marhawkman

Where did your ancestors come from?

Hehe, I wish I could trace my family tree back that well. wink.gif

*shrug* It's kid of the same as people whose family just didn't move at all.

From my Dad: Dutch. Pure or pretty close to pure Dutch. My cousin and I were working on tracing it back and what we've been able to find so far is all Dutch.

From my Mom: A mixture. 1/8th Irish (my great-grandma was pure Irish). Then some more Dutch along with some French and I don't know what else.

It is interesting to see how thoroughly some people know their heritage. Makes me want to go research mine some more and find out all the details.

On my dad's side, as far as I know: German, Austrian, possibly Hungarian, and some Eastern European. Both sides of his family left Germany and Austria for the U.S. because of all the crazy stuff going on in the early 20th century over there. I know the Austrian side left when they saw Hitler come to power.

On my mom's side:Filipino, Chinese Spanish, Philippine Aboriginal(possibly; see Negritos). My mom was born in the Philippines and raised in the U.S., so, if it wasn't for my aunt being born in the U.S., I would be the first American-born child on her side(between my grandparents).

My mother's side, a huge mix of Europe. French, German, Irish, and little bits of others.

My father, not too sure. I know Italian and Native American(not sure what tribe), other than that, I'm sure some western European ancestry is mixed in quite a bit.

I never really was interested enough to find out exactly who my ancestors were on my mother's side, and I wouldn't even know where to begin from on my father's side.

my mother is pure russian. as for my real father - I never met him.

Oh gosh thats a long one. My mum's has be searching our family tree for years and years, since I can remember. We (Surname Nash) originate from Scotland, but some ancestors moved to france along the way. Shes managed to accurately trace back to the 1500s, which has taken a lot of money and searching archives. She has reached a hard section as back in the day in Scotland Women passed down the surname not the man. So at some point it switches.

Also a very interesting bit;

Shakespeare granddaughter (where his line ended) married Tom Nash, his brother John Nash is in my blood line! But we cant say we are related to him directly, only by ancestors marriage not blood as his Granddaughter and Tom Nash never had any children.

so yea we got Shakespear on our family tree parchment laugh.gif

Thought it was still cool.

xd.png

Yeah, I often wonder how close the English and Norse branches of my family tree are to each other. We know the Vikings loved to bring home trophy wives. A small percentage of the population of Iceland are descended from not Eskimos or Inuit, but a tribe from the mainland of North America. So it's possible that the Vikings in my family tree acquired a few English wives.

That must really be a very small population, I've never heard of it until now. huh.gif I know there were Norwegian settlers, a few other europeans and possibly a few Inuit but I had no idea about a tribe from NA.

But hey, my knowledge of Iceland is limited.

My ancestors?

Swedish, Finnish, a few smidgets of Saami, Walloons, and West Germans. That I know of at least.

Africa, just like everybody else- if you belive the scientists. laugh.gif

Uh, anyway... My Dad's family all live in Liverpool, a city to the North of England for those who don't know; their ancestors came from Ireland within the last hundred years, an English great-something-grandfather taking home his Irish wife. They believe that one of their forefathers was actually the illigetimate son of a member of the Royal Family who was hidden away. If it's true, then a large clan of Scousers are theoritically part of our ruling family... Not forgetting me, of course.

My Mother's grandfather was a gypsy from the Cooper family, but he settled down to have his many, many children and we've been living in houses since. I think he had fourteen or something, but I could have misheard- a very large number, anyway. I have a LOT of second cousins, anyway, some of whom are gypsies and do travel around with their kids. They're nice people when I meet them, which is very rare. And my Nan was one of a stupidly large family, too, so with my Dad's six brothers I've got enough relatives to make a small army.

So... A breakdown- English, Irish, possibly Royal.

That must really be a very small population, I've never heard of it until now. huh.gif  I know there were Norwegian settlers, a few other europeans and possibly a few Inuit but I had no idea about a tribe from NA.

But hey, my knowledge of Iceland is limited.

My ancestors?

Swedish, Finnish, a few smidgets of Saami, Walloons, and West Germans. That I know of at least.

It'd been forgotten until people started doing large scale genetic studies. Then they noticed several bits of DNA that weren't seen in Scandinavians(in about 0.12% of the population). They eventually traced the Genetic markers back to at least 1700. It's not certain that it came from Native Americans but that seems most likely. We know that Erik the Red established a Norse colony in the southern part of Greenland. We also know that his son Leif sailed west to somewhere in North America(probably Newfoundland). What exactly Leif and his crew brought back with them(besides timber) is unknown, but it's possible that they brought back a few natives. We know that Leif himself traveled widely enough to have gone as far east as Norway(before going to Vinland). So it's entirely possible that after his return to Greenland, natives that he picked up in Vinland could have traveled east to Iceland.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002...4CE73197.d02t04

Edited by marhawkman

On my mother's side my grandparents are Russian, but born in China. They immigrated to the US (after an extended wait in the Philippines) before they met and married each other and had my mom.

On my dad's side his parents are Greek. My grandfather was born in the US, and my grandmother was a mail-order bride from Greece.

My paternal grandfather was of German ancestry, and my paternal grandmother was Irish. I think there's a little English mixed in there somewhere, but I'm not sure where the connection is. My mother's family is mainly Dutch, but they apparently they intermarried with the local native tribes, though that's far enough back that nobody remembers which tribe anymore.

Mother: Most likely English, as further up the line there is a lot of surnames that orginate from England. Might also be Chinese from my great great (great?) grandfather.

Father: My grandfather was of Danish descent, perhaps German as well and my grandmother was possibly of English, or even Danish descent as well. Not too sure about her though, but I do know my grandfather was definitely Danish. My second cousin (my fathers cousin?), also used to mention Viking descent quite often (she was my 7th Grade teacher), so possibly Viking descent along the lines there somewhere.

I'd love to further research it, but little to no contact outside of immediate family will make that almost impossible. xd.png

My mom is from the United States, and her lineage is mostly Native American. My dad was born in England, and as far as I know, his lineage is English.

I am mostly English, followed by Irish, followed by Belgian. I am probably completely European, but I may, as in probably don't, have a bit of Native American. Sad lack of diversity here D:. Ah well.

Umm... Let's see here. Scottish, German, French, Italian... Caddo, and British. I think. For those who don't know: Caddo is a Native American tribe ^ ^

mother's side: chinese.

father's side: german, irish

theres probably a lot more, but lol i dont really know much. X3 should probably go dig up some stuff

Irish and an eeensy bit of Native American on my mom's side. "Somewhere in Africa" from my dad's side. The exact location was lost sadly.

The confirmed: English, Irish (Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland), Scottish (Stewart clan), and Swedish.

The likely: Welsh (Griffith, cannot trace to Europe), French (Drury ancestors of England would have originated from Normandy following the Norman Conquest), and Italian (apparently a rich man moved to Sweden centuries ago, which resulted in dark hair and hooked noses in the family).

The suspected: German, Norwegian, Icelandic.

My great-grandmother may be English, but nobody knows who her birth family is and she looked a bit different, so she may have been more than English. (In 1899/1900 (forget which year) she was left on a doorstep as a baby in England.) Efforts to find her family, even by DNA I believe, have been unsuccessful.

Irish and an eeensy bit of Native American on my mom's side. "Somewhere in Africa" from my dad's side. The exact location was lost sadly.

Any idea which tribe?

Umm... Let's see here. Scottish, German, French, Italian... Caddo, and British. I think. For those who don't know: Caddo is a Native American tribe ^ ^
Cool! I live in the area the Caddo are from. smile.gif

Sadly I'm not sure which native american group my grandfather is from. Seminole is a best guess based on the approximate region. It's hard to say.