Lilithiana

Humanity's Future

What will happen to humanity?  

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People, you remind me of that stupid joke:

One planet meets another.

"How are you?"

"Not so good, I have the humans."

"Don't worry, they'll be over in no time." xd.png

Anyway, regarding super-volcanoes: Yes, there are several, and I know of two rather active ones, Yellowstone and that whole system around the Vesuv. The latter is worse, though, because most of the caldera is under water, in the gulf of Naples. If that one erupts, the water will go down to meet the hot magma and cause another big boom.

However, to quote the last source mentioned:

Some experts believe that a super volcano in the United States may soon erupt with such force as to lay waste much of North America. Moreover they believe that such an event may now be imminent and would constitute a major catastrophe whose effects would be felt around the world and push Mankind to the very brink of extinction. 

Imminent, in geological time scales, means "sometime in the next 100,000 or so years, maybe later".

So, is a super-volcano eruption imminent? Most likely yes. Will we be there to witness it - even through the media? Most likely not.

What is much more worrysome in my mind is the possibility of a major impact. Sure, the solar system has been cleared of many of the larger things floating around, thanks to the giant planets, but it's still far from empty.

Imminent, in geological time scales, means "sometime in the next 100,000 or so years, maybe later".

Hey, if you're talking dating from rock strata then in geological terms "within 100,000 years" is considered to be dead accurate.

@TikindiDragon: Well, Uranium isn't that abundant either. Like coal ond oil it's only something else we'll run out of sooner or later. On the other hand: when the stuff gets rare industries will just use more expensive and devastating procedures to get it. As long as it pays they'll do it.

In any case I don't think energy will be the critical point.

@olympe: I didn't know that one. I like it. biggrin.gif

@Tiffashy: Yes, I know. But I mean a really big one whose impact would cause a drastic change in climate. Like the one that got the dinosaurs. or maybe lots of smaller meteors like the ones which erased Sodom and Gomorrha.

@MindsEye: I always wonder why the "zombies" don't rip each other to pieces. You would just have to hide and wait.

Or maybe there is a God or Goddess after all who gets enough of us and just strikes us down. We all know humanity would deserve it.

id expect that (hopefully?) humanity will be advanced enough by the time our "world" goes boom we will be safe/out of reach. but, who knows.

Honestly, I think mother nature is just going to strike back at some point. Once we get to many people on this earth she'll do something to thin the numbers down. She may even just wipe us all out.

Either that or we're just going to drive ourselves to extinction.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I think humanity will survive. Somehow, some way; we're a tough species. We've lived through some pretty rough times and when it comes down to the nitty-gritty we're mostly good at working together to solve problems and preserve ourselves. We'll be out of here and into space by the time the Earth is consumed by the sun.

i actually want humanity to die out... i'm not a fan of humanity but then again i have been exposed to the nasty side of it a lot thus my view is very jaded

We're probably gonna blow ourselves up, or just die from pollution.

Nah, pollution alone won't kill everybody. Not even with global warming, rising sea levels, more and stronger hurricanes (up to hypercanes), increased lethality and all that. There will always be places that are (almost) free of the consequences, or will thrive under them. (Hey, if the global temperature raises by 20 degrees, antarctica might become a nice place to live.)

Pretty much, ourselfs are our biggest enemies. Maybe we could die from something like a disesce, pehaps anther black death? (poor at spelling)

Or maybe we go all violent and kill each other? Well it would have to be something really strong, since there is so much of us

Yeah pretty much. We're currently the top of the food chain because of our use of technology, but it's that tech and the constant drive to improve it and implement it into our daily lives that's ruining everything right now.

Humanity has the ability to survive. Unless some stellar or cosmic event happens I doubt we'd be wiped out entirely. We're like cockroaches, except slightly less loveable.

@ Tiffashy: When I say Zombies, I don't mean exactly dead people who have become reanimated and risen from the ground. I've done more than a little research on virus zombies. There are several scientific theories floating around wherein viruses like Rabies and Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (aka Mad Cow Disease) could be mutated or weaponized into diseases that would produce some very zombie-like humans. I don't think it's exactly likely, but if the end of the world is coming... zombies please. wink.gif

It's kinda funny how something as "fantasy" related could be a possibility through man altered diseases. The U.S. government has also taken precautions for zombie invasions...not that the country's government decisions haven't been laughable.

I vote rabies though.

We're like cockroaches, except slightly less loveable.

I like that. biggrin.gif

@Keriel: I sometimes think that, too. Humanity is creepy.

Capitalism will be the death of us all. The push for personal gain has led people in power to exploit and destroy the less-privileged without shame, all for the constant want for a bigger number in the bank account.

Yes, because hard work and wealth building are inherently evil things that will kill us all. Instead, let's give the same amount of money to Billy Bob sitting on his couch drinking beer all day as we give to the manual laborer who worked his tail off all day. Yes, sounds like a fabulous plan to me. Why should I own a car anyways? Other people don't own cars. It's not like I need to drive to work to care for my family and my own needs. Oh yeah, the government should be caring for my family. So let's get rid of all our cars then, because there will always be people who won't have them, and even if everyone did have them, some people would have older ones which would mean they would be less privileged than I! Gasp! Oh dear, I guess we'll have to compensate them for their lack of a suitable car by taking some of my money and giving it to them to equal out but... wait, how will I get food now? Where is all this money coming from anyways??

The above is merely an example. Your assumption is that me wanting to work hard, earn money, and lead a comfortable life thereby is a bad thing. That assumption is wrong. There is nothing wrong with my talents, skills, and hard work earning me money, and those who do nothing to earn money should not be rewarded for such.

On topic... Rapture wink.gif

We will most likely pollute and over crowd ourselves to the extent that we completely destroy our natural resources and can no longer survive. I think of Climate Change as the Earth's way of shaking us off like a bad case of fleas. Once we are gone conditions will improve and "paradise" will be restored. That being said, I imagine that there will be a few humans that somehow manage to survive through mutation and adaptation. We are easy to kill but the sheer number of us and the adaptability that brought us this far makes me think we will never completely blink out; at least not until the sun burns out.

@philpot123: You misunderstand on purpose or you just don't read properly because it's about "people in power". Like millionaires getting natives killed to get resources or governments who sell weapons to warlords or merchants who have children dig for diamonds or industrials who dump their waste in a river to save money and poison the riverfolks by it.

@Sir Barton: Paradise minus all the animals we wiped out. sad.gif

Edited by Lilithiana

@philpot123: You misunderstand on purpose or you just don't read properly because it's about "people in power". Like millionaires getting natives killed to get resources or governments who sell weapons to warlords or merchants who have children dig for diamonds or industrials who dump their waste in a river to save money and poison the riverfolks by it.

I understood perfectly.

Capitalism will be the death of us all.

Pretty simple statement, which I answered as best as I could in that short of a post. I definitely read properly, thanks for checking though.

People in power do things like that regardless of the economic system they use.

People in power do things like that regardless of the economic system they use.

Very true. I would venture to say Soviet Communism was a better example of that than capitalism.

That's very true but I image that new species will come along to take the place of the ones that have been run into extinction. I would be nice to be able to reverse our effects on nature but I fear we have gone way too far for that so all that is left is for the world to basically start out new.

I think it would take nothing short of a global extinction event to kill off humanity, like an meteor strike or crashing into a black hole.....the black hole would be kinda cool though.

Even if pollution rises to deadly levels and kills off a significant portion of the population or if there's total nuclear war there will still be some people that will adapt and survive and continue to re-populate the earth.

So eventually the sun will die and take our planet with us but I doubt our ability to make it off the planet and find somewhere else that is hospitable enough and within a distance we can reach because apprently traveling faster than the speed of light is a physical impossibility

Well, no matter what, humans are going to die. Maybe sooner than we think.

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

I guess a lot of those imply that humans destroy themselves, but I see this less as 'humans are bad and destructive and we should hate ourselves' and more as 'inevitable outcome of intelligence'.

Honestly you people saying capitalism is going to kill us all or global warming or whatever, and I'm just like lololololol you guys ain't seen nothin yet.

We will most likely pollute and over crowd ourselves to the extent that we completely destroy our natural resources and can no longer survive. I think of Climate Change as the Earth's way of shaking us off like a bad case of fleas. Once we are gone conditions will improve and "paradise" will be restored. That being said, I imagine that there will be a few humans that somehow manage to survive through mutation and adaptation. We are easy to kill but the sheer number of us and the adaptability that brought us this far makes me think we will never completely blink out; at least not until the sun burns out.

Been watching George Carlin have we? wink.gif

Nah but seriously, I'm pretty sure humans can figure out some way to get ourselves out of dumb situations we got ourselves into. We are many, and we are adaptable, and we'll get through it somehow. It's those roaming black holes I'd be worried about. Or the supernovas.

Edited by Ilera

Very true. I would venture to say Soviet Communism was a better example of that than capitalism.

Is it odd that I read "Capitalism" as "cannibalism" and that I completely agreed with it?

Nah but seriously, I'm pretty sure humans can figure out some way to get ourselves out of dumb situations we got ourselves into. We are many, and we are adaptable, and we'll get through it somehow. It's those roaming black holes I'd be worried about. Or the supernovas.

Both of which are highly, highly unlikely to affect us. We're in a rather safe area of space and in danger of neither occurring for billions of years. We are, however, stupid animals who love to find more and more ways to kill one another and are draining our planetary resources at a worrying rate.