nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

When I started playing DC, my main goal was to just have 2 of everything - one male, one female - that dropped in the cave. Well, except the unbreedables - one of each of those would be fine.

Then that vision expanded to creating little "families" - breeding the male/female pairs to create 2nd gen PB babies and then freeze them - one male, one female, and one s1 hatchling for each family.

I like a challenge. Cross that, I LOVE a challenge. And I'm a collector at heart. Being picky is part of the challenge and the fun for me. So almost right from the start I knew I wanted my pairs to be CBs across the board.

Then I discovered lineages. Again, my picky loves-a-challenge side kicked in. The Holiday Spriter Alts drove my collector's side CRAZY. I was determined to get 2nd gens of every Holiday breed out there, Spriter Alts included.

And that's just talking about lineages based on breeds. I discovered the fun of creating lineages based around the dragons' names, too - using song lyrics or movie quotes, etc.

...Fast forward a year.

Now I have CB pairs of absolutely everything that drops in cave except Golds. I have 2nd gens of every Holiday prior to Halloween 2010 (my first Cave holiday) except Holly. I have CBs of every holiday since then. Last but not least, I have 2nd gens from every Spriter Alt except Nepherim's Sweetling, Dis' Snow Angel, and Penk. Had to settle for 3rd gens on all of those rolleyes.gif

My point? Fun with lineages is a lot of the reason I keep playing. I've only seen one CB Gold drop in the year-plus I've been playing, so I won't be completing my CB wishlist anytime soon. Other than breeding up my little families and continuing to attempt to squeeze Alts outta my Vines and Blacks, there'd be nothing left for me to do if it weren't for developing lineages.

I don't mind how people value lineages, because it makes my gifts to others that much more valuable. And I looooooove gifting. I love the pride and joy I feel when I get to share one of my carefully crafted lineages with someone else. I also love the fun of seeing my offspring built into others' lineages.

I am one of the very picky ones. If it weren't for the sentimental value of them, I would release every dragon on my scroll that *isn't* a CB or a perfect, symmetrical lineage. At some point, I plan to reorganize my scroll, putting the CBs first, 2nd gens next, higher-gens after that, and shunting the "messies" waaaaay at the bottom of my scroll.

But I don't do it because I'm a greedy trader who holds every bred egg hostage for the price of a CB Black. I do it because I like the challenge, I like the feeling of having a very "high quality" scroll (even if it is just in my own opinion), and especially I like being able to tell people YES when they request a pretty offspring, giving them many options for pretty parents and then GIFTING it to them.

Edited by jerusha

I totally get how the OP feels. To me, personally, it's *very* frustrating to finally get/breed an uncommon or not-often-seen dragon egg, and go to the trade threads only to see pages and pages of "only CB" and "only low-gen" and such. Wth does it matter?! A lot of times I feel like the trading threads are completely closed off to people who don't care about lineages, because most *all* of the posts are lineage/CB/etc-specific.

Personally, the only lineages I care about at all are Thuwed and Dorkface. I name my dragons accordingly when I realize they are a Thuwed or Dorkface, and I like knowing I have a TJ-decendant or something....

But I definitely don't understand the "only like low-gen" or "only want purebreds" or whatever, especially since in DC-world it just *doesn't matter*. Lineages don't affect your dragon in any way, doesn't make the dragon smarter or better or stronger or anything... So I just don't get it.

I mean, all the dragons that I collected before this lineage thing became a fad, are now worth nothing, and their eggs are completely worthless to me for trading.

If it makes you feel any better, their eggs would be worthless anyway. Except for metallics, blacks, and possibly stripes, even young children can pick up any dragon in the game by themselves without trading with anybody if they don't care about either nice lineages or CB's. Nobody was trading anything for random-lineaged gray eggs three years ago either. Why would they? You can get one from the cave or AP any time.

If anything, it would be more accurate to say that the lineage craze has driven the trading craze.

Another case. I bred one of my Winter seasonals to a Frill, and didn’t get the egg I wanted. SO. . . I bit it. The egg lived! But it repulsed, and there was no Teleport yet, so I couldn’t get it back. =.= http://dragcave.net/lineage/Gpii 3 guesses where the Vamp is now!

This does irk me.

It's a Vampire. It can't breed. Why should it be CB, even-gen, stairstep, whatever? It will never continue a lineage, it can't even be stuck in the middle of another dragon's lineage because unlike Zombies, Vamps had to be turned as eggs & therefore can't have progeny before they become eternal creatures of the night.

I know this might sound simplistic, but... lineages are pretty. I only just started playing, but from the very start, one of my *personal* motivations was to create nice lineages. Not for their marketplace value, just because they look nice.

The polls on this site do suggest that most people desire specific dragon types because they like the sprites. For me, it was a simple jump from "I like how that dragon looks" to "I like how that lineage pattern looks." I love looking at pretty lineages. Sure, it's not for everyone, but to me it's just one more facet of Pretty Dragons Are Pretty.

So, I admit that I'm one of the "irritating" posters who, while a newbie, would prefer CB or nicely-lineaged dragons. It's because of how I play the game -- I want the freedom to build my own pretty patterns, so I'd like as many of my dragons to be "eligible" as possible, in case I want to use them in the future. HOWEVER, I'm also exceedingly grateful for ANY gifts, and do NOT ditch them! I absolutely understand the frustration with people who don't appreciate what you give them. On the other hand, if they picked up something of yours from the AP and changed their mind about keeping it several months later, well... that's their prerogative, I guess. People's tastes and game goals evolve over time.

One last thing, regarding the difficulty of trading "messy" dragons; I think it does also matter what you're trying to trade *for.* It's a trading game, and rarity brings value; I see plenty of people in the trading threads who would gladly trade a ton of commons for a rare of any lineage at all. But if you own the messy rares, and want a different rare, it gets more complicated.

However, as I explore the trading threads, I've seen a LOT of posts where people are either requesting a certain type of dragon regardless of lineage, or else giving away their dragons with no kill/bite/abandon requests, so they know they're being accepted by someone who really wants them. There's always that route to take, if you want to give gifts and know they'll be appreciated.

So, just my two cents. Not trying to ignore your frustration, though!

When I first started playing... around Oct of 08 (and playing horribly because everything died), I didn't care about lineages. Now that I've slowly amassed almost all that I want on my scroll, I do. I like the challenge of it - being able to create and continue something that takes a lot off effort, and contributing to it in a way that is appealing. It's an art form.

Does that mean I value what I produce more? No. I'm often dropping what I bred on the A/P departure boards, the giving tree, the even gen trade/gifting or glomp gifting. Certain things I will use as trade fodder simply because I know there's someone out there that wants the pattern I can produce and they're willing to create the pattern I need in response, but 75% of the time, my eggs offspring are given away for free because the fun of this game, for a lot of people, is to play with the lineages.

Edited by celis

as for me there has never been a time when lineages meant nothing for me smile.gif even when I was a newbie I preferred collecting CB things, or nice-lineagd ones. I just enjoy hte way pretty lineages look, also I love breeding pretty things myself. I'm regularly breeding and throwing to AP pretty even gens. I am one of those players that will not hoard messy Golds/Silvers/Tinsels just because they are shiny. I am hunting specially for pretty-lineaged things smile.gif however I do love and appreciate all the gifts made to me whatever the lineage is. another item when I don't care about the lineage is when it's a BSA dragon.

so, most adults that I have on my scroll are either CB or pretty-lineaged. I also have some messy adults, apart from BSAs or gifted shinies, but I never breed them. I just raise them for number. and most often if I get some AP egg or hatchling that is messy-lineaged, I just freeze it.

Nice lineages are pretty to look at. I'd like to try and do my own or continue one of the nicer ones but then I think about it and say, hey, if my dragon likes another mate best then let them be happy! After working years in a top dog breeding kennels, lineages can really give you headaches sometimes! biggrin.gif

Yeah. I hate 'em too. I love my dragons because they're pretty or interesting or BOTH, not because they have some awesome lineage that, in roleplaying terms, you couldn't see or know anyway!

But, if you aren't a fast clicker or you just NEVER SEE a certain type of dragon you want, you're kind of forced to have to care.

lol the old geezers remembering the good old days! It could be a generational thing.

The biggest reason the lineage thing just irks me to no end is how complete disadvantaged you are if you don't WANT to lineage all your dragons. I've been trying to get a female silver for two solid years. TWO YEARS. I can't catch one, and my male silver has bred unsuccessfully for TWO YEARS. What are my options? Trade. Oh, but there's not a single thing on my scroll that anyone will trade me for, not because of the breed, but because of the freaking lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

Hm, not really. I entered DC in the 4th Quarter 2008, like you, right? And i realized soon that DC is boring, without the combination of hunting for new released eggs AND working on lineages in the time between the releases.

And i have got 2 Silver CBs so far, caught both in the first half of 2009 (a time it was much easier to get a silver than today).

Since that i managed to breed Silvers pretty successful, but not too many. Hunting for it seems impossible. Golds i wasnt able to breed for years now (not to speak of hunting for them), i think, thats nothing special. tongue.gif

But i agree, silvers are really not easy to get without having something really interesting to trade. And gifting silvers is also not so easy, because it is hard to breed one on request.

All these things are part of the game. Complaining may make feeling better, but it solves nothing. Trying to get interesting eggs in the lot of gifting topics in the forum, or just asking in the chat, that would solve the problem (for example). Often I am offering something in the chat and requesting something for it, ending up with a number of offers for free. laugh.gif

Best regards

Aulendil

When I first started Dragon Cave I had no idea about lineages and only wanted to get the dragons I thought were pretty(the reason why I don't have frills). Then a really long time later I started to take interest in the forums and started to understand the beauty of lineages. And then joined the forums and now I even have my own personal lineages projects.

Examples of pretty lineages: http://dragcave.net/lineage/PLZQX http://dragcave.net/lineage/TS5Cg http://dragcave.net/lineage/DeEQW http://dragcave.net/lineage/nShdm http://dragcave.net/lineage/Hpk7E http://dragcave.net/lineage/kC69W http://dragcave.net/lineage/iUvp3 http://dragcave.net/lineage/J7bOc (yes I love arrowhead lineages)

I personally look at dragon lineages a lot. Especially when picking through the ap. Lineage making is simply a different way of playing. There are multiple ways of playing this game and it makes no sense to me why you (the op) are so angry over it.

Putting more time and consideration in how you breed your dragons is work and time consuming. If you put effort into building lineages, then they are special to you and hold value. That's my opinion anyways.

As to your (the op) "Designer breeds" comment. Remember, these are just pixels. It's not the same as real life breeding. It's just for fun. tongue.gif

Now, there are always individuals who will love something despite its lineage. There's a whole group of inbred adopters and breed collectors/hoarders.

Now, there are always individuals who will love something despite its lineage. There's a whole group of inbred adopters and breed collectors/hoarders.

That is very true! I managed to trade a very messy and heavily inbred Season hatchie for this little beauty!

I'm kind of indifferent on this one. I don't like to pick up cave blockers from the ap that have huge lineages. I guess I figure that most people don't want the cave blockers ,let alone the ones that have bad lineage. Although , when it comes to rares , I'll take any and all lineages. Yes , lineage projects and such can be fun. No , I would not be sad if they were permanently removed. I honestly only care about lineages for their trading value. All and all , it would probably make life on the forums a bit easier if lineages no longer made up a key part of the value of an egg/hatchling.

More and more often I find myself missing the time before lineage pages existed. = /

As an avid stalker of the AP almost specifically for lineage purposes (because you never know what sort of treasure people will toss out to us hunters!), I can say that I do love lineages. I enjoy seeing what other people have worked hard to create with their breeding ideas, and seeing if it's something I can emulate and/or work into my own breeding plans. Or I'll keep an egg simply because it inspires a breeding idea. When I breed my dragons, I breed them with the idea of what might get them a decent home if I choose to drop them to the AP rather than trade them away, because there are many folks like me out there- who will gently place an egg back into the pile because it has a lineage that can't be worked with. That doesn't mean the egg is valueless, necessarily, it just doesn't have a value to a breeder or a trader. That's just how the current state of the game is.

Like the OP, I feel the frustration of the trades for the low-gen tinsel thing, as well as the ongoing search for NDs (though I'd rather have the thrill of having made my own, when I get around to experimenting again). But honestly, there isn't a lot that can be done about that. There are also a lot of folks out there looking for BSA hatchies and CB hatchies, if you're willing to do the work of raising the eggs to that stage before making your trade offers, if you're after a metallic. That's just how things go. Frustrating? Yep. And it hurts when you have something you've worked hard on that someone else isn't interested in that you have to let go for 'free' (I don't like to keep my own blood on my scroll, because of the possibility of inbreeding, unless I have a purpose for that offspring). But again, that's just how it goes. I really do wonder just how many trades that are posted every single day are truly successful. Those are the stats we should judge by.

/end wall of text spew

Edited by blackdragon71

I personally look at my dragons' lineages quite a bit. I know quite a few people who also do so.

I enjoy lineages. They're a fun part of the game aside from hoarding ALL the things. >8D Making pretty lineages is actually relatively hard work, in particular in the even-gen area - higher even gens are difficult to attain.

Besides, it gives one a goal that's not just LOL GET ALL THE SPRITES.

And sometimes, lineaged eggs are prettier than CB eggs, especially if the lineage is hard to create or contains spriter alt sprites in it.

The only time lineages don't really matter to me is when the egg/hatchie is a shiny. Infi eats the souls of the shinies no matter how inbred. >8D

I spent hours just stairing at it while im locked. I know I dont have much of a life, as I only type fast while on DC. But I normaly didnt care until I got involed in traded then I started careing how my dragon came to be.

EDITED:: also it can make commons more likeable if they look good with another dragon.

Edited by libby2999

also it can make commons more likeable if they look good with another dragon.

Oh yeah. Big time.

I kinda liked the moonstones when they came out, but then I saw them bred with Valentine dragons and suddenly I was all "Hoard ALL the moonstones!"

As for folks not liking the lineage page... It can be so much fun though. :3

I didn't care so much about lineages when I started. If I looked back, and there was a gold or a silver, sweet! Awesome! But back then, we didn't have a Lineage Checker, so it didn't matter as much. CBs were still in demand for things like Golds and Silvers, but I was astounded to get even a 7th gen Silver Egg from the AP. The four CB metalics I got were entirely on accident, when it wasn't near impossible to get them.

When Lineage came around, I started caring more for them, but not so much the looks as making sure I didn't accidentally inbreed or the like. I went AP diving looking for fun/interesting things, IE Holly Decendants, Purebred Unevens, things like that. But when I took a break late last year, I left my scroll as is.

And I came back, not too long ago. I find that the game's changed, that Spiral and Staircase are sought after, that there are 8 different Rares I can trade and breed for, as opposed to just the Silver and Gold and stuff. I had near 300 dragons coming back, and I'm still going through them, throwing out long lineaged, messy dragons. Left with 4 silvers, 4 golds, and odd numbers of different Trios.

Right this moment I'm building up an Even Gen dragon as a mate for this Bronze I got, with dragons of all sorts. Maybe eventually I'll start a Checkerboard type, maybe Blacks and Magi, as I like those two together.

What this rant boils down to is this. The longer you've been in the game, the more you care about lineage. Once you get all the dragons, there isn't much more to do but Breeding Projects or Hoarding.

i like my own personal lineages.

other lineages don't mean much to me because of they seem to lack pattern :/

the RICK SCROLL win is a hilarious example of what i do lol

I don't really care about linage persay, though I do work on some.

I picked up this inbred from the shelter, and even though it's inbred, IDK. Love the linage of it.

Then there was this silver tinsle I was gifted, and kept the liange because I thought it was neat.

I have some even, some stairstep, and some whatever. And to me, IDK. Though the people asking for 2nd gen holy and/or tinsle bug me because there's so few in play it's not likely they'll get it and they lock out any other traders.

I used to not care about lineages and I would just take any Tinsel no matter what the lineage. Now I'm starting to appreciate the nicer ones and I can't get on any Tinsel lists to try for a better lineage because I already have Tinsels... and I don't want to just kill or release them... sad.gif