White-Sword-Master

Ways to Reduce Viewbombing Attempts

But it's not that you're not paying attention. Sickness still tells you, 'hey, you overdid it.' So I think an auto-fog option is good.

ETA: And you could make it that they have to manually unfog their dragons.

In many cases it is exactly that. The point of raising dragons is to look after them. Viewbombing sucks - but autofog for sickness is not the answer. Nor is no views in teleport - as that would be abused by experimenters.

In many cases it is exactly that. The point of raising dragons is to look after them. Viewbombing sucks - but autofog for sickness is not the answer. Nor is no views in teleport - as that would be abused by experimenters.

Still, there are two options: have view-bombing possible, or have newbs not have to worry about their eggs dying of sickness.

...............can you guess what I'm thinking?

If newbs don't have to worry, then what is the point of sickness ? It is there for a reason. As has been pointed out MANY times, this game is not about collecting eggs and then letting them hatch and grow up by a miracle. It is about looking after the dear little things user posted image.

I would not presume to read your mind... wink.gif But I have to say that determined viewbombers have a nasty habit of finding a way.

If newbs don't have to worry, then what is the point of sickness ? It is there for a reason. As has been pointed out MANY times, this game is not about collecting eggs and then letting them hatch and grow up by a miracle. It is about looking after the dear little things user posted image.

I would not presume to read your mind... wink.gif But I have to say that determined viewbombers have a nasty habit of finding a way.

Nasty habits that are destroying the fun of many users' playstyles. At least some sort of word from TJ that if he ever finds these people, he'll destroy them. ;_;

Still, there are two options: have view-bombing possible, or have newbs not have to worry about their eggs dying of sickness.

...............can you guess what I'm thinking?

Actually, the whitelisting idea, especially the individual egg whitelist idea, would completely prevent viewbombing while doing absolutely nothing about sickness.

Actually, the whitelisting idea, especially the individual egg whitelist idea, would completely prevent viewbombing while doing absolutely nothing about sickness.

That would be amazing, but how much code would that take? And what resources would it eat up? :c

I mainly imagine it as a filter applied to each view "if the view comes internal to dragcave or from there or there or there it is applied to the dragon".

Obviously if it takes up too much resources TJ won't do it, but I hope it doesn't since it seems like the best way to deal with viewbombing.

This is how I think it should work:

For a scroll whitelist

• A list accessible through the account page where the elements in the list have checkboxes so you can easily temporarily remove a site from the list
  • You can label each site, so rather than http://www.coup-detat.info/NDER/ I could label it AOND, but have the option to also have the url
  • You can permanently remove an item from the list
  • The fansites have to be able to remove/prevent the adding of eggs that they aren't whitelisted for so they aren't cluttered with eggs that they aren't giving views
  • Absolute default is 'whitelist everything', the setting that comes with the scroll. Also what the setting is set to when "accepting aid" is chosen, since whitelisting specific sites and accepting aid from strangers really doesn't get along well
For an individual egg whitelist
  • Most of the mechanics is the same as above
  • You have a "default" whitelist that is like the scroll whitelist that is applied to each egg and hatchling as it enters your scroll, can be empty [default of no views allowed] or with the site(s) you add every egg to
  • You can then customize each egg's list [if the default is empty, add the sites you want to add that egg to] [if the default has sites, remove those sites or add more if this egg needs more views than average] using the complete whitelist [all the sites you added to your default whitelist as options but don't have checked as well as the ones that are checked] to check and uncheck different sites
  • Each egg's whitelist accessible through the actions page [every list accessible through the account page for convenience?]
Edited by Pokemonfan13

And how much would we feebleminded users have to do ??? xd.png

Also what the setting is set to when "accepting aid" is chosen, since whitelisting specific sites and accepting aid from strangers really doesn't get along well

What about a new message at the bottom, "This user allows you to add their eggs/hatchlings to the following sites:" And it has the names with links to them?

That might work. Depends if TJ wants links to outside sites.

And fuzzbucket, what I'm imagining is pretty simple. It just might not sound that way when I describe it, since I'm describing nuances about how it would work that would just be there as a feature.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Hardly. Because many experimenters use a method relying on view-bombing eggs in teleport (bouncing). Which is why I think that "no views in teleport" is a good idea, after all.

Well, no. Thing is, instead of fogging for the first 6.9 days, you could just put that experiment egg in a teleport, where it would stay, gaining no views.

When I was experimenting I never fogged the eggs, I just got blocker caveborns and hid my scroll. Nobody could find the eggs and they gained no views. x3

Well, no. Thing is, instead of fogging for the first 6.9 days, you could just put that experiment egg in a teleport, where it would stay, gaining no views.

And why would you prefer to do the teleport instead of the fogging? After all, the fogging takes two clicks (or so - actions page => hide), while teleport takes at least 5 plus typing in your password: actions page => teleport => type of teleport =>choose egg =>confirm or account => active transfers => teleport => type of teleport =>choose egg =>confirm). And you'd still have to undo the teleport, just like the fogging. Plus, you couldn't even create an ND this way because the eggs don't turn without views - or do they?

What I'm trying to say is this: Making teleport so that the eggs/hatchlings in teleport limbo don't get any views won't hurt anyone since the same thing can be accomplished with fogging. However, there are two big advantages to changing teleport: First of all, you can still show the lineage, and you can safely trade, even keep up offers over night without having to fear that your little one gets view-bombed. (Imagine this: You have a CB ND hatchling and put it up for trade. You wait for offers over night - and come back to find only a tombstone where your ND has been before...)

Edited by olympe

And why would you prefer to do the teleport instead of the fogging? After all, the fogging takes two clicks (or so - actions page => hide), while teleport takes at least 5 plus typing in your password: actions page => teleport => type of teleport =>choose egg =>confirm or account => active transfers => teleport => type of teleport =>choose egg =>confirm). And you'd still have to undo the teleport, just like the fogging. Plus, you couldn't even create an ND this way because the eggs don't turn without views - or do they?

What I'm trying to say is this: Making teleport so that the eggs/hatchlings in teleport limbo don't get any views won't hurt anyone since the same thing can be accomplished with fogging. However, there are two big advantages to changing teleport: First of all, you can still show the lineage, and you can safely trade, even keep up offers over night without having to fear that your little one gets view-bombed. (Imagine this: You have a CB ND hatchling and put it up for trade. You wait for offers over night - and come back to find only a tombstone where your ND has been before...)

But if you do make it so teleport gives no views it has to be optional. Although I think it was teleport = no views that TJ rejected in that thread he closed.

I guess it would at least be a nice feature for two-way teleports you instigated - if only to make sure the dragon you have up for trade does not get killed while you're waiting for offers.

Bumping this because I've been having a LOT of view bombing when offering on trades. If they're not interested, why not just click "decline" instead of making my hatchie grow up and impossible to trade elsewhere? It's not like I'm offensive by offering 10th gen water walkers on CB metals laugh.gif

Bumping this because I've been having a LOT of view bombing when offering on trades.  If they're not interested, why not just click "decline" instead of making my hatchie grow up and impossible to trade elsewhere?  It's not like I'm offensive by offering 10th gen water walkers on CB metals  laugh.gif

I'd say it's usually the other way around: people with a 10th gen Water Walker view-bomb the CB Metal if the person doesn't accept their Water Walker xd.png

Someone added my eggs to a hatchery last night after I went to bed. The egg in my signature went from 15 views to having a huge hole in it. Yeah, I could've fogged it, but I was trying to trade it. You can't really do both at once.

I think that hiding an egg (so people don't know what it is) should be a separate action from protecting it (as in preventing it from gaining views).

I don't want it built into teleports though, because there are times when I want an egg to hatch while I'm trying to trade it. (The other issue is if the protection is built into teleports then it would require you to have an available magi--strictly speaking I don't think protection from maliciousness should have a barrier)

-----

This is a really old topic isn't it?

I remember posting a suggestion about it - I had an idea of an option which would prevent dragons from getting views (I mean, still viewable but not *getting* Vs/UVs) when it is in a teleport. Would solve a lot, I guess...but TJ posted there saying he didn't see that as a vital addition to the game.

*nods* I agree with you, Rayden, a separate action not connected to teleports would surely come in handy, too.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

Why not just make it so that non-ER eggs/hatchlings can't get more than a certain amount of views per hour at maximum?

NO WAY !

I have just blitzed some tinsels who were being awkward with about 1000 views in an hour. WE need to be able to do that. For - ahem - other reasons too....

I think the only way is vigilance. And hiding things we are concerned about overnight, for instance.

Why not just turn aid off & be responsible about adding your own eggs/hatchlings to view sites? Or have only trusted friends list your scroll?

I mean, is it honestly that hard to do?

Clearly you have never had someone maliciously list your eggs on so many fansites that it's pretty much impossible to find them all and you end up with friends helping to track them down only to end up finding them on sites none of you even knew existed without extensive research. Had to keep everything on my scroll fogged until it went ER, hatch it, then immediately re-fog for over a week because someone was trying to kill my eggs.

I am *very* clearly set to not receive aid, and have been for quite some time now. Only one friend has my permission to list my eggs EVER and only does so if I ask her to due to being unable to tend them myself for any reason... and she has the ability to contact me in an emergency should something she listed get sick.

And before someone goes off on me about "it was probably just someone trying to help you"... every single egg and hatchling I have being added to several sites at first while I'm set to not receive aid, then only my rares being attacked after the first temporary(approximately 12 hours) fog... yeah, that isn't coincidence or someone "just trying to help."

--

I really wish there were some way to force hatcheries into confirming who the user is before letting their eggs be listed if they're set to not receive aid., but I would imagine it would turn into one giant mess with people trying to get around it. Due to the situation mentioned above, I actually had one tinsel egg that I sincerely thought was going to die and no way to prove that I'm not stupid enough to put it in too many hatcheries other than my own word. (Though the fact that my scroll is old enough to have original 2008 vampires probably helps my word a bit, it ultimately still means little when it comes to proving attacks like these.)

As it is, the very act of trying to get offers on any rare/valuable dragon is very difficult due to others' greed and malice. The "if I can't have it, no one can" mentality seems to be spreading fast, and there really needs to be some way to protect our eggs without having to keep them hidden and therefore not in a teleport link waiting for offers.

Even if nothing at all is done about the trading problem, I would VERY much appreciate a way to streamline the process of fogging over a dozen eggs and hatchlings every time I plan to be away from my PC for more than a couple of hours. It's extremely time-consuming as it is... and honestly, I'm not too picky how it's done. A list with check boxes to select which eggs/hatchlings to freeze would probably be the most flexible for the most users, but I would be perfectly content with a "hide all growing eggs/hatchlings" button. If there's something I specifically do not want fogged for some reason, I can manually remove it after. wink.gif

(Edited for weird typo, then again for clarification on some points.)

Edited by keijaidyyn