marhawkman

Where did your ancestors come from?

ethnic identity? who needs it? this is not about "race" or racism. This is about your genetic background, AKA your ancestry!

In my case:

Father: english(from his mother), Swedish/Laplander(his paternal grandmother and grandfather)

Mother: AFAIK(not well documented) a mix of Seminole and Irish....

So what about you guys?

French, Italian and German off the boat. LOL. Also have a mix of Scots-Irish, Choctaw, and Lithuania. Not sure what else but I am a true mix breed.

father: his grandfather and mother where immigrants from italy

mother: irish, slight native, her grandfather was kkk

(thank gods she got out of that family)

I know that I am eligible for the Daughters of the American Revolution, meaning I have an ancestor that fought or made a significant contribution to the war. I also know I have a great Grandmother who was half Cherokee. I believe I have a lot of Irish in my family however.

Father: English

Mother: Ancestory can be traced back to the Canadian Suw(Sp?) Indians

Edited by Kursedfire

English, Irish, Scottish, Polish, German and Cherokee.

Russian, Irish and English.

You have the exact same ancestry as my friend. o.O

I'm 100% Chinese and proud of it. 5000 years of pure awesome=Heck yeah! xd.png

Father: English

Mother: Ancestory can be traced back to the Canadian Suw(Sp?) Indians

Do you mean Sioux?

It's a lot of fun to find out what sorts of strange combinations of ancestors people have nowadays. smile.gif

I'm 100% Chinese and proud of it.
But what KIND of Chinese? Han? Manchurian? Mongolian? tongue.gif Edited by marhawkman

Do you mean Sioux?

It's a lot of fun to find out what sorts of strange combinations of ancestors people have nowadays. smile.gif

Yes I think thats it, Its pronouced like Sue (the name) I cant remember how to spell it. My grandmother and family traced it back, It was a very interesting experience. Also Mum says theres a bit of Italian in the mix, Not sure where from?

You have the exact same ancestry as my friend. o.O

I'm 100% Chinese and proud of it. 5000 years of pure awesome=Heck yeah! xd.png

cool smile.gif

My daddy is Russian and my mom is english and irish (maybe more???) and possibly french.

My mom's side isn't very close so I have no idea.

But what KIND of Chinese? Han? Manchurian? Mongolian? tongue.gif

Han ethnic group, to be precise. happy.gif

English, Irish, and Scottish on both sides, with Spanish thrown into the mix on my mum's side.

Russian

Same as me

I guess Polish/Ukrainian? But really it's pretty much Russian.

Umm....Romani? I suppose the most accurate would be Carpathian and Kalderash, with a little Vlax thrown in, if we're showing clans.

On my mother's side, German ancestry. My grandmother grew up in Germany under the Third Reich, and as far back as her ancestry could be traced she was just... German.

My father's side, I don't know much about. I believe the surname itself came from England as best as I can figure out, but no ideas as to when it came to the states or anything like that. Oh well.

Edited by philpot123

Native Americans Black Foot tribe from my mother's side and Japan from my father's side.

100% German (unless you count a tiny small bit of Hollander). As far as I know, my family originally came from the northern part of the country, or the low lands (Oldenburg being one town I know of). My grandfather is the last member to have learned to speak low german.

My ancestors migrated to the states back before the US civil war, 1820-ish I think. Many Germans at that time migrated to the states because the eldest son often inherited land from the father, leaving the younger brothers to venture off in pursuit of land of their own. My uncolorful ancestry is the result of ethnic groups clumping together. Technically, my parents are distant cousins to one another. tongue.gif

Edited by Daydreamer09

Umm....Romani? I suppose the most accurate would be Carpathian and Kalderash, with a little Vlax thrown in, if we're showing clans.

Hehe, I wish I could trace my family tree back that well. wink.gif

Native Americans Black Foot tribe from my mother's side and Japan from my father's side.
Reminds me of a friend of mine who was half Native American and half Korean. smile.gif
100% German (unless you count a tiny small bit of Hollander). As far as I know, my family originally came from the northern part of the country, or the low lands (Oldenburg being one town I know of). My grandfather is the last member to have learned to speak low german.

My ancestors migrated to the states back before the US civil war, 1840-ish I think. At the time there was a war going through Germany, but that's the only event at the time I know of to cause them to migrate. My uncolorful ancestry is the result of ethnic groups clumping together. Technically, my parents are distant cousins to one another. tongue.gif

Yeah, I often wonder how close the English and Norse branches of my family tree are to each other. We know the Vikings loved to bring home trophy wives. A small percentage of the population of Iceland are descended from not Eskimos or Inuit, but a tribe from the mainland of North America. So it's possible that the Vikings in my family tree acquired a few English wives.

On my fathers side:

Irish(Cork)

My great-great-great grandmother was 100% native american. No idea what that makes me. No idea what tribe, either.

Mother's Side:

England(Dunno where from >:)

Northern Ireland

My father's side came here in the early 20th century to Portland, Maine. My mother's side came here in the 1600s, settling in Maine and Massachusetts.

I'm from Massachusetts. Lynn, to be specific.

Edited by canobiecrazy

I'm about 3/4 Polish, 1/8 German, 1/8 English.

Mom's side: 100% Polish (well, the borders were changing, so technically it could be Austrian or whatever, but our ancestors always identified as Polish). Actually fairly recent too, they came over around 1900.

One story we have is that my great-great-grandma and grandpa weren't getting along very well, so he jumped at the chance to go to America. Well, she wasn't going to let him hide away in a different country under the pretense of providing for the family with a new job, so she heard from other people where he'd settled, and brought all the kids over to the US and showed up unexpectedly on his doorstep one day. Talk about a surprise!

Dad's side: I think I calculated it to be 1/2 Polish, 1/4 German, and 1/4 English.

The Polish ancestors have been here since the mid 1800s. One of my great-great-grandpas was born on the ship coming across! That must have been difficult.

I'm not sure about most of the German ancestors (didn't get that far in my ancestry.com excursions this summer), but I do know that there was some war going on in Germany, and my grandpa's grandpa and two brothers were fleeing the country. They had to swim across this river under a bridge, and my great-great grandpa made it across, but his brothers didn't, and he couldn't call out for them or else he'd be found, so he had to assume they'd drowned and keep going. I can't even imagine how difficult that must have been.

The English portion I discovered only recently on ancestry.com. According to church and genealogy records, it looks like everyone in that branch came over to America very early - during the 1600s. They lived in Massachussetts and Connecticut for ages, and one relative (I don't think I'm directly descended) was actually hanged as a witch during the Salem witch trials.