Lilithiana

Humanity's Future

What will happen to humanity?  

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How do you see the near and distant future?

If you look into the newspaper or see the news, do you think there is still hope for us?

With "Star Trek" I mean something like overcome war and pollution, go to space, help build a peaceful federation.

We're all going to die.

We'll die as the sun expands.

And before that if the economic system isn't reformed so that the starving have no need to fight to eat, and the rich don't have the urge to exploit the poor...

No chance we can afford to ruin another planet - thank goodness !

WE'RE DOOMED! ohmy.gif DOOOOOMED I SAY! DOOOOOOOMED! ohmy.gifohmy.gif

No, really. Looking at how humans behave, we're all going to die in an self-caused apocalypse. Maybe some more humane people will band together and go ''Star Trek'' as you said. That would be so awesome. cool.gif

We're all going to die.

This.

One way or another, this is the fate we will meet. There are many things I could say that could or will be the cause of the end of our race, or the world entirely, and they're all connected to what Kestra said.

rolleyes.gif

I don't think we're going to go "Star Trek", I think we're going to go "Doctor Who"- as in, reach other planets and have the same problems as we do there, but try our best to solve them without killing everyone.

It's suddenly occured to me to point out at this point how the state of play in the Star Trek universe was reached... namely after a World War had wiped out the majority of the human race.

We'll manufacture a super virus/disease through the heavy use of medication, which will first wipe out all slaughterhouses and other selectively bred domesticated animals/ plants, crippling worldwide food supply and economy, before being spread to pandemic proportions by plane, ship, and car travel. Chaos will ensue from mass panic, rendering applicable care useless as old grudges and paranoia break out and effectively kick in our instinct for 'every man for himself'. As governments collapse into anarchy, humanity will withdraw into itself and effectively allow itself to self implode.

...OR YEAH, I guess the sun exploding sounds cooler. Or maybe M. Night's prediction in The Happening will come true! That'd be cool right? Better than something like The Road, at least. I think we're all rooting for zombies in the end, though =)

We're all going to die.

Eventually... Everything has to end someday.

My view is it's better to live in the here and now. There's no point in worrying about such things as it's out of our hands on what the future brings.

I don't think we're going to go "Star Trek", I think we're going to go "Doctor Who"- as in, reach other planets and have the same problems as we do there, but try our best to solve them without killing everyone.

Seconding this.

Interstellar travel and colonization does not necessitate solving all world problems, and vice versa.

OO I didn't expect so many dark predictions. (Well, I voted for world destruction and death, too.)

We need more optimists and dreamers. wink.gif

Edit: @Kazeko & Ruins: You're right. If I could change the poll I would include Dr. Who now. But to be honest I don't know the series. biggrin.gif

Edited by Lilithiana

It's suddenly occured to me to point out at this point how the state of play in the Star Trek universe was reached... namely after a World War had wiped out the majority of the human race.

Not quite. The Eugenics War didn't do that much damage, and WWIII was in the 2050s. /geek

Not quite. The Eugenics War didn't do that much damage, and WWIII was in the 2050s. /geek

But it was in the aftermath of WWIII that Cochran discovered the warp drive, and thus initiated contact with the Vulcans. Which, arguably, was what saved humanity from itself anyway.

But it was in the aftermath of WWIII that Cochran discovered the warp drive, and thus initiated contact with the Vulcans. Which, arguably, was what saved humanity from itself anyway.

That's fifty-two years away though, and 600million people need to die first.

That's fifty-two years away though, and 600million people need to die first.

Well, yes. Although part of me still isn't sure another major war isn't likely. It was more to point out that it was humanity going through massive wars and death the prceeded the lovely Federation view of the world.

I picked other. We'll splice cockroach genes into ourselves and become immune to pretty much everything. If the Earth blows up, we'd probably survive floating around in space. xd.png

I can see something like The Martian Chronicles happening, but overall we're probably going to wipe ourselves out eventually.

We're all going to die.

^ That.

Warmongry and greed are causing so many problems and human nature doesn't change. A lot of us actually see what's going on but we're too few and our resources spread too thin to make it to space colonization before we've gone extinct.

Capitalism will be the death of us all. The push for personal gain has led people in power to exploit and destroy the less-privileged without shame, all for the constant want for a bigger number in the bank account.

We need more optimists and dreamers. wink.gif

They are all asleep or in hiding.

The wold will end, someday, the question is when? I don't think anyone on this planet has the answer.

Yeah, humanity will eventually end somehow.

...Though I can't say I resent the idea of going "Star Trek." wink.gif

I think about it this way:

5 Billion Years ago- Earth was formed as well as the other planets

3.5 Billion Years Ago- First Life forms in the sea

245 Million years ago- Age of the Dinosaurs

65 Million Years Ago- Extinction of Dinosaurs

3.5 Million Years Ago- First Proto-Humans

100,000 Years Ago- First Homo Saipans

10,000 Years Ago- First Recorded Human History

So In the last 10,000 Years Humans have done more damage to the Earth then anything else, In all we destroyed this planet as soon as we evolved and saught power through various means....

We Killed this planet and we'll die. If we all die, it may take a while but the planet will rebuild itself from scratch again.

Although it may not be today, tomorrow or next week, it'll happen some day in the future.

See you in the second life.

We need more optimists and dreamers. ;)

... Eheh. o3o; *handraise*

I honestly try to hope that humanity will somehow manage to get better and better eventually. How, I really don't know. I just try to hope and believe that... ._.;

I know that everything needs to end eventually and whatnot, but I just hope that we'll work things out before that happens. I still try to be as happy as I can be. :'3

Keep saying hope. Derp.

Edited by Switch

well if we don't destroy the earth and wipe ourselves out. nature will do it for us. the dinosaurs all died and that will one day happen again.... or the sun will explode biggrin.gif

or or maybe humans will evolve into a completely new species! that would be so awesome!