SPQR

What makes a dragon desirable?

What makes a dragon desirable? Ie., why do you pick up/trade/breed certain dragon breeds more than others?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What the title says.

Why are Greens and Spitfires so unpopular with some people, yet others collect them like mad? Why are pinks and blacks all the rage these days, when they used to block the AP? Why do you have armies of certain dragons and not others?

Personally, it's mostly rarity for me. But I usually trade away the unbreedables that I catch because they can't give me babies. BSA also makes a dragon very desirable IMO. Prettiness of the sprite also has a lot to do with it for me. I want to make an army of Stripes, Nebulas, and Alt Blacks someday.

For me, it's a combination of three things, but I chose 'prettiness' in the poll because that's number one on my list. For example, I don't really like the way Reds look, so I don't have any at all even though they have a BSA. I've also gotten rid of eggs when I discover that their adult selves just aren't that attractive to me.

The second thing on my list is rarity in general. I like rares just as much as the next person, and if there's an interesting-looking rare that I happen to catch or breed, I'll keep it. I don't actively seek out rares anymore, though, not unless you count breeding my Silvers and Golds.

The third thing I tend to think of when I look for a dragon is if I want the dragon. If the answer is 'no' for whatever reason, I just don't get it. I'm very arbitrary when it comes to deciding whether I want a dragon or not. For example, at one point I wanted to breed my lone Split, but now that I have a male Split, I don't want to anymore because I like having just the two of them.

breeding projects are number one. if they look good in a lineage, ill collect them to breed. next would be limited editions like holidays, but only if they have a desirable lineage. i dont have a holly, and im not going to run around asking for any holly, just to own one. id want a nicely lineaged one, or none at all. wink.gif

Ability to fit into my lineage plans. A nice sprite helps, but I'll collect dragons I don't really care for if I can think of an interesting lineage to make with them.

I grab the ones i like the look of, and for personal and group breeding projects. Sometimes i may try and grab a rare to trade with to get what i need but i love my commons smile.gif

Maybe greens, spitfires and greys block the AP due to being 'over common' and a little dull looking. Im working on making a breeding project that should help get those greys + greens outta the AP and onto the Scrolls rolleyes.gif not mission impossible smile.gif

Edited by Saori_Nightstar

If they look awesome then they're desirable, simple as that =P I won't abandon a dragon because I'm not fond of the sprite though, I'll just find other things to collect if I can.

Rarity plays a part too, but not in a positive way. I really love Magmas, for instance, but because they are so rare and difficult to obtain in the cave they're not my number one priority. Same with metallics, blacks, etc. Out of sight, out of mind, I suppose.

Attractive sprites and rarity.

All rare dragons are desirable for me because, well, they're rare. But some rares/uncommons I don't hunt for because I'm not a huge fan of them, like CB Nebulas- they're very sought after but I don't care for them.

Obviously I'm a fan of Pillows, and they're fairly common, but not to the point where they block the cave and flood the AP.

For me, I pick up a dragon based on its appearance (sprite) or how well it fits with a particular name/lineage I have in mind. Unfortunately, some of the dragon sprites I like the most such as silvers and male alt blacks are highly desirable to many other people and as such, are incredibly difficult to get hold of. Makes me really wish I hadn't been so hasty and dropped that black egg one day before it hatched into the AP... it was the last time I had a black egg alt. And it was male. D:

I don't think I actually factor in rarity at all when it comes to my personal 'consumption'. If silvers and ices (my favourite of the trio) were common, I'd be collecting them like crazy. tongue.gif And if I caught a CB gold, I would probably trade it anyway because I don't really like the sprite. I'm more for picking dragons that I think are pretty or have pretty lineages. :3

However, when attempting to trade (I'm honestly not surprised that so many of my trade offers are declined xd.png) or breed gifts for others, I do take rarity into consideration because I know rarity matters to a lot of players.

Hmm, well for me it's a combination of pretty sprites, pretty/epic/pretty epic lineages, and breeding projects, and possibly other things. I also like awesome codes.

Pretty sprites: Too many to name (and some/most are a bit impossible to get) but one dragon I like is the alt Blacks.

Pretty lineages: This one (SAD Sweetling <3) and this one (It has several pages of a perfect staircase!) and this one.

(I almost considered naming that last one Hubynila'ard the Soft /shot)

Breeding projects: MALE CB SILVER >:U

edit

Forgot lineage link for magi

Edited by aquamarine__

For me, it's definitely the visual appeal, or if I don't care for their appearance (the Waterwalkers bug me... they remind me of little green aliens walking around on all fours), the ability to come up with clever names (I renamed my Waterwalkers in a Lovecraftian style, and now I'm ok with them).

I did have a goal to have 2 pairs of every dragon, plus a male & female S2 hatchling & an S1 hatchling. I decided to ditch the extra pair of the dragons I don't like, and start collecting more of the dragons I do like (I like Spitfires. I'm a desert rat at heart, and I love turquoise...), even if they aren't all rare. Of course, I'm not going to be able to fully indulge in that until after Halloween, but it gives me something to look forward to between Halloween & Christmas.

I don't personally care about long lineages or inbreeding, but I weeded out most of my high-lineaged commons and inbreds because I've started to get into trading more, and the people with the shinies don't want long-lineaged or inbred dragons.

Well, Vampires aren't rare any more (only from what I understand at the beginning when they first started out) and I started collected them like mad because they were way different in that they had super cool sprites and didn't "breed" per normal but weren't "unbreedables" either. They bit and turned eggs into their own breed. Sort of like a mama cuckoo bird leaving her eggs in someone else's nest). I still maintain that they're the most dynamic/goth dragon we have and I have have 82 currently. Other players might not care for them or might have one or two so you never know what will make you collect and love a dragon--rare or not.

For me, I'd say rarity and also how well it adds to what I've already collected. I'll probably keep most dragons if they're rare unless I believe I can trade it off for another rare thing that I don't already have.

As for the adding to what I've collected, as you can see I have many more greens and red than some other breeds, most of them dating back to the time when they were still pretty common in the cave. That's because before "influence," all of my red dragons were becoming males, so I was constantly trying to hatch one that would finally be female. As for the greens, it was mostly me trying to find an alt. Still hasn't happened!

There are several things that make dragons desirable to me. I'll always pick up Holiday dragons. I can never have too many BSA dragons, especially Incubate and Influence. Then I have my own breeding project I'm working on, though those involve breeding more than picking up eggs, and I'm a Thuwed collector. I love pb Thuweds or adding a new line of Thuwed to a Thuwed.

I am collecting a full set of each, with 3 pairs of CBs for each breed.

Nothing else matters.

I like variety, but to tell the truth I mostly go by rarity- that is, if I can find a semi-rare. When I first started, I went by egg prettiness. I'm still hitting myself from 'Hmmm... that gold shiny egg is pretty nice, but I like the one sitting on the cloud better.' ARRGH!

Definitely the prettiness of the sprite for me. I hoard goldfish because I love the sprite, and I created my first breeding project because Sunsongs are gorgeous. What attracted me to DC in the first place was the alt black, so pretty. I'm striving for a goal of pretty much an even number of every dragon though. I definitely don't pick by rarity. I think some of the super rares are totally over-rated. Like the tinsels, I didn't like them when they came out, but I've warmed up to them.

Well, I like rares, owning rares is just fun because they're hard to get, but I really like the dragons with great sprite work, I like collecting nebulas and holidays because they have great sprites smile.gif

I like rares, but given the frustrations around getting them, mostly lineage planning.

And I do want a full set of everything biggrin.gif And if I am bored I will pick up pretties smile.gif - and there ARE a couple of breeds I really don't like the look of, so those I don't pick up. (Not dissing anyone's sprites; I know at least one of them is a favourite with others. More power to them. I am fond of balloons. We all have our peculiarities !)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I mostly pick up dragons with a pretty sprite or lineage. I also tend to pick up or breed hoping for an alt vine of black. smile.gif

I pick up dragons I enjoy, mostly. However, I also pick up dragons based on how rare they are, since I can then later trade or gift them. I do not want them for myself, really. I just want to use them as trading.

Im really up to the rarlity, i didn't catch any cb blacks since they was, er, cave blockers despite I like their sprites a lot sad.gif

For me what makes a dragon desirable is the fact that I don't have it.

I'm of a collector mindset, and I call my scroll the Ark, since I'm trying to get two of each, one male and one female. Of course, that was my original plan, but then you have dragons like the nebula that have 4 different sprites, all of which I intend to collect.

There are no rare and common dragons for me. There is only what I have and what I don't have. For the life of me I could not catch an Ember dragon, even though they're listed as common, making them incredibly valuable to me. I didn't have a female mint for AGES because every single one I hatched turned out to be male, even when influenced, so mints became extremely desirable for me.

Now I have most of the commons, just seeking out gender matches, alts, or extra sprites. Which means my focus shifts to the dragons that are really hard to get. I have two zombie fodder dragons on my scroll right now, just biding my time until Halloween. Their replacement eggs are already being incubated. Also on my scroll, one hidden egg, ready to be made into a neglected.

Edited by nambs

I only pick up dragons I want to finish my 'CB collection' and those that I want to use in breeding. I currently have three breeding projects going on so I have a couple of breeds that I consistently go after, and then I have the CB dragons I don't have yet that I'm going after as well.

I go for prettiness smile.gif dragons I love the most are Nebulas, but I don´t have it yet. instead, today I managed to catch a sunsong dragon, and I am satisfied. Funny thing - before sunsong on his place was a dino egg, but before I click somebody else take him. oh well, for me sunsong is better then dino biggrin.gif

Funny to see so many people go for prettiness. It's not like the Gold or Holly dragons have the sprites that get the most praise around here ... just saying. rolleyes.gif