marhawkman

Where did your ancestors come from?

Mostly England 48% and Ireland 21%...  a little from numerous other spheres...

Irish and Italian on one side of the family, Irish and French-Canadian on the other side.

The family's been having some fun with 23 and Me, so we've discovered some traces of Scandinavian on the Irish sides, presumably dating back to around when the Vikings settled Dublin, and the bigger surprise was a fairly high percentage of English on the French-Canadian side. Makes sense, I suppose, considering that France lost their hold in Canada a couple hundred years back, so we figure the original French settlers' sons probably married British settlers' daughters down the line, keeping the French surname but diluting the actual French bloodline.

I have been doing genealogy since the age of 10 after watching my grandmother for three years (who had been doing it for more than 40 years herself). I can get pretty far back on my mother's side as they are among the first immigrants to the United States and she also has Native American in her (I don't know what tribe as they were a slave of French-Canadians). I have also had my DNA tested and tested my father, maternal grandparents, paternal great-aunt, and paternal 1st cousin 3x removed. DNA wise I'm mostly Scottish, Irish, Welsh, and English as well as German, French, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Norwegian, and Greek. I came up as 1% African as well. The DNA sections are Scots-Irish, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, African, and Scandinavia. Genealogy based ethnicity is Scottish, German, French, English, Irish, Danish, Norwegian, Forest Finn, Native American, Spanish, Portugeuse, Greek (Macedonian), very little Italian and Russian. I could go way more in depth, but in regards to my closest immigrating ancestors they are from Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland, Sweden, Norway, Finland, New Zealand (Irish immigrants), France, and Germany. My closest immigrant ancestors are my 2nd-3rd great-grandparents and I will be moving to Europe soon.

English, Irish, German, and Czech.  My 100% Czech-American grandma originally tried to set up my grandpa (with his own English-Irish ancestry, some dating back to about 1634 in the US) with one of her Irish friends but she says he only had eyes for her. 

Dad's side is Polish with a splash of German. Mom's side is primarily Swedish/Norwegian, with some Danish, Dutch, and English. It's funny, growing up I had more contact with Dad's side of the family, and we also grew up in a community with shared ancestry, so I always "felt" more Polish/German. Mom doesn't get along with the rest of her family, so she's openly rejected her ancestry and culture, but now as an adult I've learned more about it and developed an appreciation of it as well. :)

Edited by Twimm

Not sure but I remember one time my parents said that some of my ancestors were from German and possibly a few are from Ireland. I can't confirm it because I don't know much about my ancestors but I do know that I do have a German surname that's REALLY common in Germany, and both sides of my family have German surnames.

Volga German, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, French, English, Mongolian, and maybe Israeli. The last one is a controversy, with the older generation claiming it but my uncle unable to find any proof. My father took a DNA test, but I haven't heard the results.