Sign in to follow this  
dr.bieber229

Animal Questions

I agree that everyone needs to take their pets to the vet at least once every few months.

As for the people who can't afford treatments, try opening a savings account at the bank and put money in there every week or so. Then at least you have some money to pay for unexpected vet bills.

I CANNOT believe you have never taken your cats to vets. That is very negligent and ILLEGAL in most states. (If you are even from there) I know you just want to help it, but not taking to a vet is endangering you and all of your other cats. It could possibly have something that could spread to your other cats.

And please don't say 'go to the vet' because we've never gone to the vet with cats, and probably never will. If a cat gets sick in our house, we try the best we can to save it, but we're not going to the vet.

Why not?

All I have to say is: Take your cats to the vet. I highly doubt you have the information when it comes to this type of things. Its like when your ill, no one takes you to the doctor. That's not a great experience. But, if you have your legitement reasons for it, thats another story. But please, try to get them to the vet if they are showing serious illness.

Edited by CharmedWolf

Even if no one knows how to help, we'd really like to know what's wrong with him. And please don't say 'go to the vet' because we've never gone to the vet with cats, and probably never will. If a cat gets sick in our house, we try the best we can to save it, but we're not going to the vet.

Take him to the vet.

Or...find someone that would be willing to adopt him and take him to the vet.

When you have a pet, you are taking responsibility for that animal's well-being, just like if you have a child. If you cannot afford to properly care for an animal, including vet visits, or you simply don't want to fulfill your responsibility to that animal then you should not have pets at all.

I've taken rats to the ER vet even when they were sick because by bringing those rats into my home I am assuming responsibility for them. I paid for one to have a c-section due to difficulties with an accidental pregnancy. Why? because it was the right thing to do. Because I could not allow an animal in my care to suffer needlessly or to end its life because I didn't feel like getting it the proper care.

Edited by Asteris

One of my kittens has been really sick lately. He appeared at our house one day, and won't leave, but we know someone owned him before because he's the friendliest kitten you've ever seen. I'd say he's about four months old, but we're not really sure. We've had him for a few weeks, and he's never shown any signs of being unhealthy until today. We normally keep him outside, but we sometimes let him inside for awhile.

So anyway, on New Years Eve we brought him inside to stay up late with us, and he walked around a bit and we had  to keep chasing him around to put him back on a couch so he would't get into any trouble. After awhile he started snoozing nicely, so we kept him inside until the countdown. My mom and dad went to bed hours ago, and my sister went to bed after midnight, but I stayed up until 2:00 playing Pokemon Black and wondering what to do with the kitten. I could't just throw him back outside, with the kitten sleeping so nicely, but I couldn't bring him into my 'room' either, because my room is just an area in the basement, where a kitten could get into a lot of trouble unsupervised. So I decided just to let the kitten sleep, and fell asleep on the other couch.

The next morning, I woke up, and so did my mom, but the kitten was still sleeping. We waited for hours, but he didn't wake up 'till about... eleven? Then he woke up, and I put him outside, where he threw up so greeny-yellowy mucus. We gave him some water, and he drank it, but he also stepped into the dish, so we had to bring him back inside. Since then he has just been sleeping, occasionally getting up to sit somewhere else, but very rarely. He keeps throwing up the mucus, and he isn't responding to food, and it is REALLY hard to get him to drink water.

We have no idea what is wrong with him. We thought it might be chocolate, at first, because there was some in the living room, but I don't think so. He didn't seem to move from the time I fell asleep to the time I woke up, and doesn't have muscle tremors or anything. My sister has been coughing for days, and months ago (in the summer, maybe?) a litter of kittens that seemed perfectly healthy died quite suddenly, except so two who lasted longed. One of them died of the disease, and the other one seemed completely fine until the poor, stupid thing crawled into the furnace vent (long story that I don't want to tell right now). We have a bunch of other cats that seem fine and have been fine since the moment they were born, but it might just be that they are resistant to the disease.

Even if no one knows how to help, we'd really like to know what's wrong with him. And please don't say 'go to the vet' because we've never gone to the vet with cats, and probably never will. If a cat gets sick in our house, we try the best we can to save it, but we're not going to the vet.

They said they're not taking the cat the the vet, I don't really see why everyone continues to tell them to take it to the vet.

If you're not gonna take the little guy to the vet, I suggest you research antibiotics and find something that is over the counter and safe for him. Make sure you don't overdose him. As for food, have you tried small pieces of meat? Just try and get something down him every day, the most you can do is keep him warm, hydrated, and try to get some nutrition in him.

Also, what temperature is it there and how large is the kitten? Has his weight significantly dropped? If he's an outdoor cat and it's very cold, and he's small, then he either needs some way to keep warm or to be brought inside. The older he gets, the better he'll be able to handle the elements.

Edit: @Everyone else: I've never vaccinated a single one of my cats, and we have had well over a dozen cats. None of them have gotten sick once, nor have they died from a disease. All of the litters have about a 75-90% survival rate. Also, all of my cats are barn cats in a place where it freezes at night during the winter (no snow). The reason we don't vaccinate our cats is due to the fact that we have a predator problem. We put our cats in a cat cage every night, however they sometimes refuse to come in. As such, we have lost quite a number of cats to coyotes. Since they only live to 2-3 years, spending the money on all of them to get vaccinated is a waste of money.

Edited by kiffren

That's a reeeeeally bad idea, Kiff =X We're telling them to go to the vet because professional attention is the first thing the kitten needs. Giving a cat random antibiotics, especially such a small kitten, without first knowing the problem or quarantining him away from the other cats is not professional medical help.

That's a reeeeeally bad idea, Kiff =X We're telling them to go to the vet because professional attention is the first thing the kitten needs. Giving a cat random antibiotics, especially such a small kitten, without first knowing the problem or quarantining him away from the other cats is not professional medical help.

And they're not going to go to the vet, so I'm giving them the advice that I would try in their situation. If they're not going to the vet, that is their decision. The most we can do is to help that cat.

I think enough people have told them to go to the vet, if they still won't why keep repeating yourself?

Edited by kiffren

And they're not going to go to the vet, so I'm giving them the advice that I would try in their situation. If they're not going to the vet, that is their decision. The most we can do is to help that cat.

But medications meant for people can kill a cat, especially a kitten. They wanted advice, so they're getting the best advice, which is to take them to someone who knows what they're talking about.

=/ Messing with human meds is moronic. You will poison your cats if you do that. It sounds like your cat is pretty bad off, and since taking the animal to the vet is not an option, man up and euthanize it. It is inhumane to keep a suffering animal alive if you can't do anything for it, and you clearly can't, so grow a pair and give the poor creature some mercy.

=/ Messing with human meds is moronic. You will poison your cats if you do that. It sounds like your cat is pretty bad off, and since taking the animal to the vet is not an option, man up and euthanize it. It is inhumane to keep a suffering animal alive if you can't do anything for it, and you clearly can't, so grow a pair and give the poor creature some mercy.

So what, kill the cat before it even gets the chance to recover? It's been a couple days.

I've given horse de-worm meds to cats, and dogs, and rabbits. I've given human medication to dogs. If you research it properly before hand, you won't have any troubles.

Edit: http://www.benadrylfordogs.org/ Just one human medication that can be used for dogs. I researched this heavily before using it for my dog.

Edit 2: "Human drugs for pets" http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/drugs.htm

Edited by kiffren

So what, kill the cat before it even gets the chance to recover? It's been a couple days.

I've given horse de-worm meds to cats, and dogs, and rabbits. I've given human medication to dogs. If you research it properly before hand, you won't have any troubles.

That sounds like the worst idea. Why purposely give your pets something that's obviously not meant for them when you can easily take them to the vet and give them something that's actually safe and exactly what they need? What if they had reacted badly to the medication, what if you hadn't researched it properly? Then the cat would be dead, because you didn't want to take it to the vet where it should have gone in the first place.

Edit: Kiff, on one of those sites it even says...

"Please note: We are not veterinarians nor do we claim to be. Nothing here is meant to replace what your veterinarian says. Always consult with your veterinarian first. This list is provided as a guide only!"

Edited by JaziandCo

Define proper research. People google stuff all the time, and different sites say different things. I've found lots of sites recommending aspirin as pain relief for dogs, but our vet says that that's a terrible idea and can make the dog more sick. Animals can have allergies and if you don't get the dose right, you can make the animal worse.

You're not a vet, and as a matter of fact, horse deworm meds should NOT be given to cats and dogs and rabbits. Considering the average lifespan of your cats, I wouldn't exactly take your medical advice for cats. Your cats are farm cats. They die young. You could destroy their liver and have them killed by a coyote long before they show signs.

If you can't give an animal proper medical treatment and it's obviously suffering, it's cruel to leave it to suffer. They're asking people on a DRAGON ADOPTABLES SITE for medical advice for an animal, so they clearly don't have any real medical resources. In a situation where an animal is suffering and not improving, it's kinder to kill it than to stand by and watch it slowly die.

Then if they absolutely will not go to a vet, they should give the animal up to someone who will give them the proper care.

I understand that times are tough but vet care is usually cheaper than what many think and, like most things, prevention is key. I have one dog and take it to the vet usually once a year (unless he gets sick, he has allergies so that's usually why he goes more than once), typically his checkup/shots/tests cost about $75-150 TOTAL depending on what is done and how paranoid my mother is. Frontline and dewormer through the vet usually cost about $80 for a year supply (please note that my dog is indoors all the time so we do not need to give him these medications in the winter due to where he sleeps and the low temperature outside, outdoor pets may require year round treatment). Pets become expensive when they get sick, proper vaccinations and treatment typically decreases future costs in pet ownership. The most expensive vet bill I have paid was about $250 (when my dog was a pup) and it was because of my own ignorance. I had no idea that different dogs could digest different things. My dog can't have canned food or he gets gastrointestinal infections. The only way I could have found this out was through my vet, otherwise my dog would have died!

Maltreatment of animals can also have negative effects on the owner's health as well as the animals. Fleas, ticks and mites can carry diseases such as lyme disease and mange which are transmittable to humans. Some conditions such as scabies are transmittable not only from animal to human but also human to human (I have never left the US in my life and got scabies from a water park when I was a child!! Don't think it can't happen to you, bad ownership doesn't just effect the animal's owner but everyone they come in contact with). Vet bills are usually far cheaper than human medical ones. So if you (or your parents if you are younger) can't afford vet care, then it may be best to get rid of your animals. If not for the health of the animal, then for your own well being.

As for the flea on the dog, the only thing I could think of (if you are sure it wasn't a tick) is a gorged flea or a different species of flea (rather than the common "rat flea", I think is what it's call). I'd recommend not only treating the dogs, but EVERYTHING they have been around (bedding, even food dishes) with some kind of flea powder/treatment, maybe bleach some things. If they are kept in the house, you need to cleanse your whole house, fleas can be in carpet, stuffed animals, clothes, anything. If they are kept outside, you may never get rid of the fleas unless you 1) use effective flea preventative frequently or 2) get rid of all the dogs leaving no reason for the fleas to stick around.

As for the sick kitten. Odds are it wasn't chocolate. I don't think cats react to chocolate like dogs do. The reason dogs can't have things such as chocolate, grapes/raisins, and some nuts is because it causes renal failure (their kidneys stop working, it's fatal in case you didn't know, dogs have been known to die from eating as few as 6 raisins). I doubt it's your sister's cold either lol. Anyway when I hear of multiple cats, especially kittens, dying in a short period of time, I usually think of feline leukemia. I think it's spread from cat to cat through saliva so kittens get it pretty easily, can even be born with it. I do know it's the leading cause of cancer in cats and usually impairs the immune system. Just because some of your cats haven't died, doesn't mean they all don't have it. If one has it, it's likely that they all do and will eventually die of the disease. It could also be cat parvo (not sure of the actual name for it) very similar to parvo in dogs. Cat has a fever, lack of appetite, vomiting and usually dies of dehydration unless properly treated. Age can mean the difference between life and death with this disease. Kittens (just like pups) usually die 90% of the time even when treated unless the owner recognizes the symptoms early. Old cats usually die as well. If an adult cat contracts parvo, they may show the same symptoms but usually pull through which may be why your adult cats are okay. If the kitten is still alive in 24 hours, I will be very surprised. Even if it isn't either of these, the kitten clearly has some kind of stomach/intestinal disease or a parasite and will probably die. Rather than keeping the cat, take it to an animal shelter. Some shelters may charge for leaving "pets", instead call them and explain that a stray came into your yard and ask if they will take it free of charge, they most likely will.

EDIT: Not trying to take sides, but it IS possible to give human meds to animals (ie: allergy meds. I give my dog 2 1/2 loratidine every day for allergies and sometimes couple it with 1 tablet of the steroid predisone because that is what my vet said to do to keep him from ripping out the fur on his feet). However, you should never give any medication to an animal that it was not intended for unless directly instructed to by a vet (which you probably never will be unless in unusual circumstances that I can't think of). I have also seen NSAIDs be given to animals for arthritis pain, once again ask a vet!

Cheers

Edited by Panorama

Define proper research. People google stuff all the time, and different sites say different things. I've found lots of sites recommending aspirin as pain relief for dogs, but our vet says that that's a terrible idea and can make the dog more sick. Animals can have allergies and if you don't get the dose right, you can make the animal worse.

You're not a vet, and as a matter of fact, horse deworm meds should NOT be given to cats and dogs and rabbits. Considering the average lifespan of your cats, I wouldn't exactly take your medical advice for cats. Your cats are farm cats. They die young. You could destroy their liver and have them killed by a coyote long before they show signs.

If you can't give an animal proper medical treatment and it's obviously suffering, it's cruel to leave it to suffer. They're asking people on a DRAGON ADOPTABLES SITE for medical advice for an animal, so they clearly don't have any real medical resources. In a situation where an animal is suffering and not improving, it's kinder to kill it than to stand by and watch it slowly die.

When our cats had worms, I asked our vet, Dr. Anne McCabe, what medicine to give to them. She told us to give them the same de worm medicine that we give our horses, in a very small dose.

When our cats had worms, I asked our vet, Dr. Anne McCabe, what medicine to give to them. She told us to give them the same de worm medicine that we give our horses, in a very small dose.

You asked a vet. You're telling this person to ask Dr. Google. Not the same thing. If you google around you can find info like "give a small dose of aspirin to dogs if they're in pain" that is supposedly written by vets, but real vets will tell you that's wrong and will damage their liver and stomach lining. Googling is guesswork, not calling your vet and asking what to do.

You asked a vet. You're telling this person to ask Dr. Google. Not the same thing. If you google around you can find info like "give a small dose of aspirin to dogs if they're in pain" that is supposedly written by vets, but real vets will tell you that's wrong and will damage their liver and stomach lining. Googling is guesswork, not calling your vet and asking what to do.

I told them to research properly, researching involves looking for valid sources. My valid sources were Dr. McCabe, and the internet. We looked it up after she told us to make sure that the dosage was right and she was indeed correct.

When we gave our dog benadryl, we consulted the internet first and then Dr. Meyers, a human research doctor and a close family friend.

In both cases, I had a source I know was valid.

I never said just google one site and call it done, I said to properly research it, there is a huge difference. If even one site called something harmful, it's probably a bad idea to use.

Edited by kiffren

kiffrens advice sounds like the best avenue if the owner of the cat refuses to take her cat to the vet (because maybe the only vet around isn't very good, around were I live which is kinda rural, a lot of the doctors arn't very trustworthy... the same could be for her)

although I don't recommend google X(

I recommend going to a public library or other sources and researching there.

Edited by 626lavaheart

They've already said they aren't going to consult a vet though, and google is no replacement for vet care. Since consulting a vet is not an option, and the internet is as likely to poison the cat as cure it, if they really care about the cat they should end its suffering.

kiffrens advice sounds like the best avenue if the owner of the cat refuses to take her cat to the vet (because maybe the only vet around isn't very good, around were I live which is kinda rural, a lot of the doctors arn't very trustworthy... the same could be for her)

although I don't recommend google X(

I recommend going to a public library or such and researching there.

I agree, a public library is a good place to start. Or (animal) medical journals from a reputable source online. I'm at a university, so I have access to those for free. Most people can get them at their local university library, or even at some public libraries.

I agree, a public library is a good place to start. Or (animal) medical journals from a reputable source online. I'm at a university, so I have access to those for free. Most people can get them at their local university library, or even at some public libraries.

Or they could save the 2-3 days of effort in research and get the kitten to the vet immediately.

Or they could save the 2-3 days of effort in research and get the kitten to the vet immediately.

They aren't going to do that, so why does everyone keep saying that.

Obviously, a vet is the best idea. However, if they won't do that, there is no point in continuing to say "go to the vet". The most that any of us can do is help point them in the second best direction, which is what I'm trying to do.

Edited by kiffren

I think this article does a lovely job of illustrating why human meds and animal meds are not interchangeable.

I think this article does a lovely job of illustrating why human meds and animal meds are not interchangeable.

Not all human meds are safe for animals, that is why proper research is necessary with multiple trusted sources.

Sign in to follow this