Xyzaq

Sports

I did run a quick search through GD under the keyword 'sports' but didn't find anything. If there was something I missed, kindly do not eat me and just point me to the right place? thanks.

So, sports.

There's hundreds of them. Football, soccer (shutup, i'm american.), baseball, basketball, tennis, badminton, table tennis, lacrosse, field hockey, softball, mountain climbing, hiking, running, swimming, diving, dance, gymnastics, skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, BMX... others i can't be bothered to name.

I, for one, love sports. I love watching football, soccer, and basketball, but I'm not a big fan of playing. Baseball is eh. I don't really get it.

I was a gymnast, but it eventually got to be too much to handle with everything else, so I quit. I quit at age 9, around USAG level 9 because yeah. Too hard, and I wanted to do different things.

Nowadays, I run a lot and I dance a lot. During cross country season, I run an average of five miles a day. During other times, it's usually only three. During track season, I'm a sprinter, so I do 3 mile-long runs a day (not three miles at once, three separate miles), and a couple sprinting exercises.

I also dance - I have dance five days a week, for 3 hours a day. In summer, when I don't run as much because it's hot, it's seven days a week, sometimes up to eight hours a day.

Lacrosse is another side-thing I do for fun. My school doesn't have a lacrosse team, and field sports are hard to find in the city.

Another one of my favorite sports is skiing/snowboarding. I always used to ski until just last year, when I took up snowboarding. I'm not great at it, but I can get down a black diamond with a little difficulty. Skiing is easy, though. xd.png

What kind of sports do you do? Or have done? Or want to?

edited because obviously i cannot type.

Edited by Xyzaq

My favourite sport, if you could call it that, would be BMX! its a lot of fun to do and its good to watch. I also like wakeboarding! as far as more common sports go I used to be in a football team when I was younger. But I left the team when I was about 12 and only played sports as a school thing after that. now i like playing sport for fun and with friends, but not really for seriousness. I would love to do snowboarding!

I love sports! Gym was always one of my favourite subjects :3

I fence competitively. I love playing basketball (on my school's senior team), volleyball (ditto), and soccer (also on the senior team), though. I sometimes do track as well. I'm a sprinter, and I do discus.

I love to ski. I've been skiing since I was three or four. I've been doing double blacks since I was 10. I'm only just starting to really get into terrain parks, though.

Lacrosse is SO much fun.

Edited by SPQR

I do canoeing from time to time but I enjoy reading more than moving around. I just take care I do the "walk at least half an hour a day to stay healthy".

I like to bike and play basketball with my friends or my dad.

I want to learn how to fence eventually, if that counts as a sport.

Be prepared for a lecture.

Skiing is my favorite thing to do. My dad is an amazing skier, and everybody tells me I'm nearly as good as him. Last year was the first time I went since I was eight, and I pretty much picked up where I left off. Not on double blacks, because when I did one of those I wiped out terribly. It was pitiful. But the single blacks were fun, and this year my family has a season pass, so I hope to be on the double blacks in no time.

I also run, and I'm planning to do track in high school. I can easily run a 5k, because that's not really hard, and I'm working on running more than that.

I love football. My class plays football together at recess. We're in a Montessori school so the timing's all weird, and we get a full 30min recess, which is pretty nice. It's two-touch football, but we play it on blacktop and there's pretty much someone who fell or ends up going to the nurse everyday.

I used to play lacrosse, but quit when I realized even in the older teams you can't check people if you're female.

I horseback ride, and I'm quite good at it.

My interesting sport is Packgoating. I figure if hiking or running can be a sport, than so can packgoating. Packgoating is what is sounds like, hiking with goats. What might the point of that be? They can carry 20% of their body weight easily, or all of your camping gear, if you're a backpacker and know how to pack light. Now you might be wondering how this would provide any exercise besides walking. Well, you see, when the goat is about two years old, it acts like a sour little teenager. It will not move without you dragging it. It'll rear up on you. It'll try and head-butt you. So if you own your goats, you have to be prepared to flip a 200-someodd goat onto it's side and hold it there. Which I can do, and I'm only 90 lbs. xd.png

My interesting sport is Packgoating. I figure if hiking or running can be a sport, than so can packgoating. Packgoating is what is sounds like, hiking with goats. What might the point of that be? They can carry 20% of their body weight easily, or all of your camping gear, if you're a backpacker and know how to pack light. Now you might be wondering how this would provide any exercise besides walking. Well, you see, when the goat is about two years old, it acts like a sour little teenager. It will not move without you dragging it. It'll rear up on you. It'll try and head-butt you. So if you own your goats, you have to be prepared to flip a 200-someodd goat onto it's side and hold it there. Which I can do, and I'm only 90 lbs. xd.png

Do you have them on a leash? Because my family owns about 10 goats and they run waaay faster then humans. And most of the time, the goats path doesn't match your own. laugh.gif They are amusing not-so-little bunch of animals. One of them is a cutest little sweetheart, because she...*offtopic*

I'm not really that athletic; I wish I were better. ^^'

In high school, I was in volleyball for two years and then everyone in my grade that was on JV quit because we didn't like the way our coach was running things (he was a jerk, he had ridiculous favoritism in who he'd have play during games, we didn't like the way money was being used [We needed new jerseys on JV, and he said "Oh, we'll get them next year." Next year rolls around, and we don't get jerseys, but the varsity players got little towels with their names embroidered on them so they can wipe their sweat].)

Right now I'm in Budokai Karate. I started it last year, and I'm currently a yellow belt. (Ours goes white > blue > yellow > green > brown > black; with half steps on them all of course.) I just need to get in better shape and I'll be a whole lot better at it! I know the moves, remember the katas (forms), I'm just terrible at sparring because I wear out quickly.

I do synchronized swimming(WHICH IS A SPORT BECAUSE IT'S IN THE OLYMPICS,DARNIT!), and I really enjoy it. I've been doing it for a relatively short time(three years) and hope to continue to do it all the way into collage. For those who don't know what synchronized swimming is, it's pretty much "dancing in the water" but more awesome. According to Wikipedia it's a "blend of swimming, dancing and gymnastics" which explains it a bit better. We only have three two-hour practices a week because our coach is really busy with school and stuff, but hopefully we will be able to have more in the future.

PS: Here is some Olympic level synchro! What I'm doing is a lot easier of course.

EDIT:that's world championship synchro. I totally knew that. xd.png

Edited by willapigfly

oh, wow. some of you do some really cool sports.

for packgoating, packgoater, is it done often?

I do synchronized swimming(WHICH IS A SPORT BECAUSE IT'S IN THE OLYMPICS,DARNIT!), and I really enjoy it. I've been doing it for a relatively short time(three years) and hope to continue to do it all the way into collage. For those who don't know what synchronized swimming is, it's pretty much "dancing in the water" but more awesome. According to Wikipedia it's a "blend of swimming, dancing and gymnastics" which explains it a bit better. We only have three two-hour practices a week because our coach is really busy with school and stuff, but hopefully we will be able to have more in the future.

PS: Here is some Olympic level synchro! What I'm doing is a lot easier of course.

EDIT:that's world championship synchro. I totally knew that. xd.png

OMG You just totally made my day! *hugs a fellow synchro swimmer* Do you swim competetive or recreational?

I love synchro, been loving it since grade 2 or something (That would be 7 years more or less)

I swim competetivly, though I think this is my last year, since I'm getting a little too tired of having an hour plus commute to practice.

It's one heck of a work out, but really fun and definatly worth it, considering I've had the chance to swim in Finland, Luxembourg and Serbia, against some of the worlds best teams.

Edited by coralkiki

I want to learn how to fence eventually, if that counts as a sport.

*Snorts* It's a sport. One that requires hours and hours of intense training if you want to get anywhere with it.

I hate it when people (not directed at you xd.png) don't take fencing seriously. Or, better yet, they think it's putting up fences rolleyes.gif

I do Hunter/Jumper riding. :]

Other than that, not much else. I do watch sports though, I rather enjoy baseball actually, there's a lot more thought behind it than one my initially see

I used to do a lot of sports back in elementary/high school... mostly ''grab-your-belongings-and-run-away-like-hell-from-bullies''.

I have never had any luck with sports that use balls, since my face seems to be a magnet for them...

I hit people and shoot at things.

Martial arts, if you want to count it as a sport. I've been taking for about 4 years at a traditional school, just got black belt. I've been training off and on in MMA for about 2 years now, and I have to quit my other school for financial reasons, so I'm looking to get into MMA training and maybe be good enough to fight a few times once I'm old enough to do amateur fights.

I also enjoy shooting sports. Target shooting, skeet, fun stuff.

As far as watching sports, I generally don't care about college sports and most pro sports, but I'm really into pro football. I'm a diehard Denver Broncos fan, always have been, always will be <3

The only sport I really like playing is badminton. I'm not a very sporty person. XD

I won't do any sport that involves me being on something anymore. Sledding, roller or ice skating, skateboarding, skiing, snowboarding, etc. Won't do 'em, I've had nothing but bad luck with them. ._. (Actually, looking at that list I should probably avoid sports that start with "s"...XD)

Right now I'm in Budokai Karate. I started it last year, and I'm currently a yellow belt. (Ours goes white > blue > yellow > green > brown > black; with half steps on them all of course.) I just need to get in better shape and I'll be a whole lot better at it! I know the moves, remember the katas (forms), I'm just terrible at sparring because I wear out quickly.

Sparring takes awhile to get used to. If you're having trouble keeping your hands up, practice holding your arms out, straight out to your sides as long as you can while rocking up and down on the balls of your feet. Get in a rhythm, make as tight a fist as you can and release while you're rocking. Your arms start to burn fast, but the more and the longer you do it, the better you can hold your arms up.

Other than that, just do a lot of cardio to build up endurance. It takes awhile, but it's worth it in the end. What used to kill me is no sweat now.

Sparring takes awhile to get used to. If you're having trouble keeping your hands up, practice holding your arms out, straight out to your sides as long as you can while rocking up and down on the balls of your feet. Get in a rhythm, make as tight a fist as you can and release while you're rocking. Your arms start to burn fast, but the more and the longer you do it, the better you can hold your arms up.

Other than that, just do a lot of cardio to build up endurance. It takes awhile, but it's worth it in the end. What used to kill me is no sweat now.

Thanks for the tips. The arm thing is certainly part of my trouble; I've been trying to work on that. The biggest part, I think, is the endurance, which I definitely have to improve on.

And also get used to hitting people, I guess. I'm not so bad against the senior students, but I still tend to instinctively apologize when I think I've hit someone too hard. xd.png

Do you have them on a leash? Because my family owns about 10 goats and they run waaay faster then humans. And most of the time, the goats path doesn't match your own.  They are amusing not-so-little bunch of animals. One of them is a cutest little sweetheart, because she...*offtopic*

Sometimes. Only when there's people, dogs, or there's a poisonous plant around. My goats are well trained and stick on the trail. I bottle fed them and they're highly bonded to me to the point where my main packgoat, Oreo, will stand in front of me and try to protect me if he sees a dog. I can drop his lead and he'll follow me wherever. We do an obstacle course at the fair, like agility for goats, and they're trained to do that stuff as well as carry things. Water is probably the hardest thing to get them through, because they do not like water. At all. D:

for packgoating, packgoater, is it done often?

Out on the west coast of the US, yes. Goats can be rented there for trips to carry your stuff and such. Where I live? Not so much. I live on the east coast of the US, and we're bringing it over here. I actually have a group of friends who do it. It's pretty cool. I've met nearly everyone on the east coast who does it, so it's only about 50-60 people who do it out here.

Aww...bottle fed goats are the most people-friendly and obedient goats. We have one bottle fed goat, she's little, dark grey sweetheart. The rest are pretty much wild, people-phobic creatures.

*so it isn't off-topic* I have done many sports over years; folk dancing, something that resembles ballet, basketball, belly dancing, Tae Kwon Do for three years, and currently, soccer. Also horse-riding on Sundays. I'm a very sporty person. wink.gif

I liked Tae Kwon Do the most. I never got higher than white belt (though I was supposed to take the exams to advance to yellow belt) but I still very much liked it. Unfortunately, the coach got a job in Norway and canceled the lessons. I miss them because I want to advance and I liked the people in my group. The belts go white>yellow>blue>red>black in Tae Kwon Do.

Horse-riding in also one of my favourites. Today, we had a Training Lesson From Hell. The coach told us to do gymnastics in the saddle while trying to keep the horses moving and going in the right direction (which we very often failed to do) and at the end of the lesson, we took off the saddles and rode without the saddle. And it was raining for the whole time...I wanna do it again! laugh.gif

Edited by LwyllasLaVey

Formal competitive teams:

Dressage (was on college team)

Volleyball (was on high school varsity team)

For fun:

Ski

Canoe

Tennis

I also used to do Seikido. It's a pretty new martial arts form that has elements of Tae Kwon Do and Aikido in it. I was a blue belt. Our belt system went: white, yellow, red, green, blue, brown, black. There were three "stripes" for each belt level.