TJ09

2011-10-29 - Spam E-Mail Reporting

I must confess I have been guilty of doing this... I wanted to still be notified, but since I delete them after reading them always and didn't want them in my main inbox; I thought that it wouldn't hurt anything to just have them go in the junk folder. I honestly had no knowledge of the fact that they were being reported, I only thought it would affect me personally.

And just to clarify, if we change our email and no longer mark them as junk from now on, our forums account are assuredly safe then, correct? Recent ones we've "reported" before now, so to speak, won't affect us then?

I must confess I  have been guilty of doing this... I wanted to still be notified, but since I delete them after reading them always and didn't want them in my main inbox;

Most e-mail clients and webmailers let you filter incoming mail by other criteria. You should still be able to send them to your spam folder with a filter, rather than reporting them.

The reason marking an e-mail as spam reports it in some way is basically because there are such utter troves and volumes of spam on the internet these days that just having a handful of people work on the lists of offenders is a bad idea. At best, the report is purely electronic and makes it more likely for the e-mail to be marked as spam for other people using the same service.

(For example, the e-mails from my domain can be either-or depending on season, since they share an e-mail server with many other websites (multi-account host machine), and not all of those use opt-in or double-opt-in methods of e-mailing people, so sometimes, I end up in the same bag as spammers even though all of what I send is opt-in. Not that being opt-in saves you, as this post of TJ shows - because far too few people realise that spam-marking has an effect (which isn't their fault, but nonetheless frustrating).)

Think of it as a quasi-democratic process; your spam vote counts! wink.gif

So be careful with it. smile.gif

[ Edit: I bolded a bit, to make it clearer I'm talking about spam marking in general. ]

Edit II: Just to be clear, though (because on re-reading, I'm not), as much as I'm an advocate of care with spam reporting in general, I hope TJ's reports largely come from people who actually go out of their way to complain about spam e-mails to their providers, not just marking. The fact of the matter is that I don't know what some providers might do with 'simple' marking. They might, as I describe above (and I figure is typical) simply adjust the domain's "spam score" which makes automatic filing as spam more likely. They might also choose to take other action, especially if they're a small provider - and Hotmail and Windows Live evidently may also be doing this.

Edit III: A reason why I hope what I said with Edit II.

Edited by pinkgothic

Ah, that explains the process very well, thank you. And I believe I only marked a message from the forum as spam once or twice, and they were automatically put in my junk folder from then on. It doesn't really matter, point is I should not have been doing it.

Typically I tend to try researching things pretty well before I do anything concerning them, so it was a bit ridiculous of me to not research this matter better. Anyway, I will certainly be more careful with this in the future, and thank you very much! ^^

-(Edited for comma and to fix grammar)

Edited by Daciana_Adena

Never did that as I have PM notifications off already, but thanks for the information!

user posted image

That is what it should look like to have compleate protection from emails from DC forums. Just wanting to show it for people who might be more vissual.

I didnt even know that we got emails from the main cave.

That's my config for every single site I enter. My inbox is sooo full of junk that I sometimes miss important e-mails.

At least it's easy to delete all of them...

I didn't actually know that was how spam reporting worked, interesting. There's been a couple of times I've accidentally marked stuff as spam (not even DC stuff, just stuff in general, by misclicking), so I'll make sure to be more careful from now on. I quite like my DC notifications. Which, incidentally, sometimes don't reach me - does that have anything to do with the misclick on spam reporting, or is that just gmail hating on me? I track three topics, but of those three, there's one that consistently skips out on mailing me notifications. (News, ironically. happy.gif)

Edited by alyelle

Yikes, good to know this could be such an issue. Every once in a while I've had a DC forums message automatically land in my spam folder (usually when I've subscribed to a high-traffic thread or two), but I'd always marked it as not spam - I like me my forum notifications. *g*

In the past I know I've found what I assume are copies of DC PMs in my Junk mail box, generally just keep marking them as not-junk when I find them, but this just seems to be the odd time, as I get and have tons of DC notifications in my regular mail, so don't know what's up with that...

That isn't auto-reported, is it?

I'm afraid I often don't check my emails often, especially this past while.

I think what is happening is people are subscribing to threads (or pm notifications) and have their forum account set up to send them an email anytime posts are made to the threads they are subscribed to (or when they get a PM). Rather than just go into their forum account and reset those configurations to STOP the email notifications they are reporting those emails as spam to their service provider... by reporting them as spam they are more or less telling their service provider that they never agreed to have emails sent to them by the dragoncave which is not true..they did give permission for dc to send such emails they just forget that they can reset their forum account up to stop the emails when they don't want them anymore.

So, to get this straight. Does this apply just to e-mails you mark/filter as spam yourself or not?

I'm asking this because even though most of the e-mails I get from DC go to my inbox, one or two have been sent to spam automatically, so, I'm curious whether I should be worried or not...

i don't *think* anything from here goes into my spam folder. it seems random at times though. i'll go check.

yup, some emails are going to my spam folder and others don't. i don't get it...

well i marked everything from Dragon Cave forums as not spam. so hopefully it'll stop doing that.

Edited by WestWindReborn

I am one who, usually, my mail from here goes to my inbox

but every once in a blue moon, I find one that went to spam box instead

will this be trouble for me? I have them apporved

but for some strange reason one every now and again I find in spam box

I never click anything that says 'mark as spam' when it comes to DC

I have my own little "DC" folder everything goes into. It's an awful lot easier than getting an account banned anyhow smile.gif

Though somehow (not all the time- very rarely in fact) one of those messages end up in a spam or my junk folder... even though I have them all marked as approved and to be sent to the dc folder. So hopefully this will stop since I just made my emails do that again for good measure.

I wanted to subscribe to threads, but every post in a thread sends an e-mail so I finally marked them as spam.

What do I do? I want to keep a few subscriptions but I can't find a setting to make them not e-mail me! I already changed my account setting to not e-mail me because I don't like it. I do not want my forum account banned though.

Edit: For now I've inconveniently unsubscribed everything and switched it...

Edited by Leap

Oh, come on, people. The spam folder is supposed to be for stuff like those scam e-mails that say you were selected as the heir to some dead millionaire on the other side of the world, or adverts for enhancement drugs you don't want or need. That sort of thing.

I have my own little "DC" folder everything goes into. It's an awful lot easier than getting an account banned anyhow smile.gif

sooo just copied you. laugh.gif

no clue you could sort incoming emails like that! Now i got folders for fanfiction.net and Disqus too. gunna make my inbox to so much neater!

I never mark things as spam intentionally, but sometimes when I'm cleaning up my inbox... well. The 'spam' button is right next to the 'delete' button.

It doesn't happen very often, and I've never done it to DC stuff, but... 'worries about it now'.

I never mark things as spam intentionally, but sometimes when I'm cleaning up my inbox... well. The 'spam' button is right next to the 'delete' button.

It doesn't happen very often, and I've never done it to DC stuff, but... 'worries about it now'.

Yeah, same here. XP

Edited by songwithnosoul

I am one who, usually, my mail from here goes to my inbox

but every once in a blue moon, I find one that went to spam box instead

will this be trouble for me? I have them apporved

but for some strange reason one every now and again I find in spam box

I never click anything that says 'mark as spam' when it comes to DC

Same here. I have to keep checking my spam folder every once in a while because forum messages periodically end up there. I always move them back to my main inbox when this happens. I assume that kind of automated spam miscategorization is not the kind of thing that email providers bother you with, right?

There has been a recent surge in users reporting forum e-mails as Spam. When you report a forum e-mail (such as a PM notification) as Spam, your e-mail provider may send a notice to the forum's host, and when that occurs, I am required to block your e-mail address from the forums. This happens most frequently with Windows Live and Hotmail.

In the past, I have dealt with this by working with individual users to replace the e-mail addresses. However, the volume has become so large that I will now be interpreting Spam reports as a clear indication that you no longer wish to have an account and will ban any forum account for which I receive such a report, as well as blocking the e-mail address from being used. Given that I am required to take action by my host, these bans with typically be non-negotiable.

Instead of reporting e-mails as junk or spam, please configure your forum e-mail settings in the User CP.

To be clear: This only applies to the forums, not the main DC site.

I am REALLY confused right now. Can someone be kind enough to explain this to me?

Why aren't we allowed to report a SPAM-message as spam? I can understand if people are reporting regular messages as spam out of spite or ignorance, but I don't get why we will be BANNED for reporting a SPAM message.

Frankly, that sounds rude and mean and unfair.

So basically, if we don't want to get SPAMMED, we just can't have our email shown? That sounds like a pretty serious way to go. I mean, the SPAMMERS are the ones at fault, not use! Why are we being punished?

I hope I'm just completely misreading this. Would someone please explain this to me?

I assume that kind of automated spam miscategorization is not the kind of thing that email providers bother you with, right?

No, shouldn't be, but I can't speak for all providers. (Edit: Seems like it would be shooting themselves in the foot. Really don't see why someone would do that.)

I am REALLY confused right now. Can someone be kind enough to explain this to me?

Why aren't we allowed to report a SPAM-message as spam? I can understand if people are reporting regular messages as spam out of spite or ignorance, but I don't get why we will be BANNED for reporting a SPAM message.

Frankly, that sounds rude and mean and unfair.

So basically, if we don't want to get SPAMMED, we just can't have our email shown? That sounds like a pretty serious way to go. I mean, the SPAMMERS are the ones at fault, not use! Why are we being punished?

I hope I'm just completely misreading this. Would someone please explain this to me?

Let me try and explain: When the Dragon Cave forums send you notifications, don't go to your e-mail provider to complain that you're getting spam messages. Avoid marking the message as spam, too (this shouldn't cause issues either, but see above [and apparently does happen, and Windows Live and Hotmail look like they like to do this]). Generally, you should only mark or report e-mails as spam that aren't e-mails that you chose to get.

(Basically, even if someone is spamming PMs at you on Dragon Cave and you want the notifications to stop, please punish the person who is doing the spamming by reporting it on the Dragon Cave forum, rather than trying to solve the e-mail problem externally.)

And that's the gist of things, far as I can tell.

Edited by pinkgothic