nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

I like lineages sometimes because I have this idea that I want to do, and I make it, and it takes a long time and then when it finally pays off, I'm happy because the end result is awesome. This is my Planet Earth EG if anyone's curious. Took me months and months of refusals, no eggs, wrong eggs, uncooperative golds (I never did get MINE to give me babies, had to get them from other people) but now that I look at this nebula I think, whoa hey, this looks AMAZING!

On the other end of things, I'm making some other lines that a lot of people wouldn't appreciate but are beautiful in their own way. biggrin.gif

And to go even further than that, this is a priceless work of art.

No, seriously. xd.png

If it weren't for lineages I'd be bored, because quite honestly with the forums, the only breed that's hard to get is Neglecteds. I can get messy Metals / Prizes / Trios at the drop of a hat, and where's the challenge in that? Heck, I was catching messy HOLLIES by the dozens this Christmas. I get that some people just want to collect masses of the sprites (and at some level I do, too), but I prefer having a bit more excitement to the game than that and that's where pretty lineages come in. It's super satisfying to build a rare or high gen line that looks awesome! biggrin.gif

Lineages can just be fun! I do some just for my own amusement.

I don't usually have the patience to do really long or complicated lineages, but I have a sudden obsession with stalking the AP for usable bits of certain well known mass breedings and trying to use them for my own ideas. Talk about a challenge! tongue.gif

hopes they don't refuse> http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/Lineage.ph...en=2&mate=Djn42

and then to tackle the challenge of finding or creating suitable mates for these

http://dragcave.net/lineage/aCjWz

http://dragcave.net/lineage/LR5ym

I love lineages, personally. A lot of time, effort and planning goes into them, and I really appreciate that kind of dedication. What I personally hate are inbred and/or messes that so many players create (technically these are a type of lineage too) and dead lineages (lineages with dead dragons [i don't mean Zombies - I mean actual dead, tombstoned dragons).

Hey now! xd.png What's wrong with Inbreds and Deadlines? wink.gifwub.gif

I personally love lineages. I'm working on one that has song lyrics from songs I love, and one that references a TV show I like. Sure, it can be frustrating, but it's also pretty fun. But if I find an egg I really want that's otherwise hard to get, I'll take it regardless of lineage. I understand people disliking it, but I think it adds another bit of fun to the game. Deadlines and Inbreds are particularly hilarious, I have two Stripes on my scroll that have absurd lineages, and I laugh every time I see them xd.png

I heavily filter the dragons that come onto my scroll at this point. If I was going by "get all the sprites" I would be completely done right now.

Now, for Shimmers/Tinsels, I don't accept any new ones on my scroll above 5G. I also don't accept messy metals or anything. I don't like them because I LOVE the way lineages look. I love the colors, I love even gens, I adore checkers.

Back when I started, yeah I didn't give a crap about the lineage because there was no way to see them. When we got that option, I started caring because it's helpful to be able to trade for sprites you're missing when you have nice things on your scroll to breed and trade for them.

I don't allow messy things on my scroll unless they're frozen hatchlings.

It puts a lot more meaning into my scroll for me.

I actually don't allow inbred adults on my scroll, generally speaking. I have maybe 2 inbred adults total, and that's only because they slipped through the cracks growing up (I intended to freeze them, but missed doing so). All other inbreds I freeze, and I tend to freeze messy lineages too.

I used to have about 40 inbred adults on my scroll years ago, and once I learned of exactly what lineages were (via the forums, and using a checker I found on a click site) I dumped all of those inbreds into the wild. Those types of lineages bug me.

The only way I dislike lineages is in terms of how much they dominate trading value. If its not a specific way then no one will bat an eye at it or if the mate is too common or the line too overdone, you best bet you're never gonna trade it. It really hinders collection and completion when so many users focus on who the parents are and how over done it is over its overall rarity. Overall rarity is only ever really considered when its a CB too adding to this distress. Generally though most of the people who enjoy lineages and base a majority of their trade value on them are the ones who have most of not all the dragons and as such its very discouraging to new players and old players who have little to nothing of value to offer.

Edited by AnanoKimi

When I first started I didn't care what the lineage was, I just wanted to collect the sprites. After a while I started caring, but just wanted CBs (or 2g for alts/hybrids).

Then the prize dragons showed up and I had no choice but to get longer lineaged prize dragons to even have a chance at getting the sprites themselves. However, I limited it to stairsteps/spirals as they were easier for me to continue.

Then I picked up this Holly, one of my first. I felt it would be a crime to either leave it unbred or to just breed it to a CB, so I took the time to create a mate for her (and it's still not a perfect mate, as I realized this year that it needed to be a white...bah!).

Now, due to AP hunting during the Holidays, I'm getting lineage ideas to work on my own. One being a Golden Wyvern x Red Copper EG.

That said, I still don't tolerate inbreds or messies. Inbreds though I don't mind if it's well planned like the one SolarCat posted, hell...I've been working on this one off and on for some time (though it's currently at a standstill due to a streak of 'no interest/no egg' dry.gif ).

Guess you could say my stance has changed over the years xd.png.

Hey now!  xd.png  What's wrong with Inbreds and Deadlineswink.gif  wub.gif

Well, inbreds freak me out to be honest with you. Being an ex biology major (forever a bio nerd though), I understand the implications of inbreeding (of course not all species are affected in the same way by inbreeding, but some do suffer negative effects from it, such as dogs and humans; I tend to assume we'd have relationships with the dragons we collect as we would with dogs, humans, horses, parrots, etc.). Although I understand that these are just pixels, it still carries a stigma with it for me. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, and I'm probably not describing it in the best possible way. The whole thing just makes me uncomfortable.

My opinion on dead lines is simply that, before the tombstone sprite changes, I thought they were ugly. I'd also seen users try to pass off dead lineages as shorter lineages than they actually were (for example a "2nd gen Prize" from a non Prize parent and a dead Prize parent), and the whole thing reeked of a scam aimed at newer players. So I tend to avoid them for those reasons. However, with the new tombstone sprite changes, I'd be a little more interested in at least seeing what deadlines look like with them.

Well, inbreds freak me out to be honest with you. Being an ex biology major (forever a bio nerd though), I understand the implications of inbreeding (of course not all species are affected in the same way by inbreeding, but some do suffer negative effects from it, such as dogs and humans; I tend to assume we'd have relationships with the dragons we collect as we would with dogs, humans, horses, parrots, etc.). Although I understand that these are just pixels, it still carries a stigma with it for me. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, and I'm probably not describing it in the best possible way. The whole thing just makes me uncomfortable.

My opinion on dead lines is simply that, before the tombstone sprite changes, I thought they were ugly. I'd also seen users try to pass off dead lineages as shorter lineages than they actually were (for example a "2nd gen Prize" from a non Prize parent and a dead Prize parent), and the whole thing reeked of a scam aimed at newer players. So I tend to avoid them for those reasons. However, with the new tombstone sprite changes, I'd be a little more interested in at least seeing what deadlines look like with them.

I hear you on the inbreds. I believe all my dragons are sentient (and describe them as such), so even if, yes, it's still just little pixels with the same names appearing more than once, it makes me think of my characters doing incest and me no likely one iota. Distant relatives is obviously a lot different than closely related ones, but I avoid it because what the hey, I've kept it non inbred this long and would like to continue doing so. Plus, avoiding inbreeding takes more effort / is more of a challenge. wink.gif

I STILL see people try to pass off deadlines as low gens, it irks me to no end. It's extra bad with Prizes. I hope no one's traded for one just to turn around and find it's not what they thought they were getting (in terms of offspring value) :/

Edits for sleepy typos.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

It really hinders collection and completion when so many users focus on who the parents are and how over done it is over its overall rarity.

Yes and no...I mean if a new players only goal is completion it's not difficult to get the 'sprites' of even the most rare of dragons. People toss off long or messy prizes and metals in gifting threads all the time, and while they are harder to find in the AP I have picked up a good many there over the years. ND is about the only exception, and I think those are hard to come by for the majority of players, regardless of what lineages they can breed.

I dunno....I don't care about the lineage. If I see somebody gifting an Avatar or offering a Gold for trade, I wouldn't think twice and just do what I could to get it. I like looking at pretty AND messy lineages, though. I like to explore the dragons, and if I caught the egg from the AP or got it through trade/gifting, I could see dragons from other people's scrolls. If I see another scroll, I might find a dragon with a Thuwed or Wild ancestor! That is really the only thing I like about lineages. I get grumpy at looking at trades sometimes. I might even have the right breed, just not a 'Checker with gold parents and a Thuwed ancestor'! I like and don't like lineages, pretty much. I love exploring ancestry and other scrolls, if possible, but people asking for crazy lineages that people probably don't have drives me batty!

Sorry if my little thing here is confusing. Typing fast and on an iPad.

I love lineages. I love going trough the AP looking for pretty lineages.

I like looking for pretty checkers in the AP, find combinations i would not have thought of myself. Except for holiday checkers, i dont do a lot of lineages myself, but i do have a weakness for Metal fails and checkers that stand out due to their color combinations.

I love lineages. There have only been a few I've seriously worked on, most of them inspired by finds in the AP. I just pick up a 2g egg and say, "Holy crap! Whoever chose these parents was a genius!" and I work on spreading the prettiness the best I can. ^0^

Common x common checkers are my favorite lineages, definitely, because they're fun to continue and pretty to look at. I'll collect rare x rares but won't typically continue them. And something like this... agh, I can't imagine the frustration of trying to get a Gold from a Balloon!

Lineages are fun because they're pretty and they're families. <3

There are so many benefits of having them: description ideas/references, shareable naming schemes, shareable song lyrics, creating dragon families, creating beauty, stockpiling sprites, breeding trading fodder... and then there's seeing someone else continuing a lineage you worked hard on! I see it as an incredibly rewarding experience.

There's also value in long lines as well as short ones. Long lines are prettier IMO, and sometimes look more complete. When it comes to even-gens, I almost always prefer the longer lines. Same with arrowheads.

I personally adore most inbreds and deadlines, but that's a personal preference thing. I think they're usually easier to breed though. tongue.gif I only have one inbred line right now that I'm working on, otherwise I don't inbreed them. Definitely not a fan of inbreeding unless there is an apparent pattern in the lineage; I don't like those that look accidental.

I'm at the point in the game where I'm pretty satisfied with my collection of dragons. My goals in DC are basically just describing dragons and building lineages. Eventually I hope to have a scroll where I can look at most any random dragon's line and give a two-syllable impressed "damn".

I still have dragons with messy lineages, and there are many I haven't been able to let go of because of sentimental value, but I don't gain anything from picking up a messily bred dragon anymore. I do gain (at least personal enjoyment), however, when I pick up something with a well-thought out lineage. It's just the way I play the game.

Lineages also make me like a lot more dragons that I hated previously. I was never a big fan of Royal Blues, but something like this I'll keep and try to continue. Personal preference be forgotten, they look good together!

I mean..I think lineages just give something more for players to do in the game. I like trying to work on specific lineages because it gives me a goal and something to work on. And I like finding pretty lineages both because they're pretty and I know someone worked really hard on it. And it's fun to find nice lineages that you know you can continue.

I don't MIND messy lineages, but I tend to toss them back in the AP if I pick them up. Mostly just because you only get a limited number of egg slots and I'm normally trying to work on a couple different projects at once and I want those spots for eggs in my projects or eggs I can work with. The problem with messy lineages is that you can't use them to make or continue lineage projects. Unless you're trying to make like the biggest, most epic messiest lineage ever. Which hey, is actually a pretty cool idea.

I heavily filter the dragons that come onto my scroll at this point. If I was going by "get all the sprites" I would be completely done right now.

Now, for Shimmers/Tinsels, I don't accept any new ones on my scroll above 5G. I also don't accept messy metals or anything. I don't like them because I LOVE the way lineages look. I love the colors, I love even gens, I adore checkers.

Back when I started, yeah I didn't give a crap about the lineage because there was no way to see them. When we got that option, I started caring because it's helpful to be able to trade for sprites you're missing when you have nice things on your scroll to breed and trade for them.

I don't allow messy things on my scroll unless they're frozen hatchlings.

It puts a lot more meaning into my scroll for me.

Yes, that pretty much sums up my stance on lineages. Originally, I didn't care, and I still have the occasional inbred. I don't usually breed them, but sometimes... For example, when the introduction of trophies was announced, my goal was to get to 500 dragons before that (with the old limits of 4 (+1) eggs maximum / 4 hatchlings maximum, where you couldn't grab another egg if you already had 4 hatchlings) and get enough reds to never run out of incubates. Since reds were rarer back then than they are now, I decided to breed all of mine, inbreds included.

Overall, it's a matter of what I need at the moment, I guess. I also did some intentional inbreeding after finding this marrow in the AP, later creating this kind of lineage out of it.

Personally, I've grown really, really fond of checkers, especially holiday checkers and other patterned even-gens. Who would say that this lineage isn't lovely, if only for all the effort put into it? (And guess what? I'm working on a "perfect" mate to continue the pattern. Although I'm considering various options by now. It sure gives me something to do but wait for new releases.) Or lineages like this or this one. wub.gif Sure, they're practically worthless for trades unless you opt for a bloodswap or happen to have bred a metal checker. But their perceived value is not why I breed them. It's because I honestly enjoy creating and continuing them. And you know what? Both my 3rd and 4th gen offspring from that Valentine lineage usually get picked up readily. Both Vals have a lot of offspring, only one of which ever got frozen. And more than 80% of them even got named. That shows me just how much people appreciate finding these eggs.

The only way I dislike lineages is in terms of how much they dominate trading value. If its not a specific way then no one will bat an eye at it or if the mate is too common or the line too overdone, you best bet you're never gonna trade it. It really hinders collection and completion when so many users focus on who the parents are and how over done it is over its overall rarity. Overall rarity is only ever really considered when its a CB too adding to this distress. Generally though most of the people who enjoy lineages and base a majority of their trade value on them are the ones who have most of not all the dragons and as such its very discouraging to new players and old players who have little to nothing of value to offer.

I can understand this, too. I used to feel the same way. However, that's where gifting threads come in. Or people who put some variation of "I breed on request" in their signature. I'd be happy to breed any golds and silvers and all prizes (save my 2nd gen) on request - and the latter is only excluded because it's still growing up and I promised myself to breed for certain people first.

Edited by olympe

I generaly don't care for messy lineages but with my need for certain dragons now that I have my prize and other lineage plans it makes it difficult to hoard messies. I don't mind lineages and am working on one of my own with whites and moonstones but all in all I find it annoying when some of the eggs I may need are like Echo said are x gen checkered with y rare parent as a mate for z dragon.

As a hoarder it personally makes it difficult to get the right dragons because either the request is beyond my ability (CB Metals and such) or lineages I cannot create.

[EDIT:]

I can understand this, too. I used to feel the same way. However, that's where gifting threads come in. Or people who put some variation of "I breed on request" in their signature. I'd be happy to breed any golds and silvers and all prizes (save my 2nd gen) on request - and the latter is only excluded because it's still growing up and I promised myself to breed for certain people first.

As with many I feel like a bother and sometimes due to my lack of nice things other than my tinsel, I feel unable to compete in a sense, and depending on gifting threads feels as much of a crutch as my tinsel. Then again I guess trading could also be a crutch considering I can't catch anything good xd.png

Edited by AnanoKimi

I generaly don't care for messy lineages but with my need for certain dragons now that I have my prize and other lineage plans it makes it difficult to hoard messies. I don't mind lineages and am working on one of my own with whites and moonstones but all in all I find it annoying when some of the eggs I may need are like Echo said are x gen checkered with y rare parent as a mate for z dragon.

As a hoarder it personally makes it difficult to get the right dragons because either the request is beyond my ability (CB Metals and such) or lineages I cannot create.

:S I don't understand how it's hard for you to get the right dragons when, as a CB Prize owner, you can literally request anything you want.

From my standpoint, I get irritated when someone turns my carefully thought out lineage into a messy baby. I get some people get frustrated with the pretty lineages but a lot of us have been playing for years like I have and it keeps us from boredom to build these lineages. Also, I can't stand messies for the most part, never have been able to due to severe OCD. So, I can understand where everyone is coming from, but each kind of dragon has its place and everyone has their unique play style and builds their scrolls different ways. I also know how it feels to not easily get shinies but that's part of the challenge in my opinion and the fun of it.

Edited by beautifuldragon5000

She doesn't like trading away her prize offspring. That's all. Personally, I'd probably feel the same.

I don't think that people who breed messy lineages don't care about their dragons. I understand not wanting to put lots of time and effort into an intensive project.

You can't even imagine how much work went into this 49-gen lineage... and there's so much more to do.

I appreciate even gens, but I like putting a bit of variety into them. I love colors. I love Stripes because you never know what you get. I love hunting for even gens and trying to get all the possible CB ancestors.

Stairsteps and checkers may be pretty to look at, but they're a pain to continue if they involve rare CBs or your dragons don't cooperate, or you don't want to break up pairings to provide the right mate.

Personally I like them pretty lineages.

At first when I started out I wasn't bothered at all of the lineages, doubt I even checked them so most of my dragons from '10 are really messy ones.

Recently when I came back, I'd check on all of my dragons and it kind of bothered me to see such a mess at some. Now, I'm mostly aiming for neat lineages but I'm also fine with messy ones but wouldn't prefer them.

:S I don't understand how it's hard for you to get the right dragons when, as a CB Prize owner, you can literally request anything you want.

Thats a very big misconseption, especially since I mainly raffle and gift my tinsel offspring away. I dislike the thought of my tinsel propagating for the sole purpose of benefiting me. It brings me joy and as such I want to make that joy as accessible as possible to those around me.

Ont top of that, relying on my tinsel for trading would be a very nasty crutch to my game. I can be very prideful in my goals and as such I like to earn and work for them. If I can catch it I will, if I can trade for it I will, and if I can breed it I will. That being said though aside from countless messies, long gens with hardly any value, and tons of CBs I don't know what to do with, What I can offer doesnt tend to be very desirable. The metals I do have are still very few in terms of CB and pretty lines are hard to continue with such little CB blood. I could mass breed my commons but that would take time and possibly not bring me the value I need for what I'd like in exchange, and CB dragons only go so far in terms of value unless their CB. As such being a hoarder is difficult. I don't always need CBs though they are a pleasure to have as part of a goal to allow for breeding gifts to others.

A good example is I am having horrid luck getting my hands on another Coat Pyralspite and at least 2 Alpine Pyralspites. Really that is all I need seeing as I want one of each of those two to be a mate for Lord Myst and the final two of each to be there to breed gifts to toss back to the community. I also need a green CB copper, and would be happy with one, again as a mate for Myst, but all three of those are so rare that nothing I've thrown into the trading forums has resulted. Heck even a gender swap for a misgendered coast pyralspite resulted in me trading it for a blue CB Nebula that I was also seeking at the time.

So really the trading market goes one of three ways:

-Either you have desirable low gen prizes and occasionally metals

-You have low-mid gen metals and rares with desirable lineages.

-You have rare or metal CBs

Some more common bred dragon lineages are also desirable here and there but they are few as far as I've seen. Aside from the prize (Which again I'd like to not completely rely on) I am at some disadvantage. As a disclaimer though I do not hate lineages, again, I am personally working on one and find them quite interesting to continue and create, but all in all lineages added another mild disadvantage to the more casual hoarder/player.

Another great thing about lineages is they make commons more desirable. Another boring common sitting in the cave? Meh, been there done that, can always get one later if I need it. But if I find a nice lineaged one, oooh, I'm gonna get it... and then who knows, maybe I'll be motivated to take the cave ones too to build a mate for it biggrin.gif

Many commons on my scroll that I'd not have looked twice at as caveborns are there for having beautiful, carefully planned ancestries. xd.png