Lila

Studying

Ive been getting all As. the last qurter i was in schooll this year I was amazed because i got a 99 in math.

I didn't really study throughout high school or most of grade school. I did start studying in college, at least for my science courses. There's only so much you can do in biochem without actually studying. wink.gif In grad school, I've gotten lazier (or just tired of classes...), and I tend not to study other than to cram before exams. I only have one more course left, and the rest is all research. I do, however, have to start studying for prelims.

I used to not bother studying. But when I went to college 16 years after high school, I decided studying might be beneficial. I found that I did excel when I did study. On the down side, when my stepfather had his heart attack 3 weeks before finals, I found it harder to focus and my grades did take a bit of a tumble. he passed away on finals week and I had pure apathy in regards to the one exam. I still got 83% on the course though.

I find studying important and one method I found worked for me was re-formatting the power points of my theory professor. He in the end, asked me for all my notes. he loves them.

But when you pay the money for your education and it comes out of your own pocket, you may want to consider getting your money's worth out of it.

I study a bit and I get decent grades. I always try to prepare for class and try to get a thorough understanding of the material, and when I don't do it or get it I feel really nervous - same thing if I don't start assignments at least a week before they're due, only doing a little bit is enough to satisfy me as long as I get started. I like to make colourful mind maps when I study for exams or tests; the little bit of creativity involved is enough to keep me from getting distracted. I actually like to prepare for maths-based exams or tests because that feeling you get when you can just smoothly solve problem after problem without really stopping to think is the best thing ever. What really drives me crazy is when exams are worth 60%-plus of your final grade - the stress wacko.gif

The thing is, I also study even after the test. It's all about learning. I learn from my mistakes. Anyway, it's such a pity that I'm a slow learner, especially times when I just don't have enough time.

I don't really study much unless it's over something I missed or a huge test (state tests, finals), although I do remember a lot of things the first or second time I hear them. Typically when I do study I put things into silly quotes so that I'll remember them (most don't make sense until I take them apart). I've found that flashcards and repetition don't work very well for me unless I spend three hours straight looking at them.

I missed 5 days of school this year. that was my record. I missed 2 at the beginning of the year and 3 at the end both for the same reason. I missed because of my asthma. If it wasnt for the weekends I wouldve missed a total of 9 days instead of 5

im the smart gal of every class. the reason that first sentence wasn't true was because i don't study.

sometimes, though, whenever i don't have any time i feel like i need to study that one thing as soon as possible or else i'll explode.

and whenever i do have time, i feel like i'd rather eat a bowl of soup and take a three-month nap than do so.

for some reason, flashcards work very well on me. ever since i got some flashcard app i've been acing the past few language arts tests.

oh, and i found this method when studying:

get a textbook and a pack of gummy bears (you've probably heard of this before) put one gummy bear on each paragraph of whaever lesson you're reading in the book. when you finish a paragraph, you get to eat the gummy bear.

im the smart gal of every class. the reason that first sentence wasn't true was because i don't study.

sometimes, though, whenever i don't have any time i feel like i need to study that one thing as soon as possible or else i'll explode.

and whenever i do have time, i feel like i'd rather eat a bowl of soup and take a three-month nap than do so.

for some reason, flashcards work very well on me. ever since i got some flashcard app i've been acing the past few language arts tests.

oh, and i found this method when studying:

get a textbook and a pack of gummy bears (you've probably heard of this before) put one gummy bear on each paragraph of whaever lesson you're reading in the book. when you finish a paragraph, you get to eat the gummy bear.

Oh god do not do the gummi bear thing in college. That works way less well when you have to read four chapters of a textbook, over a hundred pages, and there's like seven paragraphs a page or something.

ohmy.gif Erm, DC friends, does anyone of you know about the Cornell method of note-taking? I need help.

ohmy.gif Erm, DC friends, does anyone of you know about the Cornell method of note-taking? I need help.

the cornell notes? our health ed teacher made us write down a bunch of methods to help studying, but I don't use them anyways. I still have this worksheet she gave me with all the study skills xd.png

Cornell

Divide the paper into sections

-draw a dark horizontal line about 5 or 6 lines from the bottom. Use a heavy magic marker so that it is clear.

-Draw a dark vertical line about 2 inches from the left side of the paper from the top to the horizontal line.

Document

-Write course name, date and topic at the top of each page

Write Notes

-The large box to the right is for writing notes.

-Skip a line between ideas and topics

-Don't use complete sentences. Use abbreviations, whenever possible. Develop a shorthand of your own, such as using & for the word "and".

Review and clarify

-Review the notes as soon as possible after class.

-Pull of main ideas, key points, dates, and people, and write them in the left column.

Summarize

-Write a summary of the main ideas in the bottom section

Study your notes

-Reread your notes in the right column.

-Spend most of your time studying the ideas in the left column and the summary at the bottom. These are the most important ideas and will probably include most of the information that will be tested.

There you go, all freshly typed up!

I have to admit I don't use this method though, perhaps because I prefer to rewrite my notes on flashcards that are easier to carry around?

Isn't this like the SQ3R?

I don't know which method is "better".

((Our Philo Prof introduced us to the Cornell method but I was using the SQ3R ever since, since high school.))

Isn't this like the SQ3R?

I don't know which method is "better".

((Our Philo Prof introduced us to the Cornell method but I was using the SQ3R ever since, since high school.))

I never knew about the SQ3R so I researched it and it seems to be a reading comprehension method. If that's the case, then the two methods are very different because the Cornell method is on taking notes while SQ3R is on reading comprehension.

Edit: Researched again and found out that SQ3R is note-taking aimed towards written material, but Cornell notes are mostly for oral lectures xd.png

Edited by OtomeKristinOtaku

smile.gif Oh, thank you very much for your help and answer, Kristin (OtomeKristinOtaku).

I will research more about it though. tongue.gif Personally, I still have a difficult time using those methods. Anyway, they're simply suggested methods and I can follow my own method.

smile.gif Oh, thank you very much for your help and answer, Kristin (OtomeKristinOtaku).

I will research more about it though. tongue.gif Personally, I still have a difficult time using those methods. Anyway, they're simply suggested methods and I can follow my own method.

No problem. I don't use those methods as well, the important thing is that the method you use is right for you! xd.png

I take notes, read the book, and do the homework, sometimes with further research using Google for the most part. And I think I learn pretty well in that fashion. I don't do hardcore studying, but we don't tend to have in-class exams. My college professors tend to prefer lengthy take-home exams with very complicated questions that make you really think about how to answer them. smile.gif

Except for Social Studies because I suck at Social Studies (overstatement, I actually get low A's) and math semester exams because I've forgotten all the formulas, I don't study. At all. I haven't really needed to study to get high A's on my tests, so I don't actually know how to study effectively. Usually, I just skim my papers.

I do not study.

I am serious. I never study. The most I do is to read a little before class if I must. Otherwise, nada, never.

Yet, I always get the best grades at all my nineteen subjects in school (yes, I had nineteen subjects in my sophomore year because this is the system in Romania). I have no idea how I do it, I guess I am lucky to have a good memory and to be able to pay attention in class while shutting everyone else.

Basically, I can learn anything I hear or read once or twice if I pay enough attention and my memory helps me pass school. (I had a GPA of 3.7 only through that. I do not know how.)

If I had to study, I would not know how to do it since I never studied in my life. (I am a lazy procrastinator. I do no even do my homework, or if I do, I do it in the break before class.) Perhaps I would simply read or something. Or maybe I would look up 'how to study' on Google. xd.png

Edited by MichiyoSaitou

I'd like to say my gratitude towards the people here who helped out and give ideas as well as answering my questions.

I can't believe I am saying this but at last I'm finally learning how to learn. blink.gif Paradoxical.

I honestly don't really study laugh.gif

I just listen to the discussion in class then take note of some important key words.

I need an interactive way of studying, which means that I always attend all classes and take notes from listening. Then I come back home and just re-read my notes and that's my way of studying. I just can't stare at a book and study by heart, it just doesn't work. I am not a machine that can just memorize bunches and bunches of facts. dry.gif