stogucheme

Option to accept only part of a trade

Would you find it useful to be able to accept part of a trade, but not all of it?  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think this is a brilliant suggestion.

This is an ongoing problem, where people have to turn down trades they'd like due to lack of room to take unwanted extras and, as has been pointed out, affects people off-site as well - not that one can, in any event, PM about offers made by people with scroll names not showing who have made offers via Teleport.

I absolutely support this.

Ooh, I really like this. I think it would make trading a lot easier and be beneficial to both users - the original trader gets to keep stuff they might be able to trade elsewhere, and the person accepting only has the stuff they need/want. smile.gif

I love, love, love this idea! This would be massively useful for when someone offers more than I can accept, but is offering something I want.

I know I've had to decline trades at times and wished desperately that I could have gotten in touch with whomever made the offer because I wanted part of their offer. This would be an excellent alternative.

Cheers!

Em

I can see no downside to this suggestion, and I certainly can think of a few situations where I would have loved a feature like this.

yep, i like this too :3

it would help a lot! sometimes i can't accept hatchling offers because they throw in an egg when i'm locked x3

Added a poll as it's a pretty simple suggestion and I don't want anyone to get in trouble for +supports

I really like this idea, too. I know I have had several really nice offers that I had to turn down for lack of space. Any one of the items they were offering would have been enough to make me happy, so being able to accept only part of an offer would be great!

Person offres too much for you, but you're ok with partial trade (due to unwanted eggs/hatchies, scrollock etc.) What would happen if you're not scrollocked? You accepted the trade and then dismiss extra dragons in some way.

How about dropping them to AP from a trade acceptance form? Maybe someone would be very happy to find them there.

No extra messaging, offering person get his dragons, you get your dragons, extras get an additional chance to live and be loved through AP.

I'll be voting for that. But i'll be super-mega-supporter for more than 4 slots/trade change.

I just can't figure out why such limitation exist. That leaves trades with more than 4 dragons in disadvantage - they're UNSAFE. Practically forcing players to use short-lived IOU type of trade.

The problem with an AP drop would be that many people don't like seeing their hatchies frozen, neglected, bitten etc. When they trade with a person that posts they don't do that, they'd be pretty upset if their extras got abandoned and the person picking it up did so. I think it would discourage people from trading, even if it was a rare occurrence.

The current number on trades was probably put there as high enough to trade, but low enough that multiscrollers didn't have it easy. But that would be a separate request/discussion.

I support!

I also want to be able to offer more than one offering on a trade. Sometimes, say when someone asks for a 3rd gen metal checker and I have more than one on my scroll, I have to pick which to offer as I'm unwilling to offer both. So I'd like to be able to offer two separate things, and let the other user pick which they like best. Same thing with hatchies! And PMing doesn't always work, either, if the person accepts an offer before reading their PMs (I've done that any number of times).

Actually... I'd love a thread where we could discuss different things we'd like changed / added to teleport.

And I also want the 4 thing limit raised! I'll often accept hatchies for something rare, and I'd rather be able to accept one offer directly on the rare in question, rather than have to accept half the trade on the rare and the other half as a transfer.

Cheers!

C4.

Person offres too much for you, but you're ok with partial trade (due to unwanted eggs/hatchies, scrollock etc.) What would happen if you're not scrollocked? You accepted the trade and then dismiss extra dragons in some way.

How about dropping them to AP from a trade acceptance form? Maybe someone would be very happy to find them there.

No extra messaging, offering person get his dragons, you get your dragons, extras get an additional chance to live and be loved through AP.

I'll be voting for that. But i'll be super-mega-supporter for more than 4 slots/trade change.

I just can't figure out why such limitation exist. That leaves trades with more than 4 dragons in disadvantage - they're UNSAFE. Practically forcing players to use short-lived IOU type of trade.

THAT is easy enough. (as long as you aren't ACTUALLY trying for an IOU) You just offer all they want - part as a one way teleport, and send them the first 4, say, and then you offer the rest.

And with your suggestion, there would still need to be the facility to choose which you are accepting.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Hmm, I have not had this happen to me in maybe 50-60 trades this month and not ever before.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong. rolleyes.gif

I just know one thing: I would stop offering on,trades even more than before. Already the person offering trades has a BIG advantage in the current trading environment, as you can offer it only once, but can get offers many time. With this change in place, I would as lmost never offer on another persons offer again.

@vhale: the trade limit is at an arbitrary number, multiscrollers are not at all impeded by this - just raise more magis, if need be on a third, fourth, fifth scroll.

i agree with your suggestion

i find it useful as sometimes i don't think i have space for the rest of those other things i am not interested in but only wanted 1 or 2 of it

Much support!!

I don't trade much so it doesn't really affect me, but I see how it affects others and how it *could* affect me. Example of a trade I've had in the past: I offer a (lineaged) Gold in a trade-thread, asking for a bred black. I get an offer of *three* bred blacks, which I'm absolutely ecstatic about... But I won't have room to accept three eggs for a few days. (Also, I have this OCD thing about having too make of the same breed growing at once). So..... I'd love to be able to *just* accept one of those bred blacks.

The whole "what if the person is offering those extras to clear their scroll so *they* can accept your trade" really doesn't hold up at all. Trades are not trash bins. They are not the AP. If you are locked and therefore unable to receive a trade, it's on *you* to make yourself available for that trade. If you want that Gold, and am insisting I take *3* eggs instead of the 1 I asked for.... Those eggs are not my problem. And they shouldn't be something that affects trade.

Yes, absolute support!

I've had a few I've rejected because, though it had something I wanted, it also had stuff I didn't want at all (and there was an offer for something I wanted considerably less, but that didn't come with the "extras")

And I've had some dragons I've frozen or released or abandoned because they were "extras" that I didn't care about that cam alongside a dragon I really, really, really wanted/needed.

Hmm, I have not had this happen to me in maybe 50-60 trades this month and not ever before.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong.  rolleyes.gif

I just know one thing: I would stop offering on,trades even more than before. Already the person offering trades has a BIG advantage in the current trading environment, as you can offer it only once, but can get offers many time. With this change in place, I would as lmost never offer on another persons offer again.

@vhale: the trade limit is at an arbitrary number, multiscrollers are not at all impeded by this - just raise more magis, if need be on a third, fourth, fifth scroll.

Yeah, because someone who's been playing since the end of February has experienced EVERYTHING on DC? wink.gif At Silver trophy status, you're at a stage were you need more than you "don't" so of course you wouldn't know what bigger scrollers are talking about. Apples and Oranges.

More often than not, the original tradelink contains only one item. If you don't want the item, why offer on it? If anything, being able to partially accept a trade will have benefits for both parties. There have been occassions where I had to make people wait for several hours while an egg hatched or a hatchie matured on my scroll, in order to make space for their offer. This is time wasted when they could have offered the item I don't want anyway on another trade.

As I've said before - trading should be mutually beneficial. The trader/seller WANTS to trade, otherwise they wouldn't have advertised the tradelink. The offerer/buyer WANTS to trade, otherwise they wouldn't offer. The suggestion makes it easier, faster and more efficient to give everybody what they want.

Trading is also not compulsory, so you are more than welcome to NOT trade any more if you don't agree with the way it is done. You'd only be disadvantaging yourself instead of punishing(???) traders. I doubt you'd have gotten your 2nd gen Shimmer by NOT trading, for example. wink.gif

EDIT:

Forgot to add! By offering an egg someone wants and another one that you know they don't want in order to make space for the trade on your scroll, you are basically holding that trade to ransom which is a very underhanded tactic.

Edited by Blue Nadir

Forgot to add! By offering an egg someone wants and another one that you know they don't want in order to make space for the trade on your scroll, you are basically holding that trade to ransom which is a very underhanded tactic.

Agreed.

I mean, I'll offer stuff if it'll make space--but I'll only do it if I think that the other person might honestly want what I'm needing to get rid of for the trade to work. If I don't think they'll have any interest in it, I'll either dump it or I'll pass on the trade unless I can find somebody else who I know wants it to trade or gift it to.

But trying to dump stuff you know they don't want just to make room for your end is... Basically making the trade all about you. That's not right, and selfish. You and your partner should both be benefited by the trade--that's the entire point of trading. (General you in that paragraph, btw)

I... am confused? How are you at a disadvantage if the person picks the egg of yours that they want, and you get the egg that you wanted? It's not the other way around, where the person *offering* gets to pick...

Idk, if you offered on a trade and you end up only having to give one egg as opposed to four or whatever, how is that detrimental to you?

I... am confused? How are you at a disadvantage if the person picks the egg of yours that they want, and you get the egg that you wanted? It's not the other way around, where the person *offering* gets to pick...

Idk, if you offered on a trade and you end up only having to give one egg as opposed to four or whatever, how is that detrimental to you?

lets try again, since it was implied i just wanted to dump bad eggs on the originator of the trade. that's not it at all.

currently, there is a very big advantage if you create a trade and don't offer on another persons. You get to pick and choose, whatever you want, already, while not binding your eggs to one specific offer. If anything, I feel that this offer makes it even LESS desirable to offer on foreign trades, than it already is. I have seen many people who have replied to trade offers on the forums that you should go and cancel your offer, and offer on their link. While this is ok if it works out, it is harsh if it doesn't, since you did lose out on other offers.

Strengthening the desire to be the originator of a trade I see as questionable, as those have all the advantages in trades already. I feel that those who offer on another's trade, will also be kept waiting a lot longer, since if you can't take the full trade, you might as of now, decline it. Then you'd keep it because one art of that deal might still be better than taking no deal at all.

TLDR: this proposal strengthens only one side of trades, and that's the side that has all the advantages to begin with. That's why i oppose it.

@blue nadir: I don't need anything and I could get everything, thank you for your concern.

Lol, I doubt people are trying to 'get rid' of dragons on trades, just trying to offer everything they can in the hope of making their trade more appealing, because you never know what someone might want.

This suggested ability to pick what you wanted from each trade offer would clear all such issues away in a mutually satisfying fashion.

Edit: people who want to 'get rid' of eggs can gift or abandon, rather than risk losing a trade they wanted enough to make an offer for.

I suspect that this perception of people 'getting rid' of eggs on trades stems from these being ones which the person asking for offers doesn't value, (personal taste and needs varying widely among both individuals and various groups with predominately different play-styles, such lineage breeders or traders, not to mention people new to trading) but which may be the best that other person has, or perceived as valuable by them or others.

Re-edit: whitebaron, I absolutely see your point about having to make an offer via Teleport restricting the ability of the 'offer-ee"? from other trading options, (although one actually could post asking for PMs regarding offers on these dragons, and take which ever suitable offer arrived first,) but this suggestion is also good for the 'offer-ee', because then they don't lose eggs they might value and wish to keep to someone who didn't want them in the first place, or lose out on a trade they otherwise could have made.

It's actually a win-win for both sides.

Edited by Syphoneira

- I really don't get how offering multiple eggs, etc. actually constitutes trying to dump unwanted eggs deliberately to annoy the receiver of the trade

- How does the person offering not benefit from this arrangement? Potentially, they'd be able to keep an egg that they'd have lost in the trade with this suggestion? e.g. You offered two golds and now you get to keep one gold out of the deal AND the egg you were trading for? As opposed to me accepting the trade so you lose two golds and I don't want one of the golds so I end up abandoning it to the AP where it dies.

The comment on scrollers was a guess /shrug as to why it was set that way. I think I mentioned I wasn't sure.

I don't see how this is a right or wrong. I've had a few trades where, the person was the same forum name, and I contacted them to let them know I didn't need the entire trade. They've always been very happy, like they couldn't believe someone would take less rather than more. Does that mean I'm doing something wrong? This is usually on single egg/hatchy trades and I try to be specific as to what I like. Some people just throw everything and the kitchen sink at them. I do try to mention now that I'm close to lock, not to get carried away.

I guess what you are saying is you're afraid there would be more competition for trades if this was in place? I can see how that is possible, but like you pointed out, they can only offer the eggs once. Once the trade is accepted, they can offer them elsewhere too.

This would allow me to just screen out any and all inbred rares in a trade instead of shooting the whole trade down and refusing to trade with the person anymore (which I hope isn't against the rules, I am currently neutral toward the trade harassment rule)

Edited by James1011

This would allow me to just screen out any and all inbred rares in a trade instead of shooting the whole trade down and refusing to trade with the person anymore (which is apparently against the rules now, I hate the trade harassment rule).

There's no rule forcing you to trade with certain players...? o_O

This thread has revealed some... um.... very interesting trading habits/opinions which I never previously knew....