_Z_

Lineage Terminology.

#14 - Silvereclipse

She isn't messy. She is an alternating stair fail or also called a spiral. The prize dragon alternates between male/female and each new rung on the stair is alternating cb male/female.

If she was a prize dragon, it wouldn't be a 'fail' as it would have continued the line.

Stilldream is imbred. J5os is listed twice in the lineage at the base.

Edited by Gruff

Personally, I do use clean to describe dragons that aren't inbred. The only other option is to say "non-inbred". Most of the time that's kinda' a given in lineages, but with messies it's more of a problem so it comes up more with them.

Messy = No pattern, regardless of inbred status.

Inbred = Repeated ancestors, not necessarily messy.

Clean = Not inbred, regardless of how organized or messy the line is.

Not saying that this is right or wrong. It's just how I use them.

Edit: Whoops, someone beat me. :b Not as fast typing on a tablet.

Edited by 11th

In other words, not at all.

I found time to look through your dragons you listed and I think you have some confusion about what a checker is. First I want to say be careful with your two newest eggs, that is a lot of views for an egg with less then 24 hours in this world. Your mistletoe and holly will need to be influenced. The holly should be influenced male to keep the spiral going. The mistletoe can be female for stairstep or male for spiral, if you want to work with even gens checkers see below.

Of the dragons you have listed as checker:

Violetflower is a checker

Autumnguard is a checker though many would see it as messy since he is a different season from the rest of the lineage.

Moonquill is a second gen. Next generation could be alternating checker if you bred it with a male nhiostrife from male lunar herald x female nhiostrife parents. You could also make a spiral by breeding her to a cave born nhiostrife.

Rubyfairy is a stairstep. Most would say she is a tinsel(prize) fail, had she been a tinsel she would be the correct gender to continue the stairstep. With the tombstone in the lineage I don't think anyone would say that is a perfect stairstep line.

Solstice hatchling is a second gen, like what I said with Moonquill though solstice will only have the potential to make normal checkers as they are all one gender.

Winter Magi hachling is a stairstep.

Let me give you some examples of checkers and alternating checkers (which aren't very popular).

Checker: 4th gen Golden Wyvern x Ribbon Dancer every male is the same breed and every female is the same breed with two breeds in the lineage.

Alternating checker: 3rd gen Pumpkin & Seawyrm here the cave born starting line is the same on male and female, in this case male seawyrm with female pumpkin. Next generation the genders are flipped with female seawyrm and male pumpkin. In following generations the genders will flip again. It's a pattern that's a little hard to see in 3rd gen, you can look at the progeny list to see the next generation.

I'm biased towards even gens and don't work with stairsteps all that much so someone else might have more to say about them. And not all even gens are checkers, as you can see with this baby I bred before the seasons changed.

Personally, I do use clean to describe dragons that aren't inbred. The only other option is to say "non-inbred". Most of the time that's kinda' a given in lineages, but with messies it's more of a problem so it comes up more with them.

Messy = No pattern, regardless of inbred status.

Inbred = Repeated ancestors, not necessarily messy.

Clean = Not inbred, regardless of how organized or messy the line is.

Not saying that this is right or wrong. It's just how I use them.

Edit: Whoops, someone beat me. :b Not as fast typing on a tablet.

Thanks for telling me how you use them. Yours is the clearest answer I've gotten, so I'll go with it.

Anyone know some good examples of arrowheads? I've heard of them but I've never seen an actual lineage picture :/.

I can never get inverse arrows and arrows clear, so here's some of both.

Here's two shorter ones stuck together (you can view their parents to see a plain arrow, not two bred together): https://dragcave.net/lineage/gFglO

Here's a longer one: https://dragcave.net/lineage/OVWNK

Here's a shorter one reversed: https://dragcave.net/lineage/Qg1sn / https://dragcave.net/lineage/CsT12

I don't think I have any longer examples. ^^

EDIT: ninja.gif 'd by the lovely xeyla. o3o

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Would a lineage such as this one (660 kb image) be technically possible? blink.gif I suppose no one has an example of such a lineage. tongue.gif If you do, please let me know!

Would a lineage such as this one (660 kb image) be technically possible? blink.gif I suppose no one has an example of such a lineage. tongue.gif If you do, please let me know!

Yes, such a lineage should be technically possible, except that you have mixed up the male and female images in a few cases for the Black Teas and the Sunrises. But as far as the structure of it goes, it is doable.

Yes, such a lineage should be technically possible, except that you have mixed up the male and female images in a few cases for the Black Teas and the Sunrises. But as far as the structure of it goes, it is doable.

Ah, I figured I would have made a few gender mistakes xd.png it was late.

Thank you!

i have seen this term used does purebred mean all of the same breed?

Yes, a purebred lineage consists of one breed. smile.gif I'm not sure myself about your mirror question, but remember that whenever you breed two dragons, the male one comes on top of his mate in the lineage.

Yes, a purebred lineage consists of one breed. smile.gif I'm not sure myself about your mirror question, but remember that whenever you breed two dragons, the male one comes on top of his mate in the lineage.

Thanks for info

Yes, it's a stair with varying caveborn mates.

I need to know what the heck "CL" stands for. I don't think it's a dragon type, but I may be forgetting something. "Celestial"? "Complete Lineage"? "Checker Lineage"? Help me out here.

I need to know what the heck "CL" stands for. I don't think it's a dragon type, but I may be forgetting something. "Celestial"? "Complete Lineage"? "Checker Lineage"? Help me out here.

Considering the post I believe you got that from, I would guess "Cavern Lurker".

If it is a trade post, you should PM the user and ask them. Since they're asking for those lines, that would be the best bet to get an accurate answer. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Considering the post I believe you got that from, I would guess "Cavern Lurker".

If it is a trade post, you should PM the user and ask them. Since they're asking for those lines, that would be the best bet to get an accurate answer. ^^

Oh, I'm dumb, I should have realized that. I'm just so used to calling them "Lurkers" I didn't think about the full name. Thanks, Sock.

Edited by Spiteful_Crow

What would this lineage be considered?

Purebred Striped with unicolor generations?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but what do you call this sort of a lineage? A half-and-half?