ChicknThief

Who else has Chickens!?

*crushed* My mom doesn't want any chickens at the moment. sleep.gif

She told me to ask her again in a few months.

We have two pet chickens: Lady Violet Grantham and Henrietta Penelope. =3

Our first chicken was called Chickie Babe, but she had an unfortunate accident involving a dog. =(

Our current gals are over here, though! xd.png

http://internationalsquirrelofmystery.tumblr.com/page/2

(I was going to just put some images up here, but my computer is being weird).

Edited by Thorn

I have never had chickens, but I have always wanted some! The kind I want is a Golden Laced Wydonnete, good hens and pretty to look at. <3 wub.gif

Edited by Celebi112

I had ten chickens for a while as a young teenager. I raised them from tiny chicks and was very sad when I had to give them all away except one. The one I chose to keep was a big, pretty rooster (who I creatively called Chickie xd.png ) which I kept for several years. I loved him, but he hated everyone but me, I had to make sure he didn't chase my siblings around the yard whenever I let him out. ;D

I got three today! They are so cute! 1 black and white hen (Name: Oreo!) and two chicks! One is white with four white stripes on each wings! *name undecided*

The other is beige with some dark brown markings (Name decided! Welcome Cinnamon!)

My mother's side of the family raises chickens commercially for Tyson. Big huge aluminum houses that stink. They have for decades. I think my mother said she made my dad promise before she married him, that they'd never own chickens.  :P

Wow, that's really interesting! I love Tyson's chicken; your relatives on your mother's side do an excellent job, lmao. XD <3

On my mother's side, my relatives/ancestors have always owned farms until you go back too far and there are only Natives before America was discovered by settlers, bahaa. But they began "farms" at a very early time, and my mother grew up on one. I go there all the time to see the tons of chickens, stray cats, horses and so forth. I really love the chickens - they're all so individual. <3

I got three today! They are so cute! 1 black and white hen (Name: Oreo!) and two chicks! One is white with four white stripes on each wings! *name undecided*

The other is beige with some dark brown markings (Name decided! Welcome Cinnamon!)

Aww, lovely name. <33 One of my five parrots is actually named that! ( Cinnamon ) You've chosen great names for the two so far, methinks. ^-^

Aww, lovely name. <33 One of my five parrots is actually named that! ( Cinnamon ) You've chosen great names for the two so far, methinks. ^-^

I just had a scare! I had them on the balcony! And they jumped down! Angel (The White chick That I decided to name her now) was saved by some feathers! Then when we put them away Angel was almost killed by a cat! But was saved by my German Shepard, Tango! And Cinnamon now has a little limp sad.gif

I LOVE CHICKENS!!!! biggrin.giflaugh.gif

They are my second favourite animal (my first being dragons). I have eight at the moment, though I hope to get more. I started off with one chicken who was a stray cockerel. We took him in and named him Harry. He turned out to be a complete psychopath but we kept him anyway. I don't know what breed he is though I'm guessing he's some kind of hybrid cross Cochin. We bought him three hens to add to the flock. Two Cuckoo Marans called Hepzibar (Hepzi) and Hippolyta, and one Buff Orpington called Hecate, who turned out to be a Pekin cross. We let our chickens free range over the whole field and one day Hippolyta was taken by a fox. sad.gif Not long after that Hecate, who became my favourite, also was taken. sad.gif We incubated four of Hecate's eggs and all hatched. biggrin.gif There was two yellow chicks and two black chicks. The remaining two chickens were put in a large fox-proof pen. We then bought a Lemon Pyle Brahma and called her Bailey. Bailey lays hardly any eggs and spends a lot of her time broody. The yellow chicks turned out to be cockerels and we called them Hickory and Hemlock and the black chicks were girls and we named them Heidi and Hermwood. Hermwood was my special as she came to her name when she was called and liked her belly being rubbed. I think Heidi had some kind of brain damage as she was extremely thick. Sadly Heidi and Hermwood died of a disease sad.gif and we had to separate the two younger cockerels from Harry due to being bullied. We bought the cockerels some bantam hens. Two Mille-Fleur Pekins called Piper and Blossom, and a Gold-Laced Orpington Bantam called Betty. Piper died quite soon due to being diseased when we bought her and many months later Betty died, we don't really know why. sad.gif We then bought two more chickens for Hemlock and Hickory. A Partridge Orpington called Pumpkin and a Blue Partridge Brahma called Pandora (Panny). As soon as we bought Panny she was the soppiest chicken in our flock. I do this trick called the Flop Trick where I lean back with Panny on my stomach and she lies there completely relaxed. laugh.gif Panny also has a special chicken harness where I can walk her on the lead, I don't do it very often though. laugh.gif I would like to get some new hens for Harry as he only has two at the moment but my parents won't let me.

Nice to see another Maran owner HopeDragon.

We have 28 chickens at our house this year for my sisters 4H project. Two types of duel purpose (Maran and Buff Orpington though the Orpington's aren't going to fair because they removed the Duel purpose class and the Marans can show as feather legged), so Cochens (sp?) for fancy clean legged, and some layers for her pullets project.

I currently have two Rhody hens, one Golden hen, a Cuckoo Marans roo, 22 Black Copper Marans, including four gorgeous roos, and four Ameraucana/BCM cross hens. They are grouped into three flocks, just because two of the roos don't appreciate any other males. I have not done any showing, but my kids can all beat the Marans I saw at the fair last year, so I may try showing some later this year. They are all pretty friendly, and there are some amazing characters among my girls. I really love my chickens.

My great aunt had chickens for her garden. They were great at taking care of pests, though they would get carried away and eat some of the strawberries that were meant to be picked. Half of them were lost by hawks.

It can be tough to keep them safe.

My next door neighbor has about a dozen.

One of them hangs out with him and they watch TV together.

I have way too many chickens to count. 8l

AND ducks and guinea fowl.

I currently have two Rhody hens, one Golden hen, a Cuckoo Marans roo, 22 Black Copper Marans, including four gorgeous roos, and four Ameraucana/BCM cross hens. They are grouped into three flocks, just because two of the roos don't appreciate any other males. I have not done any showing, but my kids can all beat the Marans I saw at the fair last year, so I may try showing some later this year. They are all pretty friendly, and there are some amazing characters among my girls. I really love my chickens.

Good luck showing them. xd.png Seems like the Marans are coming back into favor when I first got my hands on them they were hard to find and expensive o.o

Honestly we've never had any issues with our roo's dislikeing any othe roo's but we raised them all together. They seem to instead pick out their girls and one roo will end up being the top bird xd.png.

Showing AFA I've heard can be tough, especially if your stock is from hatchery stock. If you decide to get into breeding so you can continue showing try to find other breeders/chicken owners around who would be willing to go in with buying vaccinces with you (vaccines are expensive, and trust me you want the Marekes one if you can time it right and get a livestock vet to administer it.)

My grandparents on my dad's side of the family have a bunch of hens and roosters. Does that count?

No chickens for me. Bird beaks scare me since I was pecked as a small child.

I used to have them and I miss having them. They're so cool. xd.png I especially miss the rooster crowing in the morning. I'd love to get some silkies, but unfortunately, they wouldn't gel with my 3 cats. lol

Edited by MedievalMystic

I was incubating eggs to replace some of my layers who are dropping off in their egg production. Hatch day arrived, no chicks. One pipped the next day, and I realized there was a gap in the back that was cooling the eggs too much. I got clamps to make sure it was closing completely, but it was too little, too late. The one baby hatched, and I waited one more day then candled the other eggs. A few had developed, but nothing more hatched. My two roosters are getting a little old, too. sad.gif

So, I have one lonely chick, who is really going to end up spoiled. I hold her while I'm on the computer, and she calls loudly for me when I put her back in her brooder. It seems her name is Gemma. <3

I don't have any chickens myself but I'd love to.

My neighbours used have a chicken coop, I think about 4-5 in there. My dog always sniffed the fence around their backyard when I took her out for a walk o_o