CrippledCrow

Inbreeding

I'm just iffy with it. And wasn't inbreeding in a passage? Just saying because I remember these two daughters getting their father drunk off of wine to sleep with him and get pregnant.

o.

Yes, there was. Lot (or whatever his name is spelled in English) and his daughters...

Also, after the Flood, there were only Noah, his three sons and their respective wives. Guess who Noah's grandchildren married...

I am completely against immediate family relationships, which I think is normal because it's what we're always taught. First cousin wouldn't bother me.

Having said that, regardless of any genetic reason, I think there are more issues with Mother/Son and Father/Daughter because either of those have a real imbalance of power. Sister/Brother maybe not so much.

But no matter how I try to think about it just intellectually I can't help but cringe at it.

I was always surprised at how popular the Flowers in the Attic series was.

I'm not completely against immediate family relationships, but I must say it does scare the crap out of me. I've got a brother, mother, and father, and when I think of having a relationship with them... Ugh. For people who are into their family member/s/, though, good for them. Just try not to have kids.

First cousins, second cousins, blahblahblah, I'm cool with that. Probably because I don't even see my cousins so much, so they don't feel related to me. I wouldn't have an actual relationship with them, but I can understand how someone else who's into a more distant relative is.

I'm not into dadxdaughter motherxson either. I'm only okay with cousins since I've had an attraction to my cousin at a time. Even though he was blood related, it's still kinda the same concept.

I'm not into dadxdaughter motherxson either. I'm only okay with cousins since I've had an attraction to my cousin at a time. Even though he was blood related, it's still kinda the same concept.

I don't know if I was attracted, but I flirted with a cousin when I was younger once. Cousin wasn't related by blood, only through marriage, but it still creeps me out that I did that. Should I be? Not necessarily, but I think that that's something that we learn from society. What's good, what's bad, what's taboo, and society does tend to be right about as much as they are wrong.

And yep, that close in relation, father/daughter, mother/son, even brother/sister. No, just no. If that floats someone else's boat, then whatever, but it makes me cringe even thinking about it.

I want to ask WHY there is even a topic for this

If and only if it's consensual they why the censorkip.gif do people care?

Almost all the monarchies in Europe are related because of Queen Victoria yet no one raises an eyebrow when one of them gets married unless it's to a commoner

Double standard much?

Almost all the monarchies in Europe are related because of Queen Victoria yet no one raises an eyebrow when one of them gets married unless it's to a commoner

Double standard much?

Well, there's always the genetic issue.

Double standard much?

And interesting stories

I am definitely not okay with inbreeding. Mother/son, father/daughter, all kinds of those really close/intimate relations are just ... ughsdfkladjskflajdfakl. It's not healthy, either, since the gene pool is limited. The produced babies typically take the worst qualities/genes/physical traits out of each parent. If you've noticed, babies from two completely different parents (mixed background, etc) typically take the best out of them.

again, why does anyone care? are your kids, (if you want them) going to marry someone who's parents are already related by blood and thus put your theoretical grandchild at a higher chance of birth defect or illness? if that was the case then yeah I could see why some people have an issue with it. But other than that It's a lot like gay marriage.

Wanna hear something funny?

There was just 2,000 people at one point in history, now there's nearly 7 billion.

We're ALL inbred, it's just how recently ;p

My mum works for a family, they have 3 kids, all disabled. The parents are cousins so that's why. The only reason I am against family marriages, it's just isn't right for the kids. I guess if you were really in love then it's your choice. Not doing it myself personally though.

We're ALL inbred, it's just how recently ;p

While this is true, I personally would never inbreed, myself. Imagine having a romantic relationship with my brother ... :S I just think the really close ones are wrong. At least that's how I've been brought up--I mean, maybe back then in old times they thought inbreeding (as in the close-relations-kind of inbreeding) was perfectly normal. I've heard in ancient Egypt the kings married their daughters and etc., but their children ended up with a few more medical problems than usual. Now, those kind of relationships are considered taboo.

While this is true, I personally would never inbreed, myself. Imagine having a romantic relationship with my brother ... :S I just think the really close ones are wrong. At least that's how I've been brought up--I mean, maybe back then in old times they thought inbreeding (as in the close-relations-kind of inbreeding) was perfectly normal. I've heard in ancient Egypt the kings married their daughters and etc., but their children ended up with a few more medical problems than usual. Now, those kind of relationships are considered taboo.

actually it was brother sister marriage.

And in some places on the world twins are encouraged to marry because it was believed they had sex while in the womb. not sure if it's still praticed today though.

actually it was brother sister marriage.

And in some places on the world twins are encouraged to marry because it was believed they had sex while in the womb. not sure if it's still praticed today though.

Fraternal opposite-sex? Or did they do the same with same-sex twins?

waitwhat ---?

I think they're referring to an old wive's tale. laugh.gif

Here's a link: Twincest

Don't worry! It's clean and nothing graphic. It just discusses some interesting cultural assumptions about twins.

Honestly I find brotherxsister sisterxfather or whatever completely and totally disgusting. I'm sorry, but me and my father? No no no no no no no no never I would rather die. Seeing somebody as a father/mother figure or whatever and then... ugh. creeps me out. A lot. Cousins.... well, my cousins are cute but never. Second cousins are too far apart for me to care.

Fraternal opposite-sex? Or did they do the same with same-sex twins?

fracturnal

Same sex twins were required to marry other same sex twins.

incest between twins is a common feature in Indo-European, Indonesian and Oceanian mythology, and there are a few societies in which the prohibition on it is limited or it is partially accepted.

and thanks I was looking for that link

There's incest in many so called PG movies too,

Hell boy 2 the golden army anyone? The actors both admitted that Nuala and Nuada were a cannon pairing If you pay attention to the speech between the two it's clear that the king didn't approve "Father always tried to shield your heart from mine." So it's not JUST something non western countries had.

And again

IF it doesn't invole you or your family then WHY do people care?

There's incest in many so called PG movies too,

Yeah, like Gladiator! Oh wait nevermind, that was rated R.

I know I only care about others inbreeding if it involves them having children. In that case, it no longer becomes a purely personal decision as it actively affects others: the children who may have problems, their children who may have problem, their spouse who may or may not be aware of the problems that may be passed onto their children, etc.

It may also be an instinctual revulsion, since even in the wild inbreeding is unconsciously avoided. To inbreed it to increase risk of problems, and the main goal for more living creatures is to ensure the survival of their next generations as best as they can.

This topic is real interesting to read though, since where I come from having children with even distantly related family members is highly taboo. It's cool to see differing opinions on stuff =o

If people want to marry their cousins or siblings, it's cool I don't condemn you on any level. Just don't agree with breeding potential risk into offspring =)

Edited by Nine

My mum works for a family, they have 3 kids, all disabled. The parents are cousins so that's why. The only reason I am against family marriages, it's just isn't right for the kids. I guess if you were really in love then it's your choice. Not doing it myself personally though.

Question, how do you know that's why? huh.gif

Many parents who are completely unrelated have children that are disabled. Sometimes the genes just match up oddly, or they have bad luck, or there is an outside influence, such as fetal alcohol syndrome. Just because they are cousins doesn't automatically mean that is why they have children with disabilities.

this is now my favorite topic in DA.

When all the people who are in opposition to Incest can tell me WHY they are with a valid reason (ie victims of sexual assault by a family member, result of inbreeding and pissed off with the problems) then I might shut up;

But as it stands nothing more valid than "ewww! That's nasty"

Has come up xd.png

For you religious folk Adam and Eve were the first people, who do you think their sons and daughters married? Wasn't anyone else around but themselves biggrin.gif

Edited by Sorrowgrave

Honestly, inbreeding in and of itself does not cause problems. Nature doesn't immediately go "oh, they have the same parents/grandparents, time to make the offspring a freak!". If that were true, species on islands would be a mess, human or otherwise.

Inbreeding simply increases the chances that a gene will present itself. That is why inbreeding is commonly used in animals. With careful inbreeding, certain desired traits can be locked into a blood-line/breed. It can also result in homozygous presentations, so all the children will gain one gene. In animals, that is quite useful for things like color patterns, etc.

Any human or animal can be born with a defect, regardless of inbreeding or lack there of. Sometimes mutations just plain happen. It cannot be explained as to why it happens when it does; that's just how it works. Queen Elizabeth was a good example: she had hemophilia by random mutation. It wasn't because of her pedigree; it was just weird luck.

Many, many species do just fine with inbreeding. A lot of animals are in locations where they cannot wander far (horse herds in certain areas, lions in places in Africa, etc.) and they do just fine in many cases. Yes, in some cases they do not, but no one hears about the successes to be honest. Why? Because it's not interesting news. tongue.gif

The real problem with human inbreeding is that humans are not bred selectively, nor is Nature allowed to 'take its course' as it does with animals. In the wild, if an animal has health problems or genetic disorders, it dies young and 99% of the time without offspring. This clearly doesn't happen in humans; I'm not saying it needs to, but from a strictly speaking genetic standpoint, there is no real weeding out of 'bad genes' and they continue on and on because of that.

In selective breeding, such as dogs and horses, a good breeder watches the offspring closely. If they have a disorder or problem, they, at the very least, do not repeat the breeding and hopefully fix the offspring. Many will simply not breed the parents again to anything to remove the gene.

So inbreeding can and does work just fine, if done correctly and/or Nature is allowed to weed out the carriers of 'bad genes'. Even full siblings are not identical; they often get different traits and genes from the parents so if a brother/sister breeds, there is really not that much higher of a chance of their child having issues, unless the family has a known disorder that passes on frequently (such as hemophilia).