CrippledCrow

Inbreeding

Not claiming I know what it says in your ap biology textbook but it is an "exaggerated truth" or an urban legend if you rather call it that way, The probability of the baby (made by two siblings) being born with a physical deformity or mental handicap is entirely dependent upon whether the sister or the brother carry a recessive gene for such a condition.

If there is a "defected" gene in the family obviously both siblings will be carriers hence the probability wil be higher, however it is not exclusive to siblings but to anyone who is a carrier of that gene. And even if both parents are carriers, in order for the baby to actually get the condition those genes must be combined in the correct sequence to express the deformity or a handicap.

Continuous inbreeding within a family tree that has defected genes will indeed increase the chances by a lot for the said condition to occur.

Continuous inbreeding within a family tree that has healthy genes will produce healthy babies...

All of those can be avoided by genetic testing though, DNA of both parents or chorionic villus sampling for the fetus.

While I'm sure it would be rather disconcerting for the married couple, I do not believe that knowing they were related as such after being together as a romantic couple equals actually being raised together as brother and sister and then getting married. Such as I would not marry by adopted brother. He would be my brother, no matter if we shared genetics or not. Blood isn't the only thing that should be held accountable as a family tie. I just discovered over the summer that I have two half-brothers by blood, but I don't consider them family (yet).

If those people are not introduced in anyway as family, I do not find much of an issue with it.

Well, as I stated before its all a matter of personal views, if I were to discover my girlfriend is also my sister (or half sister) that would be pretty much a deal breaker, many people feel as I do and Im certain not less feel as you do.

I understand what you are saying but there is a reason for why they say blood is ticker than water, friends you can choose, family you cant, with family you are stuck for better or worse, if somebody gets sick its the closest family that is looked at as automatic donors.

You may love your friends way more than your family, they can be far more worthy of that love as well, you may consider them to be your family but blood is what it is and regardless of how we feel towards our families we are connected to them in a way in which we wont be connected to anyone else, ever.

Those summer news you've received must have been quite a shock, Im not sure how I would react but I really do hope that those two guys will turn out to be amazing dudes and that in time they will earn the right to be called your brothers wink.gif

Edited by The Evil Doer

My family isn't blood related but I had a time where I was attracted to my older cousin. Some of you may think I'm gross buy I couldn't help it. I'm not anymore but even we were blood related, it still wouldn't have stopped the way I felt.

If people want to inbreed, das cool I won't stop you. However, I can only hope that if it gets to the point that their children are being born with life debilitating deformities as a result, they die outright from birth instead of suffering for years (and possibly continuing the spread of life altering deformities to their unwitting children).

That's not some subtle avocation for killing those who have life debilitating illnesses, no =/

What I would do, IF i had a relationship with a family member is not think about having kids at all. If I did end up pregnant, I'd get rid of it. Not just thinking of myself but also thinking about the life and possible disabilities they would have.

Well actually, when I was in elementary, some other girls would talk about things like how cute their cousins were.

I actually thought it was pretty common for younger ones to have small "crushes" on their older relatives..

To a point; certainly it's why you have 'daddy's girl' or 'big, brave older brother' dynamics. There have been studies into it, but I'm not really bothered looking for them right now.

Well, Freud did something along those lines. Oedipus complex, anyone?

Well, Freud did something along those lines. Oedipus complex, anyone?

I was totally about to comment about this!

in the first generation it may go fine, but the more generations you inbreed over the bigger chance of issues, and the royal families of europe is actually a good example of this, with the last Spanish Habsburgs for instance barely being able too chew properly due too a family condition which just kept geting worse, Charles the second also had a number of other conditions including infertility

and diseases and infertility is typical inbreeding depresion signs in a line of heavy inbreeding

Haemophilia is another disease well known too the european royal family centering around the english one

so no their inbreeding has not gone over just fine, the royal families have born the brunt of the fact they inbreed so much through geting diseases and conditions

however somewhat extended "inbreeding" is what is in animalbreeding called linebreeding, and if used carefully and responsible can lead too a progress, but the key here is carefull and responsible, not overuse it so you get loads of inbreeding, just enough too fix positive traits while trying too otherwise not loose too much genetic diversity

Haemophilia is another disease well known too the european royal family centering around the english one

The hemophilia in European royal families originated with Queen Victoria, who was the original carrier of the disease. Since she had many children, many of which married into other European royal families, the disease spread. Seriously, if a female carrier of hemophilia has children with a man from the other end of the world, approximately half her sons will still be affected by the disease, while half her daughters will carry on the gene without being affected. So, no, hemophilia is not caused by inbreeding.

Oh man I thought this was about dragons.

Interesting.... nah, not into it. Just got an image of "Home" - The X-Files.

theres no such thing as completely 'healthy' or 'defected' genes in a family, if you inbreed for long enough anything will turn bad

Not necessarily. But it's more likely that a "bad" or "unhealthy" gene will turn up twice in one offspring, making it homozygotous for that allele. Also, many genes mutate quite randomly, some even rather frequently. Some changes - like blood types - don't have much of an effect, others - like sickle cell disease or haemophilia - do. (I know for a fact that the difference between "normal" blood and sickle cell blood is only one base ("letter") in the code for the beta-globin chain of haemoglobin.)

Doesn't it take many generations for that to happen?

It can happen inside of one generation; inbreeding just means it is more likely to occur with each successive generation.

One? Is it the same to where if the same parents were to keep having kids, it increases every time?

One? Is it the same to where if the same parents were to keep having kids, it increases every time?

If the same parents keep having kids, the chance of each individual child having a certain mutation - or anything genetic - is the same as the next child that couple have.

I believe that the negatives of inbreeding are much more overemphasised than their actual risk. Just because people inbreed, it doesn't spontaneously mean the offspring have some severe genetic defect, but I think people think that way as the majority of us seem hardwired to not want to breed with a relative.

To me, that would make sense - as people have said in the thread, there's an inherent risk that a recessive trait will become common, and in some cases that's not good. Genetic diversity is also good, as it promotes resilience - the more different people there are, the more likely some will survive due to those differences.

On a personal level, I wouldn't want to date someone who was a close blood relative. Even if my cousins met my criteria, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to go there.

Personally, I don't see a reason to actually avoid any cousins in general - only that I don't like mine.

I'm just iffy with it. And wasn't inbreeding in a passage? Just saying because I remember these two daughters getting their father drunk off of wine to sleep with him and get pregnant.

Then there are some people who are just down right immature about it. I have a somewhat friend in my old classes who was the result of cousins and others would pick on him, saying things like "Don't turn into a cannibal and eat me! Do you have an extra limb? Do you have super powers?" And the most uncalled for, "Are you ****ing anyone in your family too?"

He's actually very normal and has pretty high grades. I was even attracted to him years ago.

I guess it depends on how closely relate they are. My parents are actually 4th cousins, and they didn't find out until my grandma came up to them after the wedding with a family history chart.

If it was on dragons, this would be in site discussion.