marhawkman

Where did your ancestors come from?

Well ... One grandfather was a gypsy. Not Sinti, not Roma or anything the like, he just called himself and his family gypsies (Zigeuner).

His wife, my maternal grandmother, judging by her maiden/birth name, may have been one of the many many descendents of a guy named Adam Ries, who supposedly taught the ordinary people basic math so that bakers couldn't cheat so much anymore with bread prices (might explain why I used to be good at math in school :D). Not much is known of her own parents and even of her sister who went missing sometime after 1938. Stupid evil war.

The other grandfather was possibly of Armenian descent, judging by his last name, but not much is known in that direction. He grew up in Saxony. He was very religious, christian, but not so much for churches of sorts. The love of his life, my other grandmother, was a "re-patriated" Russian-German. Born somewhere in Russia in a village so poor that she just so survived the first days of her life in a baking oven, as the only of her siblings, and forcefully moved to Saxony as a young woman. My grandfather married her despite the resistence of his family, and they had three children, one of whom is my father.

I dont know much, but i got some hints over he years.

Father: German/Russian - I know from my grandparents that his part of the family came from russia during WW1.

Mother: German/Netherlands - As far as i understand, my 'i dunno how much'-grandfather acually lived in Netherlands and came over to Germany for work where he met the love of his life and her twinsister...or both...or just one....the story is very confusing and he ended up dating both because he couldnt tell them apart, my grandparents lost the information which sister he acually married. Strangely enough, the twins look EXACTLY like thier mother so...we made many guesses....

7 hours ago, Yubelchen said:

Strangely enough, the twins look EXACTLY like thier mother so...we made many guesses....

Clones! :o

7 hours ago, Yubelchen said:

As far as i understand, my 'i dunno how much'-grandfather acually lived in Netherlands

- Ah, it took me a while to get this, you mean don't-know-how-many-times-"great-" grandfather? (I was wondering why your grandparents wouldn't know whom your grandfather married... :lol: )

I'm almost completely Swiss as far as I know. According to a family tree, my grandmother's grandfather was from Germany, so I guess I'm 1/16 German.

No interesting stories at all.

(Well, I am related to a sort-of-famous person, but he lived 500 years ago, so Wikipedia knows more about him than I do. :P )

yeah, i dunno which xtimes-grandgrandgrandfather it was, was it my grandgrandgrandfather? the grandgrandgrandgrandgrandgrandfather?

We just now someone in our family had that very strange story

Father: Pure Canadian. All his relatives that I know of this live here.

Mother: Jamaica, and Europe.

Mom: German, Irish (by way of Tasmania, by way of Australia penal colony), Basque, Iroquois.

Dad: German, Irish, Shawnee.

My Sister and I are into genealogy and she traced our spear-side roots back to Harald Hardrada of Norway. She also found one ancestress that came from Italy so I have a drop of Italian blood in there somewhere. Probably one of our Viking ancestors stopped in there.

Our spear-side line’s pretty illustrious. We have a grand-aunt that Walt Disney bought an orange orchard from when he started Disneyland.

oh lord okay so my family is Mormon, and a big part of Mormon culture is keeping track of our ancestors and geneology. and we're good at it. you know those websites that let you build a family tree, like Ancestry? those rely on Mormon records. the church wants to compile this information for everyone, because we believe that everyone should have the right to where they come from.

my mom's side of the family came over from sweden starting with my great great grandma, and on my dad's side we're predominantly welsh, but we also have some irish and scottish. my family can trace our ancestry as far back to 700 BC, and some notable figures include a couple scandanavian kings and some very angry celts. if it wasn't a dead language with no existing language families i'd be trying to learn gaulish or something to honor my heritage.

my dad's side of the family has some interesting immediate heritage. when i say we're Mormon, i mean we're really Mormon. we go allllll the way back. one of the founders of the church, Orson Hyde, is one of my great grandfathers (or...something. he's up there.) it's like a direct line. my great great great great grandfather, William Hyde (this dude) led the Mormon Battalion and majorly influenced the history of the american west. the city of Hyde Park in Utah is named for him. we have a copy of his journal.

i'm hoping to learn more about my family history as time goes on.

My mother's part-Russian, mostly Latvian, and my father's partly Estonian.

I am truly as slow as an Estonian but I'm Latvian haha

I might have more mixes, I haven't looked too deep into my ancestry..

On 3/27/2018 at 12:22 AM, Stormfriend said:

My Sister and I are into genealogy and she traced our spear-side roots back to Harald Hardrada of Norway.

We're related, then. Heil og sæl!

As for Me?

Well... I am an American so my ancestry is pretty... mutt-ish? I feel like IF I were a DC dragon I'd probably be a messie. XD

Basically I am an assortment of mixed Northern European stock?

From what I have been able to gather two of the main ones on my Mom's side are French and German.

My Grandfather on my Dad's side was a full blooded Finn, so I am about a quarter Finnish. Grandma on Dad's side was also mainly German as I understand.

So... quite a bit of German, to my knowledge. ( I am from Wisconsin, and quite a few Germans settled here when they came to the United States,so NOT all that surprising...) Mostly I am the offspring of more recent immigrants (No mayflower ancestry here, that I am aware of, my ancestors mostly came here well after that... and I can claim no Native American roots, alas)... though I have been told that ONE of my ancestors fought for the Union ( Another 'Yankee bluecoat' as @Sesshomaru put it. XD)  in the American Civil War. ( I wish that I could say I knew what battles they might have been in, but alas...)

Edited by JavaTigress

Never did the DNA test but mostly..

German, Austrian, and English.

Rumors of some Iroquois (Native American)

I grew up thinking I was Russian. Great grandparents spoke Russian, went to Russian Orthodox Church, ate Russian foods (Haluptkie?), even celebrated Russian Christmas.... w/ Those cute wooden little nesting dolls.

My world was blown away when Grandma said no we were Austrian they just were blending in. LOL.

Edited by wonderwanders2

Mom's side: Scotch, Irish, German. My great-great grandma emigrated from Ireland. We have her papers from Ellis Island. 

Dad's Side: Polish, Swedish

Mum's side: Everyone was English or Irish as far back as we have recorded.

Dad's side: Most are English or Irish. My paternal grandfather's mother was French, but we don't know much about her because she wasn't in the picture for long. Based on my grandfather's complexion and features, she possibly had quite mixed heritage. I'd be really curious to know more about her since my father and grandfather clearly have quite a different ethnic background to the rest of the people in my family, but I've got no idea what it is. It's difficult to get any information about my grandfather's biological mother, though, because she was institutionalised for health issues when my grandfather was very young so there's not really any information I've been able to access.

From my Mom's side: Her grandma was 100% Yugoslavian (Croatian). And my mom's father is a mestizo (Mixed, native + Spanish), but we aren't sure if native or black, probably both lol 

From my Dad's side: 4-5 generations ago they came from southern Italy, there was a huge Italian migration to Latin America back then.

The two main ones according to my DNA test were Europe East at 57% and Great Britain at 28%.  Europe East was not shocking as I knew that I had Polish from both sides of my family.  The Great Britain was shocking as it came from my moms biological father that we did not know about until now.  There were trace amounts from Iberian Peninsula, Europe West, Scandinavia, Finland, Europe south and middle east.

Not entirely sure. Possibly French or Northern European (Danish) maybe. I think my great-great grandma on Dad’s side emigrated to America, but other than that, don’t know. Would be interesting to look up, though. Mum’s side is a mystery as well. I just call myself an English mutt.

Great Britain 48% and found out 21% Irish.  The rest just scattered about with a trace down in the Arab world.

I was born on Russia, my mother was Russian and my father Korean. I have not gone too far into my lineage but I believe my grand,other was also Russian. :) Siberia if you are interested in what part of Russia. 

I was born in Finland and have never heard of anyone in my bloodline being anything but Finnish. While that in itself is fairly uninteresting, my ancestry does include Finnish people from various areas of Finland. Based on what I've heard, I have at least Karelian, Savonian, Ostrobothnian and Tavastian roots. All of that is just from observing 4 of the most recent generations though.

Scotland, Ireland, Dutch, France, England, and American Indian...... what so funny is the great grandma's always explained it this way and my parents would kind of scoff at them, but after going to Ancestry.com this is actually the truthful way our bloodlines break down! Is it shameful of me to wish all of them were still alive so I could rub my parents noses in it? The grandmas would get a good laugh out of it.  ;)