White-Sword-Master

Ways to Reduce Viewbombing Attempts

Hide growing things on scroll. As an account setting. Reverse of the current "hide adults on scroll".

This really seems like the ideal solution to me. I don't know why it isn't currently an option.

Hello trying to brain storm here what if on your account setting there was a way to put players names who have viewed your eggs for the first few days. Or the names of the players who have put the eggs in fansites

Example

Player A grabs an new release or rare egg or eggs they hide their scroll and even fog the egg or eggs .Or they were about to fog when something came up where they had to leave realy fast.They come back and see that the egg is dead becouse of so may views. They were egg bombed

Player B finds the scroll or egg or eggs code or codes puts it in so many fansites that it gets egg bombed.

Player A gets upset and thinks that the egg should not have been egg bomded since they took all the precousions. Player A goes to their account setting goes to names of players who have put the eggs in the fansites.The give said names to TJ then. TJ then can deal with said player.

I know there may be flaws but i tried. smile.gif

Hide growing things on scroll. As an account setting. Reverse of the current "hide adults on scroll".

This is the option I've wanted for a very long time. To me, there is no point in hiding my adults, and our eggs and hatchlings really need whatever protections we can give them.

Hello trying to brain storm here what if on your account setting  there was a way to put players names who have viewed your eggs for the first few days. Or the names of the players who have put the eggs in fansites

If you're being viewbombed, seeing who is viewing your egg is most likely not going to do much good at all. Since viewbombing is overwhelming dragons with stats, that means your dragon is also going to get a lot of unique views, which means you're just going to have a very long list of names.

I don't think it's possible to track who entered your dragons into a fansite since you don't have to log into use the fansite. As well, viewbombing is most likely supplemented by also posting on forums.

~

I like the idea of just getting rid of sickness from death. When we were all posting on gaia, sickness was a lot different because we were actively participating in viewing and clicking, so we got a lot higher stats usually. Hatcheries have really changed the game. If we really don't want people to get a buttload of views, we could just limit it - like v:uv is limited by a ratio of 15:1 and adults and frozen things don't get views.

I get that being able to stick eggs in hatcheries right away will change how we raise things, but if they still can't hatch until they have 4 days left...

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

My favourite solution to the viewbombing issue was not to get rid of sickness entirely, but to instead add the amount of time that a dragon is sick to the amount of time it needs to grow up. That way, the dragon can still die from sickness, but only if it's sick for four days straight (pushing the 4d hatch or mature time down to 0d or past it). That encourages actually taking care of your eggs and use of the fogging feature, without that you need to worry about dragon death from view bombing, as long as you pay attention.

Sauce: skauble suggested it in the Discussion on View Bombing thread.

(There's also my view-source whitelist suggestion, but I think skauble's is strictly superior.)

My favourite solution to the viewbombing issue was not to get rid of sickness entirely, but to instead add the amount of time that a dragon is sick to the amount of time it needs to grow up. That way, the dragon can still die from sickness, but only if it's sick for four days straight (pushing the 4d hatch or mature time down to 0d or past it). That encourages actually taking care of your eggs and use of the fogging feature, without that you need to worry about dragon death from view bombing, as long as you pay attention.

Sauce: skauble suggested it in the Discussion on View Bombing thread.

(There's also my view-source whitelist suggestion, but I think skauble's is strictly superior.)

ACTUALLY! I wouldn't be opposedto this.

ALSO! I kind of like the idea where you can mass hide growing things?

Dunno if I would ever need to use it,BUT having the option if needed wouldbenice.

I wonder if a different mechanism could be used to ensure that we log on to take care of our eggs periodically. For example, hatching and growing would need the last "push" aka view by the owner. Multi-tasking at this point so not thinking of potential disadvantages. I searched but did not find a thread having as topic this kind of suggestion.

I wonder if a different mechanism could be used to ensure that we log on to take care of our eggs periodically. For example, hatching and growing would need the last "push" aka view by the owner. Multi-tasking at this point so not thinking of potential disadvantages. I searched but did not find a thread having as topic this kind of suggestion.

I know you weren't thinking of disadvantages at that point but personally, I wouldn't be too big on the idea of growing dragons needing a last push from the owner, because people do lose internet, get horribly ill/wind up in hospital, travel, etc..

I've had multiple moves where currently growing dragons were left unFogged in Silvi's in my enforced absence and it would have really sucked had they all died every time due to my not being able to come online...

Edit: and some of us need to have enough coffee in our systems that we can get ALL of the letters into ALL of the words, lol.

Edited by Syphoneira

The main issue with viewbombing is that we can't force the hatcheries to add anything to their sites since they aren't part of DC itself. So the aforementioned API doesn't do anything because the programmers don't feel like going through the hassle of changing their code to include it, and as long as even one hatchery refuses to add it some viewbombing can happen.

Just gonna throw this out there - maybe instead of removing sickness we can add a BSA that lowers an egg/hatchie's views? Has that ever been suggested? I've seen suggestions that add an immunity to sickness for 1 egg, but that could be abused to potentially remove sickness as a feature for everything you ever raise. Simply reducing views would still require the owner to check in every so often.

Or of course you can just be paranoid and keep everything fogged except when it is at the 4d mark. The occasional check of the scroll is usually enough to catch sickness unless it's a brand-new egg, in which case if it's rare you would've probably already fogged it anyway.

I can see the merits of having sickness as a feature, especially from an RP standpoint. We're supposed to be caregivers, not just hoarders.

Edit - Gah typos.

Edited by Kovia

Well, those mentioned extremes of Fogging until ERing - which guarantee lousy U Views both for the eggs and the fansites probably then not having Viewers run by the owners - or trying to change the fansite systems (which solves nothing because eggs can be Viewbombed on other sites which may well be deadly in very short order) aren't actually necessary.

A lot of us Fog our eggs when we can't watch them; when we're on, our eggs receive Views, we run Viewers to help provide the Views (and especially U Views) the dragons need, and if we had a multi-Fog function so we didn't have to manually one-at-a-time Fog/UnFog up to 21 dragons every time, that wouldn't be such a hassle.

Trade posts stay up while we can check on our dragons, and a note goes up when we break the Teleport to Fog them while we can't.

But as TJ has just stated, the point of Sickness is supposed to be that we have to raise our dragons, not just stick our eggs in fansites (which are foundering because relatively few people are bothering to contribute the Views our dragons need by running Viewers in the background, so that *Unique Views we each can only provide one of to each egg* are waaaaay low,) forget about and let others raise them, as too many people seem to believe is the case.

Personally, I would rather have Sickness done away with, as it doesn't seem to actually make people aware of the needs of their dragons and who, in too-many cases, don't even know enough to keep a fansite Viewer or two of those they're using to run in the background to help ensure there are Views/U Views to raise them - but otherwise, raising awareness of the generally minimal effort it takes to raise dragons as safely as possible ought to be a priority.

What people don't know can kill their dragons.

Edit: if I've left any other whole words out of any other sentences, it will have to wait until this 2nd coffee goes down and circulates to my brain.

Edited by Syphoneira

I must admit that I've quite a philosophical attitude towards view-bombing. The friends that persuaded me to join DC had been view-bombed quite a bit. So they warned me and provided advice on how to minimize the chances of that happening. Afterwards, when I was trying to find information on the subject, I found a post that I'm partially quoting:

And personally, I can totally justify it as an in-game thing: A wandering mischievous stranger, or perhaps a wizard with a grudge, decides to feed your hatchling too much or the wrong type of food (and whatever the equivalent may be for eggs), and they get sick. Since our "views" are basically food. That's how I think of it, anyways.

Since then, I just accept the lore and adopt a defensive stance against those wizards.

Edited by NotBambi

If you're being viewbombed, seeing who is viewing your egg is most likely not going to do much good at all. Since viewbombing is overwhelming dragons with stats, that means your dragon is also going to get a lot of unique views, which means you're just going to have a very long list of names.

I don't think it's possible to track who entered your dragons into a fansite since you don't have to log into use the fansite. As well, viewbombing is most likely supplemented by also posting on forums.

~

I like the idea of just getting rid of sickness from death. When we were all posting on gaia, sickness was a lot different because we were actively participating in viewing and clicking, so we got a lot higher stats usually. Hatcheries have really changed the game. If we really don't want people to get a buttload of views, we could just limit it - like v:uv is limited by a ratio of 15:1 and adults and frozen things don't get views.

I get that being able to stick eggs in hatcheries right away will change how we raise things, but if they still can't hatch until they have 4 days left...

Oh i see your point but we do need something to stop the view bombing i like alot.png of the suggestions on here.

Everyone should be watching out for their eggs, but this is getting to the point where it's like having a mass murderer loose in the community.

No, it's not. It's really not; it's so far from that, statistically. Sickness is almost the least common reason for egg death (second to last, as it happens). I'd say that "murderers" account for less than half of all sickness deaths. This puts intentional killing via egg sickness in far, far last place as far as egg deaths are concerned.

Wouldn't this whole viewbombing problem be fixed if hatcheries just implemented a login-based system using oAuth? And it could be enforced by removing API access from any fansite that doesn't comply with the new system.

No, it's not. It's really not; it's so far from that, statistically. Sickness is almost the least common reason for egg death (second to last, as it happens). I'd say that "murderers" account for less than half of all sickness deaths. This puts intentional killing via egg sickness in far, far last place as far as egg deaths are concerned.

Good to know! It just seemed like the Silver Heralds have been attracting more attention than the norm, so thank you for your response.

@ Sock - Our stats are pretty similar as far as incubating and numbers growing on our scrolls, and I probably only see sickness once or twice a year, usually with a prize in the ER to hatch, although I did pickup an AP Sunset egg that was sick with very high numbers, https://dragcave.net/lineage/6B1XQ. I only unfogged it to hatch and to grow up. I never needed to add another view.

As far as clicks or no clicks, I probably spend more time working with my eggs in order to avoid clicks than most people who are trying to get clicks. Hide/unhide fills my action log most of the time! xd.png

I think there ought to be some sort of vaccine or tonic available for eggs to protect from sickness. Maybe the Mints can brew an herbal cure. rolleyes.gif

My only concern with sickness really is during trades. I can fog them any other time so in that respect I'm practicing reasonable care.

However once they are in a trade if they happen to be viewbombed there is little I can do without canceling the trade, which I feel penalizes me for something that is no fault of my own. I don't like this as I know there are traders who accept the first trade listed that meets their needs and having to cancel, fog, wait and then re-list can lose me that top spot in a coveted trade transaction.

Edited by Tawanda001

I must say, I would like to see eggs in a teleport being immune from views. If you have a trade up and decline an offer, you do occasionally find a dash of hostile viewing... not to mention you get views from people simply looking at the trade.

Wouldn't this whole viewbombing problem be fixed if hatcheries just implemented a login-based system using oAuth? And it could be enforced by removing API access from any fansite that doesn't comply with the new system.

I'm absolutely opposed to having a mandatory second log in at hatcheries. I have to remember enough passwords and waste enough time at log in screens already. Besides, if you stick an egg in a signature at any high traffic forums you can easily view bomb it, and log ins at hatcheries can't stop that. Eggs got sick before hatcheries came along.

I must say, I would like to see eggs in a teleport being immune from views. If you have a trade up and decline an offer, you do occasionally find a dash of hostile viewing... not to mention you get views from people simply looking at the trade.

This would be extremely helpful. I can fog everything else before I go to bed, but I can't fog eggs on teleport. Even hiding our scrolls doesn't protect them, because in order to get trade offers, we have to post them somewhere that people can see them. i.e. somewhere which viewbombers can also see them.

I'm absolutely opposed to having a mandatory second log in at hatcheries. I have to remember enough passwords and waste enough time at log in screens already. Besides, if you stick an egg in a signature at any high traffic forums you can easily view bomb it, and log ins at hatcheries can't stop that. Eggs got sick before hatcheries came along.

I think they meant logging into DC through the fansite - such as utilized by the DC records site. Not having to memorize a second pass.

If I want to force one of my hatchies to gender, which requires view-bombing, I do NOT go to the hatcheries. They, simply put, DO NOT give enough views to kill anything BUT the highest time eggs. You can use the hatcheries to kill 7 day eggs, or 6d 12h eggs... if you want it to take multiple hours (I tried to kill a miss-click once with hatcheries, it came off cooldown before it died >.<). But once you drop below 6 days, you need something that gives a LOT more views than 5 or 6 hatcheries combined. So when I see an egg killed in an hour or two.... I know that whoever did it had to have used a fast forum or something else more time-intensive than hatcheries, because the hatcheries simply cannot give that kinda view-load.

So, since the hatcheries aren't the only way to view-bomb an egg (and aren't the most efficient at it, either), forcing the hatcheries to use an API log-in won't solve the problem of view-bombing. It'd just irritate people.

I had a stalker, not long ago. They kept adding my eggs to hatcheries. You know what? I kept the eggs fogged for the first day and a half.... And then let the would-be murder raise my eggs for me. tongue.gif I can be lazy at times. And keeping my scroll hidden for a week or two caused them to loose interest (though some are far more persistent). And yes, I've already hidden my scroll. One of the fastest ways to get hit by a view-bomber is to post something that will likely irritate someone.

The simple, harsh fact is:

If you are worried about view-bombers, hide your scroll and take your name off your dragons. Then, hide any eggs you trade for or any rares you pick up from the Biomes or eggs from the AP, and even with the current methods, you'll be safe from view-bombers. Its irritating, I know, but there are many not-nice people in the world. Until something better comes along... It sucks but it works.

But TJ, we really do need a way to more easily protect our eggs. It may not seem to affect a lot of eggs, but it IS targeted on the most *valuable* eggs.

What I'd like to see, to make the most at-risk eggs less vulnerable:

- Remove growing dragons from their parent's progeny page (that's how many bred Prizes are found) (but let the parent dragon's owner still see it, though)

- "Fog" eggs in teleport: you can see their lineages and trade them but they can't gain views, and the fog travels with them to their new home

- I'd love something to protect CB Golds and Silvers from the Biomes, because those are almost always targeted for bombing. At this point its so bad that if you get a CB Gold or CB Silver you have to instantly fog it, or be at high risk of the egg being view-bombed.

- BSA: Guard, lets you be pro-active with eggs most likely to attract attention

Some things that would help to prevent scroll-wide view-bombing:

- Multi-fogging

- Scroll hide options: lets you better show your scroll while protecting your growing things (there's a thread about this with a fantastic suggestion you made)

- BSA: Heal, it lets you help eggs that have attracted attention after the fact

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

oAuth redirects you to DC and you log in with your DC details, so there's nothing extra for you to remember. It's also secure. [the hatchery doesn't get access to any private info]

~5 seconds isn't a huge deal. Also, if you let your browser save your login details for DC, logging in with oAuth is as simple as clicking on one of the input boxes and hitting enter/return on your keyboard.

Granted, high-traffic sites are also used for viewbombing, which I forgot about, so yeah, this wouldn't work. Oh well.

oAuth redirects you to DC and you log in with your DC details, so there's nothing extra for you to remember. It's also secure. [the hatchery doesn't get access to any private info]

~5 seconds isn't a huge deal. Also, if you let your browser save your login details for DC, logging in with oAuth is as simple as clicking on one of the input boxes and hitting enter/return on your keyboard.

Granted, high-traffic sites are also used for viewbombing, which I forgot about, so yeah, this wouldn't work. Oh well.

It is still an unnecessary, USELESS, step that I quite frankly don't want to go through. The key thing is that it won't help a thing. Yeah, it might make it a smidge harder for someone to viewbomb, but not by much.

Oh, and it also limits those helping those who say they do want help. Or a friend who knows their friend is suddenly unable to care for their eggs(i.e. real life emergencies).

I would by FAR rather have some sort of BSA protection to use on an as needed basis.

Edited by Nectaris

It is still an unnecessary, USELESS, step that I quite frankly don't want to go through.  The key thing is that it won't help a thing.  Yeah, it might make it a smidge harder for someone to viewbomb, but not by much.

Oh, and it also limits those helping those who say they do want help.  Or a friend who knows their friend is suddenly unable to care for their eggs(i.e. real life emergencies).

I would by FAR rather have some sort of BSA protection to use on an as needed basis.

Couldn't agree more, especially since I and others I know have had internet problems where people have saved each others dragons for them (I'm always a little nervous, though, as if their eggs haven't been entered into fansites for days, they likely haven't been Influenced either - and I'd just die if I ruined an experiment they hadn't Fogged, so I like to write first and wait a day, to see if they CAN answer,) although because some form of protection for growing dragons is so integral to raising them, I'd rather see some sort of generally available scroll Action, as with a choice between a regular and a View-protected Teleport, and an additional option for multi Fog/UnFog built right in and always available to everyone when needed, no matter how new they, or how restrictive their scroll goals, might be.

A number of us only keep trade posts up while we can watch our dragons and like them to pick up numbers as well as is possible so that the new owner doesn't wind up with even fewer U Views than we now normally get, so personally, unless there turned out to be a problem, I'd keep doing that and just break the Teleport to Fog and repost the next day, if necessary.

I think that we should be able to have an option to block chosen sites from posting our eggs.

Like login to your DC, go to options and go to 'block a site from accessing your eggs/hatchlings', type the main address of the site, confirm and now nobody can successively add your things to the given site, even you unless you remove it from your blacklist from your DC's settings.

This way one desn't have to confirm each single adding attempt of their own, and noone can add to more sites than the owner allows. This way only chosen fan/click/hatch sites can be used for dragons of the given user, reducing the view gainign speed

I would hate that, on account of scroll sitters. I am one who travels a lot, and rely on others when I have eggs that couldn't wait to be on my scroll....

Also of course, viewbombing does NOT need a fansite. There are LOADS of other ways to give views.

Edited by fuzzbucket