nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

I used to not care about lineages, but now I find them something fun to work on when I'm bored or can't find anything in the cave. They're fun little projects that are another goal to work towards in the game. :3

I hate it when people are like BLAH BLAH NOT THIS TYPE OF LINEAGE BLAH BLAH I"M NOT TRADING WITH THAT LINEAGE!I just wanna say sometimes.. PEOPLE, We don't care about lineages just give me the egg and lets trade!

I hate it when people are like BLAH BLAH NOT THIS TYPE OF LINEAGE BLAH BLAH I"M NOT TRADING WITH THAT LINEAGE!I just wanna say sometimes.. PEOPLE, We don't care about lineages just give me the egg and lets trade!

Perhaps a lineage-less trade thread could be made? No one mentions lineages, they just post breed and stage and go. There's lots of trade threads about specific lineage types, so I imagine no one would object--and then you could hopefully find the trades you like without getting frustrated at us lineage-likers, haha! X'D

Edit: Made one! http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=140447

I sort of feel like by starting a thread in the trade section I have improperly trodden upon holy ground, so we'll see if it meets moderator's approval. xd.png;;

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I have no idea how many of my dragons have either a messy inbred lineage or a really good looking lineage. (Actually, I do, but I'm not going to bore you with the number. xd.png) I take in all dragons. Sure, some people may find lineages fun, and they are interesting to look at, but hey, even those of you who love lineages should be a little more accepting of the poor little inbred babies.

I like lineages because it makes me appreciate my CB dragons more!

I try really hard to get non-lineaged dragons, and if there were no lineages to begin with then I wouldn't try hard to get dragons.

Then I wouldn't even be here, would have gotten bored ages ago.

I don't hate lineages but I don't tend to make my own either. I will try to continue some lineages I catch (or that I'm gifted) in the AP and I love nice looking lineages but then I also love my messy and/or inbred lineages that I catch as well. If I catch a nice looking lineage, I do try to make sure that I don't accidentally bred it to a "messy" partner though.

I like pretty lineages, but messy lineages are fun, too! I like tracing back stuff and finding interesting stuff. I also like lineages because I love trying to continuing the original idea. However, I also love XY dragon fails. They are so entertaining.

The one thing I love seeing is "CB" Vampires. I don't know what it is about them.

I think the reason why I don't mind messy lineages is because I hunt in the AP. You can't be picky.

Edited by Mousia

I love lineages, personally. They provide a sense of pattern and order that I can follow on my scroll, and creating them gives me something to do even when I'm buried up to my eyeballs in term papers. It gives me a reason to come back, and gives me something to be proud of.

That sounds odd, I know.

However, if you don't give me a reason to come back and keep playing, I won't. If there's nothing new to do, why play? I've accomplished the task you set before me, I've won, I'm done; that kind of mentality doesn't bode well with a simple collectible website.

Being able to breed, though, and see the results of my work gives me another task; create the most beautiful patterns I can with limited breeding stock. If I don't have enough stock to begin my intended pattern, well, it's time to go collecting again. smile.gif

Edited by KuraiKitty

I didn't care about lineages for a long time. It was the Even Gen that got me, perfectly symmetrical lineages are just so pleasing to my eye. But mostly I just make my own lineages from CB dragons I've stolen, so when I ask for a certain lineage in a trade it is for a project. I do trades asking for eggs that are just non-inbred eggs, or inbred ones for freezing.

If it isn't a project, then I don't really care about anything but inbreeding. I usually only trade for inbreds if I want them for freezing. I keep most inbreds I catch in the AP, I just don't ever breed them. I put them at the bottom of my scroll to make sure I don't try and breed the inbreds. People sometimes kill inbred eggs, so I care more about what other people think of inbreds rather than having a bad opinion of them. I don't want to breed eggs someone might kill.

But it sounds like the reason people don't like lineages is because of trading. It does kind of seem sometimes like some people just have tons of rares and can keep trading them to get more. I get very discouraged. But it is possible to trade commons or even messy or inbred egg for nicer eggs, one just has to scour the trading threads looking for a chance. There are also gifting threads that help the less fortunate to get some of the eggs they can't trade for. Plus, everyone has a chance to steal eggs from the Caves or catch them in the AP.

It is tough to trade for a rare egg when one doesn't have many desirable dragons to start with.. Pretty lineages can make eggs more valuable, but do take some work. Catching rares takes a lot of luck and patience. Trading for rares takes some of all three. Rare eggs are always worth something regardless of lineage, though lineages can increase the value even more. Then there are the uncommon eggs, collecting CB highly uncommon eggs is a good way to trade for rares without having to bother with breeding and lineages. Raising CB uncommons to hatchlings is another way to get lucky and find a rare egg to trade them for.

I love lineages, personally. They provide a sense of pattern and order that I can follow on my scroll, and creating them gives me something to do even when I'm buried up to my eyeballs in term papers. It gives me a reason to come back, and gives me something to be proud of.

That sounds odd, I know.

However, if you don't give me a reason to come back and keep playing, I won't. If there's nothing new to do, why play? I've accomplished the task you set before me, I've won, I'm done; that kind of mentality doesn't bode well with a simple collectible website.

Being able to breed, though, and see the results of my work gives me another task; create the most beautiful patterns I can with limited breeding stock. If I don't have enough stock to begin my intended pattern, well, it's time to go collecting again. smile.gif

I guess that everyone has a reason they keep coming back. I think some people want to ":win" the game by getting a certain number of each dragon. Many people come back to work on lineages. Personally, I describe all my dragons and continue to play the game by expanding my own little community of individual dragons, with families. I do like to make pretty lineages, and I do trade for rarer combinations of eggs. The combination between a pretty lineage and an interesting little story is why I keep playing the game.

It's a personal taste thing, I guess. hehe

Me, for my part, I like lineages smile.gif Some are really hard work and therefor they deserve to be more valuable than just random breedings. ^^" Plus they are lovely to look at.

When I started playing dc in 2008, I didn't care much about them. Especially when it came to rares. haha But when you were able to look at the lineage so directly, I changed my mind...

So yeah, I have to admit.. apart from pretty lineages (eg, stair or any symetrical pattern) and CB dragons, I only accept messy/random lineaged Balloons (as I collect them xd.png)

Here's what I don't get, why are higher gens not as valuable as lower gens? if its build ability why take the time if the next egg is just going to be more worthless than the parent? though I remove second gens from this as they are typically less valuble than the parent.

For a long time, I took no interest at all in lineages. During my first few months of being on DC, it didn't matter to me whether my silver tinsel was inbred over 100 times as long as I had a tinsel. Tinsels still apparently meant enough that snatching even an inbred one from the AP was hard. Now, I can't even trade 4th gen tinsels very easily. Through a buttload of trading, I managed to acquire multiple 3rd gen tinsels, but 3rd gen is ALL people want. After finally getting nearly everything I wanted (CB metals of each type/gender, low-gen Tinsel, 2 NDs, over 100 Ice dragons) I figured lineages were about all I could do to keep from getting bored and quitting.

What they REALLY need to remove is tombstones cutting off ("pruning") the rest of the lineage. It encourages people to kill their dragons to make the lineages look prettier, even if there are two tombstones. Apparently showing people that you kill your dragons is better than having one inbred dragon. I have a Bronze Tinsel on my scroll with BOTH her parents killed and I have no idea which line she even came from. It would be nice if they would show the ENTIRE lineage and just keep the dead ones in as tombstones. sad.gif

Tinsel with dead parents. I'd rather see her long, inbred lineage than see her dead parents. I got her before the person who killed her parents did so, so I know her lineage was quite bad. I didn't bother checking where she came from, but after I discovered her dead parents, it now irritated me that I would never know which line she came from.

Edited by Voardrem

I'm neutral on lineages. While I get excited when I find something I think is pretty, at the same time I rarely care if I get a chaotic lineage.

I don't look highly on lineages that have graves in them. To me it makes a lineage ugly, but I can understand why some people would prefer not to see some ugly branches.

I like lineages, but I know that anyone who wants to do some trading is forced to collect CBs and breed their dragons a certain way. This is why I hold the widely unpopular opinion that who ever breeds the egg should be able to choose if it has lineage, with Holidays and Tinsels as possible exceptions. They would still be listed as bred and not stolen on their view page.

I love pretty lineages! And I'm going to be honest: There isn't a dragon on my scroll who's lineage I haven't looked at at least once. That's just the way I work.

I'm trying to catch a CB pair of every non-rare dragon. I don't hate lineages, but some of the ones I stumble across in the AP are just so messy.

Although the first Flamingo egg I caught had two interestingly named parents that gave me the idea for my first breeding project.

Lineages are art, even though many users ignore 'em. They are pretty, indeed, but they are kinda... not my taste.

Like others lineages didn't matter to me when I first joined. But they became a way to remain interested in the game. I love creating lineages and in fact I am now a lineage snob. The only messy lineaged dragons I still breed are my Golds and Silvers because people are less likely to care what their lineage page looks like. The fun of the game for me is breeding and creating lineages that look nice. The one I'm most proud of is my 7th gen Doctor Who dragon. Every dragon in the lineage is on my scroll and I am in the process of breeding a mate. I very much doubt I would still be playing if it wasn't for lineage building.

The fun of the game for me is breeding and creating lineages that look nice.

^^^^The main reason I play dragon cave.

Lineages are necessary, at least 2 gen. lineages. to even obtain some dragons. There are breeds that don't come in CB, lol, so this is kinda of where it started for me. I later got more into lineages because it was the only way to collect Spriter Alts, for example. I can't have a Spriter Alt in CB, but I can use them in lineages. Like others who posted, I simply found some nice lineaged eggs on the AP, and they were so cool looking that I decided to breed a few lines. They are just for me, I rarely trade them, but I really like them. When you are waiting for months between releases, you need something to do besides twiddle your thumbs, so lineage projects are a way to keep the fires stoked. I understand your frustration at not having tradeable dragons, but what is in vogue comes and goes, so just keep hunting around for what works.

I don't care as long it is breedable.

And not something that looks like a computer threw up.

I try to continue lineages.

Lineages are a contradiction, they take such hard work to build, but in the trades everyone only wants the lowest gens!

Lineages are a contradiction, they take such hard work to build, but in the trades everyone only wants the lowest gens!

Not true actually. I had DELIGHTED traders for my 8th gens smile.gif

Fuzz where you find such like minded individuals? I can't seem to find them in the forum

Fuzz where you find such like minded individuals? I can't seem to find them in the forum

Well me for one. I love the bigger lineages if they are well done. I've got some lovely gifts/trades I wouldn't have if not for the hard work of others.