marhawkman

Where did your ancestors come from?

Has anyone ever heard of the Nationality Rooms in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania? I was recently visiting the city (very wonderful place, by the way) and a friend told me to stop and see the rooms. Each room is decorated by a council decided by each country. The rooms have 17th and 18th century style furniture, and are very beautiful. Several of them cost upwards of hundreds of thousands of dollars. They got me thinking about nationality, and hence, this topic was born.

I'm sorry if I missed your nationality, I could only put so many choices. I tried to spread it out evenly around the globe.

Since "nationality" usually means the country you are a citizen, I'm a unitedstatsian. People can have more than one nationality but I've never heard of someone having more than two.

Since "nationality" usually means the country you are a citizen, I'm a unitedstatsian. People can have more than one nationality but I've never heard of someone having more than two.

I didn't mean it in the literal sense. Since one of my ancestors was Hungarian and another was Irish, I would consider myself Hungarian and Irish, among other things.

That was what I meant.

American. More specifically, from Texas.

I'm Swedish and Portuguese. biggrin.gif

Edit after the merged of threads: Mum is from Sweden, dad is from Portugal. I'm born and raised in Sweden.

Edited by CatCreature

Technically English.

Italian, Irish, German, Dutch, English, Welsh, Native american. In that exact order. The native american Susquehannock tribe is technically extinct, the very very few people who have any genetic link had married and hid in white culture or other native american tribes.

I'm American, with German, Irish and Italian ancestry. :)

~Merged~

I'm a mix, mostly of a ton of European countries. I write American on census and such forms.

i am Greek and French. <3 very proud of my heritage since i'm able to speak french fluently.

From what I know: my mom is exactly 1/4 Irish, and 1/8 French. As for my dad: he is some fraction Scottish.

According to my mother, one of her parets is Scottish, the other half Irish half Scottish. Though how she got to that, I'm not too sure, considering she's fifth generation Canadian.

My dad's Norwegian. Don't know anything more detailed, so I'm assuming we were either vikings or saami at one point tongue.gif

ETA: Oh and my grandmother's maidan name means viking, so more evidance for us being descendants of them tongue.gif

Edited by coralkiki

My dad: Romanian and Greek

My mom: Romanian and Russian

and probably a lot of other stuff, but that's mostly.

American, very American. smile.gif 3rd-gen from immigrant families; overall, I'm of 1/2 Italian, 3/8 Slovak, and 1/8 Russian descent.

Gotta say, my family has the best holiday food! tongue.gif

My ancestors came via space rocket from mars.

----------------------

Scotland, England (UK In General)

Sadly, NO American blood in me D: Too bad im goimg

to spend my life in america.

...China. Just China. I don't get to be some kind of interesting mutt.

You also don't get the constant discussions about what nationality you actually are tongue.gif People don't seem to understand that it's actually possible to have a dual citizenship :3

Well, I don't know, all I know is that based on my families genetic traits, it's likely we're descended from vikings or scandinavians of some sort. Can't trace either of my lineages passed 150 years without professional help.

EDIT: now that I think about it we could also be descended from the Gauls (Celts)

Edited by Nerendier

...China. Just China. I don't get to be some kind of interesting mutt.

Surely somewhere in your bloodline there was some high-ranking official or something. I'm also an uninteresting Chinese purebred, but my dad's side escaped genocide twice (that I know of). First time it was for the last name (Wong -- not yellow-Wong, Emperor-Wong), fleeing from the the new dynasty, second time it was the Japanese during WW2.

Of course none of this saves me from the constant stream of Filipinos who come into my workplace and speak Tagalog at me thinking I'm one of them. I kind of look like it, but... :x

Edited by Lythiaren

Asked my mom more about it, and apparently mostly Iceland and England, but also Scotland. All I know is apparently I am connected to someone named "Bovard the White", or some such, and he was a viking. =U I really know nothing about my lineage.

@Lythiaren: Man you come from an interesting family. <3

Edited by Zovesta

Everyone's from China in my family.

But that kinda ended with me and my brother, both born in England.