Titan

Relationships!

I got married to my husband in April. We met online and have been together for 12 years, so it was about time! <3

We are a poly couple and like to swing. Hopefully someday we will find a third.

Oh boy how to I put this.

Starting when I came to the new middle school and up until just this past year [so past 4 years], there has always been at least one time where some idiot asks me if I'll go out with them, just to be a jerk or for some stupid contest or something like that.

Yes, I get it. Middle school, most kids will probably be idiots about relationships and things like that. However, thanks to that, I don't think I'll ever be sure if someone is serious when they ask me to be their girlfriend. :L

And it is more than annoying when my sorta friend tells me I should date so-and-so just because "Oh they have red hair like you!" or there's this one idiot that wouldn't stop touching me the first few weeks of school this year. She found out about it and she's like "omg he likes you! You should go out with him!" lolno e.e

There is one guy at school that I know likes me, but no. I'm pretty against him. He was a complete :raptor: to one of my best friends because she's gay and he's more about pointing out every single flaw of mine and insisting I'm wrong than he is about even acting like he likes me for who I am.

On the other hand, I have an online friend and I really like him and he says he likes me. He lives quite a ways north of me and I would die to be able to talk to him, but I never use my phone and if I start now, I'm worried mom will find out, have a cow, and take all of my means of contacting him.

[Note She has insisted to me many times that EVERYONE online is someone just out of jail that would love to find and... do 'things' to me as well as she has insisted that EVERYONE is some 30 year old drug addict living in their mother's basement]

Despite me insisting that he shouldn't get me anything for Christmas, he did anyways and sent it to me on Steam. I even tried "But I can't get you anything for Christmas! D:" and he went ahead and got me gifts anyways, and he said that even my existence is enough a gift for him.

I feel like a total dork about relationships so any advice or good/bad about my online friend would be absolutely angelic.

Seconding Syaoransbear on the Skype thing~

Also, you and I had the EXACT same problem with middle school (mine even continued all through high school). My advice? Ignore the idiots. Don't even give them a glimmer of a chance. Wait for the person you think is right. If this online person seems right, give them a chance. I wouldn't go out with him right away. Wait till you've seen each other and spent time physically with him.

You COULD start going out with him if you see him over Skype, but really, I think it would be best to wait until you truly meet him in person and get to know him better that way.

He sounds like a sweetheart. But your mom DOES have some credibility, at least in being careful about meeting strangers you only met online. It CAN be very dangerous.

I liked my crush back after more than a year. Last year, I wished him 'Happy Birthday' on Facebook in which he responded to with a 'Thank you'. At that time, he was merely my classmate(not my crush) and we interacted a lot due to our projects. I only found out about his crush on me during our last few weeks as classmates.

This April, we ceased being classmates; separated into different classes. We saw each other on campus at times and we waved at each other. Things got awkward during July after he showed up outside the lab during my practical lesson staring and smiling. I was rather shocked by his sudden appearance as I thought that since we were no longer classmates, he would have forgotten about me. I started developing feelings for him after that incident. But our encounters were rather awkward; he stopped smiling at me when he waved to me and I got rather uneasy around him. He still sat outside that lab when I was having lessons.

Yesterday, it was his birthday. Unlike last year, I hesitated before posting a Happy Birthday wish on his Facebook wall due to the awkwardness between us. I saw him online a few times on that day but he never responded to my post along with the other FB friends who wished him Happy Birthday. I'm pretty sure he saw my post on his wall... Why isn't he responding to my birthday wish?  :blink:

P.S. He responded to my birthday wish within a hour last year but it has been days and he has yet to respond. IDK if hes ignoring me.-.-"

Dunno about you but with all of the pages I watch and all my friends, it is QUITE easy to lose messages, even with the little notification bar at the top. As soon as you click that, the number goes away and I have no idea what I have and haven't seen.

You could always send him a message over chat, instead of the wall posting.

I got married to my husband in April. We met online and have been together for 12 years, so it was about time! <3

We are a poly couple and like to swing. Hopefully someday we will find a third.

Wow! That's awesome! Good for you~

Personally I don't like the idea of polygamy, but if you and your husband are perfectly okay with it and it works for you, more power to you. ^^ I hope you're able to find someone else to be in your relationship some day. c:

I been with my bf for about a year now and i love him so much, and our anniversary is coming up in like a week actually. I have NO idea what we should do sad.gif any one got some ideas??

I think for the morning we have planned to go visit the place we met again and maybe take some photos, reminisce, but as for the evening and afternoon... i don't know. I was thinking for the afternoon we could maybe take a stroll to the park or have a picnic but we like do that every month. Then i thought ok well i can maybe make him a nice dinner for the afternoon. But then i remembered im a horrible cook and not to mention i doubt i'll have enough money by then to buy all the ingredients i'll need to make a dish i haven't even decided on. I've even asked him what he thinks we should do on our anniversary and he's just as brain dead .-. I just really wanna do something special for him, something that he won't see coming like a surprise something nice that'll really show my affection to him, but preferably inexpensive. sad.gif

I'm in my fourth serious romantic relationship, and am hoping it's my last. The first, I must say, was the relationship I miss most. We had been together three years when he passed away from cancer.

My fiancé and I have 3 children (2 born one on the way), and absolutely love each other. To say things are hard between us is an understatement. We live about 1800 miles apart. I must say that the time we spend together is the best time in the world.

Long distance relationships are hard but they CAN work. I met my husband online (on a karaoke website xd.png )6 years ago. Traveling over 20 hours in a car to see each other was very trying. What you need to do is never lose communication. Talk on the phone, text, Skype, and see each other as much as possible. We made it work! We finally moved in together at the end of 2009, and were married in 2010.

Edited by AquaBlueRain

My first "real" relationship lasted less than a month.

I'm not a very affectionate person. I try, but it doesn't come naturally to me at all. And I overthink just about everything because, well, it's something I hadn't ever done before and I'm all but clueless on what to do. I think that's why we ended up breaking up. I was happy in the relationship until he told me our relationship felt more like we were just friends that kissed. He had stopped being so attentive about a week-and-a-half before he told me that while I was trying to get closer and it just didn't work out. I ended up formally breaking it off.

So for the past month I've been trying to stop obsessing over him and I think I'll be able to face him again and act normal when I go back to university this weekend. The problem is some of my friends now think he's a <censored> and he's really not. What worries me is that I might have been just another girl in his history of failed relationships - he's friends with a lot of girls and has spent the majority of the last four years in one relationship after the other, a few of them long-term.

Anyway, I don't like what the breakup turned me into, so I don't intend to get into another relationship for a while. Also I'm taking a heavy course load this semester and I need straight A's and a relationship would just be another distraction.

I been with my bf for about a year now and i love him so much, and our anniversary is coming up in like a week actually. I have NO idea what we should do :( any one got some ideas??

I think for the morning we have planned to go visit the place we met again and maybe take some photos, reminisce, but as for the evening and afternoon... i don't know. I was thinking for the afternoon we could maybe take a stroll to the park or have a picnic but we like do that every month. Then i thought ok well i can maybe make him a nice dinner for the afternoon. But then i remembered im a horrible cook and not to mention i doubt i'll have enough money by then to buy all the ingredients i'll need to make a dish i haven't even decided on. I've even asked him what he thinks we should do on our anniversary and he's just as brain dead .-. I just really wanna do something special for him, something that he won't see coming like a surprise something nice that'll really show my affection to him, but preferably inexpensive. :(

You really don't have to do anything special. Honestly, just spending time together is enough. c: If you want to, you can go to the movies, play games, eat dinner, maybe even go out at night somewhere and look at the stars and just talk.

Don't sweat it! Mull over some ideas with him. I think the best things to do would be free things. c:

I'm in my fourth serious romantic relationship, and am hoping it's my last. The first, I must say, was the relationship I miss most. We had been together three years when he passed away from cancer.

My fiancé and I have 3 children (2 born one on the way), and absolutely love each other. To say things are hard between us is an understatement. We live about 1800 miles apart. I must say that the time we spend together is the best time in the world.

Indeed, first loves are hard to get over. Not that I specifically know, but I've heard about it from others. It's sad you had to lose him like that. :c

Congrats on your current one, though! I hope you can live together and have a relatively happy life without too many struggles. :D

Long distance relationships are hard but they CAN work. I met my husband online (on a karaoke website XD )6 years ago. Traveling over 20 hours in a car to see each other was very trying. What you need to do is never lose communication. Talk on the phone, text, Skype, and see each other as much as possible. We made it work! We finally moved in together at the end of 2009, and were married in 2010.

Congrats for you! :D I'm always extremely happy for those that can do the hard stuff and make it work. c:

You're completely right, too! Always stay in touch! Skype is a wonderful tool and I think it should be used even if the relationship isn't long distance. c:

My first "real" relationship lasted less than a month.

I'm not a very affectionate person.  I try, but it doesn't come naturally to me at all.  And I overthink just about everything because, well, it's something I hadn't ever done before and I'm all but clueless on what to do.  I think that's why we ended up breaking up.  I was happy in the relationship until he told me our relationship felt more like we were just friends that kissed.  He had stopped being so attentive about a week-and-a-half before he told me that while I was trying to get closer and it just didn't work out.  I ended up formally breaking it off.

So for the past month I've been trying to stop obsessing over him and I think I'll be able to face him again and act normal when I go back to university this weekend.  The problem is some of my friends now think he's a <censored> and he's really not.  What worries me is that I might have been just another girl in his history of failed relationships - he's friends with a lot of girls and has spent the majority of the last four years in one relationship after the other, a few of them long-term.

Anyway, I don't like what the breakup turned me into, so I don't intend to get into another relationship for a while.  Also I'm taking a heavy course load this semester and I need straight A's and a relationship would just be another distraction.

I think the first mistake was overthinking it. Really, you should just let things happen. Don't overthink it too much. I remember freaking out at the start of my relationship because I had NO idea what I was doing and I was overthinking it. When you get into your next relationship, relax! If you two really have feelings for each other, there's nothing to worry about.

Also, communicate your thoughts and feelings. Tell him how you feel like you're not affectionate, when you think you're getting closer, and when you think you're growing apart. Sometimes just admitting to it will help the problem and you can both actively work to make things better, instead of letting things slip away without doing anything.

You also always have a second chance. It's possible to work things out with the person you broke up with. I'm not saying to just go back to him, but if you really enjoyed being in that relationship and he did too, try again. If you find that you really don't work out, there's nothing wrong with breaking up again.

I hope you can convince your friends that he's really a good guy.

I think the first mistake was overthinking it. Really, you should just let things happen. Don't overthink it too much. I remember freaking out at the start of my relationship because I had NO idea what I was doing and I was overthinking it. When you get into your next relationship, relax! If you two really have feelings for each other, there's nothing to worry about.

Also, communicate your thoughts and feelings. Tell him how you feel like you're not affectionate, when you think you're getting closer, and when you think you're growing apart. Sometimes just admitting to it will help the problem and you can both actively work to make things better, instead of letting things slip away without doing anything.

You also always have a second chance. It's possible to work things out with the person you broke up with. I'm not saying to just go back to him, but if you really enjoyed being in that relationship and he did too, try again. If you find that you really don't work out, there's nothing wrong with breaking up again.

I hope you can convince your friends that he's really a good guy.

I overthink everything and I overthought this relationship too much especially because it was my first and that's just who I am. I'm not good at social interaction and I think that was pretty well magnified when I got into the relationship. I didn't want to seem too demanding (he has a home life and I respect that and I think he knew that) or controlling or obsessive (I failed a bit at that, but I honestly tried not to do it) or clingy or whatever but at the same time I wanted to be with him and I guess I didn't communicate that well enough. Add the stress of finals week plus juries because we're both music students and his family life and work going haywire and I don't know if it could have survived.

It also didn't help that we were barely more than acquaintances before, so we didn't have a strong friendship to back up the relationship. We became better friends while in the relationship, but I think he thought it wasn't progressing quickly enough (though he was all like, "It feels like we rushed it") and there wasn't enough chemistry. Circumstances made sure we didn't get much time together either except sometimes at night or sometimes during lunch. In the first two weeks he took every opportunity he could get to be with me, and then the latter two weeks he was always in a hurry to leave for reasons, mainly work or carpooling. My mom has convinced herself and has tried to convince me that there was another girl that had caught his eye.

In the last week I poured my heart out to him regarding how I felt about the relationship, but since we didn't actually get to see each other after Monday (we had plans to meet but then he had to leave...again...), I guess it didn't really have any effect on him. When I came home I cried all evening because, well, it felt like he had already broken up with me, and was just waiting for me to say the actual words. I finally did a few days later through a really long text message, which I think is incredibly tacky, but it was just... we weren't going to get the chance to talk face-to-face again until school started back up, and his work schedule prevented him from us being able to call each other at a reasonable hour. At the end I was like, "If you still want to salvage "us", I can talk (not text) after *hour*." And he basically accepted the breakup. Maybe he felt as hopeless about it as I did. Maybe he really didn't want the relationship anymore. I don't know.

It was actually a very gentle breakup in and of itself, but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt. We haven't texted since before Christmas other than me saying "Merry Christmas" and him not replying. ¬¬ I don't really know how he felt about the whole thing. The urge to try to make things up with him is there but pretty much everyone I've talked to has told me not to bother trying because he was clearly finished with me. They're probably right. We'll see when university starts back up. I'll probably end up pretending (or trying to pretend) that he doesn't exist 96% of the time unless we get put in the same Musical Style & Analysis class, and that's a 1 in 3 chance.

Why do relationships and feelings and emotions have to be so complicated? -___-

Speaking of middle school incidents. Ok we all were rather..naive n stuff with relationships when we were this age...lol. There was this guy that I liked then, in like 8th grade. So I didn't know his friends knew this so they went and told him to ask me out. Yeah, that went well :I I thought something was weird so I never hugged him or anything, funny how he never cared to either. So about 2 weeks later he "ends teh "relationship" because he said he wants to date someone who is funnier and more pretty...lol I didn't care for this statement really. What I hated was how I found out after this that he was paid $20 to go out with me for two weeks. Yeah, good ol' middle school crap right there.

revives this thread because i need help lul

Ok guise here's the dealio

I have a girlfriend and we've been dating quite casually for a little while now and we really aren't the romantic type but we both decided to do something for each other on Valentine's day. Just something simple. As high school students, the usual protocol involves a small gift or two (which you then flaunt around single people all day long. Nah, I'm kidding. Kinda.)

But there are quite a few problems:

1. Valentine's day is a Friday. That's a school day.

2. And we go to different schools Dx

3. I don't have many ideas of what to get her lol I'm lame

4. But seriously we go to different schools ok how am I gonna get a gift to her?? Is it even possible?

5. Last year she sent a gift to someone at my school by getting her best friend, who also goes to my school, to pick it up sometime in advance and deliver it to the person at school. So I mean technically she has a means of getting something to me, but I have no way to get anything to her.

6. My parents know I'm not straight but they don't know about my girlfriend. I'm considering telling my mom, because then I could actually buy her a gift without my mom getting suspicious. Buying gifts for people is very out-of-character for me. There's no way she wouldn't think something was going on.

Yeah. Issues. Dx I really don't think it's even -possible- for this to work out, but it would be nice if it did. I guess I could see her the day before Valentine's day and we could exchange gifts then, but that's kinda...eh.

Perhaps I'm just ranting instead of asking for help, because I really don't see an easy solution?

revives this thread because i need help lul

Ok guise here's the dealio

I have a girlfriend and we've been dating quite casually for a little while now and we really aren't the romantic type but we both decided to do something for each other on Valentine's day. Just something simple. As high school students, the usual protocol involves a small gift or two (which you then flaunt around single people all day long. Nah, I'm kidding. Kinda.)

But there are quite a few problems:

1. Valentine's day is a Friday. That's a school day.

2. And we go to different schools Dx

3. I don't have many ideas of what to get her lol I'm lame

4. But seriously we go to different schools ok how am I gonna get a gift to her?? Is it even possible?

5. Last year she sent a gift to someone at my school by getting her best friend, who also goes to my school, to pick it up sometime in advance and deliver it to the person at school. So I mean technically she has a means of getting something to me, but I have no way to get anything to her.

6. My parents know I'm not straight but they don't know about my girlfriend. I'm considering telling my mom, because then I could actually buy her a gift without my mom getting suspicious. Buying gifts for people is very out-of-character for me. There's no way she wouldn't think something was going on.

Yeah. Issues. Dx I really don't think it's even -possible- for this to work out, but it would be nice if it did. I guess I could see her the day before Valentine's day and we could exchange gifts then, but that's kinda...eh.

Perhaps I'm just ranting instead of asking for help, because I really don't see an easy solution?

OK, You go to different schools. So meet up after school, not a big deal; you can give her a gift then. Tell your parents you have to stay late for school for whatever reason, if you don't want to tell them about your gf outright. Or you could just mention it to your parents/mom and avoid that stuff....just say you want to give a Valentine's day gift to someone you like smile.gif

Awww....it's nice to hear about 2 young people in love <3 I hope your parents are understanding about your girlfriend and sexual orientation, I really do.

Anyway, so summarize: do something after school! Give her the gift then.

This is just my opinion, but dating relationships between extremely young people (17-, etc,.)normally take up a huge block of time. That time could be applied to something else.... (Studying? Family time?) Both of these are important. I imagine nobody's parents want you living in their basement, so get a good career. Family will not be around forever, either! The point of dating is to eventually get married, isn't it? Not many couples that start dating in junior/senior high actually end up getting married. (I'm not saying NONE do.)

Again, its just my opinion.

This is just my opinion, but dating relationships between extremely young people (17-, etc,.)normally take up a huge block of time. That time could be applied to something else.... (Studying? Family time?) Both of these are important. I imagine nobody's parents want you living in their basement, so get a good career. Family will not be around forever, either! The point of dating is to eventually get married, isn't it? Not many couples that start dating in junior/senior high actually end up getting married. (I'm not saying NONE do.)

This may be true for some but not all! Some young people can certainly manage different aspects of their life, like the ones you mentioned, without too much trouble. In my case, I don't dedicate "a huge block of time" to my girlfriend. Believe me, I'm very family-oriented and my family gets enough of me :P And I spend plenty of time studying too!

It is possible for a young person (of my age, below seventeen - like you specified) to balance a good academic record, family life, and a relationship :) I have a 4.5 GPA and plan on going to a good local university to study biochemistry (perhaps. I still have time to decide for sure). And I have time for my girlfriend. So it is definitely possible! Stressful sometimes, but only because my school schedule stresses me out, and even then it's nice to have my girlfriend to lean on.

I am very career-focused and to maintain a successful career is my number one goal in life, besides being overall happy while doing so.

And not all relationships are headed for marriage. I don't particularly want to get married, for one thing (and if I did, would it be legal anyway?) - I'm not against marriage but it's not the 'final place' at which I see my relationship arriving. We'll see.

It's just nice to have the companionship I get from my girlfriend and, if our relationship doesn't last, it will have been nice to have the experience. :)

I definitely agree that some teen relationships may seem just pointless and it strikes me as a bit foolish for a teenager's life to revolve around their partner, but I don't think this is as common as it may seem. So in short, you can definitely still have a good life and future ahead of you even if you are dedicated to a relationship. ^.^

OK, You go to different schools. So meet up after school, not a big deal; you can give her a gift then. Tell your parents you have to stay late for school for whatever reason, if you don't want to tell them about your gf outright. Or you could just mention it to your parents/mom and avoid that stuff....just say you want to give a Valentine's day gift to someone you like :)

Awww....it's nice to hear about 2 young people in love <3 I hope your parents are understanding about your girlfriend and sexual orientation, I really do.

Anyway, so summarize: do something after school! Give her the gift then.

Yes, I think this is probably what will end up happening. The most ideal scenario would of course occur if we both went to the same school, but alas, no such luck :P

And I think I will end up telling my parents beforehand anyway, or at least my mom because she's more involved in my social life than my father. They'll have to find out eventually, right?

The good thing is that my mom at least knows my girlfriend. I've known her since elementary school, but my mom doesn't suspect that we're anything more than friends. She'll approve of her. Now I just have to figure out what to get her for Valentine's day.

Thank you for your advice and support! :3

Edited by glamoursea2

Gonna bump this thread

Um...no. I consider my boyfriend a part of my family, anyway. I started dating him when I was 16, going on 17. He was my first boyfriend ever and we've almost been together for a full two years. >___>

The teenage years is usually when most people really start experimenting and figuring themselves out in many different ways. Dating is one of those ways. Some people can go in and out of relationships, others can manage to get into one deeper relationship.

The point of dating is to find out who and what you're compatible with. It's not necessarily FOR marriage. There's NOTHING wrong with being unmarried, either. It's perfectly fine to be single forever or even have the same boy/girlfriend without ever getting married.

It's definitely important to get a good career to sustain you, though! I won't argue with that. How are you supposed to support yourself and another person if you aren't able to support yourself? But you can certainly still be in a relationship while in school, etc. Personally I don't think people should get married too early- it has to be something they're sure of after having lived in an apartment/house/etc and been with that person for about six months to a year first.

Being in a romantic relationship was very enjoyable to me at the time.

But I don't see it practical for myself (my favorite word to use for it is "overrated" lol). Which is a sad way to look at it but I don't see how else to see it.

I think my standards are too high. But if they weren't too high, then I'd risk ending up with a total jerk. (I know it's not black and white like that. But in a way, it is.) I know people who meet the standards but I broke up with the one I dated and the rest never seemed interested in me in the first place. (Then again I almost need a flashing neon sign that says "HE WANTS YOU TO BE HIS GIRLFRIEND" to know whether or not a guy is interested in me lol.)

I will say, though, that life has seemed a bit dimmer since my exbf and I broke up. Like I've lost some capacity to feel as happy as I used to be able to. And I've become more anxious too.

I don't get it, though. Other than sex, how do people stay in romantic relationships for so long? (In other words, what did I do wrong?)

I think different people stay together shorter or longer for different reasons. Sometimes they don't stay together because of love, but because of something else like children, property, familial/societal peer pressure, or even simply because they just can't bring themselves to split up.

Some couples can stay together having little-to-no sex, so I doubt that a reason. Most are perfectly happy, too.

You didn't do anything wrong. It's good to have high standards. There shouldn't be a reason for you NEEDING to be in a relationship, though. If you want to be in one, I'm sure you'll find the right person someday. :D

The point of dating is to eventually get married, isn't it? Not many couples that start dating in junior/senior high actually end up getting married. (I'm not saying NONE do.)

It's not the point at all. The point of dating is to be around someone you enjoy spending time with, whether romantically, sexually, aromantically or asexually. There are many ways to express love (I refuse to differentiate between 'friend love' and 'sexual love'-- it's the same feeling, and whether you find a person sexually attractive or engage in sexy behavior does not change the base emotion of caring, protecting and drawing strength from someone)... and marriage means absolutely nothing except in the case of gaining legal rights which are arbitrarily defined by the current govt. you live under.

I am nearly 30 and my girlfriend is a married woman (same age) who has a near asexual relationship with her spouse, they are more like long-term friends. My girlfriend has no desire to be divorced or remarried and I have no desire to ever become married or 'take her from' her current relationship. When we are together I feel complete happiness, we are best friends in every way and we talk about everything. We don't agree on every issue, particularly various political or social issues (she's pro nuclear power and I am overall slightly against it, for example, lol) but we express our love for each other in ways that are both romantic and 'friend' ways. It's all the same thing.

Not everyone wants the traditonal Western media-influenced life, and those of you that think you HAVE to because "that's all there is, that's how it's done".... there are many, many many many many more options than that to be happy. xd.png

The point of dating is to eventually get married, isn't it? Not many couples that start dating in junior/senior high actually end up getting married. (I'm not saying NONE do.)

Not if it's illegal for you to marry where you live :D //figured that ought to be shoved out there too//

Edited by PeterPan3112