hazeh

Explore!

Would you approve of having this implemented?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

this would be cool. sounds simple enough and the items don't do anything but look pretty. and the ap egg thing sounds alright though i think if it was left out it wouldn't change this much.

and the badge thingy "easter basket" you click on can look like a backpack or little bag thingy - which you carry with you when you go out exploring. anyways, i like this idea a lot. would kill some time when you're totally locked. smile.gif

As long as the items are of no real value and all eggs are common. . . . I wouldn't be too upset if this wasn't implemented, but if it were it could be interesting. Although, I'm worried the items will eventually be worth much more than originally intended.

What do you mean, exactly? There isn't much "worth" invested here, per se. I wasn't going to include a trading option for people to exchange items, so it's completely up to the user. I'm afraid I don't quite understand...

And yes, all the images and icons and whatnot will be user generated. c: They don't have to be anything particularly done for hours on end, I'm sure a speed paint of the areas would be more than acceptable.

it might be hard for slower computers and could lag the site horably. Maybe in the future this would be better, but for now I rather not have it.

Well, really anything could lag the site horribly. It's up to TJ whether or not this is something he would want to increase server size for (if that's the issue?). It shouldn't affect how computer run if they aren't using the option. If they are, the only thing they'd need speed for would be the Colored Caves, but if it's that much of an issue, they can still use the regular caves.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

i am all in favour. No idea if i will use it myself but seeing as it doesn't affect main gameplay i see no reason not to implement it.

What do you mean, exactly? There isn't much "worth" invested here, per se. I wasn't going to include a trading option for people to exchange items, so it's completely up to the user. I'm afraid I don't quite understand...

If an item/dragon has rarity, there is always value. There will always be ":0 You have a (stick)?! Luucky..." Which is annoying. Although no trading will reduce anything like this greatly, you can never get rid of it entirely. I'm worried that certain items will become more valued than our dragons, especially cave blockers.

Edited by ab613

If an item/dragon has rarity, there is always value. There will always be ":0 You have a (stick)?! Luucky..." Which is annoying. Although no trading will reduce anything like this greatly, you can never get rid of it entirely. I'm worried that certain items will become more valued than our dragons, especially cave blockers.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here either. You have to have dragons to hunt for stuff and they won't be in the cave or anything, so what does it have to do with eggs?

You could make that arguement with everything, though. The Halloween-treat, new-release eggs, Leetle Trees, *everything* has a potential for "rarity", especially when it comes to individuals and their personal outlook. That's certainly no reason to dislike a feature.

Well...that's kind of the point of rarity. If it's not rare, why care at all? There'd be no incentive to get anything. I don't think what you're talking about would really affect anything. It could be said about anything; neglecteds, GoNs, Golds, Silvers, Tinsels, Spriter Alts, anything, really.

So I don't really think I see a problem. ^^;

I would say yes, but can the riding/walking thing be optional? I would love to ride on my dragon's back but I also prefer to let it walk beside me (as I imagine all my dragons doing in my dream world)

Sure, I don't see why not. Only dragons physically able for riding will have that option, though x)

/rides off on a frozen pygmy hatchling

Edit: I made an edit to the OP with a text scenario of how I've envisioned Explore to work. ^^

You could make that arguement with everything, though. The Halloween-treat, new-release eggs, Leetle Trees, *everything* has a potential for "rarity", especially when it comes to individuals and their personal outlook. That's certainly no reason to dislike a feature.

I don't dislike this suggestion, I just think that it might create this problem.

Well...that's kind of the point of rarity. If it's not rare, why care at all? There'd be no incentive to get anything. I don't think what you're talking about would really affect anything. It could be said about anything; neglecteds, GoNs, Golds, Silvers, Tinsels, Spriter Alts, anything, really.

Of course I agree, rarity is everything. But the rarer items could/would be more than certain dragons. It is not a real issue, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of less important items being thought more important than certain breeds of dragons.

Of course I agree, rarity is everything. But the rarer items could/would be more than certain dragons. It is not a real issue, I'm just uncomfortable with the idea of less important items being thought more important than certain breeds of dragons.

But how would this have anything to do with the dragons or affect them or their rarity in any way? If items cannot be traded for dragons then what's the problem? If your dragon finds a shiny gemstone /of course/ that will be more valuable than the stick you found the day before, but this doesn't affect the dragons. What exactly is making you uncomfortable? Because I'm honestly just getting more and more confused the more you say that.

But how would this have anything to do with the dragons or affect them or their rarity in any way? If items cannot be traded for dragons then what's the problem? If your dragon finds a shiny gemstone /of course/ that will be more valuable than the stick you found the day before, but this doesn't affect the dragons. What exactly is making you uncomfortable? Because I'm honestly just getting more and more confused the more you say that.

It wouldn't. I just don't like the idea of something else being more valued than what DC was built for. But that doesn't really matter, since I seem to be the only one mildly bothered by it, and, as you said, it would not affect gameplay. Overall, I like this idea, and would use it often if it was implemented. :I

Edited by ab613

I like the idea, as long as usable items are never added to it. The moment I am dependent solely upon a random number generator to get something useful, it loses all fun and becomes a chore at best.

I wouldn't mind items that have the same function as BSAs, so long as they're rarer than the actual dragons.

That makes me think, would items found be fought over like eggs are?

I wouldn't mind items that have the same function as BSAs, so long as they're rarer than the actual dragons.

I wouldn't mind that, as long as there was a way outside of the search to obtain the same function(like the BSA mimics you mentioned). It only would bother me if there was no way to obtain said function outside of luck. With the exception of GoNs(which many can say how fun getting that dragon is), there is nothing that is dependent completely on the roll of the dice, so to speak. If you are breeding for a bred only dragon, you can still find one on the AP, or trade for it. Now yeah, getting an egg from a certain pair is up to the roll of the dice, but that is pretty much your choice in playing, you can still get the same kind of dragon elsewhere, you are just choosing to limit yourself.

Edited by Nectaris

This sounds pretty cool! smile.gif And from reading it I thought of a few things, so let me toss them out there:

- Maybe it's just me, but I'd probably not use some of my 'warrior' dragons for this simply because it would hurt their noble pride if they were defeated by a random wild dragon, haha. Like if you described your dragon as a ferocious hunter and then a random white beat them up or something. So I was thinking that perhaps the breed or age of a dragon could influence how well they did at fighting wild dragons?

Assigning different success levels by breed would probably be a big pain because you'd have to contact all the creators of the breed and some people'd cry foul if any rarer breeds were better at fighting, though, so it'd probably make more sense to focus on just giving benefits older dragons. This is nice for two reasons: anybody can get an old dragon in time, and secondly... this means this could tie into the ascension concept! Ascended dragons could have much higher chances of fighting off wild dragons than non-ascended ones, or something. smile.gif

- And secondly... if frozen hatchies can get certain items due to small size, perhaps pygmies could fall into the same group?

I love the idea!! I see only one problem, I don't know if somebody already said it. If you take a Pygmy with you to explore, it's a bit strange to fight a HUGE Black Warrior Dragon. So, maybe different codes for Pygmies and 'regular' Dragons?? Maybe Pygmies can fight a very agressive Dark Myst??

Edited by Annezor

The concept itself is rather well thought out but I'm not sure I like the idea. The main reason is that I don't see a lot of people using the feature. I would rather something be implement which would be useful to a larger population of the community rather than to just a small group of people. I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but this is my personal opinion. wink.gif

Well the halloween adventure was a huge success.

this idea may have already been seen and approved bu the man TJ. after this halloween adventure i seriously would like more adventures.

The concept itself is rather well thought out but I'm not sure I like the idea. The main reason is that I don't see a lot of people using the feature. I would rather something be implement which would be useful to a larger population of the community rather than to just a small group of people. I'm sorry if I sounded rude, but this is my personal opinion.  wink.gif

I'm curious, what makes you think not many people would use this feature? From the reactions I've received so far, it seems like a good majority would use it for fun.

In response to the Pygmy dragons: Well, just because a dragon is small doesn't mean it's necessarily at a disadvantage. I think it could still work, because to me a pygmy could elude attacks and take nasty bites to the ankles/neck/whatnot until the wild dragon got frustrated and left x) Or something of the sort.

For them being in the same category as hatchlings: I'm not sure. Frozen hatchlings are still young and thus don't have as much stamina as adults, and are probably more likely to find little things that catch their attention than adults who have matured out a bit. That's mainly why I wanted to separate them from the adults, so I'm a bit hesitant to want to put the Pygmies in that same category.

98 pages in the Halloween Haunted House announcement-thread, and that's an "explore" type of feature the same way this suggestion is. I don't think there would be much problem with people not using this feature.

Also, look at how much people used "splash" in order to get that badge, even though the actual action doesn't do anything until you hit that badge-amount. Little fun suggestions like this that aren't serious/needed are definitely a big hit, usually.

Having an explore badge would be neat, too. It can count towards how many dragons you've taken exploring? (Like, many 100 explorations will give you a badge)

^^;

That Halloween thing was awesome. Very, very close to what I had in mind for this, except it just used text links in place of my grid idea.

Also, look at how much people used "splash" in order to get that badge, even though the actual action doesn't do anything until you hit that badge-amount. Little fun suggestions like this that aren't serious/needed are definitely a big hit, usually.

^Pretty much this. I don't think there is anything wrong with making things that are fun, but don't otherwise affect gameplay. I think it is TJ's decision on what to spend his time on, and I think it is rather presumptuous to say that he should be focusing on more "important" suggestions.

Thank you, Nectaris, I get a little ticked when people pull the "Tj should spend his time doing more important things" card. ^^ /adds to OP

Also, I would hope that if people really liked that Halloween Haunt thing, they'd take to this one biggrin.gif Obviously this one would be a little less confusing, hopefully, and not predetermined x)

I stand corrected. tongue.gif As I said, it is my personal opinion. biggrin.gif

((Edited for redundancy))

Edited by Sunwolf