TLOSpyrogirl

Red Dinos, Blue Dinos, and Tinsels

Do you think Tinsels should have a breed description?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay. So, suggestion.

Most people who voted thought Tinsels needed canonical facts and a breed description. So come up with canonical facts and a breed description.

xd.png Just kidding, I'll help.

Suggestion, come up with 'why Tinsel does this and looks like this and their general temperament and etc etc etc' and get it added to the Tinsels.

Here's some topic starters.

What do they eat? Why are they so sparkly? Do Tinsel dragons actually MAKE those wreaths or are they natural growth or what? If they make them, why do they make them? Can they fly? Are they ACTUALLY made out of gold/silver/bronze or are they coated in gold/silver/bronze, and if not, what causes the gold/silver/bronze coloring?

(I'm thinking maybe that they do some sort of 'flamingo' thing. Flamingos are born white, but they eat shrimp and turn pink. Perhaps Tinsels eat bronze/silver/gold ore (or metal?) and they develop that bronze/silver/gold luster. Or perhaps that happened with the ancestors and the bronze/silver/gold they had eaten somehow managed to get into the genes and they pass it on. That would explain the eggs and S1 hatchlings. And maybe they weave those wreaths from holly leaves like some humans do. And perhaps they can fly, as they wouldn't be stiff if the bronze/silver/gold was just scale coloring and it wasn't like they were just coated in bronze. Yes, I know that my ideas are bad, but it's something, after all. xd.png)

OTHER SUGGESTION.

I think that Tinsels should have a very vague description like 'Tinsel dragon are shrouded in mystery. Not much is known about them.' just so that they have names, but the amazing descriptions people have made won't be lost!

↑ stogucheme's idea. I like that much better.

Opinions? You can still vote, of course. xP

So. I just raised a Red Dino to adulthood, and I found that it had no description except for the generic Dino description. And...I was somewhat annoyed. So, I looked up the other Dinos on the wiki. Blue Dinos have no special description, but Purples, Yellows, and Greens do. So, I propose that a small sentence be added to the Red and Blue Dino descriptions--just one or two sentences! I know this just seems like nitpicking, but honestly, I think these Dinos need a little completion.

Red dragons are Stegosauruses, right? I know wikipedia isn't the best source for these things, but here's what I think their description should be. Feel free to change, edit, or whatever.

Finally, after much feeding, the baby has grown into a full Dino! Dinos can eat almost anything, including things with spikes. In order to do so, they must have very tough stomachs. Red Dinos have spikes on their backs that protect them from predators. They are a slow-moving breed of Dino, and prefer to wander about eating plants.

For Blue Dinos, Triceratops (again, suggest improvements, please),

Finally, after much feeding, the baby has grown into a full Dino! Dinos can eat almost anything, including things with spikes. In order to do so, they must have very tough stomachs. Blue Dinos have large frills on their heads. It is unknown what they are used for. They are herbivores, and often feed on plants in the underbrush.

So, yeah. Comments, opinions, corrections, and help with descriptions, please.

Edited by TLOSpyrogirl

Descriptions are never added to dragons (or unbreedables) later unless the original artist comes up with one. To add descriptions to the dinos, you'll have to talk to the artist and find out if that's what he wants to do... but since I for one haven't seen Silvanon around in a good long time, good luck with that.

With the tinsels, it's not for the reason you think. The spriter has talked about this, and what happened is that she never/rarely writes her own dragon descriptions-- she gets other people to do it for her, because she's more interested in the spriting than the rest of it. In the case of tinsels (which were actually called prizes as first, and the spriter was the one who corrected people on the name, so she had the name all along), she just forgot to get a description made before submitting the pixels to TJ. When pressed later to come up with something, she said that she didn't really care to do so, and since it IS her own dragon, there's not much anyone can say about that. If she doesn't want to describe them, she does not have to.

So anyway, the tl;dr version is: Forget about it with the tinsels, and good luck contacting Silvanon about the dinos.

Edited by ArynChris

Well, did she ever say that she wouldn't ever even consider getting letting them have a description at all, ever, even if someone else wrote it? I mean, the spritework is pretty detailed. All you have to do is look and use your imagination. I mean, if she doesn't want to, then it's her dragon, so yeah. But I'd like her direct input on this matter. And if she says no, that's fine. So, I'll PM her and ask.

I'll trying PM/emailing Silvanon...maybe (s?)he is just lurking, if I'm lucky.

Marri mentioned when the tinsels first came out that she also liked that it would give those who wrote their own descriptions more leeway, so I think tinsels are probably staying as is. :3

I wouldn't mind a line added to the dinos, though!

Well, I already PMd her, so too late. xd.png Might as well wait it out.

But, seriously...who do I PM? Both? Just Silvanon? Just Shikaru? What?

Marri mentioned when the tinsels first came out that she also liked that it would give those who wrote their own descriptions more leeway, so I think tinsels are probably staying as is. :3

Didn't she also say that users were free to submit descriptions to TJ for them? I could be wrong because I vaguely remember her post about their lack of a description so don't quote me on that.

I'm assuming since this was quite a while ago (if she even did say that) that a few users probably did do so, and Tinsels still do not have a description, I'm pretty sure they are going to stay that way as well.

I don't really mind them not having one though. I rarely ever look at descriptions. Most of the time it is when dragons are first released, I'll read the description then completely forget about it the next day. xd.png

I wouldn't oppose this, but I don't really find much point to it. For me, the lack of descriptions- however annoying they are when newbies don't know the dragons' names- are fine as they are.

Ohai. I am the retired artist who made the tinsels. /waves

I don't do any of the description writing for the sprites I submit to TJ unless I absolutely have to. I'm not much of one for word-smithing. n_n;;

In the case of the Tinsel breed it has the happy side-effect of allowing users more of a chance to make up a mythos for their prizes. I feel the lack of a predetermined history or record of dragon behavior enhances their value enormously and they then become a catalyst for the imagination. I also don't really feel like Tinsels are canonical in a strict sense; their introduction into DC is artificial and if it wouldn't have been absolutely heartbreaking to so many people, they would have been unbreedable. Ultimately, they are trophies and when I made them I thought of them as inanimate objects fashioned into the glittering likeness of dragons.

If the majority of DC users really want a tinsel description I wouldn't stand against it. :> Please bear in mind that suddenly this gives description approvers something against which to weigh your descriptions and will result in the destruction of a lot of beautiful stories and head-canons of creative folk on this site. >: Be gentle with each other please.

Have a good day and I appreciate the nice PMs I got about this. <3

I can only speak for myself, but I've never even noticed that my Tinsels lacked a description, and it does seem rather nice that the imaginations and descriptions of users are not curtailed by written-in-stone basic official descriptions.

I'm fine with thinking that that they're ornamental dragons animated by Christmas magic.

In fact, that notion was what my Christmas Tree concept was based on, oddly enough...

As dinos are unbreedable, it would probably be best to stick to unknown, or use one of the other proposed theories, such as combat (which doesn't really fit the yoshi-style IMO) or regulating temperature. o3o

~

Also, it would be polite to PM shikaru, but she hasn't been on in forever (and you won't find her in a member search since she is an inactive mod) and I don't think her permission is needed if she just did the hatchies. Dinos are probably a TJ thing, so it might really be up to him, but I wasn't around for the original sprites or the sprite replacement, so I can't say for sure. owo

If the majority of DC users really want a tinsel description I wouldn't stand against it.  :>  Please bear in mind that suddenly this gives description approvers something against which to weigh your descriptions and will result in the destruction of a lot of beautiful stories and head-canons of creative folk on this site.  >:  Be gentle with each other please.

After seeing this viewpoint, I find myself appreciating their lack of description, if only to let imaginations run wild. I'm not against it if they get descriptions, but it still seems nice that I could describe mine in a way that I imagine, without too much restriction.

After seeing this viewpoint, I find myself appreciating their lack of description, if only to let imaginations run wild.  I'm not against it if they get descriptions, but it still seems nice that I could describe mine in a way that I imagine, without too much restriction.

This I think is the major issue that would prevent me from supporting this suggestion. I mean, aside from personal sentiment, maybe a Tinsel is valued because its parent's description is so amazing. Maybe the parent's description is what made another become interested in have a child of it.

That aside, I still think it is unnecessary for them to have 'official' descriptions and kind of wonder how you would do it, considering the mythos are different for each user. (Heck, maybe they're different for each dragon on a user's scroll. O.o)

The only thing that I could imaging working is having a vague descriptor that just puts their official name on the page, really. Maybe: "Tinsel dragons are shrouded in mystery. Not much is known about them." Or some such. (Again, that's really just to get the name on the page.)

EDIT: Voted no. Like my idea and would vote for it.

Edited by stogucheme

I wouldn't mind a line added to the dinos, though!

ageed as tinsels are they way they are so they can have a very varried range of personalities, while mints have to be somewhat shy and such like that.

Dinos can be added, as they are dinos. I did discrib my dinos, but very simply.

Well, actually, nobody knows WHAT exactly the frills are for. xd.png What you said is just a hypothesis. Like Socky said, they don't breed, but technically that's to keep them extremely rare. In the DC roleplaying world, who says they're actually unbreedable?

Okay, I'll put up a poll to be fair. If majority of users say 'No', then I'll leave it. tongue.gif

Edited by TLOSpyrogirl

I say no to giving the Tinsel a description. The fact that they have no description is just one thing that makes them so special. It also makes them kind of mysterious. I like that they are the first dragon breed to have no description.

The Dinos description would not affect me.

Edited by Lady_DragonRider

The only thing that I could imaging working is having a vague descriptor that just puts their official name on the page, really. Maybe: "Tinsel dragons are shrouded in mystery. Not much is known about them." Or some such. (Again, that's really just to get the name on the page.)

I actually like this. It has always bothered me that, unlike all other dragons, they do not have a line or two that at least officially gives their name.

This description is certainly vague enough to fit with almost any description that users could write for their own tinsels. wink.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

So...does nobody have anything to say about my Dino sentence addons? xd.png Do you like them? Are they good? I think the Blue Dino one is a little iffy, really.

Oh, sorry, I missed your post... xd.png

I like that idea. At least give a name and not disrupt the stories people have made for them.

EDIT: Added a 'vote' to the first post. Everybody, if you like this idea better, please post saying so. If you voted in the poll already, please tell me what you voted for so I don't count your vote towards whatever you voted for before. xd.png

Edited by TLOSpyrogirl

Support. smile.gif I think it's such a shame when dragons don't have descriptions, or ones that have the same description as others (like the Christmas dragons). So I fully support a couple more sentences in the description. I think what you've written for the dinos is perfect.

Oops. This is TLO not paying attention. rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

Silvanon still hasn't got back to me yet, and she hasn't read my PM either. D: Anybody know where he (she? Forgot again...) has gone?

Well, that's an 11/23 (or maybe 12/23?). So I guess it's time to start coming up with Tinsel facts. Any ideas? I'm also going to keep the suggestion that they should have a very, very vague description. I still like that idea a lot more than the extensive facts one.

Please continue to speak your opinion about the Tinsel matter and/or vote. Marrionetta said 'if the majority of DC users...' and, well, there's not just 36 DC users. xd.png

I have to say I really do not support the idea of tinsels getting breed descriptions, vague or no. :< I like the wide range of creativity the lack of it allows.

I wouldn't mind dinos and Christmases having unique breed descriptions though. :3