Renorei

ANSWERED:New Biome: Wasteland

If they've never been picked up, why would their parents just abandon them to be sick hatchlings? They may not be as able to fend us off, but their parents sure will be able to.

Who says the parents died?

Sounds like they still have parents to me. o3o

~

I would love free hatchlings like this, but I feel it just goes against the way the game is meant to be played. I don't really see how this is different from the cave scroll idea, except that it maybe takes a day or so longer to raise the hatchlings (but there's no ER'ing them from egg to hatchling).

Well, IIRC, the parents already abandoned eggs because they're runts. I don't see why they couldn't abandon them if they're sick hatchlings. Irresponsible parents?

Who says the parents couldn't have died? How do you know those dragons in the "cave" are actually the egg's parents? owo

I don't find it similar to a cave scroll at all. All I really see is a variation of the AP, just with pure CB eggs instead of ones that were bred, because for some reason the parents might have tried to relocate the eggs and something happened to them.

A description for the Biome could be something along, "You arrive at [insert name] after a long hike, only to find that the scarce resources have left older dragons weak and unable to protect their ill youngsters. As you look around, a thin hatchling tries to dart by you. Will you catch it?"

Something like that~

How would this work in the Wasteland:

When an egg has sat for (10) minutes, it goes to an area only accessible to TJ. They would then grow up like normal, and as soon as they hatch, they go to the wasteland. The point of this is too keep only a few hatchlings in the wasteland at a time, and that it would make commons less of a problem due to the fact that hatchlings are more valuable. This would also make it so random rare hatchlings don't pop up, and that people can't just grab everything there, refresh, and grab again with the possibility of rares.

The only problem with this is that after the cave goes down every morning, the eggs will have sat for a while and would make it so every day at 1 AM, the Wasteland is flooded.

Edited by ghb523

some of the eggs are far enough away that you could steal one.

They may or may not still have parents. Yeah, there are plenty of adult dragons in the biomes but who is to say that the parents of a specific egg haven't died or been killed? I don't know if they do or don't have parents, but either way, the eggs that are "far enough away that you could steal one" are probably either orphaned, or they are the eggs that the parent dragons consider runts and don't really care about anymore, or at least they don't care enough about them to keep them close enough that you can't steal them. Either way, the adult dragons don't care about them so they are essentially parentless. If you read carefully, there are other baby dragons in the biomes. The ones that the parent dragons actually care about are these ones:

you see many large dragons scattered about, some with hatchlings.

The hatchlings that the adults actually care about are the ones that are with the adults. The eggs that the adults actually care about are the ones that aren't far enough away that you could steal one.

Edited by Renorei

I actually like this very much. It's well developed and thought out, so let's see what happens.

Out of curiosity, how would a pile of eggs work?

I don't think I have anything to say that hasn't already been mentioned by someone else. This is an excellent idea, and I think it would bring some variety to the cave, even if it isn't something that'd been considered in the cave's earlier days. I mean, what's wrong with trying something new? I don't think this would cause any problems. It certainly fixes a few major ones.

+1 support. It makes sense RP-wise, it fixes the problem, and I can't see any major problems it would cause.

I don't think the egg-from-biomes-to-hatchi-in-wasteland thing makes much sense, though? IMO the hatchlings in the Wasteland should originate there, not as a CB egg that 'hatched' and moved across the map somehow. Perhaps the site can generate hatchlings randomly from the breeds that need the most ratio balancing? *shrug*

I...actually quite like this. The ideas are pretty well laid out, and if a hatchling starts at 0 views and 8-10 days, it'll be plenty difficult to raise because of how easily it will get sick, so it's not like multiscrolling nearly as bad as the cave scroll idea.

I'm in.

Particularly if the hatchlings needed more time to grow up, it wouldn't be like the cave scroll. You'd basically be spending the same amount of time on the hatchling, just as a hatchling instead of an egg. I think it's a great idea.

How is the end result different than the cave scroll idea?

It's an entirely new biome and not a separate scroll. To say that a biome containing hatchlings is like a second scroll is like saying going to the Desert Biome is multiscrolling.

It's a way to cycle out unwanted eggs so people take them. Hatchlings are far more desirable than eggs. When I get a blocker I hatch it and abandon it, because most people will take a hatchling, rather than block up their party for a week or so trying to raise an egg they don't want. Don't consider it as the cave scroll idea. It's a new biome where hatchlings can be found in addition to being a solution for a problem that a lot of users are having.

Edit: Typo. XD

Edited by Kila

Dessert Biome

pfffff -imagines picking up eggs from ice-cream bowl-

Anyways, I like this a lot. If it takes the breeds that need balancing the most, gives you CBs pre-hatched... but sick/easy to make sick...

Totally support and want.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

Fffffffff TCA I'm a pastry chef, give me a break XD I've been making goodies all morning!

I don't think the egg-from-biomes-to-hatchi-in-wasteland thing makes much sense, though? IMO the hatchlings in the Wasteland should originate there, not as a CB egg that 'hatched' and moved across the map somehow.

This is what I originally intended when I posted the idea. I never actually meant for specific eggs that were blocking the cave to be shuffled to the Wasteland as hatchlings. Instead I just meant that blocker breeds would be extremely likely to show up as hatchlings in the Wasteland. But honestly I'm fine with either alternative. Whichever way TJ thinks is best. It seems like making specific eggs move to the Wasteland as hatchlings rather than blocker hatchlings originating there would be more of pain to code, but I'm not a coder so I don't really know.

If they've never been picked up, why would their parents just abandon them to be sick hatchlings? They may not be as able to fend us off, but their parents sure will be able to.

Who says the parents died?

<autosnip>

Sounds like they still have parents to me. o3o

These hatchlings don't necessarily have to be the same dragons as the eggs we see in the cave. There's lots of dragons in the world. Some are living in the cave, guarding their eggs, and some are living elsewhere, perhaps dead, perhaps having abandoned these hatchlings because they're just bad parents, perhaps because these hatchlings are actually runts. There's many reasons baby creatures would find themselves orphaned in the wild.

Some rambling thoughts that constitute neither approval nor rejection:

I tried doing a real egg pile before. It was highly opposed; people prefer their orderly list of eggs, apparently (Because otherwise it becomes a motor skills game).

How do you propose "CB" hatchlings show up? Make up a random "stolen on" date (or don't show an egg date)? Give them random amounts of views (or make them start at 0)?

Where on the map would this be placed?

How is the end result different than the cave scroll idea?

1. I remember the egg pile. The reason it was disliked was because the eggs wound up on top of each other and you couldn't always click on exactly the egg you wanted. We asked you to spread them out and try again, but you never did it. So if you make it like the wilderness pages where nothing stacks, the idea would work a LOT better.

2. Show it as an Orphaned on date.. give them 0/0/0 stats.. and 7 days to grow up, with no change until it counts down to the normal range. Normal eggs grow up in 5 days.. 2 days as an egg and 3 as a hatchling, this just puts all of the time on the hatchling stage.

AND, if you read the normal egg description..

Unborn dragons are actually ready to hatch early on in their development cycle. However, they choose to remain in the safety of their own egg rather than leave it. If a developed dragon is forced out of the security of its egg, it may try to run away or hide.

.. being orphaned could be considered a traumatic experience that forces the hatchling out early, so it IS DC logical.

3. I think that lake area with the pondlets around it on the J-like peninsula at the bottom middle of the map would be perfect.

4. Because it's open to everyone.. uses hatchlings instead of eggs.. and does not violate the full hatching times already in place. But I think the cycle should be much shorter than 10 mins. Personally, I won't sit longer than 3 mins before I either change biomes, change to the AP or just go do something else entirely.

In general.. if you TJ are unable or unwilling to change the way the biomes work and fix things so that they actually refresh when you hit F5, I think this hatchling idea is the best option presented for unblocking the biomes and keeping the game fun.

edited for spelling

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

I have made a list of ways this is different than the cave scroll idea. I will update it as I think of more things.

1. Even though you are catching these dragons as hatchlings rather than eggs, it could still take the same or similar amount of time commitment to get it to adulthood, so it's not really taking an easy way out.

2. The hatchlings could not be influenced because they have already hatched. So yeah, you're getting a "free hatchling" but you can't choose it to be the gender you want, so it's not unreasonably convenient.

3. The hatchlings would hatch sick and probably with 0/0/0 stats. So you'd have to treat them very gingerly and fog them a lot until they get better, and ultimately get their stats up to a normal level before they can become adults. So they'd be a bit of a pain to deal with and you couldn't just shove them in fansites the moment you catch them.

4. You wouldn't be able to use them as a shortcut to making Neglected dragons. With the cave scroll idea you could have picked up ER CB eggs easily and had several experiments lined up only 3 days later. With this, it doesn't create any shortcuts to ND experiments because the hatchlings would actually take longer to get to their dying time than regular stuff that you catch from the biomes.

I really liked the cave scroll idea but I feel like TJ's main opposition to it was the fact that it made it too easy on the users to get a lot of adults really quickly. I feel like this idea still accomplishes the same things the cave scroll idea does (lets people use hatchling slots rather than egg slots on blocker breeds, meaning people are more likely to pick them up), but without it being too easy and too convenient to get them to adults, and without dramatically increasing dragon turnover speed. And yet even despite the inconveniences, people would still pick the hatchlings up and raise them because they aren't doing anything else with those hatchling slots.

Edited by Renorei

Perhaps this has been addressed, but I would like to point out something regarding why/ how hatchlings could be on their own.

When an animal is overpopulated, it is not out of the realm of possibility for them to stop raising young. If an adult can not get enough resources to raise young, it won't do it. So, if we consider blockers to be overpopulated, then it is entirely reasonable that the adults would 'kick out' eggs or hatchlings and these poor youngsters would try to survive on their own, somewhere away from where they were originally laid... ie the wasteland.

There are real animals that do this, so dragons could certainly do it as well.

I really like this idea. It seems pretty balanced between giving an incentive to pick up cave blockers without making things too easy. And it makes sense from an RP perspective.

I really like this idea, it wouldn't necessarily be easier to get them to adulthood but at least I could then use all of my slots instead of only eight of them with the four eggs I'm able to have and the four hatchlings I normally end up with at the same time.

I don't have any red dragons yet so I can't use incubate in order to hatch my eggs faster, I have to wait three days or so for them to hatch and then another three days or so for them to mature.

I really like this idea. Cinnamin Draconna pretty much summed up my thoughts on the points TJ brought up quite nicely.

I think the arguments have been laid out wonderfully and make sense to me. I would like to see this implemented. It would make it more challenging to raise this hatchlings because of their sickness/proneness to sickness. Also like the idea it takes longer to nurse these hatchlings. I've raised orphaned/premature animals and they do take longer to mature compared to those who have parents caring for them. I would raise a lot more "cave blockers" if they were already hatchlings because I usually have used all my slots for bred eggs and don't have any extra space.