Rixie Pakuna

Journal Thread

What do you think of a board for for journals?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been searching for a board where each person can make their own personal thread. They would put information about what dragons they have, what dragons they want, special achievements, and overall keep it as a journal that they can share with others.

What they could do is make a new topic under the board, naming it something along the lines of "Rixie's dragon journal" or something more creative like "a thick green tome". Of course you could write an even better description in the topic description: "a heavy, forest green tome bound with leather and gold threads".

They'd be allowed to post (and yes, double post) to put down all the info. that they want. For example:

1st post: introduction and basic info

2nd post: my favorite dragons (and maybe links to the favorite 2-3?)

3rd post: projects

4th post: what i have

5th post: wishlist

By no means would this become mandatory, but it would make a board where everyone can have their own nice thread where they can keep track of what they have and what they need. Potential traders could be directed to your thread to see what you're looking for, or you could just keep it to record the history of your time here at dragon cave.

I don't really see a need for this. It's a cute idea, but with all the people on this forum there would have to be a whole subsection or something, and it's really just not needed.

We have trading threads and "what do you need to complete your scroll" type of threads. We have threads about different scroll projects, what people's favorite dragons are, etc.

Many people also use their signature to post their wishlist, so that it's visible everywhere they post.

i think it would be cool to have this, where everything is concentrated into one thread. yes, there is no need for it...but there are pros and cons.

a pro would be like, everyone can post their wishlist and their current lineage projects or dragon collecting goals, where gifters and traders can see everything that they could possibly give/trade (i know we have a "wishlist" thread, but i see that mostly people use it as a checklist for things they need, but it is very messy; because some users have posted more than once by "updating" and new users who up and quit already).

a con would be...well, spam. the section would be flooded with new topics by users and i'm sure some people would "bump" theirs by posting things in the thread so they can have more people look at their wishlist.

i'm sure if anything, if this is added, there would need to be certain guidelines set in place to avoid useless spam and such.

Having multi-person threads for things one wants to keep track of is... Well, ridiculous. How would one ever keep track of their post? And how would you concentrate all the things you want?

And making it's own subtopic is kind of the point.

I don't think anyone actually goes through the list of topics and reads peoples' wishlists... The idea is for the board to just be there, holding all the topics. Giving them residence, so to speak. When you want someone to see your wishlist, you can give them the link, and put the link in your signature, on your profile, or wherever else we're allowed to put it.

If people spam anyway, we can implement a no-more-than-10-post rule. I'd rather not do that, as I don't think it would be necessary, but if it turns out that it is, then so be it.

I really don't see any reason to NOT do this. I don't think there's any major work that has to be done. Yes, a sub-board or board of its own must be made... But beyond that, everything else is up to the user to decide how to format and organize their information.

And to be honest, I think there IS a need for it. Where else am I supposed to put my stuff: My notes and my references, things to point out about certain dragons or about my cave in general? You say there are threads where people post things that they have/ info about breeding projects, but what if it gets wiped?

Note: I'm OCD, so my need for an organized notebook/journal to record what's happened, what's happening, and what I hope is going to happen, might have something to do with that.

Edit: also, where are the "what do you need to complete your scroll" threads? Does everyone get their own? If this gets shot down, I might try to start there.

Edited by Rixie Pakuna

I don't think anyone actually goes through the list of topics and reads peoples' wishlists...

Then what makes you think they'll actually read your thread? "Wishlist in profile" means the wishlist is a click away. "Here, this is my wishlist follow this link" also means it's just a click away.

If they can't be bothered to check now, especially if the wishlist is right there in the signature, why would they even care about sifting through the thread that could quite possibly have a lot of information they don't care at all about just to find your wishlist/what you still need?

Honestly, I don't see a need for this, nor would I be likely to use it were it to be implemented. However, aside from not seeing much use for it myself, I don't see why it would be a bad thing to have for people who want it.

a con would be...well, spam. the section would be flooded with new topics by users and i'm sure some people would "bump" theirs by posting things in the thread so they can have more people look at their wishlist.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by that @KageSora.

I meant that in response to the above text. People wouldn't be bumping the threads to get others to check their wishlist, because most people probably wouldn't be looking through the threads on the board. The board would just be there to house the journals and provide a place for the topics to live.

So, you want to use the forums to house tons and tons of threads that no one is supposed to respond to?

..... That's not really what forums are for.

If you just want to keep a list, keep it in Notepad or a spreadsheet or your profile/sig/whatever. Making threads and *expecting* that no one will reply to them, having a whole sub-forum where people are *expected* to not reply to threads.... Doesn't really make sense.

There's already a wishlist thread that people can make use of...

I don't really see the need for a thread for people to keep track of their breeding, or whatever. Assuming we all have computers, we have word and excel, or if we just have internet access, there's google docs which can even be shared with others! And there's the notepad on the forums, and your profile.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by that @KageSora.

I meant that in response to the above text.  People wouldn't be bumping the threads to get others to check their wishlist, because most people probably wouldn't be looking through the threads on the board. The board would just be there to house the journals and provide a place for the topics to live.

People aren't just bumping those threads as it is now, either (well, most people). They are used exactly for what you are suggesting: you make a post in those threads, then put a link to that post in your signature. When something in your wishlist or project changes, you can just click that link yourself and edit that post. (I used this for almost a year, now the links in my sig go to places I made myself, not because that is more convenient, but because I think it looks nicer).

When those threads are wiped, only posts that haven't been edited for X time are deleted.

So, the functionality that you are looking for is already here for the most important uses, and I think this system is better than a lot of individual threads.

I think in theory this is a nice idea that would work nicely and it's something you see a lot in RPG boards, where there's a place to put information about your character and bios and stuff.

However, the reasons that I think that this unfortunately wouldn't work on DC is because:

1. This site is just too big. There are so many members that instead of just having a couple of pages of nice little libraries that you can browse through, there would be hundreds of topics and it would just get really messy.

2. I think a lot of the information would be a little bit unnecessary. The kinds of information that you would want to look up about another person (or that I'd want to look up, at least) is what projects they're currently working on and general information about how they do things on DC. But unfortunately, I think that more often than not, there would end up being a lot of clutter that isn't really that useful to anyone.

So I think it's a nice idea and everything, but I think the board is just too big for something like this to work. I think it would just get really messy and out of control really fast. Plus, people are always coming and going and it would be really difficult to tell which threads are up to date and which have just been abandoned.

Sorry! sad.gif I just think stuff like this is better off on smaller boards.

There are so many members that instead of just having a couple of pages of nice little libraries that you can browse through

But that's what I've been trying to explain... >_< It wouldn't be necessary to go browsing through them... People can if they want, but why would they?

And to be honest, I don't care so much about the wishlist as the lists of what we have. I just added that in there since everyone seems fond of linking it in their signature.

Plus isn't the profile only like... 1,000 characters? Don't think that's enough room to list how many of what I have, what I can breed, etc.

But that's what I've been trying to explain... >_< It wouldn't be necessary to go browsing through them... People can if they want, but why would they?

And to be honest, I don't care so much about the wishlist as the lists of what we have. I just added that in there since everyone seems fond of linking it in their signature.

Plus isn't the profile only like... 1,000 characters? Don't think that's enough room to list how many of what I have, what I can breed, etc.

The trouble is, unless it's for a specific Breeding project or something, you don't really need to list stuff like that on the forums. Just put it in Google Docs if you want to share it with people, you can make it public and just give the link to people as necessary. That way it's not taking up forum resources.

The trouble is, unless it's for a specific Breeding project or something, you don't really need to list stuff like that on the forums. Just put it in Google Docs if you want to share it with people, you can make it public and just give the link to people as necessary. That way it's not taking up forum resources.

Still rather have everything located in one place (on one site) rather than scattered between here and google docs...

And no, I suppose it's not exactly for breeding projects (for me anyways). I'm just OCD and if I could, I'd make a seperate table for every breed of dragon... But that's beside the point.

It seems like I'm losing this, so I'm going to ask again: where are the wishlist thread things? And where are the "what do you need to complete your scroll" threads? Does everyone get their own?

"Complete Your Scroll, Wishlist"

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=51336

"Scroll Helpers, For the wish lists"

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=127637

"The Newbie Gifting Project Thread, Fullfilling wish list of newbies"

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=120519

Again, these are not "everyone gets their own" these are threads where people all post what they want and other people can help you get those things. Again, the forum really isn't the right place for a "everyone gets their own" type of thing. Forums are basically chat places, not your own personal note station.

it would help keep my thoughts organized rather than just in random messages sent to myself.

I support this, for keeping track of breeding projects and lists. I know I can make a Google Doc/other website to keep track of things, but it's more convenient to have it here.

I support this, for keeping track of breeding projects and lists. I know I can make a Google Doc/other website to keep track of things, but it's more convenient to have it here.

Support for this reason.

I would rather have a notepad-type place on your own scroll where you can keep little notes and keep track of dragons/breeding, rather then having a whole subsection of forum dedicated to something many people wouldn't use.

I think it makes more sense to have it on your scroll, too, instead of on the forums. And I know there has been a suggestion like that, but I can't find it.

A personal journal would be no different than a Blog. So I think IF people wanted to do something like this then they would simply have their own Blog. And I know alot.png of people make spread sheets on google Docs.

Edited by Saori_Nightstar

I don't believe a whole section for this is necessary, but if you did want to do this for yourself (if I'm understanding correctly) Original Works would work just fine.

We also already have: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=25808

However, if you wanted to make a thread like the Personal Lineage Projects thread in Original Works for a more organized version, I wouldn't be opposed. People could link their journals in their sigs like they do now for their wishlists or lineage projects. ^^

The biggest problem with using the forum for this, in my opinion, is that it is made to interact. A forum thread is made to be post-and-replies. So if you have a place where you can put your personal notes, there will always be people replying to that. This could be useful replies (I can breed that YxZ dragon you need for your project), more often it will be people begging (could you please please please breed me a Gold?), or just commenting (I think Y breed looks bad in a lineage with Z breed) or even trolling (hahaha you have a lot of inbred dragons! Don't you know they're worthless?).

As I see it, that could only lead to trouble...

If it is just to keep notes for yourself, make a spreadsheet or text document on your own computer, or as indicated, on Google Docs. I don't really get the 'it would be better to have it in one place'-argument. If you use Google Docs, it IS in one place: the internet, accessible from the same computer through the same browser... It's not like you need to take a bus to get from one place to another.

I even think it will be easier to find than in a section with 20.000 other threads from other users, that gets sorted by the date something was added to it last...

If it is to list things you want others to be able to see, Google Docs still works, and so do the threads that already exist. If there is something that doesn't have a thread yet, you could start one.

I really don't think individual threads can work.

Again, these are not "everyone gets their own" these are threads where people all post what they want and other people can help you get those things. Again, the forum really isn't the right place for a "everyone gets their own" type of thing. Forums are basically chat places, not your own personal note station.

Thanks for the links, but I've looked through them and none of them help... How am I supposed to keep track of where my post is? And I'm not looking for somebody to help me complete my scroll... (That seems WAY too demanding... asking for one of EVERY SINGLE dragon there is? Aren't there like... 50? O_O)

A personal journal would be no different than a Blog. So I think IF people wanted to do something like this then they would simply have their own Blog. And I know alot.png of people make spread sheets on google Docs.

What do you mean by have your own blog? Where? And again, it would just be really nice to have everything in one place, not scattered over multitudes of sites.

We also already have: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=25808

However, if you wanted to make a thread like the Personal Lineage Projects thread in Original Works for a more organized version, I wouldn't be opposed. People could link their journals in their sigs like they do now for their wishlists or lineage projects. ^^

Thank you so much. You've probably had the most helpful post so far. On a side note, that thread looks cool but it's not really what I was looking for... (And as I mentioned earlier, how would I ever find my post again? sad.gif )

So if you have a place where you can put your personal notes, there will always be people replying to that. This could be useful replies (I can breed that YxZ dragon you need for your project), more often it will be people begging (could you please please please breed me a Gold?), or just commenting (I think Y breed looks bad in a lineage with Z breed) or even trolling (hahaha you have a lot of inbred dragons! Don't you know they're worthless?).

As I see it, that could only lead to trouble...

But that's why I keep saying... there would be a rule as to who can or cannot post, I'm thinking only the creator of the thread, and/or maybe moderators, if they need to point out something that needs to be fixed.

I even think it will be easier to find than in a section with 20.000 other threads from other users, that gets sorted by the date something was added to it last...

And I don't think it would be easier to find... Because the whole point of having a thread specifically for your lists and lineages is that you can just take the URL and add it to favorites. I'd probably put it in the favorites bar so I never even have to open the favorites tab. Just open the web browser, click the link in the favorites tab, and I'm at my thread.

And just as a side question, why is it that in the poll, so many more people say they support this idea, whereas in the actual posts, very few seem to support it?

*pops in*

You know, it's possible to link directly to a post in the same way you can link directly to a thread. If you click on the little "Posted On" at the top of a post right before the date it was posted, it gives you the direct link to that post. So a thread where everyone gets one post to compile all their information would work just as well as an entire board where everyone gets their own thread.

*pops out*