Renorei

ANSWERED:New Biome: Wasteland

4.  You wouldn't be able to use them as a shortcut to making Neglected dragons.  With the cave scroll idea you could have picked up ER CB eggs easily and had several experiments lined up only 3 days later.  With this, it doesn't create any shortcuts to ND experiments because the hatchlings would actually take longer to get to their dying time than regular stuff that you catch from the biomes.

The fact that they're hatchies is enough to discourage most Neglected experiments.

I'm a ND experimenter, been one for close to a year now. I also know a lot of other experimenters. We've run very few hatchie experiments; there's no real reason to. The success rate is poor, you'd need to freeze the hatchie as soon as it turns, and it's not overly attractive to keep a hatchie until it's nearly dead when you could ER it to adult stage at 4d. Eggs work a lot better (ironically, we usually use cave blockers for this xd.png ) for a variety of reasons.

+1 to most of what Cinnamin said as well, although I don't think 10m is an unreasonable wait time. Sure, people would probably like the game to move fast, but too short a wait time and the new biome would get slammed with hatchies. Just because it takes a little while to move doesn't mean it's a blocker. 10m and it's almost certainly unwanted (or DC is just totally dead, like during downtime).

I really like this idea. I usually raise eggs to help out friends, and with one friend I help raise hatchlings to assist their lineage project. The result, always egg locked with very few hatchlings. I would be nice to catch a few hatchlings that weren't wanted in the cave to help fill the slots.

I like this idea. I think it adds a new element to the game. smile.gif I think it'd have to be closely balanced with the cave to make sure that we don't end up with the same blocking happening because everyone is refreshing for hatchies instead of eggs, but other than that I can't think of any objections.

You've got my support too. I never do anything with my hatchie slots and I'd be happy to help clear out some of the cave blockers this way--and I know a lot of other users would, too. smile.gif I also really like the idea of interacting with hatchies in a new way. You've really thought this through and I can't see any objections that haven't already been covered better than I could. :3

I totally support this idea. I would like to try my hand at raising a sick hatchy. I've raised a baby pigeon to adulthood once, when my dad brought it home from his work. It fell out of it's nest, and the parents left it alone. So my dad put it in a small box and brought it home to me. The poor thing barely had any feathers, that's how young it was. I raised it till "he" could fly, and I let him go. I miss Phil now. But I did what was best for him. smile.gif

To sum this post up:

+1 support from me!

It's a way to cycle out unwanted eggs so people take them. Hatchlings are far more desirable than eggs. When I get a blocker I hatch it and abandon it, because most people will take a hatchling, rather than block up their party for a week or so trying to raise an egg they don't want. Don't consider it as the cave scroll idea. It's a new biome where hatchlings can be found in addition to being a solution for a problem that a lot of users are having.

I agree completely.

And if anyone else wants another aspect to make this idea "difficult", you also lose out on Influencing these hatchlings, so gender is random here again. So yeah, with the added time, the fact that they can get sick easily, and I could end up with a straight run of fifty male whiptails? I absolutely think this counts as a nice challenging addition to the game.

I barely use my hatchling slots as it is. I load up with eggs, they hatch, I load up with eggs again. I've never had more than 14 of my gold trophy level slots in use at my production peak, so the extra spaces are almost a waste. So yeah, I'd happily use them to catch hatchlings. I suck at catching them in the AP when my egg slots are full, and I try to collect only CB and low-gen dragons for my scroll so most of the AP fodder isn't to my taste anyway.

I'll happily hover in a hatchling-only biome and snatch up anything that lands under my mouse.

I like this, But the hachys should be sick and have like 10 days.

10 days might be a bit much (the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards 9), but even with 10 days remaining, people will still pick them up just because they are hatchlings and take up hatchling slots rather than egg slots. Even when I am using my scroll to its highest efficiency I usually have some hatchie slots left.

I think this is a great idea :3.

But since it is a sickly place, maybe the hatchie could be sick instead? So it has a higher chance of dying, since its rare to get hatchies from the cave. So you'll have to tend to it.

Seems like a good idea. In the AP, you rarely see hatchlings, and even if they are common, they're gone in a heartbeat. People might be more willing to pick up the common hatchies, and that will help even out the ratios, right? As long as those dragons grow up and are kept. That way, people that want to help the cave blocker situation can be egg locked, but still grab common hatchies.

Cave scroll is open to everybody too...

It seems like people really misread the cave scroll idea...

Out of all the suggestions to unblock the cave. This one makes the most sense. It is not unknown for animals to abandon their offspring in real life for whatever reason. They're abandoned sometimes because they are weak and sick and would have little chance to live, or simply because the parent doesn't know what to do with it.

TJ, if you're reading this, I think we addressed your questions/thoughts. I'd love to know what you think of this idea.

Have to say I like this idea too. It's not as enchanting as the Mossy Eggs idea, but it seems like it would be effective. I can see myself loading up on Storms from a hatchling-only biome (even though I've been making an effort to keep a growing Storm on my scroll at all times as it is). I could see myself possibly nabbing a few ND experiments now and again out of it, too (I'm one of those who doesn't mind holding onto cave-caught experiments for the whole 7 days).

One reason to have orderly lines (or at least an underlying order including alt text) is so players with screen readers can use it. Not everyone has images off by choice.

I'd think they should start off with 0/0/0 or some random low number of views <100, because the point of it isn't to make insta-adults, but to make them be an effort to raise as well.

This is a great idea, well thought out and makes perfect sense. I really hope this is implemented.

THis is a good idea and a bad idea at the same time even thoguh you said hatchlings take more time it is still free hatchlings.

I believe the concept of a "cave scroll" was so people could pick up blockers  to get the cave moving and just...raise them. It was a separate scroll, making it a multiple.

No, it was just named 'Cave Scroll' because it was not a player's scroll, but the "scroll of Dragon Cave" where the cave itself would pick up the eggs to abandon them to the AP when the eggs reached ER status. And anyone would be able to get those eggs from the AP.

Now, I also support this idea; it's clever and makes good use of the hatchling slots.

Edited by Rally Vincent

THis is a good idea and a bad idea at the same time even thoguh you said hatchlings take more time it is still free hatchlings.

The fact that you get a free hatchling doesn't really mean anything if it actually takes the same amount of time to get an egg, hatch it, and grow it up as it takes for you to grow up a free hatchling. It's like if we were to introduce a mammal to DC, and the "egg" stage was just a smaller hatchling.

This suggestion is basically the same thing as giving people extra egg slots for eggs picked only from the Wasteland biome, but making it more interesting in an RP sense.

The only problem I can think of is the insta-catch-and-freeze. A gold trophy user could hypothetically grab and freeze 16 hatchies in a row, then grab more hatchies to fill up their scroll.

The only problem I can think of is the insta-catch-and-freeze. A gold trophy user could hypothetically grab and freeze 16 hatchies in a row, then grab more hatchies to fill up their scroll.

Ooh, this is a good one... dang, I can't think of a good way around this.

Although, isn't there a freezing limit?

Yup, most anyone could do is 16 insta-freezes in two weeks with a gold trophy. They can manage that easily on their own just raising the eggs so...

hmm... this is difficult.... how about making it where you can't freeze these hatchlings?

I believe TJ has previously stated that dragon eggs don't remember where they came from...so I don't think that would change in this location.

Maybe it would have something similar to the CB egg abandon time limit? "You cannot freeze this hatchling until 5 hours have passed." Or something. Maybe longer than 5 hours? That, at the very least, delays the freezing. *shrug*