Titan

Relationships!

Heres some advice just don't date until your out of high school its so much better becasue it never works once you leave high school so just wait till you enter college or something like that.

Heres some advice just don't date until your out of high school its so much better becasue it never works once you leave high school so just wait till you enter college or something like that.

What about the learning experience such younger relationships offer?

Never is a bit of an extreme. I know many people who have been as happily married as anyone can be for twenty years plus who started dating in highschool.

--

However, the odds are against anyone who tries to date that young. I'm sorry kids, but it's true. Keeping a relationship together and having it be a meaningful one is hard at the best of times and the younger the people involved are, the harder it is. I went through seven relationships in highschool alone, each one lasting anywhere from two to nine months. And that was considered pretty good, to only have that many in four years.

[/adult]

--

Derp derp now Sophomore in college, dating smart, funny, awesome, pretty girl that lives halfway across the country, and I score horribly on empathy tests, how do make this work DX

However, the odds are against anyone who tries to date that young. I'm sorry kids, but it's true. Keeping a relationship together and having it be a meaningful one is hard at the best of times and the younger the people involved are, the harder it is. I went through seven relationships in highschool alone, each one lasting anywhere from two to nine months. And that was considered pretty good, to only have that many in four years.

[/adult]

I had only two relationships in school - one from 10yrs - 14yrs, and another 14yrs - 19yrs. So I think I beat you on low number of partners ;~)

That's awesome ^^

When I say it was considered pretty good, that was by my peers though, I thought it was a horridly high number until I found out people were going through that many relationships in the time I was having just one >_<

edit: Fun fact: even as just friends, new girlfriend and I have been on Skype in a group chat setting with each other 4+ hours a day for the last year, we only got together 5 days ago. We're also on multiple same sites, including DC

Edited by dragon_mando

I only have had two relationships from 1 month and the other was 4 months and 29 days. I've had some one and off flings but nothing serious and it is hard in high school. I'm a freshy in college now and just keeping my eyes and ears open but probably nothing until I get out of community.

Dragon: As for the long distance I know how hard it can be and if your truely willing to make it work than it will work out if you put the time and effort into it. Skype is your best friend.

Dragon: As for the long distance I know how hard it can be and if your truely willing to make it work than it will work out if you put the time and effort into it. Skype is your best friend.

Only if both sides do. And letters >> Skype.

I only had one relationship in high school.

Long distance is definitely hard. Daily texts, frequent phone calls, and the promise of school breaks make it easier.

Technically didn't have any in high school. The one I've sort of been for the past three years is kind of messed up and was never officially a relationship beyond bestfriendship, although the emotions behind it were very loving. But it's changed so much as it's so stressful now, it's terrible. But... I can't leave her, I love her so much, and I just keep hoping she'll give me some form of a second chance before she leaves for real college (we're in community college right now). Though, she keeps saying she can't come out until she's 18, but she'll be 17 when she leaves. So... :/ -sigh-

I've been in one relationship with a girl, though I tried to get others going they never worked out. It was for the better anyways, I didn't see it then but the girls I liked were... eh... yeah.

Started dating a cute girl last year. I'd been told by a few people that she really liked me but I didn't believe it. I mean, she was super cute but really shy. She hardly talked to anyone. My (19yo) sister constantly reminds me how good looking my friends are, so I was completely astounded that an attractive female would single me out from all my friends. Eventually she told me straight up she liked me and by that time I sort of cared about her too. We took it slow and let it develop on its own. We talked a lot in person and on facebook, got to know each other better, hung out a few times here and there, it was pretty great. And by taking it slow I mean killer slow. Like, we didn't hold hands until like 4 months into it. Our first kiss was on our 6 month mark. Things were going great for a long time. But my mom was never okay with us, and that screwed things up a lot. It led to a lot of sneaking around, guilty feelings and basically just messed everything up. It was EXACTLY on our 14 month "anniversary" that she broke up with me. She wanted to do it in person but I could tell something was wrong that day and kept bugging her until she told me. She didn't think it was right to keep sneaking around behind my mom's back... go figure. I fall in love with the one girl who's good enough to throw away a working relationship because my mom doesn't like it >.< I still haven't gotten over her... and she hasn't gotten over me either. I'm still hoping that maybe it'll work out when we graduate... but who knows. Life really sucks, she was the only person I could talk to about anything other than my grandma, and she died a few months ago... nobody else even tries to understand me. Friends are few and far between. I'm just... not a likable person. It took a special girl to love me like she did. Gosh I miss her...

So I've been in 4 relationships altogether. They've all been rather different so I've learned a lot from them, and that I am thankful for.

First was a long distance relationship of around 10 months; I learned that long dist. relationships are not for me, so that settled that dispute. It wasn't a mutual break-up, he still liked me but now he's found someone else and they've been dating for about 4-5 years, so I'm happy for him.

Second was with someone who was similar to me in some ways and different in others. Unfortunately we were both rather stubborn so we had vicious fights, but it was also my longest relationship of 11 months.

Third was with someone who was practically my twin. The only thing we didn't share in common was his love of heavy metal and my love of bananas. But otherwise, our similarities were so many it was rather concerning sometimes. It was the most fun relationship I ever had, and I do miss him at times. However, we both shared a love for risks, yet I matured faster than him and knew not to walk down that road. He didn't. And this is why I'm grateful for ending it when I did because he would have taken me down that dangerous road with him.

Lastly, the most horrific relationship I had, being with someone who was the opposite of me. He pretty much only wanted sex, tried to cheat on me and tried to take advantage of me (sexually) when I went through depression. Needless to say, it was my shortest relationship of 7 months.

My point is... relationships can be the most amazing thing in the world, or the most horrific emotional pain you could possibly feel. It all depends on the lesson life wants to teach you.

Quite frankly I'm having horrendous luck this year and would rather not love at all, but my love of a year still haunts me so I will continue the chase :/

"It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". Honestly, I would much rather have never loved at all.

I have had quite a few problems with relationships. I've never been a "people person" to begin with, but the last few years have been pretty bad. Every friend I make, I stop talking to after a couple months. I don't know what it is, maybe that we just don't have the same classes, but after a few times of hanging out at school, I never hear from them again.

All through middle school, I have always told myself to wait, that it wasn't worth it right now. My first year of high school, I met someone who is a year older than me and fell for him. One of the girls in my grade who was his neighbor found out and told him, which started a war that still continues today. After he found out, we talked about it and he told me that he wasn't ready for a girlfriend, which I was okay with. He told me that when he was ready we would talk about it again, but then he never did. We both go to the same college now and he has a girlfriend and denies anything about us.

That was the worse thing ever. And what makes it more horrible is that even if I try to forget him and move on, I feel like it would be cheating.

I have had quite a few problems with relationships. I've never been a "people person" to begin with, but the last few years have been pretty bad. Every friend I make, I stop talking to after a couple months. I don't know what it is, maybe that we just don't have the same classes, but after a few times of hanging out at school, I never hear from them again.

All through middle school, I have always told myself to wait, that it wasn't worth it right now. My first year of high school, I met someone who is a year older than me and fell for him. One of the girls in my grade who was his neighbor found out and told him, which started a war that still continues today. After he found out, we talked about it and he told me that he wasn't ready for a girlfriend, which I was okay with. He told me that when he was ready we would talk about it again, but then he never did. We both go to the same college now and he has a girlfriend and denies anything about us.

That was the worse thing ever. And what makes it more horrible is that even if I try to forget him and move on, I feel like it would be cheating.

Hope you don't mind me popping in to say something about this dude: it's not cheating to get over him, he brushed you off. Most guys when they say they just aren't interested in a relationship actually mean they aren't interested in the person they're saying it to. Especially if he has a girlfriend now. He was a two-faced jerk to you by saying that so waiting for him any longer is giving him credit he doesn't deserve.

*hugs*

I'm much the same way with most friends, except a couple I met on the Internet.

I had only two relationships in school - one from 10yrs - 14yrs, and another 14yrs - 19yrs. So I think I beat you on low number of partners ;~)

0 partners

I beat you Kestra ;D

tongue.gif

Right up there with Kestra - always single and proud of it ;P ... Although, you're both older than me, so that doesn't really count... xd.png

... I had a few friends back in 'the old days.' Only one of them is left, the others have just sort of drifted away. I do have two internet friends that I've met in person twice now, and those are my closest friends by far. (Psst. We secretly compare ourselves to the three legendary dragons in DC.)

I'm no good at making face-to-face friends now. I generally rub everyone the wrong way, lose interest quickly, and/or (more often than is probably good) actually drive some away to see if they're really so interested as to return.

As for relationships, I've never had a boyfriend, nor do I want one for quite a while if I can help it. No boy life is good boy life!! I've been told I was pretty, cute, someone liked me, ect. multiple times, however, so I don't know how long I can make it last...

Edited by digipup

So many stories I'd love to respond to and give advice but I might be here all day. xd.png

So my story is a tad odd and long. I am 21 years old and I met the man I'm with when I was 19 on a dating site. (Yes, so young and using a dating site) I was desperate for someone in my life. He is the first person I have ever been in a relationship with. In middle/high school I was always singled out as the worst person to be around (next to the boy with the mental/physical disabilities). I would see guys I liked, tell my friends, then somehow everyone would know around the school and tell that person. I would also try to be extremely friendly to a guy; doing their homework for them as an example. But all it got me was tears and heartaches. After so many rejections and people making fun of me I withdrew into myself a lot. When we graduated we could choose who we walked with, and every person I chose refused to walk with me (so naturally I got stuck with the disabled boy).

I was glad when college started thinking no one would know me there and would give me a chance. But that all fell apart. People singled me out there, and I only managed to make one decent friend who didn't betray me.

After I was kicked out of college due to my own reasons, I began roaming dating sites for someone to care about me. (I know, she's insane) After many failures... I found a guy who took an interest in me. We talked for a few days, and decided to get together to meet each other (seeing as we lived in the same town). His name sounded familiar at first, but i couldn't place it. I wound up driving out to get him and when i saw him I knew who he was. He had been a senior in our High School when I was a freshman (and I had a thing for him when he was dating someone else and had never told him or anyone else at the time). He was hesitant at first to start another relationship. He was recently divorced and afraid to trust women again. But eventually he warmed up to me and asked me out on quite a few dates. Finally after a very rough night at my mothers, he allowed me to move in with him. That was our official we're boyfriend/girlfriend start. I was so excited (yes, i felt like a young schoolgirl again) to finally be with someone who didn't look at me like I was trash.

About a year later (cause this is getting too long, even for me) he proposed to me. We've been happily engaged for a little over a year now (no date set in stone at the moment).

I guess what i'm trying to get at, while explaining my own story, is that you never know who you might end up with.

Derp derp now Sophomore in college, dating smart, funny, awesome, pretty girl that lives halfway across the country, and I score horribly on empathy tests, how do make this work DX

Just keep doing what you're doing now, you're doing better than me. xd.png

And yes, I am the girlfriend. ^^

*eyes thread*

*takes deep breath, dives in!*

I've currently got a boyfriend (since 2003) and a girlfriend (since 2010), both acquired through the internet. <3 <3

Two factors contributed to my polyamoury: One, breaking up with someone awesome to be with someone else that was awesome was one of those things I did once and then decided I never wanted to do that to anyone ever again. Two, 'relationship' to most people boils down to 'someone you have sex with' (as opposed to just 'friendship', which is viewed as platonic), and I have to admit I've never understood the concept of sexual exclusivity for myself (not that I, at the time, thought I had a snowball's chance in hell of ever having more than one partner - but it seemed odd to me that I'd not be allowed to share an act that makes me and the other person feel good when we're friends and we make each other feel good in other ways, too).

I had another girlfriend from 2001 to 2009 that I broke up with because it wasn't working out; she was extremely dependant on me and that wasn't what I was trying to push her towards (autonomy, self-confidence, ability to think for herself). She was very upset at us parting but now agrees it was for the best. I'd met her through the internet, too.

All in all I've had five and a half relationships - two boyfriends during my serial-monogamy phase, then the above three, and the 'half' is from someone who I literally met once who left me a collar but wasn't my type enough for a relationship, which was what he wanted (he specifically said, either a relationship would come of it, or we'd part ways - he wasn't going to do friendship. That may seem odd/harsh, but I have mad respect for that guy).

I don't limit the amount of relationships I can have at a time, but I've found two seems to be what's healthy for me (to the point where one strains my patience and makes me a bad partner, and more are a bit of a trouble to handle). The dual gender aspect seems to have happened on accident, mind. I know I don't look for girls or boys specifically. laugh.gif

Since I live together with my boyfriend, he's my de-facto core relationship. He's got plenty compersion for my girlfriend, which is awesome, and the reverse is definitely true. My boyfriend used to be very wary of my polyamoury, but he's grown away from all forms of jealousy over time, and seems to realise that it's poly that welds me to him as tightly as it does.

<3 my boyfriend so much. I suspect he may be to some part asexual, since our relationship transitioned into an asexual romantic one lately (as in, since about two and a half years). I love him to pieces, but if I were monogamous, I'd be forced to leave him - I'm a very sexual creature and I was getting literal depressions to point of suicidal tendencies over the lack of it.

<3 my girlfriend so much. She's currently sitting next to me, and we're about to dip down for an evening meal in the hotel we're in; I'm up near where my mum lives and introduced her to her two days ago, and they're getting along famously. biggrin.gif

Actually my boyfriend broke up with me just yesterday. He says he still likes me but cannot handle a relationship right now. I understand that since he's got football, a possible scholarship to work for, and family issues - but the way he did it hurt me so bad. I am pretty broken up over it and it doesn't help since we have the same friends I will be seeing him everyday. I just want to drop out of his radar for good.

I'm terrible with relationships. Never really been in one. Only people that ask me are total pervs. And the rest are taken (ahem... are we not too young to be dating anyway at my age?)

Forever aloneness.

Actually my boyfriend broke up with me just yesterday. He says he still likes me but cannot handle a relationship right now. I understand that since he's got football, a possible scholarship to work for, and family issues - but the way he did it hurt me so bad. I am pretty broken up over it and it doesn't help since we have the same friends I will be seeing him everyday. I just want to drop out of his radar for good.

Please don't do the one thing I'm thinking of. >.> Do you mind if I ask how he did it, as long as it doesn't upset you more? What I would do as far as the friends are concerned is to tell them that you need some time to yourself to think about things. If they are good friends they'll understand and let you have your space. It will be hard to forget about him, it's never easy. All you can really do is take it one day at a time. (Horrible advice, I know)

Well, I finally asked the girl I like out, and, of course, she said no. She said that some bad stuff is goin' on at home (namely, parents getting divorced), so she's feeling depressed and stuff, and she doesn't think either of us would be happy if we went out right now. But we're still going to the Halloween Dance, as friends, of course. She also told me that I should ask again in a year or two...

EDIT - Post #100!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Titan

Hope you don't mind me popping in to say something about this dude: it's not cheating to get over him, he brushed you off. Most guys when they say they just aren't interested in a relationship actually mean they aren't interested in the person they're saying it to. Especially if he has a girlfriend now. He was a two-faced jerk to you by saying that so waiting for him any longer is giving him credit he doesn't deserve.

*hugs*

I'm much the same way with most friends, except a couple I met on the Internet.

no I don't mind. Some days i do feel that way too. But then somehow I end up right back to still wanting him.

It's all just confusing to me and I don't know how to figure it out. Especially if I have no one I can trust to turn to.

And for everyone else who has posted stories here, I hope that everything works out and that you can find the happiness you all deserve.

I cannot into relationships. My emotions are too odd and distant for most people, it severely narrows my ability to develop any relationship, romantic ones only moreso. What relationships I have eventually break apart because 'you don't feel enough for me' or 'you creep me out' or 'you can't trust me enough'. It's frustrating because it's a fault that I cannot help but there is no one who is willing to deal with me long enough to realize this. What makes it more frustrating is that, when I warn people who are interested in me, I am always told 'but I'm different', 'I accept you'.

To be frank, I am a terrible person to have a relationship with. I am emotionally distant and yet at the same time emotionally close. No matter what, I will always feel utmost alone, even when I am physically close with someone, we are sharing body warmth, I will still feel like the loneliest person in the world. It isn't because I don't love people. It isn't because other people don't love me enough. There is an invisible glass between me and the world, and anyone who attempts to break it always ends up hurt in the end.

I've been single since really early summer and I'm already missing the closeness of being in a relationship. Simple, but intimate things, like cuddling and her soft breathing when she was falling asleep.