CrippledCrow

Inbreeding

Searched, could not find. This came to me after a project in human anatomy class.

http://nepaliaashish.wordpress.com/2007/05...e-consequences/

We all know the stories of if you reproduce with a family member, your kids will look like aliens. Or so we thought. Royal family, Spain royal family, and so in this link have done it for a long time and showed little signs of problems. My theory, I don't believe that all the members of the Royal family were faithful to each other. I think that some women were pregnant by outside friend.

Apparently a rare gene was said to increase immune systems in inbreeding. Good side? I have personal friends who are inbred with no physical problems. My guy friend who is the offspring of first cousins is actually an AB honoral student and one of the best in football.

And yes there are the bad sides. Majority of people see it as a repulsive gross thing. My aunt's friend who is a nurse fosters two children who were the result of sibling parents. They're cockeyed and can't see straight. Barely able to talk or read. But I know it isn't their fault.

And some cultures are different than others in the past. Like Edgar Allen Poe for example. Where he was, it was normal to marry a first cousin. Some places had to require inbreeding to help the population.

You can share personal stories, say if you're inbred or have friends who are, post other links and discuss. But no attack and calling others sick in the head for their opinions.

My father is the uncle of my mother. I was sent to a foster home but this is because of other reasons. Just to share something and help get started. My body is perfectly fine. I rarely tell people because since I've been made fun of in the past.

My art friend wanted to marry her second cousin. I think they were denied a liscence, I'm not sure, I haven't talked with her about it much.

So my opinion, I'm not really a fan of it. Why? Because of genetics that could go wrong in the future.

Edited by CrippledCrow

My father was the result of second cousins. I found this out a few years ago..

Nothing can go wrong in the future as a result of it, its all just an urban legend.

It all comes down to simple biology, brother and sister who have no genetic defects wont produce a defected offspring, the chance of creating"defected" kids exists only if there are "crooked" genes in the family pool in which case the chances will indeed be higher since both parents are carriers, anything else is just stories created for moral reasons.

Woooo, nice topic!

My ex-husband was inbred on his mother's side: his great grandmother and great grandfather were first cousins. As far as I'm aware, it never caused any problems for any members of his family. I never made fun of him for it, I married him anyway (and we were later divorced for totally unrelated reasons), and it never really bothered me to think that if we had kids they'd be distantly inbred.

In general, one generation of inbreeding probably isn't going to do much from a genetic standpoint. It is repeated inbreeding over many generations which usually produces the genetic ailments that governments are seeking to prevent. Furthermore, I would imagine that most genetic ailments which appear in inbred humans are recessive traits, and could be easily resolved with an infusion of blood from a new line. According to the article the OP provided, the Royal Family of Spain suffered few to no genetic ailments, while the Royal Family of England shows hemophilia. To me, it seems as if governments use/used the argument of hereditary disease as a cover to outlaw something they saw as morally and ethically wrong.

Not for me, thanks.

First cousins? I don't much of the harm. Siblings is different. The genetics is pretty darn close and with constant reproduction of the two could be harmful with the same dna and all..

I think it's okay with animals when breeders want to better the breed/specie and they really know what they are doing and what they want to produce. But with humans that's never the case, and I think very closely related people should abstain from having children with each other just in case.

In dog breeding, "inbreeding" is specifically defined as first degree relatives. That means father-daughter, brother-sister, mother-son. Not first cousins. As a definition, it means close relatives bred together repeatedly. If someone has a kissing cousin in their background, they are not inbred. If all they have are kissing cousins for generations, then they are.

By the dog breeding definition, inbreeding in humans is wroooooong wrong wrong wrong WRONG. First cousins...well, I guess it happens occasionally, but as long as it's not enough to cause inbreeding, it probably wouldn't be a problem.

I don't see the problem with first cousin inbreeding, but I'm skeeved out by brother-sister/mother-son/father-daughter type inbreeding. That's just gross and incestuous.

Probably would be good to point out that there's a difference between inbreeding and incest. wink.gif

As for the Spanish royal family, they actually suffered quite a few genetics-related ailments, ranging from the Hapsburg jaw (an underbite so severe that the later generations had difficulty chewing their food, as well as jaw pain) to anemia to various mental problems such as mania.

MindsEye stated that "To me, it seems as if governments use/used the argument of hereditary disease as a cover to outlaw something they saw as morally and ethically wrong. " I actually think the opposite is true. Inbreeding was strongly tied to the concept of divine right. For centuries, many countries insisted upon blood superiority, and that God endorsed the ruling family. But eventually, as the physical issues began to arise, people were forced to concur that the inbred royal families were in fact, rather sickly (and had a bad tendency towards madness).

Yes I'm aware of the definitions of both inbreeding and incest and my comment about it being "incestuous" was intentional. wink.gif

I'm so very squicked by the existence of manga with brother x sister relationships that we're supposed to root for. Just no. Can't do it!

But even if it's cousins, it's just hard for me to get behind it. I know it's much less of an issue, and historically was a NON-issue, and yet... and yet.

Genetically consanguineous parents can cause many genetic problems

Let us assume two perfectly healthy siblings or first cousins decide to marry and have a child. However there is a very rare genetic defect that the famil are carriers of that due to being recessive doesn't show up in the last few generations. however every child those parents have, get a 1 in 4 chance of having the disorder and a 2/4 chance of being a carrier. see the patten below with x, y being the recessive bad gene and Y, X being the dominant good gene

parent 1 xX

parent 2 yY

child: xy xY yX YX

This is significantly more unlikely in parents who are genetically different

parent a xX

parent b YY

child xY XY

the child will now only carry the disease and not suffer from it. What if the gene for the disease is dominant and it only shows up in later life, therefore with parent 1 and 2 each child has a 3/4 chance of getting the defect gene and the disease whereas parents a and b are much less likely to pass the gene to a child.

the thing is even first cousins will have similar enough genetics from one side of the family that there is an increased risk of abnormality

I think it's okay with animals when breeders want to better the breed/specie and they really know what they are doing and what they want to produce. But with humans that's never the case, and I think very closely related people should abstain from having children with each other just in case.

Pretty much this. I don't really have a problem with even siblings marrying or whatever, but actually reproducing like that can cause serious problems. It might not always cause problems, but its not really fair to the kid to risk something like that.

Searched, could not find. This came to me after a project in human anatomy class.

http://nepaliaashish.wordpress.com/2007/05...e-consequences/

We all know the stories of if you reproduce with a family member, your kids will look like aliens. Or so we thought. Royal family, Spain royal family, and so in this link have done it for a long time and showed little signs of problems. My theory, I don't believe that all the members of the Royal family were faithful to each other. I think that some women were pregnant by outside friend.

Apparently a rare gene was said to increase immune systems in inbreeding. Good side? I have personal friends who are inbred with no physical problems. My guy friend who is the offspring of first cousins is actually an AB honoral student and one of the best in football.

And yes there are the bad sides. Majority of people see it as a repulsive gross thing. My aunt's friend who is a nurse fosters two children who were the result of sibling parents. They're cockeyed and can't see straight. Barely able to talk or read. But I know it isn't their fault.

And some cultures are different than others in the past. Like Edgar Allen Poe for example. Where he was, it was normal to marry a first cousin. Some places had to require inbreeding to help the population.

You can share personal stories, say if you're inbred or have friends who are, post other links and discuss. But no attack and calling others sick in the head for their opinions.

My father is the uncle of my mother. I was sent to a foster home but this is because of other reasons. Just to share something and help get started. My body is perfectly fine. I rarely tell people because since I've been made fun of in the past.

My art friend wanted to marry her second cousin. I think they were denied a liscence, I'm not sure, I haven't talked with her about it much.

So my opinion, I'm not really a fan of it. Why? Because of genetics that could go wrong in the future.

that would make sense if they were unfaithful and probably for the best. though each creatures is affected in different ways because of it, mice don't seem to have the problems with inbreeding for some reason.

if i remember right inbreeding, of any species will result in genetic disorders. sickness is common, just look at pure breed animals, they take more to keep them alive. my aunt has the uglest pure breed animal mistake that i have ever seen, its allergic to almost everything, its a dog. i feel sorry for the little thing. sad.gif

Nothing can go wrong in the future as a result of it, its all just an urban legend.

It all comes down to simple biology, brother and sister who have no genetic defects wont produce a defected offspring, the chance of creating"defected" kids exists only if there are "crooked" genes in the family pool in which case the chances will indeed be higher since both parents are carriers, anything else is just stories created for moral reasons.

Every human has between 6 and 13 lethal recessive genes. I'm fuzzy on the exact numbers, but yea, you increase your odds of lethal genes being inherited by having children between closely related individuals. While you're right, if brother and sister were perfectly flawless, and were not carriers for a single defect/lethal gene, then yes, no harm done, however, since every, every, human has multiple recessive lethal genes, and other non-lethal recessive genes the odds of them both having a gene like that is far larger than two individuals who are not closely related.

For the religious ones, aren't we all related?

From any standpoint, religious or scientific, we are all related.

From any standpoint, religious or scientific, we are all related.

Just saying because theirs a group of some sort that believes there was once "pure blood".

Immediate family is a definite no. That's just disgusting.

First cousins is a bit iffy. I personally am a little grossed out by it, and would never do it, but it isn't terribly awful.

Second cousins... again, I'd probably never do it, but it's alright.

Inbreeding causes genetic defects, even if they're not apparent right away. It doesn't matter if the inbreeding is between humans or animals. In fact, you see a lot of genetic defects in animals as a result of careless inbreeding. On that note, I am against reproducing with members of your immediate family. Including first cousins. The line gets progressively more vague beyond that, with second and third cousins, since the genes are so widely distributed at that point.

There's a major ick factor for me in the idea of immediate family inbreeding, I'm not going to lie (when I watched Supernatural, I avoided the fanfics like the plague. Waaaay too much incest going on there for me, gave me the same squicky feeling). I'm in agreement with some of the others, once you start getting into first, second, third cousins, etc, things get a little foggier.

Even just genetically speaking, with immediate inbreeding, seems like too many problems would arise (there's a rescued horse at the farm I ride at, was inbred to an insane amount. He's as neurotic as they come, despite his owner being an experienced trainer). And it may take years (or in some cases, generations) to see the genetic consequences take effect. I wouldn't wish that upon children. :/

I don't know enough about genetics to guess how it works out with more distant inbreeding. Someone's great-great grandcestor marrying a cousin doesn't phase me, though doing it now might cause me to lift an eyebrow.

Edited by Foxpaw

It's legal to marry your cousin in my state.

Also I wouldn't.... just no. Why exactly would I be in love with someone in my family when they're all a bunch of insane people?

Well if you want to go ahead and make your family look like the ones from Wrong Turn-/is shot

Personally, I don't like it because..well..they're your family. FatherXdaughter, just how can they see each other like that?

My father was adopted so my cousins and such aren't blood related but I still wouldn't do it.

An interesting thing to note is that First CousinXFirst Cousin is not considered inbreeding in many countries. For example, in some parts of India, the children of your father's sister and your mother's brother are fair game for marrying, while the children of your father's brother and your mother's sister are your siblings, and marrying them is considered inbreeding. In Japan, marrying your first cousin in general is perfectly fine.

I don't want to marry any of my first cousins for many reasons, mostly that they seem like my siblings or Aunts/Uncles depending on how old they are, and I find the concept icky.

Also:

The Westermarck Effect