nambs

Anyone else hate lineages?

Well, I have my share of dragons with messy lineages, and they'll always have a home on my scroll. For the longest time now I only snag CB eggs, or AP eggs with much nicer lineages, because I just like the way a nice lineage looks. I check every AP egg I snag for it's lineage, and I try to only breed really nice lineages, or 2nd gens myself. I look at it this way, if you know that nicer lineages will give you more trading power or whatever, and messy one's simply won't, it might be time to rethink your stand if what you're doing isn't working, and work on some really nice offspring and lineages as a project. smile.gif

I managed to trade a pretty even gen striped (I think it was the striped) for a messy lineaged gold, and I couldn't have been happier. Sure, the lineage might not be anything spectacular, but he's my first gold and I like him all the same. smile.gif

Edited by DragonNighthowler

I managed to trade a pretty even gen striped (I think it was the striped) for a messy lineaged gold, and I couldn't have been happier. Sure, the lineage might not be anything spectacular, but he's my first gold and I like him all the same. smile.gif

I'm the same way with rares, now those I could care less how messy it is, but when you can't even trade a nice even gen for a messy lineaged gold, it gets frustrating. >.>

I guess some people just get lucky with trades.

I quit this game a few years ago because it got very boring fairly quickly. When I decided to come back, I discovered a lineage viewer had been added, and because of that I haven't been bored since. I look at my lineages often because they're pretty and I like to see them. I also love going into the lineage thread and seeing other people's lineages. I don't understand how they put people at a disadvantage. Because of lineages, people can take "worthless" cave blockers and build something tradeable with them, whereas before the only desirable thing was rares. It takes work and patience, sure, but it beats just having to sit hoping to snag a rare before being able to claim you've got something desirable on your scroll. Even a Balloon can be transformed into something tradeable with a bit of lineage planning, and that's saying something! xd.png

Edited by Goslander

I understand the frustration when it comes to trading, but really, it wasn't any easier to get rares back in the day as I recall. Lineages definitely aren't for everyone, but I'm muuuuuch more likely to actually stay active now that I have some ideas for lineage projects to work on (and the IRC, which is just fun).

Returning to the game for the first time in a few years, I was initially very confused by lineages and had no idea what they were or why they existed. After looking into it a bit, getting read up on the terms and whatnot, I'm beginning to understand the appeal.

Of course, I'm still really intimidated by them and have no idea how I'd go about building a nice one of my own, but I don't hate them. I think they give a nice alternative goal to a lot of players who look for more in a game than the aspect of collection.

It reminds me a little bit of Pokemon. There are plenty of different ways to catch and raise Pokemon. Some people breed them and attempt to get Pokemon with higher-number generated stats, or special natures, or train them in special ways to max out their stats. Other people try to catch them all and complete their Pokedex by training and trading. Some people play casually and only catch the Pokemon they are interested in raising or want to use for battle and don't worry too much about stats or completing the Pokedex.

New players are perhaps intimidated by lineages or simply have no interest in them, but that doesn't mean they might not like them further down the road. I think they add an interesting level of depth to an otherwise pretty simple game. I admire those that put hard work into them to perfect them, and enjoy doing so.

I like lineages. I do participate and make a few of my own, but if you really want to trade for rares, all you have to really do is catch and hatch some eggs, most people will take a few CB hatchies for a rarer egg.

Certain lineages are more valuable, let's face it, it takes a lot of time and effort into making them, so that is the appeal to me. When someone puts some thought into a lineage and does the work, it can be very attractive to traders.

I have my share of messy ones, inbred ones, etc. But I look at lineages all the time. It

keeps the game fun.

I for one am one of those who didn't care at all about lineages a few years back, I was just happy with every dragon I was gifted or caught myself. I think that I was that way mostly because I didn't understand the lineages and generations back then.

These days I do understand and I know what inbred dragons are, therefor I've started to care a bit. Surely I still catch my share of messy and inbred dragons from the AP, but I don't keep breeding them when they're on my scroll, they're there because I like the breed or because I was bored and wanted more dragons to name.

I love to create pretty lineages with my dragons, that's one of the reasons I'm still here (after all, I've only two dragons that I don't have on my scroll yet, therefor it's not all too much I can do other than create pretty lineages and gift eggs to others). Sometimes I think long lineages that maybe someone would count as messy looks really pretty and sometimes I like short lineages even more. But lineages still doesn't matter all too much for me, I'm only after low gens or CBs when I need something for one of my lineages.

When it comes to tardes and such, I kind of see where you're getting at. It's quite a shame that it is like that... I don't tarde all too often, I mostly gift my eggs and don't ask for anything in return. However, I've my periods that I tarde a lot during. And as I recall it, I've never turned down an offer that someone has offered me or offers that I have given others. I wouldn't even think the thought of turning down someones offer just because of its lineage, it's still one of the dragon I'm looking for.

if i grabbed it from the AP i just check to see if tis inbred or not

I don't put a whole lot of thought into lineage, but I do give them some merit. I check eggs caught in the AP for inbreeding, and sometimes if a common dragon from the AP has a really messy lineage I'll chuck it back. However, if I get a dragon from someone either in a gift/trade and it has a pretty lineage in it, then I enjoy trying to continue the breeding trend in their lineage. I like to continue what I see some people have started--plus, it gives me a more valuable egg for trading or gifting myself.

I also love CB dragons. I don't normally breed any of my dragons except the CB ones. I make an exception for rares, though.

I blame the forums too tongue.gif

I do not hate them, but I do rather CB.

I do have some special lineage ones that were bred for me that I cherish and

enjoy finding mates for.

when I joined in 09 I grabbed every gold and silver I could find in the AP

and I lucked out twice and got me one gold and one silver CB

then it went dry, I couldn't catch any bred and never even seen CB. Then in Aug last year I got 2 CB silvers which I traded away one for a neglected(my very first ever) and one for a 3rd gen tinsel and think it was a 5th gen tinsel (got 2 tinsels for one) And now I am sick of tinsels because I can't even trade off my 5th-7th gen perfect stair steps (so wish I had that CB back) and now I can make sickly myself (love my neglected to pieces so still happy with this one) But at the time I was thrilled to have gotten tinsels, especially since one took almost 6 months to get! But I see soon I won't be able to trade even that 4th gen one I'll be able to make sad.gif

My old golds/silvers are ugly lines. Not inbred. But not pretty. No one wants them so I don't even breed them anymore(not like I'd get anything out of them anyway probably tongue.gif ) . And as of late I can't even get rid of my 2nd gen silver because the only thing I would like right now is a 2nd gen tinsel and NO tinsel breeder will ever give that away for a bred silver unsure.gif

I used to not care, but now I am stuck in the crowd mentality of nice lines I need nice lines. Maybe I should stop looking at lineage and stop trading. But I'd be lonely as I am a hermit so to speak, I do not leave home unless I must so DC is my connection, just a bit, to the outside world. I have a total of 11 golds and 13 silvers (one inbred so never breed it), I'd like to get them up to 20 like all my others, but just don't see that happening since I have nothing worth giving for them dry.gif

Maybe I should just breed them and keep the eggs myself, but then I feel like I am hoarding, for some reason I do not like keeping eggs I breed. I rather get others for me to keep. Don't ask I have no idea why LOL

Oh goodness, novel here. Sorry unsure.gif

Merewen,

I don't normally keep the ones I breed either, of the metals anyhow. I would rather get others, non-related to mine these days or use them to complete some scroll wishes.

But you could join our Breeding/Gifting thread, some new people could care a less about how long the lineage is, as they don't even have one.

I have a new little project, where I am breeding mates to match some of my dragons, and if I grab something cool in the AP, I try to breed the exact same lineage for a mate. Keeps the game fun. wink.gif

Ok - dumb question - what exactly are "lineages", aside from commonly named ones from certain users a la "Dorkface" & "Thewed"(sp)?

I recognize Dorkface from being a name that dropped a lot of eggs in the early DC days; but otherwise, this "lineage" thing I'm not understanding - the attraction nor how you determine it. I simply tried to breed my dragons successfully, and it worked or not.

(Note: I took a yearish hiatus in late 2010, and don't recall the lineage craze back then other than a few names that were prolific breeders & AC droppers).

Cuz since I've not paid attention to my breeding other than X + Y = success more often than not, I guess I'd be considered messy.

I know a lot of people spend a lot of time making these really nice lineages, and I seriously just do not freaking understand it.

I mean, let's say you have a black egg. It's damn near impossible to find black eggs any more, I personally am happy to have one no matter where it came from. But whether it's caveborn or has such and such lineage directly affects how tradeable it is. Which puts people like me, who don't want any armies on their scroll, who don't want to spend months making the perfect lineage, at a distinct disadvantage.

In reality? How often do you look at your dragon's lineages? Be honest here.

I know a lot of people like knowing they have a special dragon because of its lineage, the same way people feel special because they have a pedigreed dog. But ugh. It just annoys the ever living CRAP out of me. I mean, all the dragons that I collected before this lineage thing became a fad, are now worth nothing, and their eggs are completely worthless to me for trading.

I know complaining won't change anything, but it makes me feel better.

I'm with the others who don't see how you can possibly be at a disadvantage. If you don't care about the lineage, and just want the sprite, you can probably get anything you want (short of Hollies and ND) in an afternoon sitting in the IRC. Granted, you'll have to be polite, friendly and appreciative, but there are TONS of people who will breed just for the warm fuzzies. Many of us have metallics that haven't been bred in ages because they're messy or inbred. If you're happy with their offspring, I'd be happy to try breeding them for you.

Like most, I didn't think about lineages when I started (no tool to make it easy). My first two eggs were inbred vines and as empty as the AP was I was happy to have them! I don't breed them any more, but I wouldn't consider releasing them. They were first and they have sentimental value even if they don't have trade value. My first alt black was an accidental inbred. She and several others still sit safely on my scroll, too.

Now, however.... I am a lineage snob. If I don't have a project for something, odds are I don't want to spend the time hatching it. I grabbed two frills, but never grabbed more because I didn't have a project for them. Too late now. Ditto the bright pinks. Don't have water walkers or adult balloons, either. No project, no egg slot for you! For me the projects are now where most of the fun is. They're like puzzles. Saduko with dragons.

Is it a waste of time? Depends on how much you value your entertainment. My brother would rather rebuild a carburetor. To each their own.

For me, I look at lineages all the time. I love AP finds that inspire me. I will keep eggs I have no use for just because the lineage fun/cool/pretty/hysterical.

It's all about what makes the game interesting for you. Most of us suffer moments of frustration trying to get what we want, it's part of what makes finally getting it rewarding.

Love the misfits shown earlier! My current project is not funny, but only 6 breedings away from a perfect 7 gen: http://dragcave.net/lineage/viNjc

And if you look at Adam Adores, he's from 2010. So... close to two years to complete the project. Two years. Some things just take time.

I really like lineages! smile.gif Though when I first joined the site, I didn't like them. But I didn't really understand them either. Now that I've been around longer, my aims and goals of what I want to achieve on the site have expanded. First, all I wanted was one of each dragon. But now that's turned into one of each CB dragon, then one CB of each gender, then three pairs of each CB dragon. Since they're harder to get, it's more of a challenge for me, so I enjoy it more. smile.gif

I also have a few lineages in mind that I'd like to create in the future. Once I've reached my CB goal I'd like to get started on those. So yeah, the longer I've been around, the more I've started to appreciate lineages. It's just another aspect of the game that you can have fun with, in my opinion. It adds to the challenge. smile.gif

I agree with alot.png of people here. When I started, I didn't care about lineages, just having the sprite. Now that I have almost all the sprites (except GoN dry.gif ), there would be nothing for me to do besides collect holidays or new releases if I didn't have lineages to work on.

I'll still take messy/inbred eggs or hatchies. If they're common or I have a large number of that breed, I'll freeze the messy/inbred hatchies. If they're rare, like my inbred metallic gold, I let them grow up or see if anyone else wants them.

I love lineages. Really. I'm crazy breeder. xd.png

When I joined DC I didn't want to have lineaged dragons at all and collected CB dragons only. Tinsels, holiday dragons and Frills forced me to change my opinion. Now I take bred eggs from limited or discontinued species - but not higher than 3 gen unless it's a tinsel egg.

I have only very few dragons with non-limited ancestors living on other scrolls: http://dragcave.net/lineage/PGamG - my first Gold, she was gifted to me, http://dragcave.net/lineage/GcH6T - accidentally got from the AP, I wanted to give him to my friend, but both my friend and I forgot about it... so he grew up on my scroll, http://dragcave.net/lineage/b8tRa - my only Dorkface, http://dragcave.net/lineage/Wtp2C - my first Silver, Christmas gift. There is also one messy lineaged tinsel on my scroll - http://dragcave.net/lineage/Vq3E5 I keep him because he is a gift as well. Other dragons are CB, 2-3 gen offsprings of limited/discontinued species, offsprings of my own lineages or nice lineaged tinsels.

I'm very picky with lineages, it's an important part of game for me.

Honestly, I don't care about lineages, but people want them, so I'm forced to get them myself. Like for example, I want this new dragon, but I can't grab one from the cave, so now I resort to trading. But people only want CBs or ones with nice, clean lines, so I have to get some myself for the sake of trading... A few years back, I only wanted a male and female pair of each type in my scroll...

I really miss the days prior to discovering what made a "good" lineage. XD Of course this wasn't as long ago for me as some of you; I'm a newbie. I can still remember clear as crystal the day I picked up an egg with the description, "This egg shakes from time to time, as if it's eager to hatch" thinking that it would hatch faster than the others. I remember joining here and looking at the trade thread and finding people requesting certain lineages. I was like, "Stairstep? o.O" I both love and hate my mentor for explaining lineages to me, haha!

But there's no sense getting angry about it, honestly. I agree that lineages serve as a sort of "currency" with which to bargain our dragons, but a dragon's worth still varies from person to person by an incredible margin. For example, I'm obsessed with tinselfails. The other day I offered a caveborn Nebula on one and the person responded to my PM with guilt, as if she felt like she was robbing me by accepting the trade. She didn't think I knew what it was worth. But I have a fast Internet connection and several Nebulas already (albeit not caveborn) so the tinselfail was worth more to me than the caveborn.

I think as long as we can still sort of set our own prices on things that the game isn't ruined by lineages. It's still a lot of fun and, to be completely honest, lineages are a beautiful aspect of DC and take a lot of work. For those of us who can't draw or sprite this is our art. I love it just as much as I hate it.

I think it's because lineages take so much time and effort to get perfect that I really appreciate them. smile.gif

As for trading, I don't trade much. I go into the threads and there's this whole page of rules and crap, and I get more frustrated with that than anything else. lol

I don't HATE lineages, though I wish they weren't as important as people have made them. I wasn't a new member for long before I realized how important lineages/generations were to people. So I had to put them at high importance as well, if I wanted to get anywhere with trading anyways.

Though I guess I don't care TOO much about the fancy stair step/even/whatever lineages, though they are nice to randomly find sometimes. I just mostly focus on getting CB's of all species. Or fairly low gens for those harder-to-find ones.

Edited by Alpha Gryph

I plan for CBs or low-gen stairsteps. Almost exclusively, in fact.

I really don't care for any other fancy lineages, but I can appreciate and collect them, if only because they're valuable.

I can't tell the difference between good lineages and bad lineages (Still a newbie here) But I generally prefer CB eggs. (Personally, I don't care about the whole lineage thing either!)

Edited by SilverX7Studios

Unless I'm looking for a specific lineage, I prefer CBs. I'm such a lineage snob, lol. I had no VDay dragoins prior to today, and I threw so many back to the AP because I didn't like the lineage, or I wouldn't be able to continue the lineage.

I like collecting and making lineages. The frustration when the dragons dont breed correctly is soooo funny in the end!

Its like an ever ending circle in lineages though. As long as one person still wants a nice lineage, others will have to breed it or trade for it to get what that person has. It wont end unless everyone stops all at once or stops wanting that specific dragon.