Dracaena

Is there a solution for destroyed lineages?

Here's the crux of the matter... what if you have a dragon that's actually pretty cool either way?

Here's a really nice 5th-gen even-gen bronze dragon, for example: http://dragcave.net/lineage/qqqe0. Imagine the owner of the third-gens in that lineage decided to kill them all. I would be left with a dragon that would either continue to be a 5th-gen even-gen bronze with 8 different tinsel ancestors but one row of dead dragons in its lineage, or become a 3rd-gen even-gen deadline PB bronze. I'd take the former every day of the week, but an owner of one of the siblings might greatly prefer the latter, which they could then breed with another 3rd-gen PB deadline to make valuable 4th-gen even-gens! Why not allow each of us to make our own decision? This also makes the most logical sense, since I would theoretically want to keep the dragon's pedigree papers and the other hypothetical owner would theoretically want to throw them away and ignore them... right?

ETA: Oh sorry Fengari, we seem to keep posting at the same time! :-o No, I don't think it should be OK for you to dictate how another person views a dragon on their own scroll. Just like you can't tell them not to kill the dragon, or inbreed it, or give it a really moronic name. Besides, in the example dragon I just gave, who would get to determine how my dragon would be viewed... the owner of the 2nd-gens who bred it, or the owner of the 3rd-gens who did the killing? I can't see any fair way other than the actual owner of the scroll being the one to decide. I can't see any problem with gifting your dragons only to people who agree to display them the way you prefer, though, just as you can only gift your dragons to people who will carry on the naming scheme or promise not to freeze them or so on.

Edited by tjekan

I think that would not be a problem with the 'the owner decides about the lineage of his dragon'-option: you can choose to toggle 'show all' and when people come to your dragon's lineage page they see a 5th gen with a row of tombstones, and the owner of the sibling could toggle 'show short' (for lack of a better name now) and people visiting that dragon's lineage page would see a 3rd gen ending in tombstones. You could even decide to switch now and again biggrin.gif

It would even solve fuzzbucket's curiosity problem: even if the owner of her gold deadline chooses to show only the doctored version, she could choose the full version for hers to see the original CB. And then, if she didn't like the full lineage she could toggle back after her curiosity was satisfied.

For me, that would mean all my dragons would certainly be seen as I want them to be seen, and if I choose who gets their offspring carefully, so will they.

Like this, I can totally support the toggle option!

EDIT: lol, maybe I should just wait an hour or so before answering you biggrin.gif

It seems like we are getting on the same page here: the owner of a certain dragon chooses how it's lineage page looks for everyone. Nobody can see my dragons as I don't want them to be seen, and I can't dictate how a dragon on another scroll should be viewed. Right?

Edited by Fengari

Just as a little side-note, you probably already realise that: I don't think the histories of dragons that were already killed were kept anywhere, so even if a toggle-option was implemented that would probably not be able to bring the already lost info back.

No - that I know.....sad.gif

I think that would not be a problem with the 'the owner decides about the lineage of his dragon'-option: you can choose to toggle 'show all' and when people come to your dragon's lineage page they see a 5th gen with a row of tombstones, and the owner of the sibling could toggle 'show short' (for lack of a better name now) and people visiting that dragon's lineage page would see a 3rd gen ending in tombstones. You could even decide to switch now and again biggrin.gif

It would even solve fuzzbucket's curiosity problem: even if the owner of her gold deadline chooses to show only the doctored version, she could choose the full version for hers to see the original CB. And then, if she didn't like the full lineage she could toggle back after her curiosity was satisfied.

For me, that would mean all my dragons would certainly be seen as I want them to be seen, and if I choose who gets their offspring carefully, so will they.

Like this, I can totally support the toggle option!

EDIT: lol, maybe I should just wait an hour or so before answering you biggrin.gif

It seems like we are getting on the same page here: the owner of a certain dragon chooses how it's lineage page looks for everyone. Nobody can see my dragons as I don't want them to be seen, and I can't dictate how a dragon on another scroll should be viewed. Right?

THAT'S ALL I WANTED ALL ALONG smile.gif

OMG we can agree and I can go watch TV xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

I've been working on this line for a long time. I've bred it that way on purpose for my own personal aesthetics. Aside from a couple of accidental auto-abandons because I was a derp, and maybe one or two that I traded or gifted to people who wanted that specific look (a look which clearly and non-deceptievly includes inbreeding after the killing), the entire line is on my scroll. I'm not misrepresenting anything, and I'm not going to ruin anyone's lines in the future. I would very much prefer things to stay as they are so that I don't lose all the work I've put into this. If their lineages come back, I'll have a bunch of nasty-lined ap inbreds instead of a fun pattern I've worked on for at least a year. dry.gif

I would theoretically want to keep the dragon's pedigree papers and the other hypothetical owner would theoretically want to throw them away and ignore them...

The toggle would be... okay. But just bringing it all back would be sad and frustrating to people who have played around with this way of making patterns, and there's nothing against the rules or immoral about making patterns in this way.

The toggle would be... okay. But just bringing it all back would be sad and frustrating to people who have played around with this way of making patterns, and there's nothing against the rules or immoral about making patterns in this way.

No, I don't think any of the suggestions that have been made in this thread would include anybody's own displays being changed against their will. :-)

Any change would probably not affect the lineage of already existing dragons anyway. I don't know if the lineage information of dead dragons has even been saved-- it may have been permanently deleted. In the future, if you wanted your dragon's children to look good in both forms of the display, you could just use CB dragons for the dead parents of a potential mate you build for it. :-) Or you could use any old inbred dragon and just keep your display toggled to the way that it looks good. I don't think any of the suggested solutions would affect your lineage plans at all.

I think a pop up much like the "sick egg/hatchling" one would be useful. It would say something along the lines of "a dragon in a lineage has died. Click here [link] to find out more, or you can ignore[link to make message go away] this message. Warning: ignoring this will cause the option to change the lineage to expire"" Link brings person to a view of the lineage with a highlight to the affected area. There's a change and ignore button clicking an option will show how the affected lineage would look afterward and the person will be given the option to confirm, including password.

Since a lineage only becomes affected after the first two weeks, the "change" (or restore) would put the lineage back how it was. Or maybe this should be done before the first two weeks are up?

This change would only affect that one lineage on that one scroll. This allows people to keep the dead end lineages and other people to keep the lineage intact and others to just be able to see what used to be there.