SnowSherry

Artificial Sweetener: Worse?

You Love Your Diet Cola

No calories mean no weight gain, right? This is the popular line of reasoning for many diet soda drinkers. Unfortunately, current research indicates a possible link between artificial sweetener consumption and weight gain. A study in the journal Diabetes Care found that daily consumption of diet soda was associated with a 36 percent greater relative risk of developing metabolic syndrome and a 67 percent greater relative risk of developing Type 2 diabetes compared with non-consumption. http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short

Another study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that, in one group of study participants, consumption of artificially sweetened beverages was associated with Type 2 diabetes. http://www.ajcn.org/content/93/6/1321.abstract

The findings are mimicked in rat studies as well. A study in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience found that consumption of products containing artificial sweeteners led to weight gain due to changes in the rat's normal physiological processes of sweets. http://journals.ohiolink.edu/ejc/article.c...ticle=161_arfst

In addition to this, the presence of constant artificial sweeteners in the diet means you're never really letting your taste buds get a break from the sweet taste you love. The more you drink diet soda, the longer you'll remain trapped in the sugar cycle and continue to crave. (main source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirk...ref=mostpopular )

If you're that worried about how many calories or how sugary food is:

- Stop eating the unhealthy stuff.

- Go for a run.

I hate the taste of artificial sweetener. Tastes like... i don't know. Chemicals and weird fizzy sweetness that isn't really sweet...?

What really gets me are those commercials about this new "all-natural sweetener, comes from a plant, totally good and health-friendly and blah blah". You know what else comes from a plant? SUGAR.

Ugh. I despise artificial sweetener. xd.png Traditional sugar is so much better, even if it supposedly 'has more calories.' No weird chemicals.

Yeah, me, I'm just wary of artificial chemicals vs. natural sugar. Just get the tubs of straight cane sugar from a health food store and use it sparingly. It's not going to kill you, but the chemicals that haven't been around long enough to know what they do to you? Those might.

Edited by philpot123

I never understood diet soda. If you're on a diet, drink water. Don't like water? Drink home made unsweetened tea. Just because someone thing has "0 calories" does not mean it's healthier. Eating something in smaller portions does not make it healthier. I used to work at a deli and I would always get people wanting food in smaller portions because they're "on a diet". Yet they didn't think twice about the fact they were eating deep fried food. I even suggested getting a sandwich and a nice apple to someone and they just stared at me like I was crazy.

It doesn't matter if it is "diet" or in smaller portions. If you're still eating the same crap, then it's still the same crap.

The thing about fizzy drinks is people always said they were worse for your teeth.

then somebody had the idea that if they made it better for teeth, but worse for the rest of your body, that everyone would be happy.

then they use Sugar free! as an advertising campaign, because they're not legally required to tell you what sweeteners actually do to you.

I hate sweeteners. Sugar and honey for the win.

And try to drink ice tea with honey. It tastes really good, actually!

I hate sweeteners. Sugar and honey for the win.

And try to drink ice tea with honey. It tastes really good, actually!

I prefer English Breakfast Tea with one level teaspoon of honey.

I never understood diet soda. If you're on a diet, drink water. Don't like water? Drink home made unsweetened tea. Just because someone thing has "0 calories" does not mean it's healthier. Eating something in smaller portions does not make it healthier. I used to work at a deli and I would always get people wanting food in smaller portions because they're "on a diet". Yet they didn't think twice about the fact they were eating deep fried food. I even suggested getting a sandwich and a nice apple to someone and they just stared at me like I was crazy.

It doesn't matter if it is "diet" or in smaller portions. If you're still eating the same crap, then it's still the same crap.

I've never actually known someone to drink diet soda because they were on a diet (except my sister who is just young and immature). I know plenty of people who drink it because they like the taste better or because they like the taste and it doesn't hype them up like non-diet soda.

Not saying people don't, just saying there are other reasons. ^^

~

I <3 sweet'n'low.

Never could stand anything sweetened artificially. The taste sticks to my mouth for hours even after brushing and using a strong mouthwash. Honey or raw sugar for me, please.

True, but portion control *is* a big part of it still. Eating too much of something healthy still makes for weight gain too. I've been living the last year on the least healthy diet (as in what I eat, not "diet") and have lost 45 pounds because I'm not stress eating anymore. I may have been stress-eating homemade, low sugar zucchini bread and what we call "Ranger stew"* instead of ho-hos and pasta, but I was still eating too much.

Now my diet is mostly the more typical garbage, but I know how much I need to eat to reach the actual full point rather than "feeling" full. If you feel full before half an hour AFTER you stop eating, you already ate too much and you'll gain weight. It's really incredible how much the human body actually needs versus what society tells us.

*Ranger stew being basically a meat and vegetable stew made of whatever is available, ranging from what you'd expect like beef and potatoes to more random things like dandelion greens and eggs.

Edited by dragon_mando

I've never actually known someone to drink diet soda because they were on a diet (except my sister who is just young and immature). I know plenty of people who drink it because they like the taste better or because they like the taste and it doesn't hype them up like non-diet soda.

Not saying people don't, just saying there are other reasons. ^^

~

I <3 sweet'n'low.

I have actually asked why people drink it before and the "I'm on a diet" response is what I got. I asked why they didn't drink water and it's because water has no "flavor".

I've heard about this, ouch. Guess I'm using real sugar in my coffee from now on.

I have actually asked why people drink it before and the "I'm on a diet" response is what I got. I asked why they didn't drink water and it's because water has no "flavor".

That's actually the way the English thought around the time of colonization tongue.gif drinking water was avoided as best as they could, beer and wine were preferred.

I don't understand that personally. I love water. You get used to it when it's all you have to drink on the trail, although having some good drink mix every now and then is nice too.

And I've always found artificial sweeteners disgusting tongue.gif just the aftertaste and everything.

If someone is that worried about sugar and sweetener in their soda, then they shouldn't drink soda.

I stopped drinking soda years ago and I lost about five pounds.

Besides, water is so much more refreshing.

Back to the subject of sweeteners: they're not just in sodas. They're in energy drinks, too, along with sugar. One can of Rockstar has the same amount of sugar--and more calories--as six Krispy Kreme donuts.

If anything, it's the amount of sweetener people think they have to use that makes these drinks so disgusting.

I wouldn't know, I don't like Coke or Pepsi or that junk. So I wouldn't know.... but I guess if you were that worried about sugar then don't drink it. Water is a lot healtheir.

Artificial sweeteners are disgusting. Especially Splenda... Did you know there's chlorine in that? Eww. Not that I eat sugar that often; I hate almost all sodas. I usually use Stivia, which is all natural.

Artificial sweeteners are disgusting. Especially Splenda... Did you know there's chlorine in that? Eww. Not that I eat sugar that often; I hate almost all sodas. I usually use Stivia, which is all natural.

Eat salt. You just ate chlorine. Mixed with salt. AKA NaCl. It's totally okay to eat any element if it's not in a dangerous form. wink.gif

BTW, did you know they use phosphoric acid as an addictive in cola sodas?

Also, if you put sulfuric acid on sugar, you'll create mineral coal?

On topic:

Sometimes I'm just weird. Instead of putting sugar, I sometimes put a few lemon drops in my drink. It makes the taste funny. Sometimes is way better than sugar or honey, actually.

That's actually the way the English thought around the time of colonization tongue.gif drinking water was avoided as best as they could, beer and wine were preferred.

I don't understand that personally. I love water. You get used to it when it's all you have to drink on the trail, although having some good drink mix every now and then is nice too.

And I've always found artificial sweeteners disgusting tongue.gif just the aftertaste and everything.

Also all types of alcoholic drinks were more sanitary. I have to agree about water though, once you start drinking it there's nothing like it. It tastes like life :|

A study in the journal Diabetes Care found that daily consumption of diet soda was associated with a 36 percent greater relative risk of developing metabolic syndrome and a 67 percent greater relative risk of developing Type 2 diabetes compared with non-consumption.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/...a-hu/index.html

"The new study confirms that it's really differences between people who choose to drink artificially-sweetened beverages – rather than the diet drinks themselves – that is related to type 2 diabetes, endocrinologist Rebecca Brown of the National Institutes of Health told Reuters Health."

The findings are mimicked in rat studies as well. A study in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience found that consumption of products containing artificial sweeteners led to weight gain due to changes in the rat's normal physiological processes of sweets.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80210183902.htm

I can't see what that study says, but the rats ate more food if they had the artificial sweetener.

In addition to this, the presence of constant artificial sweeteners in the diet means you're never really letting your taste buds get a break from the sweet taste you love. The more you drink diet soda, the longer you'll remain trapped in the sugar cycle and continue to crave.

Lots of food with high-fructose corn syrup....

Ooh, I never did like artificial sweeteners. I just think they taste terrible. Plus, the taste lingers in my mouth for what seems like forever. My parents once tried to get me to start drinking one of those artificial sweetened drinks... I didn't have more than one sip.

I'm always quite happy with sugar and whatnot, thanks. ._.;

I'm one of those people. On the rare occasionas I drink soda anyway. Normally I drink water or tea, but if I *am* having a soda it'll be the diet stuff because I prefer the taste.

yeah, odd I know. I just happen to enjoy the taste of things that have a boatload of E-numbers in them.

I wouldn't know, I don't like Coke or Pepsi or that junk. So I wouldn't know.... but I guess if you were that worried about sugar then don't drink it. Water is a lot healtheir.

I don't either. It's nasty crap as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention the acid in it burns my throat upon swallowing. ;A;

And besides I love the taste of tap water. <3

The thing about fizzy drinks is people always said they were worse for your teeth.

then somebody had the idea that if they made it better for teeth, but worse for the rest of your body, that everyone would be happy.

then they use Sugar free! as an advertising campaign, because they're not legally required to tell you what sweeteners actually do to you.

And it's still not any better for the teeth anyway. There's phosphoric acid at least in soda, which leads to enamel wearing down. I think lack of adequate enamel contributes to tooth sensitivity?

[Article on acids in soda]

I wish they would be legally required to tell people what those things do. I still fully don't know myself (though I could google it).

The food industry should also be required to warn people of these "partially hydrogenated oils" they put in food, because those are trans fats and they're some of the worst things for you.

*sigh* Everybody wants to be healthy but the food industry is constantly undermining that goal by failing to disclose this information in an understandable-the-the-masses way. ;A;

===

I hate artificial sweeteners anyway, though. The things taste awful ;A; If I want sugar in a drink I'll just hunt down a sugar cube (or the jar we stick it in...) or do without.

As I said, I wasn't saying there aren't people who don't have that reason. However, it's not the only reason.

I have always been under the impression that sugar is better for you then chemical sweeteners. Granted, you need to eat it in moderation, just like everything else, but common sense says that something natural should be better for you then something manmade. Not sure about Stevia but I think I will still stick with just plain old sugar.