Sourwhatup

Family or Friends?

Who would you rather go out with? (Dinner, Movies, etc.)  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I'm still technically a kid (with strict parents and friends with even stricter parents) so the majority of the time I go out to places with my family and I have no problem with that. I enjoy their company. Granted, my siblings get on my nerves a lot, but I've known them their whole life so it's hard not to, well, be friends with them tongue.gif My mom and my dad are pretty awesome too.

I haven't been friends long enough with my current friends to have my parents allow me to spend much time with them outside of school, but I always feel awkward around other people's parents. I'm much more comfortable with my own.

I prefer family over friends. To me, friends can be replaced but my family cannot. My opinion on that is biased, as my sisters have recently been going through a lot of friend drama; it's stressful to say in the least. They aren't even my friends yet I feel like telling them to pull their act together with all their dramallamaing. Another reason why I lean more towards family is because I haven't had any decent friends since 10th grade. After not going to school for a good three months, friends became more of a 'couldn't care less' than a 'I need friends to be happy' scenario. The people I used to be friends with were good people though, I don't think bad of them in the slightest.

Basically, I prefer my own company. However when I need it, there is only my family to go to, even then only one person would actually listen to me. My eldest sister was essentially my best friend up until earlier this year. We used to go to movies together, help each other out when needed, listen to eachothers worries (we shared a room too, despite both of us being in our late teens). I rarely talk to her now, as she moved out after an arguement. Let's just say she wasn't pulling her weight and my mother didn't see eye to eye with her. I do miss that interaction with her, but it's not like she is making much effort to talk to me (she could probably say the same about myself).

With my younger siblings, I don't exactly spend much time with them, but I'll usually go out of my way to help them out or make them happy. I feel they don't really understand what I go through; but that's life. I guess I don't really get along with them because I am jealous of them as they don't have to help out around the house (or should I say they refuse to unless bribed). It just means that I have to do their share as well as my own.

*Shrugs* Life story aside, I feel more comfortable with my "family" than I do with the people that I could consider friends. I'm able to talk about pretty much anything with my family, yet I feel that if I told someone (a friend) about myself, they would see me as too much of a burden and ditch me. True friends wouldn't be like that, but they are hard to come by as my trust is difficult to gain. Long story short, family is my preference. happy.gif

I like spending time with my family. Between work and college classes, I don't get to spend as much time with them as I use to back when I was younger. Also, my family is pretty close and my mom and my younger brother are some of my closest friends.

There's also the fact that I don't have too many good friends outside of family that I get around to hanging with often. Right now, everyone's pretty busy and spreading out since high school. Not that I'd choose staying home with family over going out with friends, it's more of a rarer occurrence.

With extended family, it depends. I rarely get to see my grandparents, so I really want to spend time with them. My mom's side is small and pretty close. On the other hand, my dad was in a big family with a lot of sisters who like to gossip mostly and I'm not that close with many on that side.

Edited by Daydreamer09

I spend so much time with my family (and I love it, don't get me wrong), but I'd rather do 'fun' stuff (movies, shopping, the like) with my friends. Friends are meant to have fun with, and, since this is my last year of high school and I won't see most of them nearly as much next year, I want to spend as much time as possible with them.

All of the above. I have a great time with my friends, my family, and alone.

Friends.

But remember, your family will always be there for you. smile.gif So if you're lonely or just got dumped or had a fight or everyone else is busy...They'll always be there. When I was young I used to hate spending time with my family, but now that I'm older, I really appreciate how they're always willing to spend time with me.

If there was a disaster or some thing where I had to choose one over the other, it'd be family for sure. But just for hanging out and having fun, it'd have to be the friends. tongue.gif

I chose family, but actually I mean my BF's family.

I never see my friends anymore, since leaving my ex-hubby and moving back to my hometown three years ago. They all have children and very busy lives, and we just don't relate to each other anymore as I am childless.

I see my family hardly ever, except for my mum (who I have a great friendship with,) but my BF's family is amazing. His parents call me all the time to come hang out with them (when my BF's at work,) whether it's a bonfire or having a few drinks at the bar. They even took us to Mexico with them, and even though the only time apart that we had was bed time, it never felt strained. We had a blast! That says a lot when four adults (one set being the parents,) can hang out together for a full week in a resort and can still laugh and joke around together by the end of it. It helps that we all share a similar taste in movies, books, love of animals (our two dogs are their grand-pups,) and other things.

The rest of his family love me, and I even get calls from his Oma and Opa now and then to see how I'm doing and to tell me how much they love me.

I do like to hang out with my BF's friends, but for going out to dinner or to just hang out, I'd pick my BF's parents.

Family.

I like my friends and all but (be prepared for a rant I've been holding in for about 3 years) you see, we used to have this club, just the 3 of my closest friends and I, then one of the girls, the kindest, moved to California. Ever since then, the other two girls have been talking about each other behind their backs to me. When they are together, they leave me out of everything. Friends are so confusing. 3 isn't a very good group, if you ask me. 3 is uneven. I find myself very happy with my family because they understand me. When I'm with my family, I don't have to pretend that I know how to dance. It is just low-stress to hang out with my family.

Anyone except my dad. Really. Grandparents are great, my brothers and cousins are fun, friends are awesome, and my mom's okay. But dad... *glare of hate*

I prefer my cousins and brothers more than my friends, though.

i prefer doing everything with my family, and im not to fond of anything else really. ive been trying to be more sociable recently though.

I'd love to go out with a boyfriend, but I don't have one.

I like hanging with both friends and family though.

I'd rather hang out with family because I have a bad history with trying to make friends. The neighbors next door to us were using us until my step-dad (I call him dad now) came and told us what was going on. That and my bio-dad wanted to seperated us from the outside world.

I prefer to be with my family than my real-life friends, but I like talking to my online friends more than anyone else... And a lot of the time I feel like my real-life friends are only "friends" with me because they get a kick out of me struggling to talk to them and being really awkward.

When I was younger, I would have picked my friends over my family any day of the week. Now that I'm older, it's totally the other way around.

I have a kid sister, two years younger than me. We were a good team as youngsters but we weren't close. I rode horses and liked photography, she took Karate lessons and played soccer. We were just different people. Now that we're much older we have a lot more in common; we like a lot of the same books, music, movies, and people, so we wind up hanging out together a lot. She's pretty much my best friend at this point.

I used to think my mom and dad were boring, but it turns out they were just downplaying how cool they are so that I'd get raised right. C: My Dad is a really smart guy, and I value a lot of the advice he gives me when it comes to career and finance. He's also classy and cool, so I enjoy spending time in his company. That said, we don't have much in common so we're not really close. Mom and I, on the other hand, have a lot in common. We both like horses (we have one that we share), shopping, vampires, books and smelly things. (We can spend half an hour in Yankee Candles just sniffing candles to our little hearts' content.) I used to hate going to the mall shopping for clothes with mom... and now I adore it.

My family is pretty awesome, I love them and I don't know what I'd do without them. I know not everyone is as lucky as I am, though. My ex-husband wasn't on speaking terms with his mother for the first five years we were together, an for good reason. He tried to mend the relationship but... she's just out of her mind. It makes me appreciate my clan all the more.

It depends really. I don't have any irl friends, all my friends are in dis computerbox. I like spending time with my family, but I get nervous if it's anyone that isn't my mum and dad and I generally get kind of like... would it be worn out if I socialize for too long? Then I just like to hide in my room and talk to my friends online and take a break from people.

Yeahhh, it all depends.

Edited by Switch

Family. Family, definitely. I actually really love some of my friends, but my family mean the whole world to me.

Occasionally, though, I like to be by myself.

If I have to choose only between the two (family or friends) I will take family. We live in a very isolated place and if it weren't for family, none of us would have any friends.

My bestest friend is a good book, so being alone and being lonely are two different things though. We have a small library of about 700 paperback books, many of them are old friends I've enjoyed many times.

Friends.

We make friends because they share our interests. While my family is OK - mostly they - for instance - don't like the same movies I do, the same books, doing the same kind of things. The exception is my SO - who is also my best friend, so....

I get on pretty well with my parents (one point for being an only child ^___^v) but I find it awkward to talk to them about a lot of topics. My friends I find easy to talk to and I actually don't dread going out to places with them.

I often find myself going out with friends on weekends just to avoid spending too much time with my parents.

So, yup. Friends over family. Maybe it's an age thing but...meh.

I'm an only child, so I'm rather close to my parents and usually would much rather hang out with them than any of my friends. I do sometimes ditch them for my few close friends, though.

I rather go with my friends. But mainly my close ones that I can really talk to without getting annoyed half the time. Those friends that I can talk to decently are pretty awesome. biggrin.gif