Vhale

Albinism and other color variations

Do note, that in some animals, albinosim isn't 'complete'. Birds are well known for partical albinosim, where only sections of their natural coloring is mostly white. Sometimes the entire bird is albino except for the eyes, and due to that it is considered as partical albinoism.

Often times, albinoism isn't quite fully white, often times the areas that are naturally dark show up as a soft cream or a pale version of the orginal coloring.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archiv...oon_678761n.jpg and http://icons-ak.wunderground.com/data/wxim...yFrance/198.jpg

I definitely agree with the idea, but sadly, don't see it working. I remember when frills (that have now become like bright pinks... impossible to get) were the main cave blocker. This was definitely a few years ago, but I do love the Frill as the example. It's now retired.

And what does the frill have to do with color variations?

Perhaps because a "I can't take it anymore look at these eggs clogging up everything" thread was the straw that broke the camel's back in that case? *shrug*

-----

Also guys, recolouring sprites honestly does not take long, especially if you have a layered file with the flat colours and it's well-organized. In other words, the statement that it's "so much work" to do a recolour is simply false, as the flats can be pulled up quite quickly from almost any sprite to make such a file if the original has been lost. Then an artist that knows their way around their program can make a straight recolour in seconds, and with access to the flats, markings can be added with relative ease. I made a dozen variations for a sprite in under half an hour once with nothing more than the pencil tool, magic wand, and keyboard shortcuts, all because I was bored and people felt the solid red one I made was a little plain. The only things that took more than a few seconds were drawing triangle stripes or adding a belly colour on it for people who wanted to see it with markings. I know TJ also wrote a program years ago (way back in Project 42 aka. "shinies") to automatically colourslide sprites as well, though it doesn't always look good because it's computer-generated. It's the concepting, sketching, lining and shading that takes all the time when it comes to spriting. A recolour doesn't need to do any of that; the lineart remains unchanged and the shading is already done, it just needs to be "imported", which requires only the magic wand and pencil tool to accomplish. Or being smart with your layers, but that isn't perfect so it often needs to be touched up.

So the amount of work it would be is not a huge issue. It's more whether it's worth doing and presenting to people and slogging through all the endless commentary about every single sprite. The actual colour change takes mere moments. People going "Red! Yellow! Green! Red! Blue! (... blue blue red purple green yellow und red, red *BRICKED*)" are the biggest factors that slow down recolour projects simply because there are so many. But that's when the person doing said recolours puts their foot down and proclaims "I'm not making you a rainbow", like I had done with the daydream clouds way back in the day.

-----

My main problem with this suggestion is that it is being suggested under the pretense of solving a problem that cannot be solved, at the very least not this way.

Wondering specifically about this statement, I fail to see how you've concluded pretense from a suggestion that's so cut and dry. As you said, blockers are a perpetual problem, so unless you're insinuating that the suggestion is actually to weasel more sprites out of us rather than encouraging people to grab more eggs, I don't see why anyone would claim that this thread is merely pretending to address this issue. If you didn't mean to imply such, perhaps you may want to look over your word choices... :x

Edited by Lythiaren

While a good idea in theory, in practice I think it would be plain annoying trying to get a decent number of artists rounded up that were willing to do alts, and even then some people would be opposed to it due to lineages, etc.

So I'm not sure where to weigh in either way. I wouldn't want to go for a black or green dragon only to end up with an albino dragon. .3.

Maybe it doesn't need to be alts. The nebula and Ridgewing have different forms but they aren't true alts like the Black or Vine, and not many of them would have to get them.

Maybe once a month a new alt can be put for one of the currently released dragon, and it can be a different one (minus those with alts. already).

Like the ones for the Daydreams, they would look amazing and image the lovely lineage that can be made with special looking ones (holidays and rares could be excluded too)

It opens possibilities

I could see something like this helping if the variations being added does not affect the overall rarity of the dragon.

Say guardians appear 10% of the time [wacky figure, I know].

They get a recolor of some kind that appears 3% of the time overall, but the percentage of the normal color drops to 7%. So the chances of finding a guardian doesn't change, but the regular kind is a bit more scarce.

If it were done that the regular guardian is still 10% and so the overall chances of finding a guardian jumped to 13% it doesn't solve anything. x3 [i know it isn't quite that simple since they would all be percentages of a whole, but the reduction caused by that readjustment still would result in guardians being more common than before] Something like this is probably what would happen if TJ just treated the recolors as new species.

I'd say no more than one recolor per dragon, at least to start. If the dragon is still a problem then a second could be considered.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Exactly. One recolor - at first. But more if the situation calls for them. And also yes to color variations not affecting the overall ratio of a breed.