nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

xd.png I like lineages... mostly because I feel a lot of pride for the one's that have been hard to make... *cough*mycodelineage*cough**cough* ...

I like larger gens too... especially if they're pretty xd.png

although finding a mate for them... is another thing entirely... :l

however I never am able to trade away anything regardless of what it is =_=; although I don't get my hands on CB rares ever... but ya 2nd gen black? nope no offers... not even if I'm just asking for any hatchies...

Well, I like lineages... but when it comes to rares, I'll take whatever I can get. I don't really care for purebred/even-gen lineages, but certain pairings and patterns can be cool (actually, I find giant messy inbred lineages very fun to look at, I collect them. CB is kinda boring.). It all depends on how you want to play the game.

i'm just going to pop in and say, that i wish i didn't care about lineages...

back when i first started...collecting any dragon was fun to me. i still have the same fun now, but i find myself pitching eggs back to the AP because of lineage...and i just wish i didn't care, because it makes hunting for specific eggs take up a lot of my time.

with that said, i'll take in any hatchling but for eggs, it's cb or interesting lineage or it's not on my scroll...

i'm just going to blame the forums for this, just because before i joined, lineage didn't matter to me. but teleport and the wanting to trade...has pushed me into thinking twice about the dragon's lineage. and it irks me...personally. D:

edit: i sound like i hate lineages, but that isn't the case. a lot are beautiful. i just don't like spending hours hunting because my urge to have pretty things won't let me take anything messy. xd.png

-----

edit2: i made myself not care about lineages now...and hunting/breeding is less stressful for me. made the game more enjoyable...imo. lol

I have this same feeling >.> I'm sorry, 13571234562349 eggs I abandoned (hold on, make that 13571234562350) because of lineage ._.

I now spend more time looking for lineages than rares tongue.gif and my friend keeps taunting me and nagging me that she has more 'rarez' on her scroll X3

Still, lineages are awesome. When I see a good one that I've caught, I'm almost as happy as if I had snagged a rare egg. Also, lineages are easier to get than rares, because of all the 'OMG OMG GIMME RAREZ IDGAF ABOUT LINEAGES 8D 8D 8D' sort of people, which means...lemme go click on a few dorsals or greens or something and get dose epic lineages and then breed'em with rare dragons :3 to make rare lineaged dragons so I can take ovar teh wurldz... >:3

Edited by beacker1160

Fuzz where you find such like minded individuals? I can't seem to find them in the forum

I find that I mainly only trade for even-gens. CBs are fine and all, but I scramble to catch beautiful 8th or 9th gens whenever I can. They provide wonderful benchmarks for me to hit, as I hope to find/create mates for them in order to continue their lineages.

I don't particularly mind spirals and most stair patterns, mind you, but finding the proper mate for those that require CB rares... well, let's just say that I'm not swimming in rare dragons, so they're generally not as appealing to me.

Edited by KuraiKitty

I joined DC recently and didn't care at all about lineages. I wanted to collect dragons and have some of every breed. However, when I joined the forums I realized that it would be hard to get rare eggs since people will only trade them for nice lineages. Many of my rare dragons were given to me by a family member when I first started who also didn't care about lineages. Therefore, many of my dragons have messy lineages that no one will want. It puts me at a huge disadvantage and makes it hard for me to get rare/uncommon eggs. Catching them in the cave is near impossible for me since my internet connection is so slow. It's sad to know that my dragons' eggs are worthless because they're not a stairstep/spiral/even gen dragon. If someone offers me a rare, I'd be so overjoyed that I'd take it no matter what kind of lineage it was. Even if it was inbred a million times.

I do like looking at pretty lineages, though. Some of them are beautiful and take a lot of time. I just wish that people weren't so uptight about all of their dragons being from perfect lineages.

I joined DC recently and didn't care at all about lineages. I wanted to collect dragons and have some of every breed. However, when I joined the forums I realized that it would be hard to get rare eggs since people will only trade them for nice lineages. Many of my rare dragons were given to me by a family member when I first started who also didn't care about lineages. Therefore, many of my dragons have messy lineages that no one will want. It puts me at a huge disadvantage and makes it hard for me to get rare/uncommon eggs. Catching them in the cave is near impossible for me since my internet connection is so slow. It's sad to know that my dragons' eggs are worthless because they're not a stairstep/spiral/even gen dragon. If someone offers me a rare, I'd be so overjoyed that I'd take it no matter what kind of lineage it was. Even if it was inbred a million times.

I do like looking at pretty lineages, though. Some of them are beautiful and take a lot of time. I just wish that people weren't so uptight about all of their dragons being from perfect lineages.

I get what your feeling, But if you really want a rare what I suggest it that you try and find some nice person to breed you a gold.

There's the newbie gifting thread -- I'm sure you can find what you want there. Also, there are a lot of kind gifters who will help out with the pleas of newbies. I am trying to be one of those people, but I don't have many dragons that I don't abandon, or raise for myself.

edit; I like nice lineages, and CB silver x CB tsunami is a lovely mix. <3

Edited by Ashes The Second

My scroll goal is to describe every dragon I have, and I am reluctant to make my undescribed pile even larger by breeding. I love nice lineages, though--- the longer the better. Inbred EGs are especially eye-catching. When I trade, though, I usually go for the shortest gen so they're easy to continue (I AP every nice thing I breed). I did once spend about three months on a 3rd gen Thunder arrow with a Grey center with every dragon being mine accept one CB pair. I was so proud of it when I was done. I do go to the AP sometimes to see if I can find any awesome lineages just to stare at and wonder how long they took to make.

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

When I first joined, I thought the concept was just to get every dragon possible. I /never/ looked at lineages. Never went to the habitats, i thought, why habitats when there is a better chance you'll find something better in the AP? I didnt know they were cave born, so..

I always got soo pissed off whenever an uncommon slipped beneath my fingers, back then I didnt really care about the lineage, just the rarity.

Then I came to the forums, because, come on, common sense, there's a trading thread.

I looked through a lot of posts, and the majority wanted "nicely lineaged eggs" or caveborns. I lost a dino and a chicken because my vampire was 2nd gen, and not CB.

Then I learned about lineages... I became a freak about them. I would always go to the AP, get an egg, then quickly look at lineage. IF its bad, abandon. If it is a breed of dragon i dont have, its an automatic keep. Otherwise... no.

I like lineages because they are a challenge to get, the stairsteps, checkers,.. wow. its hard.

I dont like them because most people will not take a 5th gen PB hatchie if they are asking for a 4th gen, just. I understand it is for breeding projects.. but.. I dont know.

Theres my 2 cents worth, I might have more that slipped my mind.

I definitely don't get CB Vamps or Neglected. I understand wanting CB for breeding and lineages, but when they can't be bred it seems pretentious.

I blame the forums, lol.

When I started on DC, I thought the goal was getting them all. Then I met the trading threads, and had to start to collect CB, especially rares, to get something I wanted.

The only lineages I look from time to time are the commons/uncommons, if its messy I'll consider, unless I see that the cave isn't blocked, then I abandon it. If it has a low lineage I'll most likely keep it, or if it has a pattern on it, then I'll try to continue it.

Frankly trading can be a bit frustrating even if you *do* like lineages and make the effort to breed nice ones. Case in point, I had these three metallics up for trade recently and got barely a nibble. The Silver's lineage is a bit unusual but I've made the best I can of it. The offers I did get were either absurd (three random cave-blocker *eggs* for the Silver, for example) or not really what I was looking for (and I wasn't asking the Earth, either). I've ended up keeping them because I can always use more shiny on my scroll even if others can't, but it is rather depressing.

ETA: I didn't even bother putting this guy up for trade because I *knew* I'd be unlikely to get any decent offers, and that's kind of a sad thing. Did Silvers suddenly become so common that no one wants them again?

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I understand the hype behind lineages so I do keep it in mind for things I collect just for the purpose of breeding traders.

But with the Gold metallic hoard I don't care in the slightest. Most of them have lineages up to mount everest and just as must inbreeding but a Gold is a Gold and I wont turn down any trade.

Lineages are nice to get from a random egg you find in the AP. Actually breeding your own lineage is painful. I don't mind having messy lineaged dragons because they're still dragons. But some of the lineages I've picked up from the AP or traded for are so pretty.

Personally I don't like how some people go OMIGAWD I WANT DAT CAUSE ITS COOL LINEAGE LOOKS AWESOMEZ and I'll be like, so you're going to die to just get that thing ._.

I do lineages if I want to but then again all my crazy lineaged and good lineaged dragons are too messed up and all over the scroll to be useful for meh to try anything. I can only build on other lineages tongue.gif If I could.

I have a love/hate relationship with lineages. Sometimes I'll find some good ones in the AP and even though I have some inbreds on my scroll, I'm very picky about them. If it's a messy lineage with no inbreds I'll take it while some I'll just toss because they're inbred. ._.

I like lineages, they hold a lot of appeal for me in a dragon (I sound like I'm on a dating website).

For example, I like to go browsing through the AP for fun, picking up random commons I would never normally pick up just to see if they have interesting, funny, or pretty lineages. If they do, I will probably keep them. Lineages are fun. I used to not care about them - most of my first dragons are horribly messy and inbred.

I care about lineages enough to really take them into consideration when trading. I accept offers based on their lineage, generation, parents, etc.

Until recently I only accepted CB Pillows or non-inbred Pillows with nice lineages - stairstep, even gen, 2nd gen, and usually all PB - into my army, but recently I've stopped caring. Pillows are suddenly getting harder to obtain so I accept any and all Pillows that I can grab and allow them as part of my hoard, regardless of lineage. But when I'm trading I generally ask for nice lineages.

So no, I wouldn't say I hate lineages...

I'm p0icky about lineages now -- I'll take CB Spits, but anything else and it's just like, 'lineage, oh, nah, thanks anyway.' I am such a freak about them. :c

Frankly trading can be a bit frustrating even if you *do* like lineages and make the effort to breed nice ones. Case in point, I had these three metallics up for trade recently and got barely a nibble. The Silver's lineage is a bit unusual but I've made the best I can of it. The offers I did get were either absurd (three random cave-blocker *eggs* for the Silver, for example) or not really what I was looking for (and I wasn't asking the Earth, either). I've ended up keeping them because I can always use more shiny on my scroll even if others can't, but it is rather depressing.

ETA: I didn't even bother putting this guy up for trade because I *knew* I'd be unlikely to get any decent offers, and that's kind of a sad thing. Did Silvers suddenly become so common that no one wants them again?

I would have loved any of those but I probably couldn't get what you were looking for. Right now I rarely do any trades because the only thing I'm missing are CB metallics, which I don't see me getting any time soon. Anything else I'm looking for is either an absurdly rare lineage I won't be getting or something so common people wouldn't have it on hand. I don't hunt the cave anymore mostly to lack of time, so getting stuff from the cave I need is pretty impossible unless I want to breed a metal for just one dino.

I don't know what you were asking for, but I find myself in a similar situation. I can breed second and third gens, PB from several dragons, and I usually don't ask for something outrageous. Normally I ask for eggs you could breed yourself with not much difficulty, and yet, as of late I rarely see any offer made on the few eggs I try to trade.

I think the problem with your eggs is that, well, the first one is really nice, but the others are a bit "messy". Let me explain, with the tinsel fever, loads of people bred even gen tinsels, and the larger those lineages grew, the messier they got, with no planning and no real direction. You could see a PB 5th gen white bred to a checkerboard pink/terrae, bred to a "toss all the dragons in there" even, fifth gen, and you had some strange mess of dragons, with the difference that it was not the typical uneven gen we have grown used to.

At first, this lineages were appealing and looked nice, like I said, we are not used to them. but by now, most people have grown tired of them because, well, they are messy after all.

So I think your problem might be in part that. People who can catch and breed their own metallics, even catch goodies to trade for nice PB or checkerboards or whatever, might not be willing to trade for an even gen with no clear direction. They have the "money", so they can be picky.

And those who might be interested might not be able to afford them.

As for the value of an egg, that is totally subjective. In my opinion, I think well worked lineages should be worth much more because they involve months of work, planning and hunting for the eggs.

But then again, a 6th, even gen, 2 breed checkerboard, evengen arrow, etc, will not get much from the market as people want mostly CB (much work involved hunting them, I know), second gens, and certain low gens from certain ancestors like Midas and Thuwed.

Hope I don't offend anyone. This is just an opinion.

I think one of the reasons that people *can* be so picky, when it comes to lineages, is that they also need things that would be easy-ish to continue. Now, I LOVE Frills, but I don't have any CBs. I have a really messy one, and a pretty 2nd gen from Val '09 (I was one of those goofies, that didn't collect CB Frills when they could have,) so if I was offered any lineages that had Frills, I wouldn't be able to do justice with them and so, I would have to decline anything that needed a CB Frill (or spriter's Alt or Holly or...?)

An example. Last night, while I was cruising through the AP, I clicked on a random Mint...and it was a GORGEOUS Sweetling x Mint checker. I only have one CB Sweetling and it's a permanent mate to one of my CB Silvers. As much as I adored that Mint, I knew that I wouldn't be able to carry it on, so I put it back. I didn't want to have it to just look at, once in awhile.

I have been offered some amazing lineages on some of my trades, but they have needed things that I know I won't be able to use to continue them sad.gif That's why I mainly ask for CBs now.

I appreciate those who do make such beautiful lineages though. I know that they take a lot of time and effort to make.

I like to see a nice lineage and can appreciate the work that goes into it.

I do not have the patience to do it myself. I would like to , but I just can't put the work in for too long.

Only when that ONE egg you need will just not be born. Otherwise, what can I say? I'm a lineage nut. I love seeing what other folks are doing with their dragons and what sort of interesting combinations they are creating that I never thought of before. And I enjoy finding the odd egg on the AP that sparks yet another idea for me that I really shouldn't follow up on. It's just another outlet for creativity, I suppose.

I admit, i look at the lineages more often than not. Like most other people, there are dragons of which i don't care about the lineage. Sometimes i do look for specific lineages, i just can't help the feeling of wanting to see something pretty. But i take pride in what long lineaged, horribly inbred dragons i own. The only reasons i have those inbreds are because i didn't care about lineages at the time. I can't say i hate lineages, but i do dislike it when people only want a specific lineage. By specific, i don't mean a group like EG or PB or famous lineaged. Those aren't too hard to manage, if you have the dragons built up for it. They demand a lot for special lineages, and like a lot of other people, i don't see the point. Expect the normal, rather than the abnormal.

Lately i've been having to trade CB rares to get the lineage i want. Usually, it's not completely what i want, but if you're too specific you have to trade a lot for it. Trading for extremely specific lineages was easy for me in the past, but these days when there isn't much of what i want left, i can't be as specific as to say 'I want so and so lineaged dragon with alt sweetling closely related to it and it has to be so and so breed with so and so as parents'. It's not i want to be able to continue the beautiful lineages i manage to get my (rather greedy) hands on, it's the types i mainly look for are too hard to find. I was lucky to trade for this silver and i don't see another one in the near future. Not to forget this other silver i've been looking for... for how long now? I honestly don't see why i bother trading for certain lineages anymore. I've got better chances of getting really messy dragons than the certain dragons i look for, and even if i do find someone trading one, i usually don't have what they want.

Like these two dragons. Messy, but better than nothing, after all. There really isn't a use in looking for certain lineages anymore, as i've said before. I'm happy with what i've got, and it's not like i'll die if i don't have dragons of certain lineages.

Long-ish post short, a good portion of my dragons have messy lineages and i don't put them to more or less worth than those with clean lineages. I have to trade things that i don't think are worth them a lot now, and i just hope one day things will be the way they were. One day everyone will want 2nd gens only and we'll wait as we wonder why it ever happened.

I would have loved any of those but I probably couldn't get what you were looking for. Right now I rarely do any trades because the only thing I'm missing are CB metallics, which I don't see me getting any time soon. Anything else I'm looking for is either an absurdly rare lineage I won't be getting or something so common people wouldn't have it on hand. I don't hunt the cave anymore mostly to lack of time, so getting stuff from the cave I need is pretty impossible unless I want to breed a metal for just one dino.

Istr that, along with my eternal hunt for the 2nd gens detailed in my sig (which I realise are a long shot), I was asking for CB hatchies from my wish-list. Which very much includes commons. :|

As for unbreedables, I only ever catch them by accident - unless you get lucky and find that one person who's hoarding Dinos or Papers, you're just going to be stuck trying to get any offers at all for 2 or 3 days, until you either hatch the bugger yourself, gift it or give up and throw it to the AP.

I don't know what you were asking for, but I find myself in a similar situation. I can breed second and third gens, PB from several dragons, and I usually don't ask for something outrageous. Normally I ask for eggs you could breed yourself with not much difficulty, and yet, as of late I rarely see any offer made on the few eggs I try to trade.

I think the problem with your eggs is that, well, the first one is really nice, but the others are a bit "messy". Let me explain, with the tinsel fever, loads of people bred even gen tinsels, and the larger those lineages grew, the messier they got, with no planning and no real direction. You could see a PB 5th gen white bred to a checkerboard pink/terrae, bred to a "toss all the dragons in there" even, fifth gen, and you had some strange mess of dragons, with the difference that it was not the typical uneven gen we have grown used to.

At first, this lineages were appealing and looked nice, like I said, we are not used to them. but by now, most people have grown tired of them because, well, they are messy after all.

So I think your problem might be in part that. People who can catch and breed their own metallics, even catch goodies to trade for nice PB or checkerboards or whatever, might not be willing to trade for an even gen with no clear direction. They have the "money", so they can be picky.

And those who might be interested might not be able to afford them.

As for the value of an egg, that is totally subjective. In my opinion, I think well worked lineages should be worth much more because they involve months of work, planning and hunting for the eggs.

But then again, a 6th, even gen, 2 breed checkerboard, evengen arrow, etc, will not get much from the market as people want mostly CB (much work involved hunting them, I know), second gens, and certain low gens from certain ancestors like Midas and Thuwed.

Hope I don't offend anyone. This is just an opinion.

I'm on an endless quest for the 2nd gens detailed in my sig, but failing that I was after CB hatchies from my wishlist. Not "any random CB hatchies", not "2nd gen GW/Blusang eggs", not "random bunch of lineaged BSA hatchies", not "random CB blocker eggs". Something from my wishlist. Which definitely includes common breeds.

Also, while I definitely agree that the Silvers don't have the tidiest lineages, I'm not quite sure what the problem with the 4th gen Gold is. :| I know exactly what you mean about the Tinsel rush though, and I think that did a lot to damage public opinion of even-gens and spawn the stair/spiral craze, because which is easier to continue? I find stairs and spirals to be utterly boring, but I can't deny how popular they are and so I sometimes breed them to trade, but I don't have to like it...

I think one of the reasons that people *can* be so picky, when it comes to lineages, is that they also need things that would be easy-ish to continue.  Now, I LOVE Frills, but I don't have any CBs.  I have a really messy one, and a pretty 2nd gen from Val '09 (I was one of those goofies, that didn't collect CB Frills when they could have,) so if I was offered any lineages that had Frills, I wouldn't be able to do justice with them and so, I would have to decline anything that needed a CB Frill (or spriter's Alt or Holly or...?) 

An example.  Last night, while I was cruising through the AP, I clicked on a random Mint...and it was a GORGEOUS Sweetling x Mint checker.  I only have one CB Sweetling and it's a permanent mate to one of my CB Silvers.  As much as I adored that Mint, I knew that I wouldn't be able to carry it on, so I put it back.  I didn't want to have it to just look at, once in awhile.

I have been offered some amazing lineages on some of my trades, but they have needed things that I know I won't be able to use to continue them sad.gif  That's why I mainly ask for CBs now.

I appreciate those who do make such beautiful lineages though.  I know that they take a lot of time and effort to make.

I think this is actually the problem. And I like even-gens, which are the "wrong" kind of lineage these days - they're much more effort to continue nicely than stairs or spirals (which I frankly find incredibly dull) because the owner has to find or breed a matching mate of the same generation, whereas for a stair they only need a CB of the right breed.

Edited by Amazon_warrior