~!~

Allow named dragons to be traded/abandoned

You missed the part in this suggestion where they were asking for growing hatchlings to be able to have descriptions written, and allow said hatchling to be traded/abandoned.

That WOULD be bad, if it were something awful. sad.gif

BUT - if a description isn't approved yet surely it could not transfer ?

I still think that most people would rename to fit their own pattern, so I can't see the point of this. I know I would do that. Even when I have been gifted stuff, and people asked me to use a particular name, the donors always said "only if you like" and sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. A donor can ask, and let the receiver decide. surely ?

I still think that most people would rename to fit their own pattern, so I can't see the point of this. I know I would do that. Even when I have been gifted stuff, and people asked me to use a particular name, the donors always said "only if you like" and sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. A donor can ask, and let the receiver decide. surely ?

That's just it though. Hatchlings who were abandoned/traded with a name could be renamed, and in a lot of cases, would be renamed. But, believe it or not, there are many people who would keep the original name out of novelty or whimsy. For people who don't like the original name, there would always be the ability to change it. But this would add something new and fun to the game for people who would enjoy picking up an already-named hatchling.

It's hard to put exactly into words why I support this. I guess I just feel like it would be "cute" or something, and unless the name is really terrible I'd probably keep the original name.

I have always seen naming a hatchling/dragon as the creation of the dragon-human connection, the point at which the dragon sees itself as "yours". To me, this is why abandoning means losing the name. The connection is broken, and the dragon becomes wild. Added to that, removing the name is not a difficult step to take for trading or gifting the hatchling. So I vote no.

That makes sense, considering they lose their names when they're released, but I think the real reason they lose their names upon release is to free up the name for future use. I don't think an intelligent creature would just forget its name when it stops being called by it, at least not in the time it takes for an abandoned hatchling to find a home.

I see no reason why not. And if you trade a hatchie with a name that you really like, rename it before trading.

l would like to be able to abandon/trade hatchies with names, but I don't want the hatchies to keep their names after abandoning/trading. You might accidentally trade a hatchie with a name you like that the other person also likes, and you can't really do anything if you want the name back.

So basically you're saying that when it reaches the hands of the new owner, the name is automatically erased? I think.

I like that. It just makes everything a bit quicker for the user. And you could put a little warning at the top of the abandon/trade page that says something about your dragon losing its name one someone else obtains it.

I'd be content if it let you see your named dragons in the teleport list, because sometimes I name a dragon hatchling and then see a trade opportunity. I'm lazy, so having to back out of the teleport page, un-name the dragon, and go back to the teleport page is too many clicks.

Same for abandoning.

Very good point. I would be for abandoning or trading named hatchies if the name disappears once gone from your scroll. ^^

So basically you're saying that when it reaches the hands of the new owner, the name is automatically erased? I think.

I like that. It just makes everything a bit quicker for the user. And you could put a little warning at the top of the abandon/trade page that says something about your dragon losing its name one someone else obtains it.

I like this. It's so much better to just have a 'you can abandon or trade hatchies with names, but they'll lose their names.' So much easier.

I like this. It's so much better to just have a 'you can abandon or trade hatchies with names, but they'll lose their names.' So much easier.

But I THINK the idea was that the new owner might like to KEEP the name.

I don't NOT support this; I don't mind one way or the other - except that I might feel GUILTY changing the name to fit my names. I just don't reckon many people would want to. Even for cuteness !

except that I might feel GUILTY changing the name to fit my names. I just don't reckon many people would want to. Even for cuteness !

Why not just incorporate the old name somehow into the new name? Like say I pick up a hatchling named Princess Fluffball. I could easily make that Princess Fluffball Surname, or Tedd's Princess Fluffball, or whatever naming scheme I use. Unless it's something really broad like "I name all my dragons seven-letter words," I feel like that would be easy enough to do.

Why not just incorporate the old name somehow into the new name?  Like say I pick up a hatchling named Princess Fluffball.  I could easily make that Princess Fluffball Surname, or Tedd's Princess Fluffball, or whatever naming scheme I use.  Unless it's something really broad like "I name all my dragons seven-letter words," I feel like that would be easy enough to do.

It would, yes, But if someone didn't WANT to... (and I myself do quite often run into issues with over the length limit as it is.... xd.png)

Edited by fuzzbucket

What's the point of this? You can just remove the name.

The point is to pass a name on so that the new owner can enjoy it.

The other point is that maybe the new owner WON'T enjoy it biggrin.gif

And the OTHER other point is that some people can't be bothered to delete names so thought this was a neat idea as they wouldn't have to bother any more biggrin.gif

The other point is that maybe the new owner WON'T enjoy it biggrin.gif

But changing the name would take but a few clicks? If they don't enjoy it they don't have to keep it.

I want to trade names and this would provide me with a failsafe guarantee of getting the name I want. +1

Don't see the harm in allowing this feature-- I too would find it kind of fun and exciting to pick up a hatchling with a name. Kind of gives it a little personality and even deciding to rename it would not be tedious to do.

I can kind of imagine releasing hatchlings to the AP with names like "*Nine's random AP gift"-- who wouldn't be pleased to randomly see something like =)

*Not that I would ever do something generous like that. Heavens no.

You missed the part in this suggestion where they were asking for growing hatchlings to be able to have descriptions written, and allow said hatchling to be traded/abandoned.

i can say it would really annoy me if i got a growing hatchling only to find it already has a description.

at least we can rename if we don't like a name. but descriptions once accepted are here to stay. I in no way support this idea

the name i can shrug my shoulders, at least i could change that. but not describing hatchlings. especially if i nabbed it from the AP without prior knowledge. try clean up the AP and end up with a description i don't want? no thanks

But changing the name would take but a few clicks? If they don't enjoy it they don't have to keep it.

Absolutely.

But if the description would be stuck (though I don't see why it would, as we CAN change our own) - that would be bad.

Would the name not show in the AP ?

Absolutely.

But if the description would be stuck (though I don't see why it would, as we CAN change our own) - that would be bad.

Would the name not show in the AP ?

I'm sure you could change the description if you didn't like it.

I don't think it would be possible to show the name in the AP. Where would it show? Would it replace the line that says "6 days and 4 hours"?

i can say it would really annoy me if i got a growing hatchling only to find it already has a description.

at least we can rename if we don't like a name. but descriptions once accepted are here to stay. I in no way support this idea

the name i can shrug my shoulders, at least i could change that. but not describing hatchlings. especially if i nabbed it from the AP without prior knowledge. try clean up the AP and end up with a description i don't want? no thanks

You can remove descriptions. Just go into the "Describe" option and erase the description and hit "Submit." The description will disappear immediately.

Most of the responses seem to be "I support this idea because its easier on us and hey why not". Just because it seems easier to us as players does not mean its an easy task as a coder. Very simple ideas may take a lot of effort and coding time and we would never know about it. And if I have to choose between this idea to take up coding time or something thats a really nice game enhancement or new dragon breed or whatever, I would rather it be spent on new game enhancements vs some tiny change because someone doesnt want to take a few seconds to press a button.

Thats not a statement that I feel the people who support this are lazy, its just most of the pro responses seem to be "sure why not its 2 less steps for me". And if I were in charge of the universe that just wouldn't be a good enough reason for me to add it to a list of future changes.

There are also some already existing ways to acomplish this ourselves as players without the coders needing to lift a finger. We have lots of trading threads and there are plenty of people who I've received gifts from that were very specific on why they want the gift to have a certain name theme or to be bred with a certain type of mate or whatever. In fact, if there is not already a thread of "hatchlings with a history or story" there should be. That way when people are wanting to gift their babies but want it to go to someone who understands and will then be happy to carry on the legacy, it will go to a person who would LOVE to do that. I know lots of people can't always get super rare dragons, so instead they choose dragons with a bit more to them than just a good Gen or legacy lineage. They like the idea of a dragon being special and want to carry that torch on with their new baby and then pass it along to the future owners of its own offspring. So if there isn't a thread that already does this, then someone should go start one and then this name passing on to hatchling idea acomplishes all goals it initially wanted to acomplish, as well as creating a place for people who share this desire to meet with others who feel and think the same. So instead of a coding change, you now have a community, which is a much bigger plus in any game.

In a nutshell, I think before we submit this idea for Yes or No, we should consider the resources we already have to acomplish this idea and expand upon it before we submit it as something we want coding resources spent when the most overriding response at this point is "sure why not". I just think our current resources offer a much better solution.

Edited by natayah

^^

This.

I have received a couple of gifts that came with PLEASE name it xyz, unless it REALLY doesn't fit your scheme. Won't that do ?

I really think that rejecting an idea based on difficulty coding/resources spent is something TJ should decide, not the users. Quite frankly, it is something that irritates me somewhat.

And the ability to do something offsite should also not determine whether or not a feature should be implemented. I was here before both the lineage view and progeny view were implemented. However, both these could be accomplished offsite and both were added to the site itself. Had TJ had the view some users do of not adding things that can be done outside the site, we would not have either of these features, and most people would say that at least the lineage viewing was useful.

Edited by Nectaris

I really think that rejecting an idea based on difficulty coding/resources spent is something TJ should decide, not the users. Quite frankly, it is something that irritates me somewhat.

Exactly this. The coder decides what resources to use. We are but discussing suggestions. Even if this thread got a resounding yes please from 100% of the posters, TJ doesn't have to implement it. I'd rather support (or not) ideas based on personal opinion rather than concern over its level of difficulty to code. That's TJ's domain.

Besides, I don't see why this would be so difficult to implement, especially if the name doesn't carry over to the next person. I'm still in favor of the name disappearing if the dragon leaves your scroll. Released frozen hatchlings and adults already do that without you having to manually delete the name first. Why not abandons and trades?

I really think that rejecting an idea based on difficulty coding/resources spent is something TJ should decide, not the users.  Quite frankly, it is something that irritates me somewhat. 

Third'ing this =/ It's better for users to voice their own opinions instead of simply deciding based on what may or may not be true, valid, or even an issue.

Picking up hatchlings with names would be surprising and fun, which is more than enough reason for me to support it =) The when, how, and if it is implemented is of course out of my hands.

I am for this because I enjoy picking up already-named stuff. (In fact I love picking up eggs/hatchlings with bizarrely named parents. Then I get to go WHAT. WHY DID YOU NAME THEM THAT.)