White-Sword-Master

Ways to Reduce Viewbombing Attempts

I don't think I've ever lost an egg to viewbombing, but I have had many get sick due to being posted in way too many places.

At one time, I had a program that could track links.. I used it on my website to avoid broken links. If we had an app that would do something similar to see where our eggs were posted, I would certainly use it.

There have been many times that I've picked up eggs/hatchlings from the AP, that were still posted on fansites that I had no clue about.. and after adding them to the fansite I normally use, they got sick from too many views. So being able to find where else my eggs/hatchlings were posted would be very helpful.

I've never needed help raising eggs/hatchlings, so I've always had 'not accepting aid' turned on since it was introduced. But while I'm not worried about malicious intent, knowing that it's possible is just another reason to make sure that I'm the only person posting my eggs/hatchlings.. so I would very much appreciate a way to track where my eggs are posted.

That's perfect, I wish we could have this, because a lot of my eggs and even hatchlings have died this way, and sometimes I take myself off of the accept aid option, because so many people post my eggs!

This needs to be enforced, and the fan-sites need to use this!

The fan sites can do their thing. We are very lucky they exist at all. We do have some responsibility to keep an eye on our own stuff,

I am sure that the time I was viewbombed it was malicious - though I still have no idea why, as they were all commons....

Which is why I fog when I feel at risk and can't be around for a while.

fuzzbucket: But I can't use a scroll sitter for my epic request, no one would, so I'd need a special place......Also, yea, we are fortunate, but aso unfortunate to have fansites.....

But here is something, what if you'd need 5 scroll sitters, or even more, b/c they all begone at the time you'll be gone, then that "unkown person" somehow adds youyr scrolls/codes to sites to everything imaginable, then poof, your eggs are dead....

Or lets say me, I trust no one but me or my family, and they could turn on you b/c you had an egg they didn't have, so they killed it just b/c they could......

What do you do then, they can still do stuf to your scroll b/c they know your info.....I call a scroll sitter a worst idea ever.....

Yes, it is possible you could have 100 scroll sitters of being very nice and watching, but, lets say they were all going to a convention, and they forgot to tell you, and you were gone....

As reason I'm wanting this is b/c where I live on the ranch, and work, I'm gone almost 12-20 hours a day, depending on certain situations....and also wanting it, so when I start collecting CB Moonstones to get 126,720 of them, I'd need a reliable way of making sure none of them die....

Also, even if not illegal, who would seriously go through the time using a proxy to get around a website block just to purposely kill eggs

You say that like it would be a massive inconvenience to do that.

Just Google 'proxy' then pick a hit, any hit, and you'll be good to go shortly.

True biggrin.gifninja.gif

@White-Sword-Master:

I don't get this at all. I have a scroll sitter for when I am away/in transit - I travel a lot (and bless her, she also keeps an eye just in case I get knocked off line.) I ABSOLUTELY trust her. If I didn't. I wouldn't let her NEAR my scroll. If I am home and out for 20 hours - I can - if I need to - fog when I'm out and let everything out when I am around. No problem. You could do the same.

I have a back up one JUST in case she isn't around. You don't need to watch every second; just make sure if there is any sign of nasty stuff, you (or your sitter) fog. AS long as you or they are around when things need to hatch/grow up, to ER them - where is the problem ? They cannot do anything with an "epic project" - they are only allowed to add things to fan sites and fog/unfog as required. So - for instance - when I am travelling for a month - after a week, she doesn't have to/isn't even allowed to do anything !

Edited by fuzzbucket

@fuzzbucket: They are not allowed to doesn't mean they can't

They have your password, poof, gone...then you'd need to change it....

so, lets say you had a tinsel and I was one of your trusted"friends" and they get on with there password, If i was cruel, I would probably kill the tinsel, probably all of them, then get banned, but i didn't care, or maybe I was friend in RL that has none of this, you and I would obviously be enemies ater that, but hey, no one but me in my family in RL knows i have this and I keep it to myself or people will think I'm gay, its said, but its a sad place I live at....

Online friend, sure, why not, they'll get bnned, but they'll do it, just b/c the can....

I don't trust people, i'm sorry, its great you do, but to me, I treat people the way i wanted to be treated and I do there things as such....

@KageSora: I used an proxy to get around, only for facebook, in my highschool, but the thing I hated, the bar that constantly stayed at the top, i hated it....

Edited by White-Sword-Master

@KageSora: I used an proxy to get around, only for facebook, in my highschool, but the thing I hated, the bar that constantly stayed at the top, i hated it....

Some of 'em are less annoying than others. I don't really think that most people would care if they're trying to be malicious to peoples' dragons, though--I mean, it's a fairly small annoyance to most people. If I really felt like being mean, I'd not care about it and just use it.

At one time, I had a program that could track links.. I used it on my website to avoid broken links. If we had an app that would do something similar to see where our eggs were posted, I would certainly use it.

That would also be a solution. that way, we could do something to remove our eggs from sites where we did not post them.

( either because of a not-asked helper, or because the previous owner accidentally for got to remove it. )

I sometimes think it would be nice if I had a seperate password for a friend that only enables them to fog/unfog my dragons.

I always feel uncomfortable with passwords are given to other people even if it's me who's being entrusted with the PW. (I even feel uncomfortable because I know my BF's password to his youtube account - and I've tried to persuade him to change it but he won't.) unsure.gif

@fuzzbucket: They are not allowed to doesn't mean they can't

They have your password, poof, gone...then you'd need to change it....

so, lets say you had a tinsel and I was one of your trusted"friends" and they get on with there password, If i was cruel, I would probably kill the tinsel, probably all of them, then get banned, but i didn't care, or maybe I was friend in RL that has none of this, you and I would obviously be enemies ater that, but hey, no one but me in my family in RL knows i have this and I keep it to myself or people will think I'm gay, its said, but its a sad place I live at....

Online friend, sure, why not, they'll get bnned, but they'll do it, just b/c the can....

I don't trust people, i'm sorry, its great you do, but to me, I treat people the way i wanted to be treated and I do there things as such....

You need new friends. smile.gif Maybe even a new family...

Neither one has done anything bad to me, all the time I have been here. And yes, people CAN - look at the "catchers" who released rares over last Christmas. mad.gif

But the world would be sad if we didn't trust anyone.

The malicious don't even need to know their victims to attack them anyhow.

For example, someone listed my eggs in a bunch of fansites last night and I've had aid turned off since the option first appeared. I found my newly-bred blue stripe in Draghatch, but not in any of the other sites I use, so that tipped me off that someone's "helping" me. As opposed to me simply being forgetful, because when I throw my eggs in fansites I put them in all of them at once.

I've also noticed that since I've made it known that I raise noclicks, suddenly all of my active eggs and hatchlings were ruined. Hell if I know who's doing it. No skin off my back though, I'll just not use them for my assorted nefarious purposes.

Edited by Lythiaren

As someone who had a silver tinsel viewbombed and killed (overnight, before this, I had no issues, and had already managed to raise a gold tinsel without having to fog until it was ER...), I reported it to a mod and was told that its a "rule" to keep the peace and there is nothing that can be done about it because they have no way of knowing who did it.

I would LOVE to have actual methods to keep it from happening... as well as a way of tracking down the person(s) responsible... I feel that rules need to be enforced, and if they can't be enforced, that it really isn't a rule. :/

Just my two-cents on the matter.

@Fuzzbucket: I was implying that severe limits would only allow someone to veiw you your scroll upon your permission, as allow aid lets people see the whole shabang, and deny aid still lets people see your eggs, which then can use a page refresher with a whole bunch of their friends to kill it, and you can't do a thing about it, just sit there and moan, if you do that is.....

And yes, my family is very cruel, and any I find to be friends with, well, lets say if they knew I was on here, they would not be friends anymore......sad world is sad, but thats what you get in this world nowadays....

@Lythiaren: yes, true, wouldn't need even the code, or anything, just have loads of there friends use an page refresher and attack our eggs just b/c they could.....

And yes, my family is very cruel, and any I find to be friends with, well, lets say if they knew I was on here, they  would not be friends anymore......sad world is sad, but thats what you get in this world nowadays....

then maybe it is time to find new friends. to me, anyone who does not respect who i am, including any of my oddities, is not a good friend. ( i have a slight mental handicap. people either accept me the way i am, or they are not worth my energy to be friends with.)

As for this topic, someone mentioned early a gadget thingie to see where your dragons/scroll are/is posted. that way people can do the checking and if necessary removing themselves. not sure how hard it would be to program in.

although a fog all eggs/hatclings button would be handy by now too, since fogging is the only way i currently have to remove my eggs/hatchlings from hatcheries i don't even know they are in. (let alone have the link to... ) and having to fog 7 eggs + a varying amount of hatchlings one by one for as long as needed just to get them removed somewhere... yeah.

Edited by engelina

although a fog all eggs/hatclings button would be handy by now too, since fogging is the only way i currently have to remove my eggs/hatchlings from hatcheries i don't even know they are in. (let alone have the link to... ) and having to fog 7 eggs + a varying amount of hatchlings one by one for  as long as needed just to get them removed somewhere... yeah.

I would support a fog all button. It would require minimal coding in comparison to a full program to check everywhere an egg might be put and would be faster to protect it in the end--because the program idea would only work if you were online anyway and removing a scroll or egg from each fansite would take time eggs and hatchling might not be able to afford in these cases.

Or in cases like me being a dummy and putting several ERs in too many sites at once and having them hatch sick :I

edit: hrrng too early for words. Grammar how do work?

Edited by dragon_mando

Fogging isn't always the answer either. If the egg is sick, fogging it will eventually solve the problem. But eggs can't hatch.. nor hatchlings mature.. when fogged, so if you can't control where they are posted, you wind up losing eggs/hatchlings.

Having a way to track where our eggs/hatchlings are posted would be nice, but might not solve the problem either.

An even better way to solve the problem, would be for the hatcheries to require registration. Then only the owner of said egg/hatchling could post them.

An even better way to solve the problem, would be for the hatcheries to require registration. Then only the owner of said egg/hatchling could post them.

Please no. I have not and will never use a hatchery that requires me to sign up for it. Being required to sign up for all of them means I may as well quit playing because there is no way I can raise anything without them.

I don't think Cinnamin means creating a new account, just that hatcheries should make use of the API login feature, where you log in with your existing DC account to verify your identity.

I don't think Cinnamin means creating a new account, just that hatcheries should make use of the API login feature, where you log in with your existing DC account to verify your identity.

Exactly this.

I would support a fog all button. It would require minimal coding in comparison to a full program to check everywhere an egg might be put and would be faster to protect it in the end--because the program idea would only work if you were online anyway and removing a scroll or egg from each fansite would take time eggs and hatchling might not be able to afford in these cases.

Or in cases like me being a dummy and putting several ERs in too many sites at once and having them hatch sick :I

edit: hrrng too early for words. Grammar how do work?

Support TJ's suggestion then !

I had actually asked for a fog all a while ago - but this would do too, and since it was his IDEA..... wink.gif

kay, I love Cinnamon Dracona's idea, require hatcheries to need your DC Username and Password would be best but I see one problem, how would we enforce them to use it? As I understand my idea would take more programming, but we wouldn't need to enforce them to do it, hence saying; Taking Action In Our Own Hands....

But TJ, if you can enforce the Hatchers to do Cinnamon's idea, that would setle for me and lots of others....

I would really not be comfortable with putting my DC account details into a fansite. It'll be a very simple task to fool people into giving their accounts to people, especially if all fansites were required to take them. Someone could just set up their form so that it stores people's usernames and passwords in a text file before proceeding with the retrieval of eggs and hatchlings, and from the user's perspective it's as if nothing out of the ordinary is going on. And then later they find all their dragons have been released.

That's why the suggestion I'd mentioned on page 1 involved putting a secondary password specifically for fansites, which cannot be the same as the password. You know, like a PIN. Then it's impossible to inadvertently give your credentials to a new fansite with a sneaky owner.

Edited by Lythiaren

Aha, like the EATW Marketplace? Where you log in to the Cave first so you can select which eggs/hatchlings you're listing for trade?

I would really not be comfortable with putting my DC account details into a fansite. It'll be a very simple task to fool people into giving their accounts to people, especially if all fansites were required to take them. Someone could just set up their form so that it stores people's usernames and passwords in a text file before proceeding with the retrieval of eggs and hatchlings, and from the user's perspective it's as if nothing out of the ordinary is going on. And then later they find all their dragons have been released.

That's why the suggestion I'd mentioned on page 1 involved putting a secondary password specifically for fansites, which cannot be the same as the password. You know, like a PIN. Then it's impossible to inadvertently give your credentials to a new fansite with a sneaky owner.

The way API login works, you never actually give your username and password to the fansite, only to DC itself, which then verifies your identity and tells the fan site "hey, they're legit."

As long as people ensure they only enter their credentials on dragcave.net pages, they're safe.