TJ09

2011-10-31 - Happy Halloween

We're always short, it seems. However, when we have more than one day catching events, people get annoyed and start asking when the regular drops are going to start...

o.0; You win some, you lose some?

I agree with you completely. There are always the unfortunate souls who wind up with no new eggs, either because they don't know what to expect or their internets are painfully slow.

On the flip side of the coin, there are a lot of people who give away eggs. The Holiday Gifting threads are wonderful for the people who can't seem to catch on their own.

EDIT: If there is anyone on the thread who did not get a Ghost egg, please PM me. Gone! smile.gif

Edited by MindsEye

Whether or not one person found things easy is subjective. In previous years, I found the drops usually lasted 7-8 minutes. This year, I found they lasted 2. So if you weren't there on the drop, no egg. And either way, as every single drop emptied of eggs that quickly, I think it should be obvious that some people went eggless. If that wasn't the case, the biomes would have been blocked. And as it's logical we were short eggs for people, it should also be logical that it wouldn't matter if everyone used the exact same method for clicking eggs. We'd still be as short as we were before.

Last year the biomes didn't exist, though, am I correct? That accounts for the difference in the drops - the eggs were dispersed across six different areas, instead of being in one.

People actually had fewer clickers to compete with, if you look at it that way.

We're always short, it seems. However, when we have more than one day catching events, people get annoyed and start asking when the regular drops are going to start...

That and having it be a work day hurts a lot of us. I work 8 hours plus a 2 hour commute and sleeping/eatting. Plus, Halloween festivities! This year I bred my previous dragons late, so I knew I wouldn't be able to try for eggs until the event was half over. And... my internet in my area went out the exact same hour my eggs were hatching. I only had 2 drops where I had a chance to catch eggs and I'm happy I was able to get them at all. That. Was. Close.

I got 7 and gave 3 away to the gifting thread. Now I'm fighting the urge to see what's trading in the rare center for extra hatchies. /covers eyes

But I'm happy I was able to help some folks that may have been in the same position as I. biggrin.gif

Last year the biomes didn't exist, though, am I correct? That accounts for the difference in the drops - the eggs were dispersed across six different areas, instead of being in one.

People actually had fewer clickers to compete with, if you look at it that way.

You are correct. Last year, all the CB Marrows had to be caught from three little egg spots.

There were fewer users on each biome, this is true, but the mini-drops were almost impossible to catch anything from with the eggs spread so thin.

I remember people being so sick of the snow angel christmas eggs dropping in the cave for so long that some people were resorting to using them as vampire fodder.

You are correct. Last year, all the CB Marrows had to be caught from three little egg spots.

There were fewer users on each biome, this is true, but the mini-drops were almost impossible to catch anything from with the eggs spread so thin.

I guess I don't see the point of arguing about whether it was easier or harder when people /sadface that they didn't get an egg. If there are 11 people and 10 eggs, someone isn't getting one. And by how fast the biomes cleared, somebody came in last. Someone HAS to come in last. It wouldn't matter if TJ automated our scrolls to try every hour on their own. That's just the way it is. The only way to alter the fact that someone is eggless is a gifting thread where people who got more share with people who got less. The cave itself, is just a machine.

i wonder if i should say that i think its amusing that nearly all of the ghost eggs i have, i caught from the 5 minute drops.

all i did was train myself for where exactly the egg image was going to show, hover my cursor there, and click when it popped up in the refresh

Are they ? I found it MUCH easier than last year.

Boy, I didn't! I couldn't even SEE a lot of the drops during the day. I'd go to the Biomes at the top of the hour and sit there, never seeing any eggs dropping. The Ghosts I have were given to me, I wasn't able to catch them. Really kinda totally sucks. I could snag Marrows and Pumpkins from the AP - but only in the last few drops was I able to snag the ONE Ghost I did manage to catch.

So what's the story with not being able to see the drops? WHY did that happen?

So what's the story with not being able to see the drops? WHY did that happen?

the only explanation i can think of is that its possible your clock may be off by a minute or so, since the drops only lasted about a minute or two :|

ETA: also, as someone said earlier, holding ctrl when you press f5 may also have helped, because it might take some browsers a moment to catch up with what is REALLY on the page

Edited by ParticleSoup

Yes that IS an idea. EXCEPT that I thought of that and would go into the Cave ahead of the hour by my clock and sit there, mouse poised. I'm not the only one who had this problem either.

Hatchling will die if it doesn't grow up in: 4 days and 23 hours

Can not wait!

Are they ? I found it MUCH easier than last year.

That. ^

I remember fighting, and fighting, and fighting to get a single yulebuck, and one lone pumpkin. I never was able to get a 2009 Valentine myself - someone on Livejournal was generous enough to gift a hatchie with wings to me.

I remember last year around Halloween I was incredibly busy, and after about three hours I managed to snag four marrows and breed myself one pumpkin - and then forgot, and they all died because I was five minutes too late to put them in an ER. dry.gif I actually quit DC after that anyway, and lo and behold, I come back to find I missed the ribbon dancers, sweetlings, and a whole array of other new dragons. xd.png (And that the 2009 Valentine sprite had been changed - I was shocked and disheartened at that...)

This Halloween event was the perfect display of 'easy' for me. xd.png I caught four ghosts in ten minutes, and then another three or so later on that evening.

Those saying they were hard to catch probably tried early in the day. XP

Edited by digipup

I guess I don't see the point of arguing about whether it was easier or harder when people /sadface that they didn't get an egg. If there are 11 people and 10 eggs, someone isn't getting one. And by how fast the biomes cleared, somebody came in last. Someone HAS to come in last. It wouldn't matter if TJ automated our scrolls to try every hour on their own. That's just the way it is. The only way to alter the fact that someone is eggless is a gifting thread where people who got more share with people who got less. The cave itself, is just a machine.

I'm genuinely not trying to argue. With every drop, there are bound to be disappointed users. I see a lot of posts on this thread from folks who were gifted eggs and wouldn't have gotten one any other way. The Cave may be a machine, but we users are not, and there are a lot of us who spread the love. wink.gif

@ Ayelldee: I think the reason that happened is that they were gone that fast. I saw the hourly drops, for sure, but even with my mad skills and blazing fast internetz I completely missed most of the mini-drops.

I got a nasty argument this morning, where I angered someone by simply saying "Oh, I thought they where easier to catch this year, then last year!"

ohmy.gif

I just have my methods, using fireforx, turning everything off, java, images and other stuff, and I got the eggs i needed, for myself and to gift O.o ....

If I recall, the only reason the marrows were extended and the rows were doubled was cause of the massive glitch errors the marrows had. The marrows (both hatchlings or adults) either became ungendered or did not have any description during the release. From what I heard the top row was also glitched cause no one could grab from that row.

Also, can't wait to see the ghost dragons. :3 I'm really curious as to what their adult forms look like.

I'm genuinely not trying to argue. With every drop, there are bound to be disappointed users. I see a lot of posts on this thread from folks who were gifted eggs and wouldn't have gotten one any other way. The Cave may be a machine, but we users are not, and there are a lot of us who spread the love. wink.gif

@ Ayelldee: I think the reason that happened is that they were gone that fast. I saw the hourly drops, for sure, but even with my mad skills and blazing fast internetz I completely missed most of the mini-drops.

Oh I mean nothing specifically pointed towards you, or I'd have posted your name. I mean the general posts there always are that go into long details about how to set your browsers etc etc. Not that those aren't helpful. To a degree they are. But many of them seem to imply that, hey, with this method I got 7 eggs and you can too! To a point, that isn't exactly true. Cause there aren't enough for everyone to lock themselves. I'm not sure if people understood that we were short on eggs to do that. And maybe if they understand that we were short, they'll think about participating in the gifting threads too. That really went awesome this year biggrin.gif

Heh, we need a Spastic Gifter button to contrast with the greedy hoarder one laugh.gif

Um... does anyone know if those awesome 'grabber 2011' graphics are already designed for this year's Halloween dragon? wink.gif

If I recall, the only reason the marrows were extended and the rows were doubled was cause of the massive glitch errors the marrows had. The marrows (both hatchlings or adults) either became ungendered or did not have any description during the release. From what I heard the top row was also glitched cause no one could grab from that row.

Also, can't wait to see the ghost dragons. :3 I'm really curious as to what their adult forms look like.

Well, TJ's will be hatching in a day or two, so we'll find out soon.

I also found it easier I think. It's hard to compare because it was my first Halloween, but I expected it to be harder than Christmas and Valentine's Day because of the fact that there are no limits for Halloween, but it actually went better than my Christmas and Valentine's hunts. I never went through an hourly drop without filling every available spot. I did gift a few and if I had realised many people had troubles sooner, I would have gifted more, but I had already incubated my first 4 eggs and incubates are too precious to me to waste...

I think we should also not conclude it was impossible to catch for many people because of the number of /sadfaces, because I did talk to a few people that were complaining, and it turned out a lot of them didn't really do all they could to get one.

Some didn't use good hunting techniques despite the fact that there were a lot of useful tips to be found in the happy Halloween-thread, some gave up after one unsuccessful try at an hourly drop, some couldn't be bothered to watch the clock to be in the cave at the right moments (I do agree the 5 minutes drops were a bit short, I tried them a few times and never saw an egg...).

Also, I've read that all the listers in the Halloween gifting thread got an egg from it, so if there's people who didn't get an egg, they missed a chance there...

I really don't think it should be made even easier to get the eggs than it was now, because if everyone gets their eggs within the first 5 minutes they try, this would be a very boring event... I at least was glad I still had something to do by gifting and then catching again...

Fogged my eggs for today. Was suddenly struck by a fear that they would overdose on views while I was away from the computer and hatch sick.

I think it was not impossible to get a single egg. I have a rather slow connection and a slow laptop and I'm not very skillfull at catching - as a matter of fact I missed every additional drop... but with disabled images, java etc I managed to catch 3 eggs during one hourly drop. one more was stolen short after midnight. I could surely get more if I weren't that busy on 31st.