nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

I am quite fond of nice lineages, for a couple of reasons.

1. I've already collected every dragon except for the Hollies, and I'm set to recieve one of them this year. As such, I needed something new to hunt for beyond just getting new breeds... and hunting for nice lineages provides that! You can find any old messy dragon in the AP, but finding or breeding nice ones takes effort. Once Halloween's over, I'm planning to start a lineage project myself to keep me busy. <3

2. They simply look prettier to me, and they're a sign that someone else in the cave is putting a lot of work and dedication into the game. Things like this or this are much prettier to look at than things like this. No real effort or planning went into the last one. There's no neat combo of colors to look at. But the first two DO show that hard work and beauty. When you've got all the sprites, the lineages are the next piece of artwork to admire. <3

3. Last but not least... nicely lineaged dragons are more valuable. Let's assume that DC's players are roughly divided into people who care about lineage and people who don't. If I have a dragon with a messy lineage, it'll only appeal to one group. But if I have a dragon with a nice lineage, it appeals to those who care about lineage AND those who don't, thus making it all that much easier to secure a trade. smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

i like lineages. as far as collecting goes, you can only o so much. once you've got all the sprites, then what? you may as well just save the wiki page, and you've got all the sprites right there. but with lineages, it gives you a bigger, more pointed goal. you can't exactly look up what a pretty lineage on google and have it actually be unique. if you create your own lineage and work really hard at it, it means a little something more than just a pretty picture.

I am quite fond of nice lineages, for a couple of reasons.

1. I've already collected every dragon except for the Hollies, and I'm set to recieve one of them this year. As such, I needed something new to hunt for beyond just getting new breeds... and hunting for nice lineages provides that! You can find any old messy dragon in the AP, but finding or breeding nice ones takes effort. Once Halloween's over, I'm planning to start a lineage project myself to keep me busy. <3

2. They simply look prettier to me, and they're a sign that someone else in the cave is putting a lot of work and dedication into the game. Things like this or this are much prettier to look at than things like this. No real effort or planning went into the last one. There's no neat combo of colors to look at. But the first two DO show that hard work and beauty. When you've got all the sprites, the lineages are the next piece of artwork to admire. <3

3. Last but not least... nicely lineaged dragons are more valuable. Let's assume that DC's players are roughly divided into people who care about lineage and people who don't. If I have a dragon with a messy lineage, it'll only appeal to one group. But if I have a dragon with a nice lineage, it appeals to those who care about lineage AND those who don't, thus making it all that much easier to secure a trade. smile.gif

...And a single CB hatchie is worth more than any of those. When trading, people don't want lineages at all, they want CBs or at most 2nd gens, and I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

Seriously, don't get me wrong. I do love lineages, or I wouldn't spend so much of my time on DC creating and discussing them (this is one of my latest successes). I just don't pretend that they have value to anyone other than myself and maybe the small sub-set of people who also like even-gens. As such, I don't trade my even-gen lineages - I gift them, maybe do lineage swaps or drop them to the AP in the hopes of giving someone a pleasant surprise.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

It might be that gathering CB dragons is the current trend. People have focused on lineages so much they let the CB collection go. I know many people now who are trying to fill up the CB quota for their scroll. Some have even increased that quota and are on the hunt again. I went through an entire summer and a greater part of the spring and fall filling up on 150 CB dragons I needed to reach 8CBs of each. Recently I thought about increasing that again to 10. I just don't know whether I want to go through the pain of getting the CB stripes, blacks, and trios again.

Since I am done with my CB sets for the most part, I want nothing but lineaged dragons right now. I've even caught CB hatchlings and low timed eggs from the AP and swapped them out for lineaged dragons. It might be a while but maybe trade offers will switch back to lineaged dragons eventually.

It might be that gathering CB dragons is the current trend. People have focused on lineages so much they let the CB collection go. I know many people now who are trying to fill up the CB quota for their scroll. Some have even increased that quota and are on the hunt again. I went through an entire summer and a greater part of the spring and fall filling up on 150 CB dragons I needed to reach 8CBs of each. Recently I thought about increasing that again to 10. I just don't know whether I want to go through the pain of getting the CB stripes, blacks, and trios again.

Since I am done with my CB sets for the most part, I want nothing but lineaged dragons right now. I've even caught CB hatchlings and low timed eggs from the AP and swapped them out for lineaged dragons. It might be a while but maybe trade offers will switch back to lineaged dragons eventually.

True. I have my goal of 8 CBs of every breed largely sorted (with the notable exception of metallics - I still don't have a single CB Silver and I treasure my four CB Golds), and I recently decided to collect a male, female and ungendered frozen CB hatchie for each breed too, which should give more options of commons for people to offer me in trades. Mind you, I still need to go through my frozen hatchies, pick out the CBs I already have and move them to the right section, then I can update my profile with what I'm missing.

I can probably breed you some nice lineages if you like, depending on what you're looking for. wink.gif

i love lineages, and i'm happy to continue them no matter how much time it takes!

i have one messy metallic, and i love it. all of my metallics were gifts except for one of my silvers.

I have four marrow x ember checkers, all because of one, so i could continue the lineages.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE stairsteps with a passion, but they are easier to continue as well..

...And a single CB hatchie is worth more than any of those. When trading, people don't want lineages at all, they want CBs or at most 2nd gens, and I'm as guilty of this as anyone.

Seriously, don't get me wrong. I do love lineages, or I wouldn't spend so much of my time on DC creating and discussing them (this is one of my latest successes). I just don't pretend that they have value to anyone other than myself and maybe the small sub-set of people who also like even-gens. As such, I don't trade my even-gen lineages - I gift them, maybe do lineage swaps or drop them to the AP in the hopes of giving someone a pleasant surprise.

Would you be willing to trade one of this for a hatchie of that lineage? I don't mind if it's black or moonstone. It's gorgeous!

On topic, I agree completely. People only want CB or extremely low lineaged rare dragons. It makes trading a game for hunters. Like I said, lineages such as mine are worth nothing on the market, so I toss them occasionally on the AP hoping I can make someone happy.

I'll say it again, I absolutely love even gens that are multiple dragons (more than two) or checkers of unusual combinations. I have an apprecation for checkers because they are easier to run trades for but people have a very fickle taste for what checkers are pretty, but I don't want to produce what everyone else is. That means its harder to find people who want to trade for the lineages. It seems as though I can't 'win' at the trading game.

On topic, I agree completely. People only want CB or extremely low lineaged rare dragons. It makes trading a game for hunters. Like I said, lineages such as mine are worth nothing on the market, so I toss them occasionally on the AP hoping I can make someone happy.

At least I'm fortunate in that I can usually grab things like Trios, Blacks and Stripes from the cave to trade. Even so, however, there's no guarantee that I'll necessarily get what I'm looking for. Often I have to settle for something I wasn't really after or I just keep the egg in question (this is even more likely to happen now that I'm looking for CBs to freeze).

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I can probably breed you some nice lineages if you like, depending on what you're looking for. wink.gif

Right now any 7 day eggs that are on my scroll are magis or eggs from my magi lineages. I recently started a magi x nebula lineage because I was looking for alt nebulas to freeze. Once the nebula hatched and alted, ready for freezing, I decided to let it grow up. I liked how it looked with the magi so I didn't have the heart to freeze it. I'll continue looking for two messy alt nebulas to freeze.

Any magi lineage would be great. I like long even gens or planned inbreds, checkers or spirals. Pretty much any lineage that has to do with magis. I'm looking to get a second gen thuwed magi but I still have to wait for my shallow water.

Very long lineaged, inbred splits are also of interest to me. There's also the elusive second gen holly from a magi parent that I will continue looking for. Though if I find a spiral or stair with magis on the AP, I'll consider myself lucky. I've had multiple chances to get a second holly but I'm keeping that spot open for a magi line.

Other than those things, I have my second gen strips to collect. I still need one from a yule, alt sweetling, and male gold. My one CB gold is currently tied up trying to breed a gold from a magi, so no stripe from him for a while.

When i started playing.. i couldnt care less about lineages. :[

i was just super grateful for whatever rare/uncommon egg i could grab. didnt really care if its lineage is messy as hell or if its inbred beyond belief.

When i joined the forums though i found that dragons with better lineages were much more valuable.. that put me in a meek position since i didnt have much dragons w good lineages nor had i much CBs, the only silver i had at that time was a 4th gen inbred.

But haha, anyways, lineages are pretty xd.png. And i guess i'de much rather prefer a dragon with a good lineage rather than one with a messy one if i was given a choice, but other wise, i dont really care about lineages.

I take great care in lineages. At first, like most people, I didn't care about them (I couldn't have, since we didn't have the Lineage tool), but as soon as I discovered them, I took interest in making and getting nice ones.

If DC was only about LOL let's get ALL the breeds, I would've stopped playing LONG ago, when I collected at least one dragon per breed; or I would be dragging along, getting new dragons when they're released, and that would be it.

Lineages add to the game. They can be so damn hard to make, and some can just look so beautiful (color mixes, shapes, patterns, ecc.), that they automatically make an egg more valuable to me.

Edited by Kirjava-Kitsune

I collect CBs, but mainly for creating lineages, most of them Even Gens.

I love my even Gens!

People have asked me to breed for them, to get fitting mates for Tinsels or others, or just to look at them.

This one is created with all lineage dragons on my scroll http://dragcave.net/lineage/o2hie

These and many more are bred from AP finds http://dragcave.net/lineage/UFd18 http://dragcave.net/lineage/m00u9

This 9th Even Gen Non Inbred Tinselkin (with a 4th Gen in there that I bred and APd) I value very much and will breed later on to a 10th Gen and maybe go even higher with my collection that's continually growing. I have several people who gift me Evens they find on the AP and don't need themselves or CBs for lineage projects. It's a great community!

And I definitely prefer this http://dragcave.net/lineage/nm10a to a 3rd or 4th Gen mixed stair... I would never ever call an Even Gen created out of many different breeds a "messy" dragon. But it's true, most people have to be on Dragoncave for 6 months to a year before discovering the beauty in Evens...

Edited by lilysally

I love lineages. I think it adds to the game. There's nothing I can really say that hasn't already been posted, but I will throw in my opinion anyway. laugh.gif

I've always been interested in genetics and animal husbandry, so planned breeding with specific goals are naturally something I like. It feels like the breeder really put effort into making the egg, as opposed to just throwing the two closest dragons together. I also really like intensive, mental projects, so planning and breeding lineages are a good challenge for me.

In real life, I'm involved in equine rescues and I see the problem of rescues all over the country being too full and running out of room. A big cause of that is irresponsible breeding from people who have a pet horse and say "Hey, she's a mare. We'll breed her for the heck of it." So my disapproval of goal-less breeding crosses over to DC. I like seeing that a dragon was bred with a concept in mind.

And as a designer, aesthetics are a big plus for me. When I see a lineage that's eye-pleasing, I really feel grateful for all the work and planning that went into it.

Don't get me wrong- I don't think that people who breed messy lineages don't care about their dragons. I understand not wanting to put lots of time and effort into an intensive project. That's just not my style.

That being said, I do massive scroll breedings every so often and release the eggs to the AP or gift them. Most of these are EG, but some aren't. They're not bred with a lineage in mind. But, I do this in case they get in the hands of people who may be inspired to breed a mate and start a lineage. Or, they end up with people who don't care about lineages and just want to cuddle with dragons. I'm happy either way. I like sharing with both sides. xd.png

lol the old geezers remembering the good old days! It could be a generational thing.

The biggest reason the lineage thing just irks me to no end is how complete disadvantaged you are if you don't WANT to lineage all your dragons. I've been trying to get a female silver for two solid years. TWO YEARS. I can't catch one, and my male silver has bred unsuccessfully for TWO YEARS. What are my options? Trade. Oh, but there's not a single thing on my scroll that anyone will trade me for, not because of the breed, but because of the freaking lineage. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament.

Does this mean you're willing to take any Silver no matter how terribly messy its lineage is?

I joined around the same time you did, and after catching eggs and catching eggs and grabbing from the AP breeding nice lines was the only creative thing left to do on DC. A perfect evengen checker is a joy to behold and frankly, I respect the breeder for the care put into it. Just breeding any two random 3gen even dragons to get a fourthgen just doesn't count.

I look at my lines a lot. I enjoy trading with and for my lineages instead of grabbing any old egg on the AP that's the type I'm hunting. It has basically become the DC 'Economy'.

I love lineages but only to 5th gen, over that and I find them annoying as crap. Though for cb blacks i LOVE them, since Christmas I've caught about 15 and gave most for an IOU I'm working on

Does this mean you're willing to take any Silver no matter how terribly messy its lineage is?

If you ARE, I can breed you a messy one next time I am unlocked. I have a few I got before I was that concerned smile.gif And I NEVER get rid (well, almost never..)

Considering how old some of the posts are I wonder if some of those players ever changed their minds?

If you ARE, I can breed you a messy one next time I am unlocked. I have a few I got before I was that concerned smile.gif And I NEVER get rid (well, almost never..)

You can add me to that list, too! smile.gif

I love lineages, personally. A lot of time, effort and planning goes into them, and I really appreciate that kind of dedication. What I personally hate are inbred and/or messes that so many players create (technically these are a type of lineage too) and dead lineages (lineages with dead dragons [i don't mean Zombies - I mean actual dead, tombstoned dragons).

I wouldn't say that I HATE lineages.

In fact, I rather like a nice lineage when I can get them.

That being said, I have a few messies on my scroll. I LIKE a pretty lineage, BUT I am not sure that I care QUITE as much as some folks do.

I can't stand messy lineages, but stairs or evengens are awesome. Some dragons I'll only take CB of (male vines, red dorsals, tan ridgewings) but some dragons I don't have a choice about. (Soulpeace and the like) I do enjoy lineages though, because some of them can be so beautiful.

I mean, some lineages such as this one http://dragcave.net/lineage/OknKq are amazing and I can't wait to get an egg this Halloween. But that's just an example.

Edited by shadowfighter

Would you be willing to trade one of this for a hatchie of that lineage? I don't mind if it's black or moonstone. It's gorgeous!

I just want to note that this is NOT necessarily true. I happily trade for anything that appeals to me, including "high gen" lineaged eggs. For example I recently traded for this:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/kfRu9

This lineage is gorgeous. I can't continue it but I don't even care, I wanted it badly. The length of it was IRRELEVANT to me. In fact, I PREFER higher gens in some lineage forms, especially spirals and evengens. A well-done high-gen evengen is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen on DC and I think spiral doesn't really look good UNTIL it's at higher gens because the pattern isn't fully realized before then. A 2G or 3G "spiral" isn't really a spiral, just the foundations for one.

So yeah if you have high gen stuff to trade, know that there are people like me out there who will value them for their aesthetic and other qualities rather than counting their gens. smile.gif

EDIT: Also if you (meaning anyone in the thread or who happens to read this) really want a prize or metal and you don't care about its lineage, PM me. I don't have any really nice lineaged ones, but if you just want the sprite and don't care much about its lineage, I can definitely help provide them. smile.gif I have red and green copper, silver, gold, and all colors of both prize species.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I wouldn't say that I HATE lineages.

In fact, I rather like a nice lineage when I can get them.

That being said, I have a few messies on my scroll. I LIKE a pretty lineage, BUT I am not sure that I care QUITE as much as some folks do.

Same!

I love the pretty lineages, but the messes? I like some of them because they can hilarious/awesome.

I love lineages, they're the thing that keeps the game interesting to me. smile.gif Creating a beautifull 4+ gen checker is a challenge and it takes a lot of effort and dedication to make.

Edited by stagazer_7