White-Sword-Master

Ways to Reduce Viewbombing Attempts

But it goes through the fansite, yes? Is it not like we do it now, where we supply username to the fansite and they ask the API to retrieve our things? As long as it's a text box on an external site, I refuse to put my credentials in it. I'm already wary of sites that allow me to log in using my google account.

No, it doesn't go through the fansite. Your credentials only go to DC. There are no text boxes on external sites involved.

But it goes through the fansite, yes? Is it not like we do it now, where we supply username to the fansite and they ask the API to retrieve our things? As long as it's a text box on an external site, I refuse to put my credentials in it. I'm already wary of sites that allow me to log in using my google account.

It would look like this, Lythiaren:

Eggs Around the World Dragon Market

Click the "Click here to log in via the dragcave first." part.

(You don't have to type in your password there if you don't want to, but it will show you what the page looks like, and you can see it's on the dragcave.net domain.)

That way works fine then. But what of automated hatcheries? You know, the kind that many of us use because we don't like having to register to use services, and are also tools of viewbombers?

Edited by Lythiaren

That way works fine then. But what of automated hatcheries? You know, the kind that many of us use because we don't like having to register to use services, and are also tools of viewbombers?

EATW is automated, so I assume the requirement to log in could be extended to cover the auto bits - so...

But for people who accept aid, and who would LIKE others to notice when they were in a lecture and their egg needed a dash of ER ? what would happen for them ?

But for people who accept aid, and who would LIKE others to notice when they were in a lecture and their egg needed a dash of ER ? what would happen for them ?

It would probably end 'accepting help' as we currently know it.

If all the hatcheries were required to use the API log-in, then people who wanted their scrolls to be taken care of would have to rely on trusted friends to post their dragons in times of need - and hope that the privilege doesn't get abused. But, it would make view-bombing more difficult (although not impossible - people do have auto-refreshers).

If all the hatcheries were required to use the API log-in, then people who wanted their scrolls to be taken care of would have to rely on trusted friends to post their dragons in times of need - and hope that the privilege doesn't get abused. But, it would make view-bombing more difficult (although not impossible - people do have auto-refreshers).

True.

That could be a Real Pain ! (I'm OK - I have two trusted sitters for when I travel !)

Maybe it can be programmed this way:

1: enter name in hathery.

2: api check: aid on or off?

3a: if aid on --> back to site/ add eggs/hatchies.

3b: if aid off --> to dragcave for login.

4a: if correct --> to site/ add eggs and hatchies.

4b: if not correct, give message: this user is not accepting aid.

I like this idea, that they'd be able to check if you're accepting aid and require your verification if you aren't.

That way still kind of excludes people with aid off but give certain friends permission, unfortunately. It does say, after all, that it's against the rules to give aid "without permission". But if permission is given but you don't want to give your password out? Then what? The API doesn't know that. >>

I mean, there's plenty of people I'd trust to keep an eye on things and shove my eggs in fansites if they were in trouble, but many of them I wouldn't trust with my password simply because my friends and I are prone to jokingly messing with each other. Because that's... kind of our thing. I wouldn't be surprised if other people were like that with their friends sometimes too.

Edited by Lythiaren

That way still kind of excludes people with aid off but give certain friends permission, unfortunately. It does say, after all, that it's against the rules to give aid "without permission". But if permission is given but you don't want to give your password out? Then what? The API doesn't know that. >>

I mean, there's plenty of people I'd trust to keep an eye on things and shove my eggs in fansites if they were in trouble, but many of them I wouldn't trust with my password simply because my friends and I are prone to jokingly messing with each other. Because that's... kind of our thing. I wouldn't be surprised if other people were like that with their friends sometimes too.

Maybe an aid password could be made? "If you are a friend and do not have the scroll password, please input the Aid Password." (It should probably have a different name, though...

I really agree with this idea...I'd love to have some way to protect my eggs from evil persons. The other day I realize that some user that don't like me just took off all my eggs from the hatcheries.They were low-time eggs and they weren't receiving enough views to hatch.And then I saw why.I was lucky that I could avoid their death in time.

mad.gif

This, combined with having a separate password for aid-actions, sounds like it would be the perfect solution.

This, combined with having a separate password for aid-actions, sounds like it would be the perfect solution.

I absolutely agree on engelina's thing as long as what Marie 9 said above is implemented as well....

Edited by White-Sword-Master

Maybe an aid password could be made? "If you are a friend and do not have the scroll password, please input the Aid Password." (It should probably have a different name, though...

That was quite literally my old suggestion. TJ doesn't seem terribly pleased with it. *points back a page*

hmm, you can have a feature called eggwatch, so when you put your egg on a site or anyone does, if this is checked for your egg, it automatically moniters the amount of views it receives and how quickly it does so, and if its about to get sick you can either have it put the egg on fog until its no longer sick then it unfogs it, or you could give you a sound and/or visual notification that its about to get sick and it can also ask you if you want to fog it and therell be a button to press right in the message!

there! thats sound good?

Reading this with interest.

I have had an egg view bombed dry.gif so, like Fuzzbucket I fog when i'm away for a while, or I give my mate a PM--> An online friend and I scroll sit for each-other.. we have each others passwords in case emergency fogging is needed (like it may have been today rolleyes.gif )

My point is the DC message currently states " Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission" well, I have her permission, and she has mine....

I'd welcome any way of protecting my scroll while being able to give another person certain permissions to perform certain functions (fogging and unfogging)

I don't like the way anyone can add any of my eggs and hatchies to fansites/hatcheries.

TD.x.

PS love the fog all idea.. it takes FOREVER to fog up to 21 items on my scroll.

I like this idea.

When the frills were discontinued, I caught some eggs of them. Someone put them up into different sites - I couldn't sit all the day long at the PC. What happened? Of course, they died!

Other example: there was a click site that wasn't well engineered. Someone put my normal eggs (no emergencies) into the ER. The site owner searched for me, PMed me here in this forum, that I was banned in a rather rude way! rolleyes.gif

So this makes sense to me. I don't want to only trust people I don't know. I want to have the control on my own!

Keep a close eye on your eggs and you'll be fine. Every time you're near a computer quickly check your scroll, you don't even have to log in to do this.

Very rarely someone will try to viewbomb my eggs, when that happens I fog the eggs and maybe even hide my scroll for awhile and they go away.

If you're really paranoid, you can fog your eggs at night while you're asleep and unfog them in the morning. The viewbombs that almost succeeded in killing two of hatchies happened when I was asleep, but they failed because I check my eggs as soon as I wake up. (They were just being jerks, because the two hatchies were common.)

MANY players - especially those in college - HAVE to use proxies.

??? This is surprising. I would absolutely expect it for high school or lower, but college? All the universities and technical schools I know have open internet. They disallow torrents, but as far as websites are concerned, you can go wherever you want. You're legally an adult and they don't use kiddie-censorship on you like they do in high school.

Edited by Arwen17

I like this idea.

When the frills were discontinued, I caught some eggs of them. Someone put them up into different sites - I couldn't sit all the day long at the PC. What happened? Of course, they died!

Other example: there was a click site that wasn't well engineered. Someone put my normal eggs (no emergencies) into the ER. The site owner searched for me, PMed me here in this forum, that I was banned in a rather rude way! rolleyes.gif

So this makes sense to me. I don't want to only trust people I don't know. I want to have the control on my own!

There is a simple way to discourage people entering your scroll on fansites: Keep your scroll and your username hidden!

Of course, you can set your scroll to the "unhidden" status to put your eggs/hatchies on fansites, but hide your scroll once your're done. Sure, people can still add your eggs and/or hatchlings into many fansites, but they have several obstacles in their way:

• They cannot look up your scroll.
  • Thus, they'd need to know the individual codes of your eggs/hatchies from some other source to put them up anywhere at all. This means that, even if someone targets one of your eggs/hatchies, he/she won't be able target all of them at once.
  • If someone seems to target you on a regular basis, it will help if you don't show your username on the dragon's pages. This way, if someone clicks your egg on a hatchery, he won't even know it's yours.
  • Your scroll cannot be added as a whole, but only each item separately. As this is a lot of work, it should discourage well-meaning "helpers".

MANY players - especially those in college - HAVE to use proxies.

??? This is surprising. I would absolutely expect it for high school or lower, but college? All the universities and technical schools I know have open internet. They disallow torrents, but as far as websites are concerned, you can go wherever you want. You're legally an adult and they don't use kiddie-censorship on you like they do in high school.

No - what I meant was not for individuals to get around the net restrictions, but because (as was the case when I was still at work) the main server acts as the proxy, and IP addresses change constantly. It's not that the USER sets the proxy up, but that by going onto the net, you immediately go through one by default.

But people will viewbomb eggs they just missed in the AP or the cave - you can easily get the egg code, or (as happened to a few last week) take against one breed - someone was bombing sunrise/sunsets on several scrolls.... You only have to see them in a fan site to click on them and then set up an autorefresher mad.gif

Vigilance and fog together should do it.

Edited by fuzzbucket

No - what I meant was not for individuals to get around the net restrictions, but because (as was the case when I was still at work) the main server acts as the proxy, and IP addresses change constantly. It's not that the USER sets the proxy up, but that by going onto the net, you immediately go through one by default.

But people will viewbomb eggs they just missed in the AP or the cave - you can easily get the egg code, or (as happened to a few last week) take against one breed - someone was bombing sunrise/sunsets on several scrolls.... You only have to see them in a fan site to click on them and then set up an autorefresher  mad.gif

Vigilance and fog together should do it.

The thing with sunrise/sunsets might be an accident. All that needs to happen is that they turn ER shortly after their 6-hour hatching window. If they are put in an ER (or are on a fansite which auto-ERs the respective eggs), they stay there for up to 6 hours before they can hatch. This way, sun eggs can gain quite a lot of views. (It has happened to me once. The poor thing has 13,690 views as an adult, and had most of them before hatching.)

About eggs people missed in the cave or AP, there's only one way to help with that: Fog the egg, at least for 24 hours. I doubt that people will actually check 24 hours later if they can still viewbomb that egg - if they still have the code, that is.

Edited by olympe

The thing with sunrise/sunsets might be an accident. All that needs to happen is that they turn ER shortly after their 6-hour hatching window. If they are put in an ER (or are on a fansite which auto-ERs the respective eggs), they stay there for up to 6 hours before they can hatch. This way, sun eggs can gain quite a lot of views. (It has happened to me once. The poor thing has 13,690 views as an adult, and had most of them before hatching.)

No, not that day. Sorry - but the owners of at least three of them were well aware of that and had carefully unfogged for the RIGHT MOMENT - and in a matter of about 2 hours they gained 13k views... That is NOT an accident ! It was a nasty day. There were posts from several people with sunset (for those were the ones affected ) lineages screwed over sad.gif.

You mean anyone inside the college network has their internal ip address changing constantly? The external college ip address shouldn't change unless the ISP is providing them with a dynamic IP (and if that's going on, I think sometimes that means its an internal IP address inside the ISP's system and you still appear to have the same IP externally to the rest of the internet.)

Sorry I'm probably getting only one half of the story. What was the problem with a network like this?

Edited by Arwen17

No problem that I know of as such - it was just (I forget exactly why it came up) that if you are on a rotating IP, it CAN look as if you are multiscrolling and getting around being spotted by using a proxy. The same would apply to people viewbombing and using a proxy to hide - it can reflect badly on people who have no choice and are being Ever So Good.

I do know that when I was still at work, occasionally I had to do something special if a secure website detected that I was (involuntarily !!) using a different IP from the one I had used the last time I was there.