solaflar3

Obesity crisis

Something else I found while looking for the post I wanted:

#thingsfatpeoplearetold red3.blogspot.com/2011/04/thingsfatpeoplearetold-first-24-hours.html (linked for language)

Gaaaaaah some people dent even my ginormous faith in humanity : (

And those weren't even all of them.

I'll admit I cried a bit. TW: "Why would anyone want to rape you?" Just...how can you hold a job? D:

I think I vomited in my mouth a bit in disgust.

It's interesting, my weight likes to bounce between 140 and 160... And my doctor always says the same thing. That I should probably gain ten more pounds. At the moment I do have a little pudge on my belly and I could legally have a flat belly again if I /lost/ 5lbs (currently 160).

However, while I do have health problems, they're not weight driven and appeared when I was still several pounds underweight at 5'6" and 110lbs. And I don't even eat "healthy". I really think people should stop giving generic advice on how to be "healthier" and start paying attention to what their bodies are asking for. I have a fast metabolism so I can eat the foods that might make someone else pack on a few pounds without changing much in size.

Just to put this into perspective. I'm a size 14 if I don't mind skinny jeans, but I prefer a size 16. That makes me a plus size. You can see my ribs and backbone well enough to count them. I look anorexic, but according to the modeling world I'm not thin enough.

Honestly, my biggest problem related to being overweight is finding non-frumpy clothing. sad.gif

And the one guy in my section who constantly insinuates that one of the other girls and I are fat...

One thing that can be done is to fix the 'scale' so a sudden readjustment of BMI doesn't render hundreds of thousands of perfectly healthy people "overweight" overnight. It's a pretty old scale to use in a human population that is constantly growing taller.

Nice way to create a crisis though.

Anyhow, IMHO, if Americans and those starting to eat our horrid diet would eat more good fat, a whole lot less processed stuff, and stopped being so culturally obsessed with skinny to the point that very young people are destroying their metabolism with diets so early, I think we'd be better off.

Personally, I'm more concerned that people in the US and UK get scurvy in this day and age.

This this this THIS.

As a chef, I cook with butter and oil and blah blah blah, but seriously, take a step back at look at that's in that bag of cookies you bought off the shelf compared to cookies I make at home.

Or, hell, here's a better example. That package of white bread on the shelf that's loaded with preservatives and other unnecessary ingredients (bromide, anyone?) is going to be 10x as unhealthy as the bred I made in class today.

Water, active dry yeast, bread flour, eggs, a little salt, a little sugar, and a little butter. That's eight ingredients. Now white flour isn't as good as whole grain, but homemade white bread is leaps and bounds better for you than what you buy in the store.

What would really help in addition to that would be for our government to stop subsidizing farmers to grow corn and instead paid them to just grow fruits and vegetables period.

Asparagus is one of the healthiest vegetables out there, but here in Minnesota, it can cost $5 for a sad looking little bunch. If the price of fruits and vegetables wasn't so damn high I'd get to eat healthy more often. As it is now I hardly eat outside of school because the junk we have around the house is only appealing for so long.

Honestly, I'm overweight, but when I'm not trying to lose weight I just stay as I am. I'm at my set point. I walk everywhere, I do lots of lifting- I just have curves thanks to my genetics and some stress eating done in high school, haha. I eat healthy, especially in comparison to my thinner mother and some of my thin friends.

Honestly, my biggest problem related to being overweight is finding non-frumpy clothing. sad.gif

There are a few stores out there that sell non-frumpy plus-size clothing. Maurice's carries up to a size 24 and has TONS of cute stuff, and TJ Maxx often carries plus-size tops that aren't all that frumpy. They do have a lot of frump, but I find enough nice stuff there for me to keep going back.

There are other places like Lane Bryant, but they tend to be ridiculously overpriced. ._.

I'm overweight, yet strangely, I don't look like I am and I'm actually more athletic than my friend, who weighs less and is taller. It's weird. I'm also perfectly healthy. It makes no sense.

I'm overweight, yet strangely, I don't look like I am and I'm actually more athletic than my friend, who weighs less and is taller. It's weird. I'm also perfectly healthy. It makes no sense.

That's probably because you're more muscular than your friend. Muscle weights more per set volume compared to fat.

I should know. I was in absolute peak condition a couple of years ago and clocked in around 150 lbs. Two years later, after stopping all activity, I've dropped 15-20 pounds without doing a single thing. That would be my muscle degrading and being exchanged for fat, which can take up a lot more room per pound.

It's starting to climb now which is a BAD thing OTL I really need to get into shape again.

I have heard of at least one study lately that shows that being *slightly* overweight can actually be healthier than being an "ideal" weight. The key is slightly, being very overweight or obese remains unhealthy.

I have heard of at least one study lately that shows that being *slightly* overweight can actually be healthier than being an "ideal" weight. The key is slightly, being very overweight or obese remains unhealthy.

I've heard of that too. As long as you're in shape and not a couch potato, a little bit of extra fat and muscle here and there is pretty good.

@Angelkitty - It's not just fat people, though. We're getting a lot better at recognizing that plus-size is beautiful, too, I think. Lately, I've been seeing a LOT more hate generated towards us naturally skinny ones. I'm 168 cm tall, 46 kilograms (5'6 1/2, just under 105 pounds), I'm a size 0. I constantly get called anorexic. People keep telling me to go eat a cheeseburger. My whole family is tall, and we have very fast metabolisms. I can eat virtually anything and not gain a pound. And I'm very athletic, so a lot of my weight is muscle. If fat people can't help but be fat, I can't help but be skinny. And yet people call me ugly, fake, anorexic.

I get called anorexic all the time. I've never eaten much, but I'm perfectly healthy according to a test done very recently and it's my natural weight anyway, having held consistent from day one.

I believe many people now think that having ribs showing means you're underweight. In reality, having ribs showing slightly is an indication you're at the right weight. That's why it irritates (I'd say a stronger word to get nearer the mark, but that'll do) when people say my dragons and creatures look anorexic because their ribs are showing, or any other artwork anywhere else. It irritates because that means by their logic, as I'm often thinner than the creature mentioned, I'm borderline starving.

/end pointless rant

My sister's fallen into the slimming trap. She's been accused of being overweight constantly online, now believes that she is, hates her body for it and keeps trying to lose weight like the media tells her to. Only thing is, she can't, because it's her natural weight. Because of the media's fussing and whining over 'the perfect weight', my sister can no longer take herself for what she is. It deeply saddens me how people's petty opinions can ruin other's wellbeing.