Sundew

Drafting Descriptions

I apologize if this is a duplicate; I searched but nothing came up. :3

I was thinking that maybe there could be a "Draft this description" option on the dragon's describing page. :3 It would appear as our descriptions currently do, but the status would be "Not published" or something like that.

Eh. I always just keep a Word document for incomplete descriptions. I wouldn't use a feature like this much.

There's also the notepad in your Control Panel, if you're concerned about Word's formatting. At the largest setting, it'll hold a bunch of descriptions.

Edit: I just crammed about 2000 words of descriptions in there, and there still seems to be space left. Just be sure to click Update after adding stuff, or it won't save.

Edit 2: I crammed 63,603 characters (over 10,000 words) into the notepad at the large setting before it started cutting stuff off. That works out to quite a few descriptions.

I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, I'm just saying that there is already something somewhat comparable that you could use. I know I had no idea the notepad held that much until I started stuffing descriptions in there just now. For people with no forum account, there is, as Stromboli mentioned, also the option of using Word or something similar.

Edited by Mathcat

Mm'h okay, I wasn't aware of the notepad in the Control Panel. :3

Edited by ab613

Even though people can use word or other word programs, I would support this. We do get quite a few descriptions that are "in progress" or such, which is kind of an abuse of the system, making us review descriptions not yet ready when there are plenty of others waiting.

I have a suggestion for dragons descriptions. I don't really like how it is now, where you have to submit it for approval/rejection immediately after writing it. I like to take my time writing descriptions for my dragons and it usually takes me several days to get it completely right and I like to be able to save what I have on my dragons page.

So what I am suggesting is to be able to save the descriptions until you are finished writing them, then have the option to submit it for approval/rejection. So you'd be able to go back as long as you need to get it the way you want it. The description wouldn't be visible on the dragons page until it was accepted.

I have my reasons for this request: First off, my memory sucks and I'm always forgetting things like this. I don't like saving things like that on the computer. My computer doesn't work very well, so I probably wouldn't be able to get to the document when I wanted to(plus I always lose things in my computer. xd.png). I usually am on my parent's or brother's computer and I don't like saving my documents on their computers. I always lose the papers I write these kinds of things on as well.

Would be useful, but would it make the server more laggy if so many descrips were saved like this? If not, then I support. smile.gif

I'd say it would be a good idea to save it as a document on your computer, either using word or a similar program, although I know that can sometimes be difficult if you want to include codes for pictures, coloured text, etc. Otherwise, you could keep it as an saved/unsent PM in your inbox.

I support this for a different reason. Oftentimes, I write so much that the description cuts off, but I don't know that until and unless I go back to the Describe page later and see it. If there was a way to keep it in Editing mode-- and especially have a "check length" button-- I'd be all for it.

It would be nice, though I don't think it's entirely necessary. There are other ways to save information you want without keeping it on a computer-locked file. For example, sometimes if I want to tab something for DC and not have it on my laptop, I just send myself an email with all the relevant information. You can easily edit the email and forward it to yourself as you update along the way. In fact, I have two descriptions for a pair of dragons saved in an email at the moment - going to upload it here once I manage to breed them together and fix up the lineage.

Also, if you want to keep it solely on DC, there's a notepad option here on the forums. Just click on 'My Control' and there's a memo pad available constantly. I'm not sure whether there's a word limit on it, but I think it should be sufficient if you're only saving bits and pieces. At some point I had tons of writing on my notepad and it was still fine. :3

Edit: @above Yeah, I'd totally approve of a word count function.

Edited by Varekis

It would be nice, though I don't think it's entirely necessary.

Maybe not for you, but for someone like me it would be(not to mention extremely helpful).

I thought there was a suggestion for having some sort of notification when descriptions went over the limit. I'm sure there was, but I'm still looking. Meanwhile, I did find this, so merged. :3

I support this for a different reason. Oftentimes, I write so much that the description cuts off, but I don't know that until and unless I go back to the Describe page later and see it. If there was a way to keep it in Editing mode-- and especially have a "check length" button-- I'd be all for it.

I agree with this. smile.gif

Though I think that a check the length button would be better. That's the only reason I'd really support this. If there was already a check the length button, then I wouldn't support this because I think it would be a little unnecessary, since you can always do drafts in word documents, like other people have suggested.