SPQR

What makes a dragon desirable?

What makes a dragon desirable? Ie., why do you pick up/trade/breed certain dragon breeds more than others?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I pick eggs base on how they look~

i will check on lineage but that is not my first prority.

I like giving rare eggs to someone who don't have yet, or maybe uncommon ones.

That is how i get mines when I am newbie smile.gif

I just want to spread the love of these dragon eggs biggrin.gif

For me there are various things that can make a dragon desirable - certain lineage (any pretty finished project, or things I need for lineages of my own) or collection completion or BSAs.

I would not have collected so many weird-lineaged pinks, purples and reds if not for their BSAs, so this BSA definitely makes them desirable.

Rareness itself does not make a dragon desirable to me. BUT I'm a collector - and rareness makes things harder to catch. So while I would not want lots of rares for the sake of them being rares, I'm indeed willing to trade for the hard-to-catch breeds that I cannot catch myself.

I'd be a lot happier if there were no rares, though, and all breeds were distributed evenly. xd.png

And while I enjoy a pretty sprite (and yes, I love love love the Holly sprite and curse its rareness almost daily! xd.png), I do not per se collect more of the dragons I find pretty than of others. (I may be more inclined to do a lineage project around sprites I find pretty, though... but honestly, more often these projects evolve around colour or symbolics than around sprites I actually find pretty.)

Edited by Lastalda

I find even-gen's that are lovely and ordered the best, although CB's are good too. But if it's shiny, then I love it by default... because it's shiny. Sprite prettiness is also a lot to me. I'm personally not a huge fan of some of the sprites, so I don't collect those dragons. Simple as. tongue.gif

I want at least one male and one female of everything too. I also collected a load of pinks and reds because I find their BSAs, in particular, very helpful. I try to get other "rare" things so that I can trade for whatever I still need but can't seem to get myself. I have also recently started enjoying lineages. So, kind of all of the above.

I'm for the pretty sprites? I really like matured Spitfire sprites, as they are actually quite pretty. Perhaps I'll get an army of them? I don't know.

For scroll completion, I've been going for one of every single sprite possible.

This means a male and female adult pair of every gendered breed, all CB.

I'll breed those pairs together to get m, f, and s1 hatchlings, all PB 2nd gen, to freeze.

Even if the breed isn't dimorphic, I still want m and f of everything.

For unbreedables, I've been collecting one adult, one s1 hatchie, and one s2 hatchie (this part of my collection is complete, barring new releases).

Since there are certain sprites I can't get on scroll - discontinued Frill and Bright Pink, and holiday Spriter Alts - I'm collecting 2nd gens from those where possible, 3rd gens where nearly impossible (so far, I'm only counting Nepherim's Sweetling Alt as near-impossible to get a 2nd gen from).

I do have an Incubate army and an Influence army, and have purposefully chosen Magi to use in another checkerboard lineage because of their BSA. That's probably the biggest reason why I'd get more than just a pair of one breed.

I have collected a few other breeds a bit more, to use them in checkerboard lineages. But I like to build my lineages myself, for the most part, and have the parent dragons on my scroll as much as possible.

I don't feel compelled to collect metallics because they're rare, or anything like that. I do have two pairs each of Black and Vine dragons, instead of one, so that I can breed my own 2nd gen Alt pairs.

So, I guess I'd say I value dragons according to how close to CB they are, how pretty their lineage is, and how useful their BSA is if they have one. I have a very soft spot for Holiday dragons and their offspring; but I like any lineage best when it's "perfect" and either PB or obviously patterned, like checkerboard.

Edited by jerusha

I base on prettiness or breeding projects.

My favorite is nebula, I'm trying to make a pure nebula line

thats not inbred.

I like to have a more BSA dragons even if I don't use the BSA (like earthquake)

Other than that, spirtes. I get incredibly jealous of newbies because it seems that a lot of them have more rare dragons than me D: It's because some of the common spirtes are just as pretty as rares so I can't be bothered putting much effort into getting rares.

I usually go for them because of the sprite. I recently (as of six months ago so not that recently) decided to try and collect every dragon in the game. I've almost done that now, so I'm thinking of names and breeding/stealing a dragon to give it to.

Number one is sprite, really. I only have one gold, which I finally just acquired a few weeks ago, because I think the sprite design is very, very meh. On the other hand, I have armies of silvers, blacks, and reds, because I like the way they look, and right now I'm working on armies of greys and hellfires for the same reason. After that, it's a matter of variables. There are very few dragons I refuse to collect even one of, I'm willing to take plenty of most others, but which ones I'm actively seeking depend very much on what I'm looking for at the time.

I usually don't care about lineages (unless I'm gifting one to another user), I sometimes hoard dragons because they're rare (and I want to give their offspring to people), limited edition dragons are nice and actually working for it gives a sense of accomplishment... but just like many people who replied on this thread, sprites. I love the look of the frills, mints and Black Marrows and I don't mind hoarding them. I usually take dragons for my Clear The AP project, which is why I have a load of commons.

If I like the sprite, I tend to have a lot of that breed.

I also like to have a lot of useful BSA dragons around as well.

Breeding projects. I really like planning out a breeding project and then seeing the results as it progresses. Sometimes I go for pretty, but right now I'm focused on breeding.

If you're talking about person to person, i'd say it's a personal thing. I absolutely love Purple Dragons and they're not exactly sought after or rare. However, they hold a high "value" for me as far as trading goes.

But, if you're talking about as a group, I think it's whatever's hardest to get at that time. Remember when Tinsels were rare because there was very few of them? Now Tinsels flood the markets, so to speak, and aren't as valued in trades anymore. Black dragons were one of the most common dragons back when I joined. But, something happened to make them not breed very well anymore and all the sudden they're very valuable. Everyone wants one.

I don't think it's the prettiness of the sprite. I honestly don't. There are some absolutely gorgeous sprites that are very, VERY common.

Well, I only pick up one of each dragon, but if I DID pick up dragons like everyone else, I would pick them up because the sprites were pretty.

Breeding projects. However, since I most often tend to select dragons with pretty lineages and/or dragons with sprites I really like for my breeding projects, those obviously play a role as well. Plus, since it's harder to find rarer dragons like CB blacks, CB stripes, and CB metallics, I almost never have enough of those for my projects, so I'm more often searching for them than I am for CB whites (even though I use whites in my lineages much more than golds or blacks.) So rarity, pretty art, nice lineages, and breeding projects don't necessarily separate easily for some of us. :-)

Mixture of prettiness of sprite and breeding projects for me. I'm collecting Greys at the moment because they're pretty and because I intend to use them for a pretty lineage with whites and with Shadow Walkers. I wanted them for the lineage because they're pretty. So, it's kind of a circle for me. xd.png I started a breeding project for daydreams because the daydream sprite is pretty. @w@ And there goes another circle...

Although, sometimes I do like collecting things for their rarity, like golds and silvers.

The color of a dragon is probably the biggest attraction for me. I tend to prefer deep, rich, vibrant shades of Greens and Reds, with deep yellows and dark blues, rich browns and blacks for contrast. I have Reds and Nocturnes and Vines and Embers. I'm gathering Stripes whenever I can, especially the variants. I love Ochredrakes, Night Glories, Electrics, Thunders, Magmas, Sunstones, Nebulas and Harvests. My collecting on Halloween was most focused on the Marrow. Apart from new releases and rares, the last ones I've been collecting for scroll completion have been the pale blues, just because I'm not drawn to them.

As far as rarity goes, it is still color first, combined with the art work. I love the Tinsel sprites, all three variations, a beautiful design, well colored in all its forms, and I love the color of the old Gold. Silvers? meh. They don't attract me at all, yet I love the Silver Tinsel AND the Shadow Walkers. And yet, if you took the Silver sprite, colored them a deep orange-red, with manes of gold or deep green, I'd have a scroll full of them. Eh, actually, if you left them silver, but changed the pink and blue on them to something dark and vibrant, I'd probably have gotten at least half a scroll full by now.

And then, there is love. My first adult dragon on my return to the Cave, was a plucky little Mint. When I started to write descriptions, his story was so compelling that all my collecting and other stories are based in relation to this quiet little Mint. He's not my favorite shade of green. Mints are cute in a gecko-y sort of fashion, but I don't collect anything else because it's "cute." So, why do I have so many Mints? Can't be anything but love.

It's really pretty subjective, and I bet everyone of us has a different criteria.

Rarity in general

Prettiness of the sprite

Possibility of alts

BSAs

Breeding projects

Limited editions (Holidays, Seasonals)

Special lineages (Thuwed, Dorkface)

+/- Having to work to get the dragon

All of those can make a dragon desirable to me. Rarity can make a dragon desirable since the offspring is often desirable. If I like the looks of a dragon, it can be incredibly common, but I will want it. Different versions of a dragon (Alt Vines or Blacks, Nebulas, Stripes...) make the game more fun. BSA dragons help to make my game play easier, so I need them. Of course I want the limited Holidays, but I also like to get CB Seasonals. Special lineages are also wonderful since they can be used to enhance my own personal lineages.

As for working to get the dragon, I don't really mind it in general, and it will make the dragon more special when I finally get it. But, after some time in trying, I do feel sour to the particular dragon I am working for.

I'm putting in rarity in general as number one with prettiness of sprites coming a close second. Other than that it really depends on what I want at a particular time.

The prettiness of a sprite is the most important thing to make a dragon desirable for me. But there are also dragons I have on my scroll because of their bsa, like purples. I am not a big fan of the sprite but I hoped that their bsa would make breeding easier and so I started to collect a few. I can only hope that mints and balloons will never get a bsa or get rare like Metallics tongue.gif .

Rarity in general is tempting, too. Golds aren't pretty sprites (compared to some others) but we all are trying to get them.

Breeding projects have no influence on what dragons I collect. I only make lineages with dragons I like.

1. Rarity.

2. I'm collecting it.

I basically have everything... so I'm a hoarding Spitfires, foddertinsel, waterwalkers and terraes. And stalking CB hellfires, CB sunsongs, CB nebulas and CB whites.

It's a combination of prettiness and rarity. I might pass over a dragon that I really like, in favor of one that I also like that is rarer, for the simple reason that the rarer dragon is harder to find, and I can easily get the more common one another day.

The exception is new releases, I always try and get as many as I can get while they are still common. It is one of the reasons I have so many trios, I was around for their initial release, and was good at catching them while they showed up rather frequently.

Edited by Nectaris

I think there are many factors. I try to have every dragon (and sprite) once, but of course I try to get more if it has a nice sprite or alts. If it's limited, you try to get one or you need to wait, so this is also an important part.

Depending on the breed, almost all the poll options apply to me.

I want at least 5 of every breed (excluding limiteds of course...) but there are some breeds I collect more of because of breeding projects, rarity, or because I like the sprite.