TheGrox

Dragon Caveology

What does everyone think about moving this to the Help Section? After all, it is to help newbies primarily.

Also, hows about a name change? Do you like it the way it is, or do you think it should be different? Maybe "DragCave Community Tips" ? or "Newbies Guide to DragCave" ?

Any other ideas are very welcome!

Very nice guide. Two things:

1. Small, tiny, insignificant grammar nit-picks: "Be part of the community. People are much more likely to accept an IOu " - missed a capital.

"Prioritise. Keep your main goals in site." - Used the location variant. It should probably be "sight". Unless that's a regional difference hat I'm unaware of. If so, tell me. xd.png

2. Addition ideas!

Don't stalk the cave when you're locked. This will only open the door to disappointment when you see that CB Silver pass right by and you can't grab it. Stalking the AP when locked isn't a very good idea, either, but alt least you can grab hatchies.

As for the trophies: Grab lower-time eggs from the AP If you're just trying to get the next trophy level, grabbing a coupe 4d23h eggs can speed up the process. Actual ER eggs are harder to catch, but those that still have a full day to hatching don't go quite as fast.

EDIT: I think this would be great as a stickied guide in help, or an oft-bumped one.

Edited by AlternateMew

Regarding potentially moving this to "help" - personally, I think it works better here in SD. In general, I believe help is kept pretty all-business and cleaned out as much as possible, where here there's a little more room for general discussion of subjects and tossing around helpful ideas. :3

Regarding potentially moving this to "help" - personally, I think it works better here in SD. In general, I believe help is kept pretty all-business and cleaned out as much as possible, where here there's a little more room for general discussion of subjects and tossing around helpful ideas. :3

Those were my thoughts too. In fact, I think that it would only be useful in the Help Section if it were stickied. But I have to toss ideas out there to see what everyone else thinks.

I have also added some more tips from everyone's posts. Keep them coming!

I do think that this is the better place for it. After all, it isn't meant for people seeking immediate answers to specific questions. It has more to do with experience-sharing, and I like it being a little less cut-and-dry than the usual help topics. PLUS, as someone who was recently new, I can say that the forum is a bit daunting, and I didn't explore all areas of it right away. But I think that the Site Discussion section is the one most likely to attract the attention of newbies, as it contains trading, breeding, and, well, general discussion of the game. This is the sort of discussion I'd *hoped* to find here, but it didn't exist when I joined!

EDIT: May I suggest adding the info from my previous post about how to disable Javascript in Firefox to the first entry, where you have the information about turning off Background images? Also, I can't seem to follow the image advice! I can't find the proper menu in the current version of Firefox. Any tips, anyone?

Edited by Kelkelen

Did you look under Tools > Options > Content? That's where I unchecked "load images automatically" and "enable JavaScript". I did this in the newest version of Firefox so I'm hoping that helps you smile.gif

Yes, I'm fine with that -- in my version, there's a small orange tab labelled "Firefox" in the upper left. I can click it for a drop-down menu, select "Options," and uncheck those two things. But a different poster had mentioned something that was specifically for background images -- so you could still see the images of eggs on the AP, for instance, but the background patterns didn't have to load. Any idea what that is, or where I might find it? The menu she said it was in, was one which I don't seem to have.

Sorry Kelkelen, I cant help you there, I'm a Chrome user smile.gif.

And yes, to your previous post, I will add the info about disabling Javascript in your previous post to the main post... Just not right now... I'm going to bed. I'll do it tomorrow. wink.gif

Yes, I'm fine with that -- in my version, there's a small orange tab labelled "Firefox" in the upper left. I can click it for a drop-down menu, select "Options," and uncheck those two things. But a different poster had mentioned something that was specifically for background images -- so you could still see the images of eggs on the AP, for instance, but the background patterns didn't have to load. Any idea what that is, or where I might find it? The menu she said it was in, was one which I don't seem to have.

View -> Page Style -> No Style.

<^-^>

View -> Page Style -> No Style.

<^-^>

I can't for the life of me fine the "View" menu! My options seem to be Bookmarks, History, Downloads, Add-Ons, Options, and Help. And I can't find View or Page Style in the Options menu, either. So confused... blink.gif I feel very ignorant right about now...

I can't for the life of me fine the "View" menu! My options seem to be Bookmarks, History, Downloads, Add-Ons, Options, and Help. And I can't find View or Page Style in the Options menu, either. So confused... blink.gif I feel very ignorant right about now...

Ah! I forgot about that one too. This is a screenshot of my Firefox browser which shows the View link:

user posted image

I can't for the life of me fine the "View" menu!  My options seem to be Bookmarks, History, Downloads, Add-Ons, Options, and Help.  And I can't find View or Page Style in the Options menu, either.  So confused...  blink.gif I feel very ignorant right about now...

Different version? For me it looks like this:

user posted image

--------------------------

EDIT: Also, I thought of something else that might be helpful. Or, it might need it's own short guide. I dunno. Anyway: Working your way to getting a Zombie. You can't trade for them, and frankly, some people really do have a problem with killing pixels (*raises hand*). If it helps, here are my tips:

- Start small. Breed a pair of your dragons whose hatchling form you find adorable and freeze it. I also suggest first freezing a CB Nocturne - a species that changes sprite, so it doesn't feel like you're literally freezing it in time as a statue or something. This may seem trivial to some, but some hate freezing as much as killing.

- Obtain a Vampire adult, breed or grab a CB egg, and bite it. Chances are, it will die. But the goal was to get another Vampire, not to kill it. Technical accidental death. If it turns, then bonus! Enjoy your new Vampire egg! If you don't want to collect Vampires, here's a tip: they're decent trade fodder due to the high kill rate of Bite nowadays.

- Keep doing the above until you're comfortable with dead eggs.

- Experiment. There are sources that will gladly share tips on how to get a Neglected dragon. Neglected Dragons are very sought after, and a successfully experiment is extremely rewarding whether you keep it or trade it. The catch is, most experiment eggs will die. To the point where instead of planning to have a new hatchie, you should plan on having a dead egg. This is after Vampires because generally, the egg will sit on your scroll for a week, taking up space and taunting you. "Hatch me!" And you may grow attached to it and listen. Resist. It will probably die.

- Once you're comfortable with eggs that are practically on death row, now comes an even tougher part. Hatchies. Hatchies can be experimented on, but it's harder. My tip: wait until the month of Halloween. Obtain hatchies who will die if not grown up by Halloween and fog them. Now forget about them. Move them out of sight, if you must. Let them die within two weeks before Halloween. Preferably, as early as possible within the two weeks before Halloween. They're your Zombie hatchie fodder. Or, just pretty little Halloween decorations! The more tombstones you have, the more you can decorate your scroll! wink.gif

- Hopefully, you got adult Zombie fodder. Because they're the final step. The awful part. Adults can't be timed out. They don't die on their own. You do have to kill them yourself. And that message is horrible. Anytime within 2 weeks before Halloween, do just that. Kill them. One final tip: you don't have to look at the message. Submit Kill, then don't look. move most of your browser off screen if you must, and close the window/tab after it loads. You can see if the Kill was successful by checking the dragon's page after.

- Revive all fodder on Halloween. Many will likely turn to ashes. That's okay, you tried. Enjoy any successes! cool.gif

Edited by AlternateMew

They don't die on their own. You do have to kill them yourself. And that message is horrible. Anytime within 2 weeks before Halloween, do just that. Kill them. One final tip: you don't have to look at the message. Submit Kill, then don't look. move most of your browser off screen if you must, and close the window/tab after it loads.

Gah, that message creeps me out too. I don't like killing dragons, but I do it at Halloween for the Zombies...

For Halloween, I killed the dragons that I wasn't attached to.

Yep, it was 'bye bye' to all those messy lineages sat on my scroll... And 'hello' to some Zombies smile.gif

@ AlternateMew -- The zombie advice is great. I think it should be its own thread! That would make it more easily findable for those who are looking for zombie-specific information, plus the title would certainly draw people in. It seems a bit too specific for a thread about how to play well in general, and I'm afraid it might end up a bit lost/overlooked if it stays here.

Speaking of titles, @ TheGrox -- I think this thread title is just fine! It says what it is, and it's fun and enticing. If I'd seen it when I was completely new, I would certainly have clicked on it just to see what people were saying. I wouldn't label it outright as something for newbies, since there's the FAQ and various help threads for that. Rather, it's more about how to play the game.

@ AlternateMew -- The zombie advice is great. I think it should be its own thread! That would make it more easily findable for those who are looking for zombie-specific information, plus the title would certainly draw people in. It seems a bit too specific for a thread about how to play well in general, and I'm afraid it might end up a bit lost/overlooked if it stays here.

I agree with this. I would happily put them in this thread, but they are a bit specific to be here really. If I were you I would go and make your own thread similar to this one with your information in, though I fear that, without regular bumping, your information will be lost after a while...

Some useful links to include in the first post might be:

-- the Zombie tips (once they are their own thread)

-- "Question About a Trade" (that's the one I couldn't find before, about how much different dragons seem to be worth on the marketplace)

-- and maybe the "Wishlist" link, so people know there's a place to post their wants that others are likely to see (well, either that or in their profile).

I mean, it all depends on what's mentioned in the first place, and if they seem like they would be useful. Just a thought.

Some useful links to include in the first post might be:

-- the Zombie tips (once they are their own thread)

-- "Question About a Trade" (that's the one I couldn't find before, about how much different dragons seem to be worth on the marketplace)

-- and maybe the "Wishlist" link, so people know there's a place to post their wants that others are likely to see (well, either that or in their profile).

I mean, it all depends on what's mentioned in the first place, and if they seem like they would be useful. Just a thought.

Good idea, I will definitely add those links, but it is a bit awkward right now, as I am on my iPod's Internet browser, not my computer. I know I keep saying this, but I'll do it tomorrow, promise! rolleyes.gif

Some might find this useful:

Just how fast is my internet connection?

You can find out by testing it here

My results: user posted image

Some might find this useful:

Just how fast is my internet connection?

You can find out by testing it here

My results: user posted image

Another great idea, I hadn't thought of that. I will add that to the main post tomorrow. wink.gif

Just a thought- maybe add something about the way the ecology of the cave works? I know its on the help menu of the scroll, but people seem to be a bit confused about "cave blocker" eggs.

Especially the bit where if you grab it, toss it to the AP 5 hours later, and no one ever claims it, IT WILL JUST WIND BACK UP IN THE CAVE. Then again.... maybe not. I like being able to scoop up cave born dragons with < 6 days! biggrin.gif

Just a thought- maybe add something about the way the ecology of the cave works? I know its on the help menu of the scroll, but people seem to be a bit confused about "cave blocker" eggs.

Especially the bit where if you grab it, toss it to the AP 5 hours later, and no one ever claims it, IT WILL JUST WIND BACK UP IN THE CAVE. Then again.... maybe not. I like being able to scoop up cave born dragons with < 6 days! biggrin.gif

Abandoned commons from the cave which are tossed back into the AP could go back into the cave?!? Even I didn't know that... blink.gif

I will definitely add a link to the help section of DC, and I will probably mention this too. You learn something new every day! ohmy.gif