marhawkman

Where did your ancestors come from?

I learned that I'm descended from Greece, Cyprus and England :3

But I was born here in Aus

On my Mothers side I'm Scots-Irish. Dad is a right mixture.

He has English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French, German and Norse blood.

We know the most about the French members of the family. They were nobility and they fled France during the revolution to save their necks from a close acquaintance with Madame Guillotine. Two branches came over to the UK.

The poorer members of the family settled on the Isle of Wight. The richer lot went to London. We're more directly related to the London lot.

Unfortunately they lost all their money either in that generation or as it came down the line. So although my family comes from Old Money we don't have any of it. sad.gif

Another interesting fact is that one of those French Ancestors was a navy captain and his map table was used to make Napolean's coffin.

Generally your family should be able to tell you a lot of it, but there's also a DNA test kit on National Geographic. It's expensive, but I intend to do it when I save enough money.

My entire family is from Denmark and is apparently a quite long lineage which goes way back. My mom started tracing our ancestory a few years ago and found out it apparently dates back to the 1800.

One of my grandmothers cousins migrated to America and lives in Seattle and my mothers sister migrated to Norway to live, but that's about all there is to foreign countries in my family o.O

I'm from Colombia, so most of my ancestors are Spanish... However, I have a German line from my father's side of the family (probably my great-great-grandpa was German).

So I'm a latina with white skin and blonde, curly hair tongue.gif

Known countries: England, Ireland, Germany, and Czech Republic (but was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at time of immigration). There might be a smattering of other countries I have ancestors from. But that's what I know off the top of my head.

I am a mutt of assorted European descent. xd.png ( IF I was a dragon, pretty sure my lineage'd be MESSY!)

My ancestors came from all over Europe but... the big three are French, German and Finnish.

Edited by Silverswift

I am a mutt of assorted European descent. xd.png ( IF I was a dragon, pretty sure my lineage'd be MESSY!)

My ancestors came from all over Europe but... the big three are French, German and Finnish.

Ooo, now there is an idea for a personal project. A dragon lineage that mimics your own ancestry. xd.png

I'm a Croat and have *plot twist* Croat ancestry. I don't know much about my ancestors, although back when the plague struck Ragusa, a noble family fled the town (a family whose surname I share) and then went to Tomislavgrad, Bosnia from where they spread back into Croatia. So I expect I have noble ancestry.

Father's side: Italian from his mother, and Ukranian from his father.

Mother's side: a jumble of everything, including Irish, African American, Native American, and so on.

If I was in dragon cave, my lineage would be pretty clean on my father's side, can't say the same about my mother's xd.png

I'm half Irish, a quarter French-Canadian, and the other quarter is a mix of German, Italian, and English.

My dad is half spanish, so my family is basically a spanish-mexican mix. Maybe even french on my mother's side, but it's hard to know for sure. I am a latina all the way, but I am very often told I do not look like one, either way, what makes me a latina is my culture, upbringing and of course, my ancestors. I have pale skin and dirty blonde hair, but I feel deeply attached to my roots.

Edited by andromedae

Dad: Plains Cree everything

Mom: Dakota Sioux/ about 1/4 Scottish

It's kind of funny to see people listing percentages of Native American heritage. I do the same with the Scottish. xd.png

Edited by Khymarea

Completely unrelated to my ethnicity, but kind of cool: My dad's aunt was some Native American princess or something, I don't know the whole story, but she's married in.

I was reading through this thread and came across this. I feel really bad saying this, but there isn't a tribe around, current or extinct that has or had Princesses. Sorry.

This is an interesting link- According to this, the term may have started as a term of endearment or a way of combating prejudice: http://genealogy.about.com/od/family_legends/p/cherokee.htm

Edit: I've just realised the above quoted post was from 2013. xd.png I'll leave the above for educational purposes.

(squeaking another edit in here) Ooh, also, this is an interesting resource for those in the US wanting to confirm rumoured Aboriginal ancestry: http://genealogy.about.com/cs/nativeameric...ve_american.htm

Sorry, couldn't resist the extra edit. I'm really into this stuff. I'm having my genome sequenced for my birthday, even though I'm like 90% sure it's just going to tell me that the majority of my ancestors came out of Africa through to Asia, and then on to America via the Bering Land Bridge. I'm probably going to get my husband the same kit for his birthday because he's fairly certain the majority of his heritage is German but isn't sure, so it could be really interesting.

Edited by Khymarea

Good ol' American mutt here. Little bit of this, little bit of that. I think primarily I'm Irish and Norwegian (I have relatives I've never met in Norway) with Scottish as a close second (third?). Then there's some English, Swiss, Austrian, Canadian. Probably some other stuff too because I tan like I'm from the Mediterranean but, as mentioned above, the furthest thing south I am is Swiss and Austrian xd.png Maybe there was an affair somewhere in the history of my family >W>

Finland, my dad's side from Karealia which is currently a part of Russia and my mother's side from western parts of Finland.

I'm not really on good terms with "Both sides" of my family.

I don't get along at all with my father anymore, but he was born and raised in England to A Finnish mother and an Irish father, and he was an only child.

My mother however, was the youngest from a family with 5 children, raised in a small village in Southern Estonia, (though now resides in the much larger city of Tartu) she is an amazing woman that taught me a lot about how tough life can be, and how to overcome it and I love her <3

I consider myself Estonian, since despite living in Estonia, Finland, Germany and England, I was born in Estonia, and its where the majority of my family live. And, like said, I don't really get along with my father anyway. >.>

But yeah, thats my family story. xd.png

Eesti muld ja Eesti süda, kes meid jõuaks lahuta? (Estonian Soil and Estonian Heart, who could ever seperate us? This line comes from a wonderfully patriotic song :3)

Dad: Polish and nothing else that we know of

Mom: English , Welsh, Scottish, Irish, possibly French. Original settler arrived circa 1630

Edited by ainisarie

I'm Korean. Also all of my family are same; Korea is a homogeneous country.

Edited by artiuslove

I'm half Anishinabe Native American, a quarter French-Canadian and a quarter Norwegian. Somehow I manage to wear all the Anglo aesthetics

Based on my relatives I'm pretty sure some of them come from Mars and some from some unknown planet far away somewhere.

My dad's Mexican and my mom is a mix of a lot of things. Primarily French, Irish, English, and German. I only really know anything about the French and Irish though.

The French comes from Phillipe de Lannoy, a Huguenot who befriended Puritans in Belgium and went to Plymouth on the Fortune, the ship that came right after the Mayflower. He was a nobleman from a Catholic family that stretches back to William Longsword and his father, Hrolf the Walker (later Rollo of Normandy, my ancestor is on the Vikings show lol), but abandoned it to sail to Plymouth. From there, I'm also related to FDR and Ulysses S. Grant. Fascinating.

The Irish side is from County Galway and the O'Flaithbheartaigh (TRY SAYING THAT 5 TIMES FAST). They ruled a portion of Ireland for 600 years. All the un-Anglicized names give me a headache though.

I know a little about the English, but only enough that I know what regions in England they came from. Something really old about Edwulf's Settlement near Hereforeshire or something to that effect.

My grandfather is a genealogist and I find all of it rather fascinating honestly.