hazeh

Explore!

Would you approve of having this implemented?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mkay, so this was just a little idea that I started expanding in my head from the "More Gameplay" thread.

Feel free to accept or dismiss; but use personal opinion, not what others (like, TJ) say.

First note: This is in no way something you HAVE to do with ANY of your dragons. It's completely optional and nothing is affected if you never use it. (Like never breeding or naming affects anything.)

And please, do not reject the idea based on some of the smaller pieces, I'd like your opinion on the idea as a whole. c:

Please do not whine about "TJ should spend his time doing more important things". You're in no position to tell TJ what he should be doing with his site, so please keep it out of the discussion.

Basic idea:

-You may choose any adult dragon from your scroll and then choose from a list of habitats/ biomes on the map that are available to that species of dragon (I.e., waters will only be found on the coast, stones in the alpine or desert. Most land dragons should be able to go anywhere, though certain options may appear for different dragons. Deepsea might be able to Dive and thus correspond with that Treasure BSA that was proposed, and etc.)

-While exploring, you and your dragon (and this will also correspond to size- if rideable you have the option to sit on their back. If not, they will walk beside you) will walk/stroll/fly/swim through the terrain. If you spot anything of interest, you can click on it and it may be something worth keeping.

-Any object you find in your travels may be saved in an "easter basket" type thing. These items do absolutely nothing, though some will be more rare than others and may be something new for players to strive for.

-While on your travels, you may also come across one of the Biome Caves. There is nothing special about it, so it's just as if you visited the cave yourself, though I'm thinking maybe there could be a background to it that matches the biome you're in with your dragon.

-There runs a chance that you and your dragon stumble upon a Wild Dragon. This dragon either scares you/your dragon off (taking you back to your scroll, and the dragon you just used will be on cooldown, or a period of time before it decides it wants to go back out), or the wild dragon is scared off, leaving perhaps a scale/claw or nothing at all. I don't think there should be fighting, but that's up to TJ.

-I'm also thinking that there might be a chance that you stumble across an egg. Now, don't get me wrong- not spontaneous egg creation. I'm hoping for an egg that has sat on the AP for a certain amount of time, like maybe over ten minutes? So likely it'll be a common egg. However, the egg that you find will have a "raised by" or "adopted by" or whatever note with the name of the dragon you went exploring with. Now, this idea can totally be nixed, it was just something I was like, "Oh, this might be cute". ^^;

-Any other suggestions are welcomed, but please keep it in the realm of possibility and acceptability by the majority of members. (i.e., no adopting dragons from the wilderness, no new/rare dragon eggs, nothing that will impede current game play or affect how users take care of their dragons).

-I'm also thinking of adding frozen hatchlings into the mix, except the amount of space you have to explore is limited and the items you get are limited (plus, 100% chased away by an adult Wild Dragon. Wild Frozens will likely run away because the human is there, so I dunno if those would even show up). But, I'm thinking there may be one or two items that only frozen hatchlings can find because of their teeny size. (either that or they're closer to the ground, ha!) Either that, or they just have a greater chance of finding something.

-You can get duplicates of any items. It will display the number of those items by a teeny number in the corner of the sprite image for that item (either that or the hover text will tell you) in the "basket" or whatever will be used to hold the acquired objects.

For visual purposes, I had in mind a grid of sorts. For each area available for exploring, there will be a nine-square (or however many Tj would want) grid that you can choose where to start off from. Arrows will direct you through each "square" or area to explore in that biome. Items will be laying on the ground or hidden behind rocks (so click on that rock!) or whatever. There don't have to be very many pictures, perhaps three or four, that will alternate with each press of the arrows (in the top hand corner, will label which grid square you're in).

Edit: This may also be set up very similarly to the Halloween Mansion event.

Sound plausible?

Also, I know there is a great urge to use the "TJ said" or "TJ wants/doesn't want" excuse, but please do not pull that here. Just give me your personal opinion. TJ already expressed the fact that he is more than capable of speaking for himself and would prefer people to discuss suggestions based on their own personal opinions.

^^ Thanks guys.

Here's stuff I will add from the thread that will go along with the idea:

Here's a list of things I've already thought about:

-Sticks (firewood, anyone?)

-Dead rats or other small animals that your dragon may take a liking to (white dragon: Lemme heal eet D: *cry*)

-Oddly shaped/colored rocks

-Dragon scales

-pieces of armor?

-Bones, fangs, claws (from human to dragon to whatever)

-Fossils

-egg shells

-shiny things

-Treasure, of sorts (for more rare items). Gold encrusted stuff, jewels, entire skeletons, etc.

Also, I meant to add before that there would be a cooldown of sorts. Dragons will be tired after exploring, or may be too hesitant to venture out if they were chased back home by a Wild Dragon. I'm thinking a period of one or two days might be good, since people with armies of dragons could easily go +500 times according to how many dragons they have on-scroll anyways.

Edits for the Blind players:

The whole idea will be accompanied with text. Take my "battle" scenarios, for example. Sure, maybe the blind folks won't be able to actually see the images- but I pictured something relatively similar to how the main caves are set up, with some physical description of the setting and what's going on with the characters.

i.e:

"You and <insert dragon's name> walk westward through the Forest. The ground is littered with leaves, dirt, and debris.

Oh, what's this? You found a stick! <Insert dragon's name> seems to want it, so you tuck it into your bag."

So we might not need arrows then, but something like:

"Which way will you go?

Left, Right, Forward, Back" (if those options are available for whichever grid piece you're on).

Here are some example scenarios:

Would you like to Explore with Brazen Zalvaris CB?

/clicks Yes

Which are would you like to go? *map appears, along with clickable text links*

[Alpine, Desert, Forest, Jungle, Volcano]

/clicks Alpine

*9-piece square grid appears*

/clicks on grid 5 (center square)

*random picture of trees and a slightly snowy mountain slope appears*

Will your dragon walk beside you or will you ride him?

/clicks "ride"

*overlay picture of the back of a bronze tinsel head (maybe even a sliver of the top of the wings) appears on the alpine picture*

You and Brazen Zalvaris trek across the slope, taking note of the small animals that flee at the sight of the dragon. The area is filled with rocks, sticks, and who knows what else. Will you search for treasure?

/clicks yes

If no treasure to be found: "You rummage through the items on the ground, but nothing appears particularly interesting. Brazen Zalvaris CB seems to want to continue exploring."

If treasure is found: "As you search through the area, you discover a nice Bundle of Sticks sitting on the ground. With a smile you pick it up and stash it in your sack for later."

or "You investigate the foliage and find a peculiar Stone hidden behind a leaf. Brazen Zalvaris CB seems very interested in it and refuses to leave it behind. You tuck it away in your bag for safe keeping."

At the bottom of the page:

Continue exploring? Which direction will you go? *shows arrows and clickable text*

[North, South, East, West]

/clicks West

You and Brazen Zalvaris adventure through the terrain. Upon your arrival, you stop just in time to see a Wild Black Dragon enjoying a meal under a tree. Brazen Zalvaris CB snorts and draws the Dragon's attention.

-With a roar, the Wild Black Dragon jumps up to defend its food, and starts towards you threateningly.

Flee or Stand Ground?

/clicks "Stand ground"

-Brazen Zalvaris CB stands in front of you protectively and bellows back at the Wild Dragon.

50%: The Wild Dragon appears startled by the challenge and swiftly snatches up its meal before disappearing into the mountain side.

50%: The Wild Dragon lunges forwards, and the two dragons clash with great roars of battle. You duck behind a nearby bush to avoid injury and wait for the battle to end.

25%: As the dust settles, you peer over the bush just in time to see the Wild Dragon fleeing into the under growth. Brazen Zalvaris CB is standing triumphantly where the Wild Dragon stood, an odd, shiny (or any other adjective) object clutched in its claws. (semi-rare prize)

25%: As the dust settles, you peer over the bush to see the Wild Dragon scampering off with a growl. Brazen Zalvaris CB snarls after it, and you are certain the dragon will not return. (no prize)

25%: As the dust settles, you peer over the bush to find Brazen Zalvaris CB staggering on its feet, nearly about to topple over. The Wild Dragon growls viciously before turning around and marching out of the area with its meal. You rush over to your friend's side, and decide it's time to go home for some rest. (return to scroll; cooldown of three days)

25%: As the dust settles, you peer over the bush to find Brazen Valvaris CB and the Wild Dragon equally matched, neither backing down. The dragons seem to realize their stalemate and back away slowly from each other. As you watch, the Wild Dragon places something on the ground, snorts, and walks away. (rare prize)

So that's pretty much how I envision the text portion to run. ^^

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

I've always kind of liked the "explore for treasure" type of ideas, but many of those ideas also have components I don't like.

This one sounds pretty interesting, though. I like the grid idea, and I like the thought of non-flying dragons walking beside me *gets a cute mental image*.

What type of things are you thinking of that we could collect?

Here's a list of things I've already thought about:

-Sticks (firewood, anyone?)

-Dead rats or other small animals that your dragon may take a liking to (white dragon: Lemme heal eet D: *cry*)

-Oddly shaped/colored rocks

-Dragon scales

-pieces of armor?

-Bones, fangs, claws (from human to dragon to whatever)

-Fossils

-egg shells

-shiny things

-Treasure, of sorts (for more rare items). Gold encrusted stuff, jewels, entire skeletons, etc.

Also, I meant to add before that there would be a cooldown of sorts. Dragons will be tired after exploring, or may be too hesitant to venture out if they were chased back home by a Wild Dragon. I'm thinking a period of one or two days might be good, since people with armies of dragons could easily go +500 times according to how many dragons they have on-scroll anyways.

omg that made me giggle so much!!

The cooldown is understandable, yeah.

At first I was like "...No." But then I read it, thought about it a tiny bit, and now I think... This might be an okay idea! Totally optional, no in-game bonuses or penalties for using it or not using it, just something fun to do extra. That's the kind of thing I'd be on board with for our dragons!

Without giving an opinion on this (or Search or Hoarding) perhaps find a way to be able tie this in with those two suggestions, as it is very similar? Just a thought. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Yes, more than likely. I haven't really read up on either of those much, but merging the ideas would be totally fine with me x)

I really like this idea. It gives something to do to those who want 'more' to do with their dragons. And those who do want to do this don't have to, it won't affect them at all.

-There runs a chance that you and your dragon stumble upon a Wild Dragon. This dragon either scares you/your dragon off (taking you back to your scroll, and the dragon you just used will be on cooldown, or a period of time before it decides it wants to go back out), or the wild dragon is scared off, leaving perhaps a scale/claw or nothing at all. I don't think there should be fighting, but that's up to TJ.

Far be it from me to say that making something more like Pokemon makes it bad... Heck, I'd like to play a game that's Pokemon but with dragons instead. But I do think that encountering wild Pokemon dragons would make people want to catch them all somehow get them on their scrolls.

I think that this would be a great way to put a battle system in. You could encounter the wild dragon, and he would either run off or attack you. If he attacks you, your dragon has to defend you. The fight wouldn't have to be to the death or even to the KO, just until either you scare the wild dragon off or until you are forced to run away yourself. And maybe if the other dragon concedes defeat without running away, he might placate you by giving you something nice? *shrug*

This would actually tie treasure hunting and stuff into the game really nicely, I like it! Ooh, especially if the battle idea works with it well, too. This looks really nice, indeed, as long as it's all fully optional.

I was thinking something along those lines, Nin.

Like the encounter, it would be a chance thing, so overall the results would come out as; Flee, Fight, or Flight(wild dragon). I just don't want this to get TOO complicated, although this might be a nice addition.

And perhaps it could be a rare prize? Either a rare item, or...ah... it could drop one of those common eggs at your feet? xd.png I dunno.

"As you enter the area, you hear a feral snarl and turn around just in time to see a Wild <insert breed> Dragon staring at you and <insert your dragon's name>. The wild dragon steps towards you threateningly:

-and roars, so you and <insert your dragon's name> immediately turn and make back for home.

-but <insert your dragon's name> stands in front of you and grows back in warning. After a brief stare-down, the Wild dragon decides to leave and disappears back into the foliage/water/sprawling desert.

-but <insert your dragon's name> jumps forwards with a bellow and dives for the Wild Dragon's neck in effort to protect you. You duck behind a nearby boulder/tree/bush to watch, though the two are fighting so intensely you can't make out the victor. As the dust settles, you creep forward to review the battle.

^"Look Closer" button:

1) Soon you make out the shape of the Wild <insert breed> Dragon laying on the ground, with <insert your dragon's name> standing over it triumphantly. As you praise your dragon, the Wild <insert breed> crawls away, leaving something behind in its haste to leave. (rare item~!)

2) Soon you make out the shape of the Wild <insert breed> dragon laying on the ground, but when you move closer it jumps up and scrambles away before you or <insert your dragon's name> can do anything.

3) Soon you make out the shape of your good friend sitting battered and bruised on the ground, but luckily the Wild Dragon doesn't seem interested in spilling any more blood, and leaves you and <insert your dragon's name> with a haughty snort. Hurt from the battle, you quickly urge <your dragon's name> home for some rest.

Edit: The cooldown for injured dragons will also be longer, probably three or four days.

Also, I was thinking; what about having a little area for each dragon on their page that showed/listed what items/encounters/whatever they found/had while exploring?

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

I vote no for one simple reason- this will make the site even *less* blind-friendly. If you can find a way around that, I'll vote yes.

I think it would be easy enough to have all the images be purely for show, and have everything represented in text as well.

Plus, the whole point is that it would be optional, so people who don't want to use the feature don't have to. That could apply just as easily to people who are blind or otherwise handicapped.

I think it would be easy enough to have all the images be purely for show, and have everything represented in text as well.

Plus, the whole point is that it would be optional, so people who don't want to use the feature don't have to. That could apply just as easily to people who are blind or otherwise handicapped.

If something like this is added, absolutely it should be made accessible... There is a difference between me, a seeing person, choosing not to take part in something versus a blind person not being *able* to take part in something because they can't. The AP is already hard enough, we don't need to add in yet another area of the game that they can't access.

Other than that, I like this idea, as long as it's optional! It sounds like it could be quite fun and expand the game a bit :3

Plus, the whole point is that it would be optional, so people who don't want to use the feature don't have to.  That could apply just as easily to people who are blind or otherwise handicapped.

If you could swing it with a blind-friendly option, then that's fine.

But what if they want to but literally can't because their screen-reader can't read it? The AP is 'optional,' but many of my friends who use screen-readers have long since wanted it to have something that makes it blind-friendly.

Edit:

If something like this is added, absolutely it should be made accessible... There is a difference between me, a seeing person, choosing not to take part in something versus a blind person not being *able* to take part in something because they can't. The AP is already hard enough, we don't need to add in yet another area of the game that they can't access.

This.

Edited by stogucheme

The whole idea will be accompanied with text. Take my "battle" scenarios, for example. Sure, maybe the blind folks won't be able to actually see the images- but I pictured something relatively similar to how the main caves are set up, with some physical description of the setting and what's going on with the characters.

i.e:

"You and <insert dragon's name> walk westward through the Forest. The ground is littered with leaves, dirt, and debris.

Oh, what's this? You found a stick! <Insert dragon's name> seems to want it, so you tuck it into your bag."

"Which way will you go?

Left, Right, Forward, Back" (if those options are available for whichever grid piece you're on).

i.e:

"Which way will you go?

I like the way you're doing it now. And...hmm...I just came up with a suggestion of my own.

Edit: Added my (rather ambitious) suggestion to the forum.

Edited by stogucheme

I like the way you're doing it now. And...hmm...I just came up with a suggestion of my own.

It was always supposed to be like that with the texts (besides the arrows), but I should have made that more clear x)

Sure, fire away~!

This is a very interesting idea. It would give me something to do while I'm egg-locked, and I still want to play in the Cave. At the moment I go "window shopping" in the AP, and lurk in the forum to see whats up. I'm already wondering what the pages of the biomes would look like. Maybe we could get some user-submitted images? Of course all art will be copyright to them, just like the beautiful dragon sprites. happy.gif

I absolutely LOVE this idea. I think it's really cute! and if you include all of the advice and ideas in this thread then I bet others will love it too! I really hope this idea Is a success.. wub.gif

As long as the items are of no real value and all eggs are common. . . . I wouldn't be too upset if this wasn't implemented, but if it were it could be interesting. Although, I'm worried the items will eventually be worth much more than originally intended.

i approve~ im up for more gameplay~ but nothing you have to do so this is perfect

it might be hard for slower computers and could lag the site horably. Maybe in the future this would be better, but for now I rather not have it.

I voted "sure" on this. It sounds like it's related to Hoarding and Search, two ideas I've supported for a long time. Yes, totally optional, but it sounds like it could be fun and maybe a little bit like our Trick or Treat games. Except it wouldn't be confined to once or twice a year....