SerinaNight

Extended Lineages

What do you think about Extended Lineages?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My suggestion is to have some sort of marker on lineages that lets us know if the dragon on the edge of the lineage has a lineage of it's own, so we can check how far back lineages go, and what they contain, without having to open up every single dragon (which can get tiring when over ten or more dragons are on the edge of the lineage) to see if it is cave born or not.

Here is an example of my suggestion, this being an picture of how the lineage normally looks and this being a picture of a way to show which dragons have a lineage. These dragons actually do have lineages, I took a screen shot of this lineage as an example.

Let me know if you have any suggestions to make this better or if you simply have an opinion on it.

---

Thank you SockPuppet Strangler for these wonderful contributions!

I think this suggestion combined with this other one would be really useful. :3

What I mean is that the page will display 12/20 or some such and the dragons which have a longer lineage will be highlighted with a red box or whatever. Then you could click the longer dragons and they would display their own lineages (8/8, 3/3, 2/2, whatever they are). Then you can easily see how long a lineage is and you can see which dragons go past the page.

I like the two suggestions combined because I have several lineages like this or this and half of those don't extend further and half of them do. It can be quite time consuming to go through and figure out which ones are longer.

---

Thanks MisunderstoodDreamer for this suggestion! Another wonderful idea, extending on what I originally suggested. Similar to the thread that SockPuppet Strangler had linked, but a different take.

I love the idea of extending the lineages' view, but I would like a global view instead of clicking the last dragons and see their own lineage like we already do. I think that a great idea would be having lineage pages: if a dragon has a lineage that goes beyond twelve generations, then on the top of the screen there would be the same page links we have on our scrolls, then clicking on them the next page will be visualized, showing the last generation visualized in the first page plus all their relatives (until 12th generations back, then there would be another page).

I made some examples with Photoshop, playing with the firts part of this dragon's lineage, hope you don't mind the crappy work (I had few time and couldn't get into details)

Page 1: http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/9457/page1e.png

Page 2:http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/97/page2m.png

To be honest, I don't really know if it's possible to code this, but I'm throwing out the idea the same, if it isn't possible it could be a good suggest for another way of showing the lineages.

---

PieMaster gave another wonderful suggestion!

I want a sideways scroll bar like in this page, which even goes on to explain how to code one. Maybe you can choose in account settings which option you prefer?

---

I've also been informed/reminded by several people that there is a similar feature on the website The Allure of Neglected Dragons, so, while this is helpful, I'm sure all of us would love to get a lineage feature on the actual site as well.

---

Support Banners

Feel like making a support banner? Go ahead! Just let me know and I'll put it up here. If you're less artistically inclined, feel free to give me suggestions.

By: SerinaNight

user posted image

[url=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=126866&st=0][IMG=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/SerinaNight/ExtendedLineage_largebanner1.jpg][/url]

user posted image

[url=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=126866&st=0][IMG=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/SerinaNight/ExtendedLineage_smallbanner1.png][/url]

user posted image

[url=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=126866&st=0][IMG=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/SerinaNight/ExtendedLineage_largebanner2.jpg][/url]

user posted image

[url=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=126866&st=0][IMG=http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/SerinaNight/ExtendedLineage_smallbanner2.png][/url]

Edited by SerinaNight

This is already a feature on the AOND lineage pages - at the end of the page the dragons "affected" read "there's more."

I like this as well. It would be useful just to know if the lineages extended, even if we didn't look at them.

@SockPuppet Strangler: While I can see these two posts mixing well together, I'm not sure how to implement that. I think that unless it shifted to all dragons past a certain point (EX: 1-13, 14-20, etc.) there wouldn't be enough room on screen. I think that's the main problem with simply being able to view higher lineages, is the reason lineages like this get cut off is because they are super tiny at that point, and there is no room for their parents.

@fuzzbucket: I'm sorry, can you let me know what AOND means? I feel silly asking, but I don't recognize the term.

@stogucheme: Thanks for your support!

@ab613: That's the very reason I posted this thread, I was getting annoyed of having to check all the dragons for extended lineages.

AOND = Allure Of Neglected Dragons

its one of the many fansites. :3 the ND in my signature links to it, in case you've never visited. it has lots of nifty features.

BUT i still support the suggestion, because it would be nice to be able to do something like this on the site without help from an outside source

I like the idea.

@Fuzzbucket I love AOND and all it's features, but I find seeing lineages there is a little hard because they are more spread out vertically than on DC. It is great for seeing that there are more dragons (with the "there's more") and that dragons causing inbreeding can be marked though. I'm too tired to do screen shots, but say we use this dragon as an example - http://dragcave.net/lineage/YMP4C . This may be a little different depending on the size of folk's screens. On the DC page, I can see 8 males and 5 females without scrolling. On the AOND page, if I ask for all 13 gens available on one page, I have to scroll down and down and down to just see the one YMP4C dragon.

@ SockPuppet Strangler Did you mean that we are supposed to see 13 gens on the DC page? I only see 12 on the DC page.

@Fuzzbucket I love AOND and all it's features, but I find seeing lineages there is a little hard because they are more spread out vertically than on DC. It is great for seeing that there are more dragons (with the "there's more") and that dragons causing inbreeding can be marked though. I'm too tired to do screen shots, but say we use this dragon as an example - http://dragcave.net/lineage/YMP4C . This may be a little different depending on the size of folk's screens. On the DC page, I can see 8 males and 5 females without scrolling. On the AOND page, if I ask for all 13 gens available on one page, I have to scroll down and down and down to just see the one YMP4C dragon.

Crumbs - I see what you mean !

On the AOND page, if I ask for all 13 gens available on one page, I have to scroll down and down and down to just see the one YMP4C dragon.

Well that's not supposed to work like that! I'm pretty sure it used to be better, too... So I'm not sure what changed. Very odd. I've made a note of it, though, to look into it sometime later when I have time. But for future reference, that's the perfect sort of strangeness to point out in the AoND thread, to make sure I see/know about it.

And back on topic... I would love having some sort of indicator on-site. I suspect it would actually require a small amount of extra work, depending on how the current lineage pages are generated, but it would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe...one of these symbols next to a dragon's name? » → ↣ ↦ ↱ ↳ ⇀ ⇒ ⇨ ⋗ ⋙ ► ➡ ➣ ➢ ➩ ➪ ➱ ➲ ➸ ➾ > →

@SockPuppet Strangler: While I can see these two posts mixing well together, I'm not sure how to implement that. I think that unless it shifted to all dragons past a certain point (EX: 1-13, 14-20, etc.) there wouldn't be enough room on screen. I think that's the main problem with simply being able to view higher lineages, is the reason lineages like this get cut off is because they are super tiny at that point, and there is no room for their parents.

@ SockPuppet Strangler Did you mean that we are supposed to see 13 gens on the DC page? I only see 12 on the DC page.

(That may be a typo on the OP? I dunno; I didn't write it, lol.)

What I mean is that the page will display 12/20 or some such and the dragons which have a longer lineage will be highlighted with a red box or whatever. Then you could click the longer dragons and they would display their own lineages (8/8, 3/3, 2/2, whatever they are). Then you can easily see how long a lineage is and you can see which dragons go past the page.

I like the two suggestions combined because I have several lineages like this or this and half of those don't extend further and half of them do. It can be quite time consuming to go through and figure out which ones are longer.

Thanks everyone for informing me what AOND means! I've been there before, just didn't realize that stood for it. biggrin.gif

@SockPuppet Strangler: I understand now, would you mind me quoting you in the main post for your continuation of my idea? I figure I might as well, since you explain it pretty well. I also plan on linking the other thread.

@stogucheme: I don't really think it's so important on what type of symbol is there, as long as there is something. biggrin.gif

Also, thanks everyone for the support!

I really like this idea. As a big fan of inbreds, I love to see all the special ancestors I have. Descended from Midas Dorkface AND Penk AND with 50 other rarish / holiday dragons in my lineage? Rock on! To be able to find out I'm related to Penk 6 different ways would be even better. I love AOND for so many reasons, but I honestly don't use their inbred checker because I just don't really care if my dragons are inbred or not. It wouldnt strike me to look beyond all the web of lovely colors I see already. This would make my day magical.

Edited by natayah

@SockPuppet: Thanks! biggrin.gif

@natayah: I've found some of my dragons have HUGE lineages, and finding out their even bigger would be cool, but only if you didn't have to check all 20 dragons individually. Anyway, thanks for the support!

Edited by SerinaNight

I'll gladly support! If you want a banner or something, just ask.  wink.gif

If you want to make a banner, I'd love to have one! laugh.gif

---

I should probably make one myself too.. rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Made two, a large and a small. Anyone is free to throw me suggestions for more!

Edited by SerinaNight

I love the idea of extending the lineages' view, but I would like a global view instead of clicking the last dragons and see their own lineage like we already do. I think that a great idea would be having lineage pages: if a dragon has a lineage that goes beyond twelve generations, then on the top of the screen there would be the same page links we have on our scrolls, then clicking on them the next page will be visualized, showing the last generation visualized in the first page plus all their relatives (until 12th generations back, then there would be another page).

I made some examples with Photoshop, playing with the firts part of this dragon's lineage, hope you don't mind the crappy work (I had few time and couldn't get into details)

Page 1: http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/9457/page1e.png

Page 2:http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/97/page2m.png

To be honest, I don't really know if it's possible to code this, but I'm throwing out the idea the same, if it isn't possible it could be a good suggest for another way of showing the lineages.

That is quite an interesting idea! I'll quote you in the first post as another option, since I think there are lots of people who would like this even more then my suggestion. Thanks for the input! biggrin.gif

I definitely like MisunderstoodDreamer's idea that's been edited into the OP. smile.gif Having pages like we do on our scrolls. I think that's a really simple but effective way to extend lineages easily. That way, even at first glance, you know roughly how long a lineage is (depending on whether it's got one page or... five).

So yeah, I'm in full support of that. smile.gif I think something like this would be really useful.

I definitely like MisunderstoodDreamer's idea that's been edited into the OP. smile.gif Having pages like we do on our scrolls. I think that's a really simple but effective way to extend lineages easily. That way, even at first glance, you know roughly how long a lineage is (depending on whether it's got one page or... five).

So yeah, I'm in full support of that. smile.gif I think something like this would be really useful.

Pages sounds like absolutely the way to go - way easier than looking for a highlighted dragon and clicking on that, as you'd only get THAT part of the extension and you'd have to repeat a lot in a complex lineage.