TJ09

2011-10-31 - Happy Halloween

Here I thought it would be something predictable like "ghost dragons"! laugh.gif

Just went and tweaked all my names to change my "Ghosts" to "Shadows." Now, for my sweeties to grow up! wub.gif

It's so beautiful!

And I love the description!!!

I think this breed will be one of my favorites happy.gif

Aww, finally! <3

Great sprites and great idea, a stalker dragon laugh.gif

Thank you to both Nakase and Fiona BlueFire! biggrin.gif

I had a feeling that it might have something to do with shadows, rather than ghosts, because of the egg description. TJ's codes though convinced me otherwise though.

Rare dragons (metallic gold/silver) can breed 52 times a year.. but you will NOT get multi-clutches - only holiday limited edition dragons produce multi-clutches.  Rare dragons give you 1 egg IF you are very lucky and the majority of the time that egg will be the same as the common parent - not the rare parent!

Well, I did once get a multi-egg clutch out of one of my golds, so it can happen. EDIT: I've been informed via PM that this capability used to exist but was eliminated a long time ago. Don't want to give anybody any misleading information. My multi-gold clutch was quite a while ago, and I didn't hear about the rule change. But I don't breed mine often enough or consistently enough to know just how rare it is. From the sounds of it, it's pretty rare. I'm willing to concede, based on your own breeding experience, that metallics produce fewer eggs than holiday dragons. I'm still not sure it justifies putting them into an entirely different rarity category from the holidays, and by and large the fanbase seems to agree. TJ, as far as I'm aware, makes no official classification, so it's open to individual interpretation.

Regardless of what you call them, however, I think my initial point is still pretty sound. Holiday dragons are supposed to be SPECIAL, if you don't like the term "rare." They aren't around every day, and they would be a lot less special if they were dropped, bred, etc. year-round, or if the Cave were flooded with enough of them to ensure that everybody who wanted to lock their scrolls with them got enough eggs to do so.

As for the cave.  Normal cave operation is to generate a set number of eggs and then divide them up between the biomes based on the breed. For holiday's the number of eggs generated for a drop is significantly INCREASED due to the demand caused by the holiday.. so you can safely assume that full drops were occurring in each biome rather than divided up drops.  I estimated from my time hunting in the cave during the holiday and how fast the codes were flying that probably 300-500 eggs were dropping in each biome each hour... whereas during a normal drop you might get about 300 eggs divided up between all 6 biomes

Again, I have to say "maybe" on this one. Unless I'm mistaken (and if I am, I'll be the first to apologize for my cheek), TJ has never released details of "Normal Cave Operation," so you would have no way of making a definitive statement to this effect. Your own observations during the period are valid, but they clash with the observations of many (myself included) that the drops were ending much faster than they used to.

There are multiple ways to account for this apparent speedup of egg distribution:

1) There are fewer eggs (per biome or overall)

2) There are more people (pretty much a given)

3) People are catching more eggs (the egg limit hypothesis)

A special subcase of #2 is that some people are using multiple scrolls to catch eggs. Let's give these people the benefit of the doubt and say that they are doing so to gift the extras to people who are unable to catch them (which in many cases I'm sure is quite correct). In any event, it would have the net effect of running through the number of eggs dropped more quickly, which is exactly what people were complaining about.

Edited by Aliantha

lol One of my gray dragons was named Walking In Shadowz, so I switched it up and now one of my Shadow babies has the name! xd.png

A very beautiful dragon, thank you very much! I'm so glad I've hoarded these! biggrin.gif

I do have a very tiny crit, though, which I very much hope will be taken as constructive, it is intended to be so. The tail between the dragon's butt and the first proper bend looks slightly odd, as if one of the lines is a little too straight. I think it's the lower line - it doesn't quite follow the curve of the upper line. Can anyone else see this, or am I imagining things? It's still a very gorgeous piece of work, even so! smile.gif

I don't know if the naming scheme I thought of is still going to work, but what the hey. I like it.

I love the variety of Halloween dragons that these guys provide-- Vampires, Pumpkins, Black Marrows, and Shadow Walkers have completely different themes, color schemes, and "moods" that display a great creativity. <3

I actually like the adult Shadow Walkers better on a dark background. Might have to switch to the Portal theme for a while.

Absolutely love these adults! ;o After marrows, I just expected most holidays/dragons in general to be a disappointment but these are stunning and will definitely be doing lots of lineages with them happy.gif

What a beautiful and elegant dragon! wub.gif And I'm happy that the lineage image looks good, too.

I hope they don't really disappear for most of the time or something like that...

Wow, the adult Shadow Walker is gorgeous! The spriters did an amazing job! <3

*contented sigh* They are gorgeous. And their description says they mate! What more could one ask for? *goes off to plan lineages*

Interesting breed, looks nice. laugh.gif did expect a ghost actualy, but these are nice!

Wow Fiona BlueFire and Nakase both did an incredible job on these dragons. Thank you both so much for another awesome Halloween dragon! wub.gif And for Fiona BlueFire also congratulations for becoming an official IN Cave Spriter!

I really like the mist that swirls around the dragon.

They look great! Especially because the hatchlings were so plain-looking and then these adults are so detailed. Thanks a lot to the spriters!