TLOSpyrogirl

Viruses

If it is Text Enhance, perhaps this could work? (Taken from Microsoft forums.)

I've had this coming up for a couple of weeks now.

I looked in my list of programs and saw one called "Bflix", which I didn't recognise as anything I'd installed.

So, I uninstalled it.

I then went to my Chrome spanner and went to Tools, Extensions and removed "Bflix" from there also.

No more Text Enhance for me! :-)

I ALMOST got a virus one time, well I did but we stopped it, I was going to youtube and I typed in youtbube or something like that, it took me to a german hospital website and then virus warning

This reply is for Jedi40 from a virus discussion in the Help section:

It sounds like you have a problem with either Text Enhance spyware or something similar to it. Do you know how to check what extensions or plug-ins your browsers are running? If not, which browsers are you using?

Also, if you're using Windows, can you check your programs for Text Enhance or any other strange looking programs?

Go to Start. Then go to your Control Panel. Select Add/Remove Programs or Programs/Features, depending on which version you're using, then check your list of programs.

Also, if it is a problem with Text Enhance, whatever you do don't use the opt out option on their site.

Not a clue. I am using MFF and Chrome.

I have Windows XP. I did and there is nothing there that is new at all. All programs have been there for years.

Not a clue. I am using MFF and Chrome.

I have Windows XP. I did and there is nothing there that is new at all. All programs have been there for years.

Well, for FF, go to Tools. Then click on Add-ons. Check your extensions, your themes, and your plug-ins to see if there's anything strange. If you don't know if they're strange or not because you don't recognize them, make a list of them and post it here.

And from TLOSpyrogirl's post (because it's been a while since I used Chrome) - go to the Chrome wrench, then Tools, Extensions and see what's there.

Answering question posted by TLOSpyrogirl in the Help area

You should never allow adware to remain on your computer, malicious or not. All it does is feed the sites that installed it on your computer money, which will be used to produce more adware and put it on other's computers.

Good. No, they shouldn't. My computer has an overheating problem and Microsoft Security Essentials runs fine on it. Note, though, Malwarebytes has a tendency to block cookies from malicious sites, so you'll probably be getting a lot of 'attack blocked' messages if you use MBAM. This is normal.

Also, if you do download one of those antiviruses, please remove any other ones that have real-time protection. Antiviruses can conflict and this may cause problems if a virus is detected. Scanners that don't protect in real-time can stay.

The Windows logo. Just keep tapping from the moment your computer starts up until you get to the black screen with the text. Go down with your arrow keys and select 'safe mode with networking'.

Hmm. Ad, probably. Also, be careful what sites you go to. Use sites like Norton Safe Web, Mywot, and McAfee Site Adviser to check out a site before you go to it.

But I thought I had gotten rid of it last night. sad.gif

Okay as I have a very limited space on my PC.

All I have is Spybot and I would have no idea who to even do any of that any way as I am not tech savvy.

I don't get a Windows logo. All I get is Welcome and then my desktop.

All the sites I go to are ones I have gone to for years.

Answering question posted by TLOSpyrogirl in the Help area

But I thought I had gotten rid of it last night. sad.gif

Okay as I have a very limited space on my PC.

All I have is Spybot and I would have no idea who to even do any of that any way as I am not tech savvy.

I don't get a Windows logo. All I get is Welcome and then my desktop.

All the sites I go to are ones I have gone to for years.

Well, you didn't, if you're still seeing links.

It should be easy to uninstall it; just go into start, find the program, hover over the Spybot - Search and Destroy name, and click 'Uninstall'.

o.O That's... odd. No blinking underscore? No little Windows flag with a loading screen thing, or green screen with big white text? Are you shutting down completely or just restarting?

I'm not seeing links anymore, so I think I /finally/ got rid of TE! 8D

I'm not seeing links anymore, so I think I /finally/ got rid of TE! 8D

Awesome! smile.gif

Did you get rid of it in your browser settings or did you have to get rid of it in your computer settings?

Well, for FF, go to Tools. Then click on Add-ons. Check your extensions, your themes, and your plug-ins to see if there's anything strange. If you don't know if they're strange or not because you don't recognize them, make a list of them and post it here.

And from TLOSpyrogirl's post (because it's been a while since I used Chrome) - go to the Chrome wrench, then Tools, Extensions and see what's there.

Okay done:

I found 3 things I have no clue about:

MetaStream 3 plugin 3.0.12.9

Yontoo 1.20.00

AVG Safe Search 12.0.0.1912 disabled

On Chrome it says

AVG Safe Search 12.0.0.1901

with a checked box say it's enabled.

Well, you didn't, if you're still seeing links.

It should be easy to uninstall it; just go into start, find the program, hover over the Spybot - Search and Destroy name, and click 'Uninstall'.

o.O That's... odd. No blinking underscore? No little Windows flag with a loading screen thing, or green screen with big white text? Are you shutting down completely or just restarting?

Okay I did what you told me to do to remove Spybot only there is no Uninstall function. When I click onto the program it just pops up ready to look for bad things like it always does. And I found on it that the last update was done back on 04. So now what? And what do I put in it's place when I do remove it?

Nope not a thing. And this is from a daily start up.

Okay I did what you told me to do to remove Spybot only there is no Uninstall function. When I click onto the program it just pops up ready to look for bad things like it always does. And I found on it that the last update was done back on 04. So now what? And what do I put in it's place when I do remove it?

Nope not a thing. And this is from a daily start up.

Yontoo 1.20.00

MetaStream is often installed without consent and labeled adware. It's a part of the Viewpoint Media Player, which allows you do view 3D content. If you don't go to sites that use 3D imaging, I'd remove it. Can't say about Yontoo, but it has something to do with Facebook. AVG Safe Search is safe.

You have to go into the Start menu, don't open it. And, as I said, Malwarebytes or MSE. Did you also say you have AVG? Well, after you remove Spybot, I'd try scanning again, just in case there was a conflict problem. If AVG is actively patrolling, remove that too and download MBAM/MSE, one or the other. But before you do ANYTHING, remove MetaStream and see if the links disappear.

Strange, just strange. I've never heard of anything like that...

Edited by TLOSpyrogirl

Okay done:

I found 3 things I have no clue about:

Yontoo 1.20.00

On Chrome it says

AVG Safe Search 12.0.0.1901

with a checked box say it's enabled.

In FF, use the uninstall button and remove Yontoo 1.20.00. Then clear your cache - Click Tools> Clear Private Data and then uncheck all but "cache".

Although, personally, I'd delete all my cookies, too, but that will log you out of sites you're automatically logged into now and get rid of some of your site settings and preferences until you reset them. You can go to Edit> Preferences> Privacy> Remove individual cookies and scroll down to see if Yontoo has a little folder on there. If so, delete that.

Then close FF and restart your computer. Open FF and see if the links are still there.

Edited by skauble

MetaStream is often installed without consent and labeled adware. It's a part of the Viewpoint Media Player, which allows you do view 3D content. If you don't go to sites that use 3D imaging, I'd remove it. Can't say about Yontoo, but it has something to do with Facebook. AVG Safe Search is safe.

You have to go into the Start menu, don't open it. And, as I said, Malwarebytes or MSE. Did you also say you have AVG? Well, after you remove Spybot, I'd try scanning again, just in case there was a conflict problem. If AVG is actively patrolling, remove that too and download MBAM/MSE, one or the other. But before you do ANYTHING, remove MetaStream and see if the links disappear.

Strange, just strange. I've never heard of anything like that...

I could not find MetaStream listed in the programs so I went back to tools and redid everything and it says that MetaStream has been disabled due to Security and Stability issues. So how do I remove it if I can't find it? unsure.gif

Yes I have AVG for my virus scan. That's just the thing it (Spybot)won't remove. Don't open what in the Start menu?

But I just bought AVG for another year and you want me to remove it?

Is really confused about Yontoo. You say it's something to do with FB and should be left alone but skauble says to ditch it. unsure.gif

In FF, use the uninstall button and remove Yontoo 1.20.00.  Then clear your cache - Click Tools> Clear Private Data and then uncheck all but "cache". 

Although, personally, I'd delete all my cookies, too, but that will log you out of sites you're automatically logged into now and get rid of some of your site settings and preferences until you reset them.  You can go to Edit> Preferences> Privacy> Remove individual cookies and scroll down to see if Yontoo has a little folder on there.  If so, delete that.

Then close FF and restart your computer.  Open FF and see if the links are still there.

But TLOSpyrogirl says it has something to do with FB and I should leave it be.

Okay I will once again clear my cache and cookies after I rerun my virus scan. Just one thing I don't have a Clear Private Data button.

Edited by Jedi40

Okay I will once again clear my cache and cookies after I rerun my virus scan. Just one thing I don't have a Clear Private Data button.

You're probably in a browser where it's Clear Recent History instead.

But TLOSpyrogirl says it has something to do with FB and I should leave it be.

Do you use PageRage or any other customization programs for your FB? That's it's association with FB, and you might want to read this post in a forum that deals with helping people fix their computers, to see if that's something you want to continue using.

I suggested trying to uninstall that one because it's part of things that run ads on people's sites, and though they're not usually the ads you're describing, adware can branch out quickly. The problem is that these things are usually something that the user installs. Not always intentionally. They often come bundled with other things and people don't notice that they're installing something other than only the program they want (a lot of toolbars get installed like that), or they don't read the small print when using things like certain FB apps and the like.

The thing is that because it's adware and not spyware or malware, sometimes it won't get caught by antivirus programs. That's why I thought you might want to start with the smallest thing it might be - a browser extension - and then work your way up to larger things. Any extensions you uninstall you should be able to reinstall, and some people have said that uninstalling some of them did fix the test link problem.

But you can start with the other (MetaStream 3 plugin 3.0.12.9) if you'd like and see if that change does it. Hopefully it helps some - although if you're having the same problem in other browsers without the extensions it might indicate that this is adware on your computer. Have you tried IE?

You're probably in a browser where it's Clear Recent History instead.

Yep that one I have thanks Sock.

Do you use PageRage or any other customization programs for your FB? That's it's association with FB, and you might want to read this post in a forum that deals with helping people fix their computers, to see if that's something you want to continue using.

I suggested trying to uninstall that one because it's part of things that run ads on people's sites, and though they're not usually the ads you're describing, adware can branch out quickly. The problem is that these things are usually something that the user installs. Not always intentionally. They often come bundled with other things and people don't notice that they're installing something other than only the program they want (a lot of toolbars get installed like that), or they don't read the small print when using things like certain FB apps and the like.

The thing is that because it's adware and not spyware or malware, sometimes it won't get caught by antivirus programs. That's why I thought you might want to start with the smallest thing it might be - a browser extension - and then work your way up to larger things. Any extensions you uninstall you should be able to reinstall, and some people have said that uninstalling some of them did fix the test link problem.

But you can start with the other (MetaStream 3 plugin 3.0.12.9) if you'd like and see if that change does it. Hopefully it helps some - although if you're having the same problem in other browsers without the extensions it might indicate that this is adware on your computer. Have you tried IE?

Never heard of PageRage before..so I guess the answer would be no on that one. And a no on the next one as well. hummm they say it is not good to have it on ones PC so I will get rid of it. Edit it has been removed.

That's just the thing I can't find MetaStream any where to get rid of it and like I posted to TLOSpyrogirl

I could not find MetaStream listed in the programs so I went back to tools and redid everything and it says that MetaStream has been disabled due to Security and Stability issues. So how do I remove it if I can't find it?

I used to have IE but my brother removed it because it caused a lot of stuff to get onto my computer. So I only use MFF and Chrome now.

Am clearing my cache and cookies now..and there seems to be a lot on them since it has been running for some time now. Will let you know if doing that fixes everything or not.

That's just the thing I can't find MetaStream any where to get rid of it and like I posted to TLOSpyrogirl

Do you use AIM? If not, then you should be fine removing Viewpoint Media Manager, which is what the plugin is for. I found these directions for removing it here.

How to Remove Viewpoint Media Player, Toolbar, or Manager

1) Right-click on the clock in your taskbar and choose Task Manager

2) Click on the Processes tab and search for VIEWMGR.EXE, if its found, click on it and then click End Task to close it

3) Click on Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs

4) Uninstall any of the following programs associated with Viewpoint

* Viewpoint Manager

* Viewpoint Media Player

* Viewpoint Toolbar

5) Close the Add/Remove Programs and Control Panel

6) Restart your computer.

After that, check FF and see if you can uninstall the plugin at that point if it's still there.

Use to get viruses like crazy when I used Firefox. I switched to Google Chrome and installed McAfee Internet Security and haven't had any since.

Usually takes a full reformat/reinstall of Windows once every couple months to get rid of the viruses I somehow had managed to get. Glad that I got the programs that I have now.. haven't had to do that in awhile and McAfee tells me every time it blocks the ad viruses. All the blocks are from ads displayed with the AdChoices banners which is what the cave and forums have. :S

I got the Bluescreen/system32 virus on my memory stick last year from the school PC's. It killed my laptop, I ended up wiping the hard drive about 3 times and managing to run norton... Bad times, bad times.

I got a virus on my other laptop a few years ago. After that I was very careful, made sure my anti-virus program was always up to date, did regular computer scans with Malwarebytes, used extensions to protect my browser. Then AVG seemed to become a big, unwieldy mess of a program that ran all the time and wouldn't let me turn off the features I didn't need and one day I scanned my laptop and still found a corrupted file (from a site I actually did trust) and that was it for me - I found a page that told me how to load a Linux OS onto a USB stick and I dumped Windows and switched over, even though I knew absolutely zero about how Linux worked.

And let me say, best decision ever. I have never had so much fun with my computer than I have since the change. Seriously, I don't think I could ever go back to Windows again.

Not that I'm not careful still, I am. I just don't have to be obsessive about it.

Do you use AIM? If not, then you should be fine removing Viewpoint Media Manager, which is what the plugin is for. I found these directions for removing it here.

After that, check FF and see if you can uninstall the plugin at that point if it's still there.

No, but I do use yahoo IM though.

Well it's gone!! Removing Yontoo and clearing the cache and cookies did the trick...no more weird colored text.

As for the other stuff I could not find VIEWMGR.EXE at all on the lest. So now what? Do I still need to do all this stuff even now with the next back to normal?

I've had 2 Downloaders (one didn't get caught until it had like 13 other files downloaded for it) and 3 Trojans (I think!) and I downloaded Frostwire and it came up with 5 EACH time I scanned so after that it was removed. Not a single one since. :3

Luckily Nortons got rid of them. I had ad block but it was only blocking google ads so adobe and java ones would still show up so that's how I got the others. Nortons said it stopped one of the downloaders but it still got through cuz I scanned it immediately afterwards as I wasn't taking no chances. So after that I stopped using IE and went to Firefox for my e-mail box.

No, but I do use yahoo IM though.

Well it's gone!! Removing Yontoo and clearing the cache and cookies did the trick...no more weird colored text.

As for the other stuff I could not find VIEWMGR.EXE at all on the lest. So now what? Do I still need to do all this stuff even now with the next back to normal?

If it all seems to have gone, run a full virus scan with whatever you have (AVG ?) Just to be SURE SURE SURE !